Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
CM Punk vs. Brock Lesnar at Summerslam 2013 is the best WWE CM Punk match. Watch that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Everblight posted:

Just watch this match 3 times hth
Is it from February 2013?

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

St Evan Echoes posted:

Is it from February 2013?

Yes, that's the one.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

anakha posted:

My default example of a good heel - heel match is Shawn Michaels - Rick Martel at Summerslam 92. Just so much fun.

This is a good answer, and brings up another question: Which is more, the amount of times Shawn exposed his rear end in ring, or the amount of times Vince has said "Whatta maneuver!"

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

You have to think that the number of Whatamaneuvers on the old Superstars squashes alone has to be incredible.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Joeslop posted:

This is a good answer, and brings up another question: Which is more, the amount of times Shawn exposed his rear end in ring, or the amount of times Vince has said "Whatta maneuver!"

Trick question. The only time Vince said "Whatta manuever" was when Shawn exposed his rear end.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Yaya posted:

Yes, that's the one.
Thanks man. Watching it now.

Notes: Cena's STF is the least convincing submission hold I've ever seen.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Amy Renee posted:

So what are the WWE "eras", exactly?

2009-Present: PG Era
2002-2009: Post-Attitude/Dark/poo poo Era?
1997-2002: Attitude Era
1992-1997: New Generation Era
1985-1992: Golden Era
1979-1985: Expansion Era?
1963-1979: WWWF/Post-NWA Era?
1952-1963: CWC Era?

Just curious.

1984 - 1997: This is awesome because I'm a kid era
1997 - 2002: This is awesome because I am an immature young adult and there are boobies era
2002 - 2003: Stone Cold, no what are you doing era
2003 - 2014: Stupid loving bullshit era

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

So a friend of mine wants to get into wrestling and is looking for a playlist of really good modern matches that also work as a good introduction to the sport/art/whatever.

I've already got WWE covered, but my knowledge of stuff outside WWE is woefully inadequate. Could I get some help with stuff from NJPW and ROH, and other Feds that fit the criteria above and happened in the past 3-4 years? Also, if I had to show him just one Tanahashi/Okada match which one should it be?

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

Dimebags Brain posted:

So a friend of mine wants to get into wrestling and is looking for a playlist of really good modern matches that also work as a good introduction to the sport/art/whatever.

I've already got WWE covered, but my knowledge of stuff outside WWE is woefully inadequate. Could I get some help with stuff from NJPW and ROH, and other Feds that fit the criteria above and happened in the past 3-4 years? Also, if I had to show him just one Tanahashi/Okada match which one should it be?

Show her Okada/Styles and War of the Worlds as a start.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

Dimebags Brain posted:

Invasion Attack 4/7/13 for the best Tanahashi/Okada match (although all are really good!). Ishii/Shibata, Ishii/Tanahashi, Ibushi/Nakamura all from the 2013 NJPW G1 Climax. Okada/Goto and Naito/Ishii from the same show (2/19? I'm too lazy to look it up). Shibata/Goto from the June 22, 2013 show. Devitt/Ibushi/Low-Ki from Wrestle Kingdom 7. All great matches.

If you want more NJPW matches let me know. Someone else can help with ROH.

E: OH! Tanahashi/Suzuki from October(?) 2012. An absolutely perfect match.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

2002-2007 Ruthless Aggression
2007-2011 PG Era
2011- Reality Era

reality era isn't real

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Reality Era actually started in 2014, HHH officially began it.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

2007-2011 PG Era
2011- Reality Era

None of these eras exist.

If anything the start of the network should probably be looked at as a New Era in wrestling as it's an actual drastic change.

HulkaMatt fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 25, 2014

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
The truth is there are only two eras. PMCBLBUTSWM30, and MCBLBUTSWM30.

Pre my client BROCK LESNAR breaking the Undertaker's Streak at Wrestlemania 30, and my client BROCK LESNAR broke the Undertaker's Steak at Wrestlemania 30.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

St Evan Echoes posted:

I like the 5 seconds he's onscreen during that. His head is so low. So low.

I'm still stuck in the 90s, so I've never seen a CM Punk match. Someone give me your Top 3.

Here are both of his 5-star matches and Punk's 2 best promos.

CM Punk vs Samoa Joe II. - http://www.veoh.com/watch/v15374190r8p6YPax?h1=Samoa+Joe+vs+CM+Punk+II-ROH

CM Punk vs John Cena @ MITB 11 - http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xkn0g4_wwe-money-in-the-bank-2011-cm-punk-vs-john-cena_sport

Punk "pipe-bomb" promo on RAW- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OS9wZGb_3g

Punk's promo after winning the ROH title at Death Before Dishonor 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTqgwyuv3CU

Here's some more.

Punk mocks Jeff Hardy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC6iLl26vpg

Punk vs. Brock Lesnar Summerslam 2013.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWBg2UNdkdQ

Collection of Punk heeling it up in IWA Mid South.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--X8pAvg3DE

God Of Paradise fucked around with this message at 23:56 on May 25, 2014

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Shima Honnou posted:

The truth is there are only two eras. PMCBLBUTSWM30, and MCBLBUTSWM30.

Pre my client BROCK LESNAR breaking the Undertaker's Streak at Wrestlemania 30, and my client BROCK LESNAR broke the Undertaker's Steak at Wrestlemania 30.

What about the era before the streak began?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Hockles posted:

That was the primordial ooze from which the Streak arose

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Hockles posted:

That was all pre-break, all the way back to the beginning of wrestletime when the first two Greeks decided to drench themselves in olive oil and begin grabbing at one another.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

HulkaMatt posted:

None of these eras exist.

If anything the start of the network should probably be looked at as a New Era in wrestling as it's an actual drastic change.

"Network Era" also sounds a whole lot cooler than "Reality Era," while also inviting a lot of fun Howard Beale references.

Delsaber fucked around with this message at 02:05 on May 26, 2014

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

As great as Joe vs. Punk II is I definitely wouldn't watch it as your first CM Punk match.

HulkaMatt fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 26, 2014

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

HulkaMatt posted:

As great as Joe vs. Punk II is I definitely wouldn't watch it as your first CM Punk match.

Yeah, I just figured, instead of posting my favorites I would just post the 5 star matches. I guess it's arguable how important an Observer 5-star rated match is, but since there have been 6 in the United States since 97, I figured those two were a pretty big deal.

The first Punk match I watched was like a hardcore cage match against Raven. Not a good introduction.

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

The February 2013 Cena vs. Punk match was the one that was for the title match at Wrestlemania? Either way my actual question is how many times has Cena done a hurricanrana (if that's the right name for the move he uses at the end of the match)?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Probably five or six times on TV.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Funktastic posted:

The February 2013 Cena vs. Punk match was the one that was for the title match at Wrestlemania? Either way my actual question is how many times has Cena done a hurricanrana (if that's the right name for the move he uses at the end of the match)?

He pulls it out every few matches or so. He did it in his match with Luke Harper last week on Raw.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012

I don't know any time he's done a hurricanrana, but he tries and botches it all the time. It's worse than when Steiner would try it in TNA.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

God Of Paradise posted:

I don't know any time he's done a hurricanrana, but he tries and botches it all the time. It's worse than when Steiner would try it in TNA.

Welp, Scott Steiner is going to murder you.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Anytime Cena does a high flying-ish move it always looks lovely. He just does them so rarely that people freak out.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Bard Maddox posted:

He pulls it out every few matches or so. He did it in his match with Luke Harper last week on Raw.

Aw hell, is he escalating? Are we going to see a Cena Shooting Star Press at Payback?

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
I'm pretty sure Cena only did it because Harper already did earlier in the match. Harpers was much better too.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

it's kind of amazing how well Harper can do flippy moves considering how big he is.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Shima Honnou posted:

That was all pre-break, all the way back to the beginning of wrestletime when the first two Greeks decided to drench themselves in olive oil and begin grabbing at one another.

Terry Funk won that match and immediately announced his retirement.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
For Erachat I'd say

1984-1992 Rock n' Wrestling/Hogan Era
1992-1997 New Generation
1997-2001 Attitude Era
2001-2005 Decline Era
2005-2014(?) Cena Era
2014- Network Era(?)

I really hate how Ruthless Aggression seems to have taken hold of that era by default. Attitude, New Generation, and Rock n' Wrestling were vital parts of the product, with explicit mentions of all in marketing and promotion. Ruthless Aggression was a catchphrase from a single lovely promo and toy line. It also sounds horrible. There is really no identity at all for 2001-05 other than decline. The casual fan base all but vanishes over this time period, the product is hot garbage for most of the time, the new stars they have are mostly B+ players because the company started their now long tradition of being unable to truly pull the trigger on them, and buyrates and ratings go down down down. Not to say that it doesn't continue doing so in the Cena Era, but at the very least the company had a marketable mainstream draw on top for the first time in a long time. Hard to really say if we're truly in a new "era" at all.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

Dimebags Brain posted:

Stro vs. Diablo Jr. - Mountain State Wrestling 11/14/10

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
When discussing eras it's important to remember that some years are outliers from other eras. WWF in 1996-1997 feels completely different from 1995 or 1998.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

2007-2011 PG Era
2011- Reality Era

I had always heard the end of the Attitude Era was late 2001, placing the WCW/ECW invasion at the tail end of it. Even though WCW and ECW no longer existed, they still did in kayfabe, and Survivor Series was where they were defeated. Competition was what started Attitude and lack of competition is what ended it.

After that I'd be tempted to call 2002 the start of the Brand Split Era, because that was its defining feature and it completely changed the face of the company. Merging the rosters would be the end of that era, though there were a few years before Supershows where they clearly didn't care about separating rosters anymore. That would've been around 2011, which is conveniently where the pipebomb happened and the "Reality" Era is said to begin, even though Triple H didn't refer to it on TV until recently.

I wouldn't say PG is an era necessarily. It took out sex and blood and most of the swearing but they've been blurring those lines for years since JBL IS POOPY happened.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Ruthless Aggression did lead to Benoit having the term Toothless Aggression though...

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Nut Bunnies posted:

I really hate how Ruthless Aggression seems to have taken hold of that era by default.

It's taken hold because that's what WWE actually calls it. In video games, on toys, whatever. For all intents and purposes it might as well mean "Cena time all the time", though.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I don't know if this is really a "wrestling" question, but has anyone tried JR's barbecue sauce?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Anytime Cena does a high flying-ish move it always looks lovely. He just does them so rarely that people freak out.

I like his leg drop on the guy who is bent over for an unnaturally long time. Well, not really. But at least it looks like a leg drop to a guy who is bent over for an unnaturally long time.