Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I use 2 +5 chariot lances powerstanced in pvp with a random assortment of goofy looking creepy armour. I tend to win my pvp encounters, provided it's 1v1. Iron bridge is pretty bad against spellcasters and dual avelyns though, given the small circle strafing radius. Most people just aren't that great at pvp cause this game seems to have a whole shitload more crutches in it than either demons or dark souls 1, so people just never learn to melee all that well.

The things that piss me off the most are wrath of the gods and emit force. Dark fog is pretty annoying too cause it seems impossible to dodge. Avelyns are annoying cause a dodge roll is only long enough to dodge two of the three bolts, so unless I have a good radius to strafe in I get hit by the last bolt.

I tend to invade now rather than summon (although I summon dragon spirits to kill when I'm bored) because bizarrely the lag seems to benefit the invader more than the invadee. As an invadee I hit a lot of center mass stabs that miss, while getting hit by attacks that on my screen don't even connect. Meanwhile, as an invader I hit when I don't hit and I dodge all the loving time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
So Im a level 83 Mage with over 50 points in intelligence, yet I dont feel like I am doing very much damage. How do I get my spells do do more damage? Or am I supposed to not be a pure Mage?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

strategery posted:

So Im a level 83 Mage with over 50 points in intelligence, yet I dont feel like I am doing very much damage. How do I get my spells do do more damage? Or am I supposed to not be a pure Mage?

Reinforce your catalyst or get a better one. Get better spells.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Ireland Sucks posted:

Someone say something nice about scythes or twinblades, I was really looking forward to using one or the other but apparently they are complete poo poo. Is it possible to be competitive with either? I think I have all of them except for the curved twinblade at the moment.

Scythes have a neat move set but their damage is pretty bad (and all slash damage) unless you take them elemental. I've heard good things about the silverblack sickle and the scythe of want. The half moon sickle (think it's called -- from the huntsman's copse guys) has natural bleed that gets really high if you infuse it but that's useless. They are fun to use. The hits-around shields gimmick is kinda pointless though and their combos are bad because the sweet spot is really fussy. If you nail the first hit you'll probably miss the sweet spot on the second. Those are the nicest things I can say about scythes.

I haven't used twinblades but they seem pretty bad. I don't think the red iron one is as twirly so it might be alright.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

strategery posted:

Reinforce your Catalyst, find a better one and reinforce it, and when you can infuse it with a Magic stone.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

neetengie posted:

Reinforce your Catalyst, find a better one and reinforce it, and when you can infuse it with a Magic stone.
Faintstone. Magic stone is for enchanted.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cowcaster posted:

Couple of ways I can think of off the top of my head:
  • Two-handed ultra greatsword weapons can't be parried
  • Spells can't be parried
  • Whips can't be parried

Out of curiosity can regular greatswords be parried when used with two hands? Almost no one actually tries to parry and I personally just use a greatshield so I'm not sure.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I'm a guard breakin' parryin' motherfucker and absolutely nobody sees it coming.

Its because I use a dag in my main hand and have absolutely no damage output besides my one instakill face / backstab.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Is the DS2 character builder at mugenmonkey not fully functional yet? I tried to use it but the gear lists didn't seem to be populated.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Just discovered that NPC invaders can also trigger bluecop helpers. Must be desperate for work. :v:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Motherfucker posted:

I'm a guard breakin' parryin' motherfucker and absolutely nobody sees it coming.

Its because I use a dag in my main hand and have absolutely no damage output besides my one instakill face / backstab.

I fought a guy in Belfry Luna with a shield and dagger and it didn't end well for me.

I'm a pretty goddamn brainless fighter, though.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Paracelsus posted:

Is the DS2 character builder at mugenmonkey not fully functional yet? I tried to use it but the gear lists didn't seem to be populated.
Yeah, it's still WIP. Gamehub has a character planner too but I don't like it as much.
E: Here it is.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

First time dueling a dragon remnant. Some dude named Chang in the Lost Bastille. He ran off into a bunch of mobs after I poisoned him, then proceeded to move further and further into the level until I eventually cornered him and he jumped to his death. Whole thing took like 8 minutes with me killing off mobs trying to find him.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

RBA Starblade posted:

Out of curiosity can regular greatswords be parried when used with two hands? Almost no one actually tries to parry and I personally just use a greatshield so I'm not sure.

Much to my chagrin, yes. Monastery scimitar users are the one build I consistently lose to with my main dickwraith. The thorned greatsword is fantastic but it attacks just slow enough that it can be parried reliably with the scimitar. I've tried standing back and spamming the ranged attack, but one particularly crafty foe realized he could just roll up me and parry right before I finished. Since the ranged attack is part of the strong attack it counts as a normal attack, and thus could be parried.

So to answer your question greatswords can be parried no matter what, and due to their slow speed they are particularly vulnerable to it. Doesn't matter most of the time but the monastery scimitar makes parrying so easy its a legitimate issue. Hence why I'm trying to get a whip as a backup weapon.

Harry Joe
Jan 15, 2006
My name be neither Harry, nor Joe, but Harry Joe shall do
I'm really loving my spotted whip. I'll be the first to admit I'm not even that good, I still get caught by the tips of a lot of weapons when I think i'm safe and make some dumb mistakes but man, there is nothing more satisfying then beating some tryhard havels avelyn santiers hex user with a whip and smart play.

I still get my rear end kicked often enough by dudes who can stunlock 2 shot me with sunlight blade and poo poo but whatever, I'm willing to bet I'm having a lot more fun then anyone who runs any kind of optimal dps build.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

As someone who makes great mileage out of the Monastery Scimitar, unless you have an unparryable weapon, don't attack unless their parry animation is out, and don't swing more than once at a time unless you're really confident in the stunlock. And if you see them backstepping a lot whenever you get in range, just wait, because they're gonna gently caress up their backstep parry eventually.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
Aside from Ultra Greatswords and Whips, are there any other unparryable weapons? Great Axes perhaps?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Pretty sure there's not enough spaces to do that.

Seriously the game should give you way more space for your name.

There is actually enough space but the game won't let you actually fill it.

If you're willing to hack your name, it can go even longer than that and the game will cheerfully render it without complaint.

Kerc Kasha
Apr 18, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

It seems so because some monastery scimitar shitlord did it to my claymore

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Magus42 posted:

Aside from Ultra Greatswords and Whips, are there any other unparryable weapons? Great Axes perhaps?

As far as I can tell power stance attacks can't be parried.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Magus42 posted:

I forgot to mention, you can always do jump attacks.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I had a hilarious bug happen in an arena duel when somebody parried my MLGS beam attack. I got knocked over like normal, but he got hit by the beam, and when he went to deal the finishing blow he got stuck.

We just sat there, me unable to get up and him unable to do anything but switch weapons, until finally he left and I won :v:

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Here's a decent video about unparryable weapons if you mute it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsry_ByDGIA

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

argondamn posted:

As someone who makes great mileage out of the Monastery Scimitar, unless you have an unparryable weapon, don't attack unless their parry animation is out, and don't swing more than once at a time unless you're really confident in the stunlock. And if you see them backstepping a lot whenever you get in range, just wait, because they're gonna gently caress up their backstep parry eventually.

Maybe this is one of the weird things that's harder on PC but the back step parry is just pushing two buttons at the same time, it's like impossible to mess up.

Harry Joe posted:

I'm really loving my spotted whip. I'll be the first to admit I'm not even that goodI still get caught by the tips of a lot of weapons when I think i'm safe and make some dumb mistakes but man, there is nothing more satisfying then beating some tryhard havels avelyn santiers hex user with a whip and smart play.

I still get my rear end kicked often enough by dudes who can stunlock 2 shot me with sunlight blade and poo poo but whatever, I'm willing to bet I'm having a lot more funthen anyone who runs any kind of optimal dps build.

PRETTY SKEPTICAL ABOUT BOTH THESE THINGS.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I know it's suboptimal for PvP but the times I've been invaded in NG+ the moonlight greatsword has acquitted itself wonderfully. For some reason people just don't expect a hunk of the aggro crag to throw out an anime death laser like that.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

the Curved Dragon Greatsword is probably suboptimal for PvP but I've had a lot of fun and decent effectiveness with it. I think it's so uncommon in PvP that a lot of people just don't expect it.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

There are a lot of suboptimal weapons in pvp that are still great. There was a video of one dude destroying people with a two-handed estoc and poking people in full Havels for a piddly 150 damage, repeatedly, until they died.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cardboard Box posted:

the Curved Dragon Greatsword is probably suboptimal for PvP but I've had a lot of fun and decent effectiveness with it. I think it's so uncommon in PvP that a lot of people just don't expect it.

Speaking of which, my first chance to test the monastery scimitar parry in pvp happened to a guy using the curved dragon greatsword tonight. I felt a little bit guilty about it, but after he survived the coup de grace I followed it up with a great resonant soul and gibbed him. Then I felt really guilty.

Hooray for idiotically powerful twink builds :getin:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
People get pretty scared when a bunch of barrels suddenly turn into COOLSWORDBRO replete with the Desert Sorceress Skirt, the Elite armor, and the Bluemoon Greatsword. Mom let me dress myself today! :downs:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
http://a.pomf.se/wxauaz.webm
http://a.pomf.se/vruybs.webm

In the words of Benjamin Franklin, "Hold on to your butts."

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My full caster Cleric is actually insanely damaging to Havel's idiots. I bait out their horrifically slow attacks because of course they are also using some huge sword and then smash them apart with a full two-handed Lightning Mace +10 combo. I think Emit Force seems to have a bonus against armor somewhat because it feels like it does way more to lovely Havel guys who cant even roll out of the way than it does to light armored dudes.

Harry Joe
Jan 15, 2006
My name be neither Harry, nor Joe, but Harry Joe shall do

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

PRETTY SKEPTICAL ABOUT BOTH THESE THINGS.

As you should be, there are a few bs builds that pretty much insta kill me and that's no fun, but I'm getting better against even the most bullshit of builds and anytime i can make some try hard actually have to try hard to kill a dude in a butterfly costume that does 9 dmg to him (with poison of course) then I consider it a moral victory.

Also there is absolutely nothing more satisfying then having some havels santiers lamer get all his poo poo broken with corrosive urns and being absolutely useless for a bit before they jump into the lava.

Sure it's not optimal, and if your idea of fun is being able to win without any effort the vast majority of the time, maybe not for you, but I got bored of my uber pvp build super quick and trying to make those suboptimal but quirky builds work is much much more fun.

Harry Joe fucked around with this message at 06:19 on May 26, 2014

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
:wtc: The Old Whip is losing 7 durability per lash.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cyberventurer posted:

This is why my gimmick invader INDIANA JONES failed really hard.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

So, Bellbros --

http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/26hlcc/you_can_summon_a_dragonbro_to_prevent_bellhop/

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it luck on the part of the poster, or a verified truth?

Seems like a pain in the rear end to me, and not really worth bothering with, but I guess it's...a thing.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

turtlecrunch posted:

what exactly is this? I've seen a couple people use it in PvP.

edit: oh wait it's probably Emit Force like it says :v:

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

turtlecrunch posted:

I murdered someone doing this in the Bell Tower with my DS1-style Wrath of God.

What's really nasty about this is that I am pretty sure the projectile does not appear on the other end. So you get killed by an invisible attack.

EDIT: Cardboard, the first one is someone editing an R1 or R2 attack to produce the Moonlight Wave. The second is Emit Force projectile swap, which I think produces regular Emit Force on the other end.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 06:25 on May 26, 2014

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Cyberventurer posted:

Welcome to the FPS durability glitch.

From made it so that you can damage weapons multiple times in a single swing/poke. :darksouls:

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Tallgeese posted:

Cardboard, the first one is someone editing an R1 or R2 attack to produce the Moonlight Wave. The problem is, if it's not attached to its natural attack, it might be invisible to the opponent.

ohhh huh. that's... interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

The opponent I killed doing this had an invisible projectile, so it's nastier than it seems.

But yeah, there's a good shot that it doesn't show up right on the other end.