Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Arcturas posted:

The receiver plugs directly into the flight control board almost all the time.
The flight control board has: a connection to the receiver, a connection to all the ESCs, and a connection to whatever other stuff you want to move (ESCs/gimbal motors for a motorized camera mount, a buzzer for a battery warning). One of the ESC connections needs to have power.
The ESCs connect to the flight control board, the battery, and their particular motor.
The battery connects only to ESCs (and maybe cameras I guess?).
The motors connect only to their particular ESC.

I barely know anything about quads (only what I read, no hands-on). Can you clarify "One of the ESC connections needs to have power"? I thought ESCs had battery and flight controller in one side, motor out the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.
I assume he means one of the servo leads from the esc needs to have the red positive connection attached so the 5v out BEC gives power to the flight controller.

JawnV6 posted:

Is there a concise resource for getting into quadcopters? At least sorting out the terminology and options for various subsystems?

I've sorta been fumbling around through a bunch of forums and other odd pages. I know the basics of ESC's, I've downloaded the SimonK firmware. But it's all these one-off parts of the full system that assume you already know/don't care about the rest. Like I need to understand how I'd replace everything from the RF link to the ESC, and I don't even know what to label all the components and software between those two points.

Here is a simple wiring diagram to give you an idea of how a fpv quad is wired. The only invisible magic not shown is that the pads where the arms attach are actually all connected to the battery as a lot of quads use a printed circuit board for a lower frame.

The flight controller is the Motherboard and your power distribution board/frame is your power supply. Each ESC must be connected for power to the power supply, and each esc also must connect to the flight controller which sends it throttle signals. Most ESCs also have a regulated BEC which outputs 5v via the servo connector. This is more important in planes where it would power your receiver directly.

Your receiver is abstracted from direct control of the ESCs and connected to the flight controller either by individual cables to each channel(elevator, throttle, etc) or using a single cable that carries a signal with all channels(ppm, sbus). The flight controller will power the reciever.

Other than that the only hiccup is some flight controllers are not able to be powered by the ESC's BEC and have separate voltage monitors/controllers which handle powering the unit as well as work as a battery level sensor. For those controllers it is recommended to remove the red power wire from your esc servo leads.

tehk fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 1, 2014

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
I got my mini Y6 built and flying around. It's a bit too underpowered to carry the Mobius gimbal right now, but I think with some weight reduction it's possible. It flies great with the Mobius and a 2200mah 3S, though. AUW is 575g

Using Suppo A1510 2200kv motors with 6 amp ESCs and 400mw 5.8ghz with a PZ0420 camera. Naze32 FC and Rangelink UHF.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
My FPV camera and other gear came in :woop: just waiting for the actual plane, etc. Tested the gear and it seems A-OK.

I'm considering ImmersionRC's EzOSD to add on to things because I love the feature set and seems genuinely useful.

Can anyone fill me in on the difference between the "plain" ImmersionRC EzOSD (http://www.multirotorheli.ca/products/ezosd-on-screen-display) vs the "Team Black Sheep" version (http://www.profotouav.com/product/tbs-immersion-ezosd/)?

Other than like $60 more :raise: I don't really get what's different (other than one of them can't be found in stock for neither love nor money at the moment.)

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Vitamin J posted:

I got my mini Y6 built and flying around. It's a bit too underpowered to carry the Mobius gimbal right now, but I think with some weight reduction it's possible. It flies great with the Mobius and a 2200mah 3S, though. AUW is 575g

Using Suppo A1510 2200kv motors with 6 amp ESCs and 400mw 5.8ghz with a PZ0420 camera. Naze32 FC and Rangelink UHF.

Can the motors and escs handle 4s? Or three bladed props on 3s? I'm running my 1960kv motors on 4s but thats with 12a escs. They pull 9a at full throttle.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.

mashed_penguin posted:

Can the motors and escs handle 4s? Or three bladed props on 3s? I'm running my 1960kv motors on 4s but thats with 12a escs. They pull 9a at full throttle.
Naw they can't do 4S. Maybe 3 blade props on 3S. I just got these motors to get me in the air fast and cheap. I have my eye on a set of T-Motor 1806s or maybe I'll just wait til some new lines of motors come out, I have a feeling the mini MR market will explode shortly.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

What's the reason you have up and down props on all three arms? Just getting more power on each arm in a smaller footprint?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Arcturas posted:

What's the reason you have up and down props on all three arms? Just getting more power on each arm in a smaller footprint?

It's a Y6 hexacopter, so the orange props spin one direction and the black props spin the opposite. The copter yaws by spinning the orange ones faster or slower than the black ones, which "twists" the copter from the torque generated.

It can also offer some redundancy in case a motor or prop fails, but the flight controller has to be able to compensate for the failed motor.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

Yeah the general idea is to have the power of 6 motors on a frame that's the size of a tricopter. They are slightly less efficient when stacked though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y6JtgN1kZA

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

I had my first good proper fpv flights with the qav250 yesterday. I'm still getting used to it but it is so much fun. Much more fun to fly than my bigger quad. I'm getting a bit of jello on the mobius so I need to do a pass balancing props etc and add a bit more foam on the camera mount.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd96ZWsYqO4

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Finally got my motor and finished building this one tonight:

(Cody's latest creation).
Hope to get out of work early enough to maiden it.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Awesome! Let me know how you like it.

On my way to the Joe Nall fly in right now. Going to be awesome.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

mashed_penguin posted:

I had my first good proper fpv flights with the qav250 yesterday. I'm still getting used to it but it is so much fun. Much more fun to fly than my bigger quad. I'm getting a bit of jello on the mobius so I need to do a pass balancing props etc and add a bit more foam on the camera mount.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd96ZWsYqO4

I flew a mini FPV for the first time recently as well. It was really some of the most fun I've had. Screw heavy things.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Crossposting from the AI aeronautical insanity thread:

Dagon posted:

Can we talk about drone stuff? Lets talk about drone stuff.

I spent the beginning of this week at the AUVSI unmanned systems trade show in Orlando. It was huge and pretty fun. My company is a tiny IT company and our state department of commerce invited us and some others to send some people along with their team, hopefully to learn some poo poo and start doing things with drones particularly in agriculture here. But enough of that here are some lovely pictures (full size album here)

Last night was their big mixer, and Northrop-Grumman shut down Universal Studios and gave us all free rides, booze, and food. It was pretty sweet.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Hah cool. Those are some fancy looking toys. I saw some of the flite test guys went there to see the new parrot drone.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

mashed_penguin posted:

Hah cool. Those are some fancy looking toys. I saw some of the flite test guys went there to see the new parrot drone.

Yeah parrot was there showing off the bebop, jumping sumo, and rolling spider in a big netted off area where they would come out every 15 minutes or so and do a little preprogrammed "dance" (in addition to their more serious eBee offerings). I got a bit of it on video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrGn1h_eecU

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.
That x8 with the split arm booms is pretty dumb. Wonder why they just didn't just mount the second motors upside down on the same arm and save a ton of weight.

This mini quad craze has me tempted. Is there a reliably restocked source for either the Tiger MN1806 2300kv or the Sunnysky X2204 2300kv? Are they the only worthy 3s options? Frame wise is the blackout actually worth it or is it just bandwagoning? Better options?

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

tehk posted:

That x8 with the split arm booms is pretty dumb. Wonder why they just didn't just mount the second motors upside down on the same arm and save a ton of weight.

This mini quad craze has me tempted. Is there a reliably restocked source for either the Tiger MN1806 2300kv or the Sunnysky X2204 2300kv? Are they the only worthy 3s options? Frame wise is the blackout actually worth it or is it just bandwagoning? Better options?

Those motors are in a worldwide supply shortage. I'm running my 250 on cobra 2204 1960kv motors on 4s. The extra power is nice for pulling out of a hard dive quickly. Flight times are good at arrond 8 mins of mixed flying using 1300mah 4s packs.

Punch out at full throttle is pretty :stare:

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

I did a video to explain all the different regs and documents relating to the FAA and FPV along with the FCC and AMA and focus specifically on Raphael Pirker's precedent setting case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSV6lpc6Ceo

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Vitamin J posted:

I did a video to explain all the different regs and documents relating to the FAA and FPV along with the FCC and AMA and focus specifically on Raphael Pirker's precedent setting case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSV6lpc6Ceo

Nice. Thats a lot of :effort: to go to the trouble of making that :)

I had my 250 out in a pretty strong wind yesterday. I still need to balance my motors and prop adaptors to get rid of my mobius jello but it was a good time. The mini handled the wind so much better than I was expecting. I didn't even bother flying my Caipirinha as it was too strong to have fun with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv1fW3OEvng Warning loud motor noise. Best to mute. Unless you like the sound of angry hornets.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

Thanks yeah it was a lot of talking but I'm just getting so tired of reading everywhere about a 400ft FAA law or this or that, even magazines and newspapers don't do any research past calling the FAA's local office and asking the receptionist it seems.

I thought I posted this earlier but didn't post it here, but the annual Colorado FPV meet is coming up soon, here are the details!

Hello all Colorado and nearby FPVers! The time has come again for another FPV meetup and campout in South Park, CO. Every year has been a great turnout of FPVers and a great time. We have a great location picked out on BLM land away from everything where we can fly all we want over wide open spaces. We have woggle courses and races and contests as well as just hanging out by the campfire.

See our main meetup thread on FPVLab here:
http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?25680-2014-4th-Annual-Colorado-Spring-FPV-Meet...-June-6th-8th

quote:

Bring your planes, bring a crash kit, bring your camping gear, and bring some meat to cook on a stick over the camp fire (don't forget your favorite beverage to enjoy too). It is time for 4th annual Colorado Spring FPV Meet.

Planned activities/events:
- Woggle course
A series of gates setup in a circuit/course. Fly the circuit for fun or challenge others in a time challenge (fastest time to complete 3 laps wins).
I would also like to propose that a second woggle competition be held, because not everyone has a 1000watt SkyHunter or a hot flying wing. This will be to complete the woggle course again three laps and the time will be the diference between your fastest and slowest laps... consistency will determine the winner of this event.
Here is the winning run from last year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvBkAco5Cqs

- Scratch Build 401 Deer Turd Challenge
This is a world wide competition to complete a predefined mission based on time, distance, and weight carried... we Coloradans are going to put a little spin on it though. We are going to build the plane in the middle of nowhere as a team/collaborative effort.

If you have something else that you would like to do at the meet let me know and I will update this post.

Some videos to get you excited.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7tfxk6ZwA8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3OMp3DTR5g

Here are some of the threads from years past for an idea of what to expect:
http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?4617-Spring-Colorado-FPV-meet
http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?7003-2012-Colorado-Summer-FPV-Meet
http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?12884-3rd-Annual-Colorado-FPV-Meet-May-2013

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

It seems like everything decent miniquad wise is out of stock everywhere. I am keen on either a v2 qav250 carbon/plastic, or the blackout and they seem to be impossible to find like the popular motors. I tried ordering from two Lumenier distributors only to find out they actually dont have any on hand but forgot to mention it on their site.

Giving getfpv or readymade a week to get poo poo in stock or I guess I will take a pass until my Vector flight controller proves to be more than vaporware I paid $200 for.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Are there any miniquad frames that have prop covers/prop guards? I'd really like a frame kinda like the Parrot, but half the length/width, that I could build with. I'd like the guards partly to save on prop replacement, but mostly so I can feel safer around the thing.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

If you want a miniquad you better get used to breaking props. The 5x3s will break during normal flight.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Front wing flexing how are you liking that turnigy sk450? Haven't heard many updates and I'm getting ready to purchase.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

More fun with my Caipirinha tearing around the rubble piles. I've finally got it set up well enough for some longer range flights. I have a few hills and mountains in mind to give it a go with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXrrKnWSW2c

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

mashed_penguin posted:

More fun with my Caipirinha tearing around the rubble piles. I've finally got it set up well enough for some longer range flights. I have a few hills and mountains in mind to give it a go with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXrrKnWSW2c

Can you make it available for mobile?

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Can you make it available for mobile?

It should be. I just tried it on my phone. It has acklolwedged 3rd party music so maybe that has something to do with it depending on your location. I just tried it from USA internet though. :shrug:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
:woop:

Finally arrived. 1st half of my order was in my hands in days. 2nd half (the actual plane, etc) took much longer. (There was still snow on the ground when I placed the order)

My first RC aircraft in about 25 years! drat but I have catching up to do, I regularly run across poo poo so common knowledge nowadays that no one explains it any more.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Yeah, 2.4 ghz and spektrum were not a thing in 2000. Now, Hobbytown does not sell 75 Mhz hardware anymore. I was excited things are easier now, but figuring out what hardware I could salvage was annoying.

To add to that, I can now buy a homebrew 2.4 ghz DSMX module and plug it into my Hitec Prism and make it do the modern bind and fly dance for $100 :psyduck:

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

Here's Part 2 of my DRONE LAW series. This one focuses mostly on state, county, and city laws and BLM land.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OViJmxidOxM

Cunning Plan
Apr 15, 2003
After impulse buying a Syma X1 and enjoying the hell out of it for the last month or so, I decided to build a larger quad. This is what I came up with:

It's based on this hobbyking build. A 330mm frame, HobbyKing KK controller (sadly not the KK2), with 8x4 inch props and 1200KV motors (on a 3s battery). I'm hoping to eventually have a setup with a more fancy GPS enabled flight controller on it, probably a Pixhawk, but wanted something to get me in the air right away before I sink $$$ into control boards.

It had it's maiden flight today, and to be honest it scared the crap out of me; it's REALLY fast/aggressive in flight, I could only just control it (as evidenced by the scratched up propellers). I'm going to try dialing down the sensitivity on the transmitter handset sticks (there's a "dual rate" feature that will let me set the range of the sticks), is that the recommended way of taming an overly aggressive quad?

ickna
May 19, 2004

Cunning Plan posted:

After impulse buying a Syma X1 and enjoying the hell out of it for the last month or so, I decided to build a larger quad. This is what I came up with:

It's based on this hobbyking build. A 330mm frame, HobbyKing KK controller (sadly not the KK2), with 8x4 inch props and 1200KV motors (on a 3s battery). I'm hoping to eventually have a setup with a more fancy GPS enabled flight controller on it, probably a Pixhawk, but wanted something to get me in the air right away before I sink $$$ into control boards.

It had it's maiden flight today, and to be honest it scared the crap out of me; it's REALLY fast/aggressive in flight, I could only just control it (as evidenced by the scratched up propellers). I'm going to try dialing down the sensitivity on the transmitter handset sticks (there's a "dual rate" feature that will let me set the range of the sticks), is that the recommended way of taming an overly aggressive quad?

Learn to use smaller control inputs, or change the transmitter rates.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.
So I have a E-flite Apprentice and bought a charger, but the cables don't match up, and I can't find any information on what the hell I need to get to actually charge this thing (the charger it comes with is DC only, and I didn't want to buy a power supply or use a car battery). Anyone have information on what I need to get?

I'm sure it's obvious if you already know what you are looking for, but for whatever reason it is hard to find information on all the different connection types.

I also ordered a couple of 2S 180mAh batteries from E-flite, what other thing will I need to charge those? I'm sure it won't just be plugging it in and being happy.

subx fucked around with this message at 05:17 on May 29, 2014

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Cunning Plan posted:

It's based on this hobbyking build. A 330mm frame, HobbyKing KK controller (sadly not the KK2), with 8x4 inch props and 1200KV motors (on a 3s battery).

If/when you break the arms on that 330mm frame, you can just get the 450mm frame since that motor/prop combo can easily lift way more than you can squeeze onto a 330 frame. Also you can tame down the lift/fall balance a bit by adding more weight if you're having trouble hovering at 50% throttle or descending. Though try setting your radio's dual rates first of course.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

subx posted:

So I have a E-flite Apprentice and bought a charger, but the cables don't match up, and I can't find any information on what the hell I need to get to actually charge this thing (the charger it comes with is DC only, and I didn't want to buy a power supply or use a car battery). Anyone have information on what I need to get?

I'm sure it's obvious if you already know what you are looking for, but for whatever reason it is hard to find information on all the different connection types.

I also ordered a couple of 2S 180mAh batteries from E-flite, what other thing will I need to charge those? I'm sure it won't just be plugging it in and being happy.

The chargers will typically need something like a 12-19v DC charger with a tip is positive polarity. Depends on the charger, but most can use a decent range of DC input.

As for the cables you need, take pictures of the connectors

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Whelp :raise:

Wings literally do not fit into the provided slots. What a bummer. Going through the RMA process.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 13:50 on May 29, 2014

Widdershins
May 19, 2007
Not even trying

Mister Sinewave posted:

Wings literally do not fit into the provided slots. What a bummer. Going through the RMA process.

With HobbyKing? :ohdear:

Try hot / boiling water, steam or a hair dryer to bend those fuckers back into place.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I fired up the Live Chat on the Hobby King website and it went fine.

The chat responder connected me with a product specialist who confirmed the wings in my kit were faulty based on my photos. They waited in the chat while I filled out the online RMA form, then processed the RMA, confirmed replacements were available and connected me to a customer service rep who finalized an order for replacements to fulfill the RMA.

Lots of waiting in between chat updates, so almost an hour and a half from start to finish but it all went fine. I'm disappointed I'll have more waiting before I can fly, but that's life.

Unless I find some way to MAKE these fit in the meantime. (It's styrofoam like a cheap picnic cooler, so I don't think boiling water or heat gun will work, but I might as well try something.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

on the left posted:

The chargers will typically need something like a 12-19v DC charger with a tip is positive polarity. Depends on the charger, but most can use a decent range of DC input.

As for the cables you need, take pictures of the connectors
This is SA isn't it? You can build a charger power supply out of an old PC power supply with a few easy mods.