Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Sniep posted:

i find a bunch for sale on ebay and surplus sites but nobody says what it /does/ other than "analyzer'

what does it anal?

it can show you the packets on a bus with a standard defined in the early 70s, i dunno how specific i can be without you being able to work out where i work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Awia posted:

it can show you the packets on a bus with a standard defined in the early 70s, i dunno how specific i can be without you being able to work out where i work

im not saying that it was specifically built for this, but thats what we use it for

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sniep posted:

i find a bunch for sale on ebay and surplus sites but nobody says what it /does/ other than "analyzer'

what does it anal?

logic analyzer

i.e. an o-scope that exists specifically for dealing w/ digital stuff on PCBs

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

itt awia showing us his o-scope

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Progressive JPEG posted:

itt awia showing us his o-scope

everyday

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

$3000 for a used one. that lil box was how much new, back when?

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

you can probably get a new one with 1000x the power and features for a 10th of the price but you have to use this one because a document somewhere says so.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

i think we had actual pci cards that did the same thing at one point, but then another department wanted them and so we gave them all away?

i have no idea how much they cost new, an absurd amount to be sure

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
i'm curious. are there any unfixable design flaws or things that could be better in the linux kernel?

i'm not talking vague stuff like 3rd party drivers or whatev i am talking about specific things e.g. if the design of threads prevents better memory sharing or whatev

basically. if you went back in time and also became linus what are the changes you would make?

e: asssuming u have todays tech and languages

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

the internals can be fixed, it's all the POSIX API stuff that we're stuck with and is terrible

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
yeah the posix api is utter poo poo, but sadly, it will never change :/

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I'd fix the driver APIso that we can more easily suspend and resume them. The current hibernate / suspend tricks we play are terrible, and they break literally every kernel release. The issue is that the internal API for drivers is bad and assumes constant-power, and nobody wants to fix it. Too much work.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

thing is, the probem seems to me to be more that higher-level apis don't seem to congeal on linux like they do elsewhere. all the primitive apis on windows are *awful*, but there are a bunch of stacks above the cleans up and straightens things out. the ecosystem on linux does for some reason not really push in that direction as naturally. java plasters over all of it nicely, and has a pretty big role in server software as an immediate result

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

thing is, the probem seems to me to be more that higher-level apis don't seem to congeal on linux like they do elsewhere. all the primitive apis on windows are *awful*, but there are a bunch of stacks above the cleans up and straightens things out. the ecosystem on linux does for some reason not really push in that direction as naturally. java plasters over all of it nicely, and has a pretty big role in server software as an immediate result

by this line of thinking, higher-level APIs don't exist on windows either. they get implemented in userspace. new kernel interfaces are rare and often unstable (you are supposed to go through the cool userspace library)

there are shitloads of higher-level userspace apis on linux. you already mentioned java. qt is also worth mentioning (it abstracts everything including poo poo like the threading model). the mono ecosystem is cool. perl/python/ruby have worlds unto themselves.

being userspace all this wild poo poo is usually ported to other unix systems

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pseudorandom name posted:

the internals can be fixed, it's all the POSIX API stuff that we're stuck with and is terrible

not just "can," they actually do

the internals get "fixed" all the fuckin time. sweeping changes happen between releases

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
on the weekend i blew away my ubuntu-server NAS and replaced it with wheezy, all went well because of the similarities and i'm happy that i finally have it all documented

i wanted to use a more recent sabnzbd though so i added the jessie repos to my sources.list, set "stable" as the default-release in apt.conf, and ran apt-get for sabnzbdplus with -t testing

two questions:
is that the best way to do it since it's the only package i want from testing? the pinning stuff seemed overkill for this.
when apt gets the dependencies for that package, does it install them from testing too or does it get them from stable if the required version is available?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

you've wasted your weekend

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

gabensraum posted:

is that the best way to do it since it's the only package i want from testing? the pinning stuff seemed overkill for this.
set up pinning once, never worry about it again. you really, really want pinning.
http://jaqque.sbih.org/kplug/apt-pinning.html

p.s. mixing stable and testing is kinda icky/dangerous. mixing testing and unstable is n.b.d.

gabensraum posted:

when apt gets the dependencies for that package, does it install them from testing too or does it get them from stable if the required version is available?

try to satisfy from stable:
code:
apt-get install testing/foo
get everything from testing:
code:
apt-get -t testing install foo

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

Last Chance posted:

you've wasted your weekend

all good advice thanks.

would prefer not to mix testing but it's for this one app that is otherwise way behind
https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=sabnzbdplus

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

gabensraum posted:

all good advice thanks.

would prefer not to mix testing but it's for this one app that is otherwise way behind
https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=sabnzbdplus

yeah. just upgrade the whole thing to testing

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
hey is this the point in the conversation where someone is wishing debian had more regular releases so problems like this wouldn't happen so often

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ShadowHawk posted:

hey is this the point in the conversation where someone is wishing debian had more regular releases so problems like this wouldn't happen so often

debian has perfectly good regular releases. i am recommending one of the rolling releases.

is this the part where you pitch for a year old snapshot of debian with chunks replaced by idiots?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

debian has perfectly good regular releases. i am recommending one of the rolling releases.

is this the part where you pitch for a year old snapshot of debian with chunks replaced by idiots?
no not really rolling releases of testing are a reasonable thing for debian to do and I'm not really sure why they bother with stable anymore

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ShadowHawk posted:

no not really rolling releases of testing are a reasonable thing for debian to do and I'm not really sure why they bother with stable anymore

lol

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

To be clear Debian doesn't really have the infrastructure or organization to do or support stable releases properly. They do, however, have the ability to incorporate growing amounts of automated testing and phased migrations which you absolutely need if you're going to even attempt rolling releases.

I'll note that a lot of the testing infrastructure is big in Ubuntu (this is the sort of stuff that benefits both projects when Ubuntu devs put on their Debian hats).

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
you really don't sense the irony in your shitposts do you

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you really don't sense the irony in your shitposts do you
Rolling releases are ok, consistent high quality stable ones are better.
Debian's ok, Ubuntu is better.

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
a linux is garbage hth

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
this thread is good and informative thanks all :)

colbylol posted:

a linux is garbage hth

as opposed to....?

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

osx given by steves (pbuh) own hand

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

theadder posted:

osx given by steves (pbuh) own hand

*said in geese from fatal fury voice*
PREDICTABO

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

maybe canvass the thoughts of gbs

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR

theadder posted:

maybe canvass the thoughts of gbs

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yeah. just upgrade the whole thing to testing

cool thanks. had considered that on installation but didn't care how old everything else was and didn't know mixing was fraught

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR
how long do you have to use lunix for before you can do the thing you actually wanted to do on the computer instead of just loving with the operating system to cajole it into doing basic poo poo

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

penus de milo posted:

how long do you have to use lunix for before you can do the thing you actually wanted to do on the computer instead of just loving with the operating system to cajole it into doing basic poo poo

install Ubuntu/mint and you'll be up and running from the get go

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

the time to actual functional use in any linux is infinite, as there will always be one niggling thing stopping you from doing actual work

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

penus de milo posted:

i have no interest in using a desktop linux again any time soon but it's the easiest way to get this servery bullshit done

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

penus de milo posted:

ten years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

saucepanman posted:

install Ubuntu/mint and you'll be up and running from the get go

yeah don't do this

the great thing about ubuntu is i can immediately tell who is an idiot at conferences, tech events etc