Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007

Giggle Goose posted:

Ah OK. I was actually hoping that it wasn't something like that because I am really fond of the massive metropolis that I built on the island. I guess I'll have to reorganize the whole place.

You can still have a massive metropolis, but to support the farms and mines that are outside of it, you should setup some outposts of a tavern, country mission, clinic, and enough country houses for whatevers there.

Car lots will increase the range/speed people move around and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I noticed that Tropicans won't move into empty houses they can afford and throw up shacks right next to them. Kinda annoying. The teleporters metro doesn't seem to increase the distance people are willing to live from their work at all.

Apparently you can build more than one embassy now and have all factions invited. Very useful.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Mister Bates posted:

Time to start a new game and declare State Atheism in the constitution, never build any religious buildings, and crush the Church beneath my iron bootheel. :dawkins101: :getin:
You still gotta work for that fedora atheist haven even with State Atheism. You need to suppress the Religious a lot to stop them from gaining numbers and then loving up your election chance, down to the wire because they're upset you don't have a church.

I'm up to the mission where you have to build tourism when I had a rebel attack (At 81% popularity), the instant the rebel attack was over I had a coup attempt. My two sets of tanks and a guard tower against my infantry and jets.
So of course the tanks targets are on the other side of the island so they slooowly drive over there. And of course the infantry are loving stupid and most of them split off to attack the lone Guard tower in the middle of nowhere (To slow down invasions, they love attacking towers) and only one unit runs to the other side of the island to where the tanks are going. Cue like, nearly two in-game years later and that infantry dies, the tanks take out the Rum Refinery and start to slowly troddle all the way back to the city.
During these two years most of the units attacking the tower have loving run off AGAIN to this new target that the tanks are after :psyduck:
Can I just have basic 'Move/Attack here' RTS controls please? :psyduck: :psyduck:

Thern
Aug 12, 2006

Say Hello To My Little Friend
Anyone not seeing mines showing up in the Almanac? I can't seem to find it.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Am I blind or stupid? I can't seem to find a page of going rates for goods exports. Did they get rid of this? Am I supposed to infer what crops are worth my time from the sporadic listings in the trade mission window?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Zigmidge posted:

Am I blind or stupid? I can't seem to find a page of going rates for goods exports. Did they get rid of this? Am I supposed to infer what crops are worth my time from the sporadic listings in the trade mission window?
Look for the text "production" on the first almanac page and click on it. At least I think it was called that.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

What causes terrain to be good for agriculture?

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
I really like the changes they've made for this, but my biggest complaint so far is how building works. I know it's been a weak point throughout the entire series, but it seems especially bad in this iteration. I never seem to have idle builders, which is nice, but I can't even count the number of times a building will get to 95-97% completed, and just stop for months or years before it gets finished. The workers all move on to something else, and it just doesn't progress anymore. The problem is compounded by the fact that you can't see how many builders are assigned to any project, and that the scaffolding seems to go up at a constant pace regardless of workers, so you have these jumps from 0% to 32% to 58% and nothing in-between, and if you have 2 or 20 workers, it seems to build at the same pace (until you get to the end, when it completes whenever it feels like it wants to).

Is anyone else seeing similar behavior, or am I somehow doing something very wrong which is stopping building from continuing? It seems to only be a problem on the larger buildings that use a crane in the animation, the smaller ones seem to work as expected.

Also, on an unrelated note, is it me, or does the religious buildings "Community Aid" not do anything? I've got residences literally next door touching it, and it doesn't show any increase from the alleged effect.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

For some reason it feels like construction workers slow way down later on as the island grows. Even with no traffic congestion and 3-4 constructors it took forever to build anything, like Tropico 4 slow once I had 800+ people.

Also the radio host is a less annoying Janito but nowhere near as good as Penultimo jr and Sunny. Part of it is because they had a lot more people talking too, like miss Pinaple (attempted murder of a classmate - spanking. Successful murder of a classmate - spanking).
And holy poo poo Lulu's comment when you build a chocolate factory. :stare:

A bit disappointing that the capitalist woman is also representing the industrialists and globalists. Same with the girl in charge of the communists, environmentalists and nationalists. Lost out on all the colorful faction leader characters. Would've been so much better if there had been separate people like in Tropico 4 and that they had simply introduced themselves and their factions when you reached a new age. :(

Poil fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 25, 2014

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Are anyone else's save games not... saving? I'm on the third (?) mission where you have to repel an invasion. I saved ~5 months before the invasion, came back later today, and now that save is back at ~36 months before the invasion. The autosave is in the exact same time/place, which (I think) saves when you exit to the menu. This had happened with an earlier mission but I chalked it up to forgetting when I had actually left off.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Poil posted:

For some reason it feels like construction workers slow way down later on as the island grows. Even with no traffic congestion and 3-4 constructors it took forever to build anything, like Tropico 4 slow once I had 800+ people.

Also the radio host is a less annoying Janito but nowhere near as good as Penultimo jr and Sunny. Part of it is because they had a lot more people talking too, like miss Pinaple (attempted murder of a classmate - spanking. Successful murder of a classmate - spanking).
And holy poo poo Lulu's comment when you build a chocolate factory. :stare:

A bit disappointing that the capitalist woman is also representing the industrialists and globalists. Same with the girl in charge of the communists, environmentalists and nationalists. Lost out on all the colorful faction leader characters. Would've been so much better if there had been separate people like in Tropico 4 and that they had simply introduced themselves and their factions when you reached a new age. :(

Still. Veronica Veneno can give Betty Boom a run for her money. We needed a corporate tool to offset Betty's I hate everything.

Lulu is a dumber version of Miss Pineapple with none of her charm.

And funny enough Comrade Vasquez shares the same surname as Evira. Wonder if it is father and daugyter or Husband and wife?

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Never build a National Park unless you want that land to be untouchable for eternity, it seems that even after demolishing the site you still can't build there. Presumably a bug, not sure if anyone else has it or if I've simply triggered it uniquely.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

gyrobot posted:

Still. Veronica Veneno can give Betty Boom a run for her money. We needed a corporate tool to offset Betty's I hate everything.

Lulu is a dumber version of Miss Pineapple with none of her charm.

And funny enough Comrade Vasquez shares the same surname as Evira. Wonder if it is father and daugyter or Husband and wife?

Lulu can really be described as a far less intolerable, almost funny Betty Boom that actually likes El Presidente (and anything supporting her bar). Seriously, I liked Juanito but Betty just made me grind my teeth because she really was not funny or entertaining at all. It was nothing more than "bitch bitch bitch. I don't care what you're doing this week, I don't like it."

With Sunny and Penultimo playing off of each other, and the entire voice cast of 4 making cameos in the radio messages, it really brought 4 alive. 5 is still a very, very good game and still has way more personality than almost every other city builder out there. It just kinda stings to see them falling back to a less vibrant cast of characters even with 4's writing still backing them.

The fact that they double up advisers is frustrating too. I can see the King's Caribbean magistrate being your diplomatic envoy and adviser, that kinda works, but then he also becomes your religious adviser? The rebel girl also being the Communist adviser/party leader makes senses as well, but then she's also the environmental adviser who wants me to destroy all my factories. The new Penultimo does a lot, but then he's also your right hand man so it makes sense (even though Miss Pineapple would be soooo much better for your research talking head).

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Mango puppy: mambo heavy. Cats, they have confetti!

I dig the new tunes but some lyrics to misinterpret while I wait for naval gridlock to end would have been nice.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
Is multiplayer any good?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Zigmidge posted:

Mango puppy: mambo heavy. Cats, they have confetti!

I dig the new tunes but some lyrics to misinterpret while I wait for naval gridlock to end would have been nice.

This nice person
https://www.youtube.com/user/kahdeksan/playlists
Has the Soundtrack for Tropico 1, 3 and 4, in separate playlists, might be worth setting the ingame music to 0, and having it play in the background?

Or just have this on repeat, works too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xn3L1OQlWs
( Tropico 3 + 4's ost in a single video. )

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Zombie #246 posted:

Is multiplayer any good?

reportedly, you have no ability to save. So I hope you plan to run marathon sessions with your buddies.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I usually don't do this because I know there's no way the developer will read or care about my input, but I really do feel there are just a few more things that this game could really use to be more transparent and enjoyable. This game totally dominated my weekend, so it's good enough on its own, but these would really help replayability and with new players.

1. More control over trade goods.
___ I want the ability to forbid trade and store certain goods. Selling all my uranium when I'm relying on nuke power is just stupid. My clothes factories are constantly low on cloth even though I have like 8 llama farms and 3 textile mills, when I look at the depot all the cloth is just being sold. This just seems like an oversight. Maybe a large colonial era building called the stockpile could be created that excess goods are stored in. This could also be a target for rebels and coups and raise crime and unrest if it's bursting with high value goods. It'd be a neat mechanic to decide whether you want centralized stockpiles that can be targets of crime or an isolated stockpile that has to be defended from rebels and may slow down production. With how much Kalypso loves DLC I could see this being a candidate.

2. More Tropican populace overlays.
It would really be helpful to have more insight on Tropicans. As is it's extremely difficult assessing the populace. I often had low popularity and high unrest without being able to easily see why.
___ I'd really like an overlay for occupancy of jobs and housing, as is it's super annoying seeing which jobs and houses are hurting by clicking or hovering on each one.
___ Hunger/medical/unrest need overlays.
___ I'd really like an overlay similar to crime for homelessness/unemployment. Being able to click on a job and see if it has homeless workers and how many alone would be super helpful.

3. More models/textures.
___ Particularly with the towers, cities start to get samey quick. If I were them I'd do a fan contest for free DLC. I'm aware of the legal issues with that, though.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I am poo poo at this game. I guess I'm loving up by trying to build grids because the roads are a BITCH to manage if you do it like that. I can't keep anyone happy. Got to revolution and lose my first election without fail. Fuckin gun nuts.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If you're bad at democracy just do what any other leader does, stop it. Build lots of military, keep the military happy, and drop that boot down on the rabble.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The game is crazy easy when you make it so only the wealthy can vote.

gently caress the poors.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Alkydere posted:

Lulu can really be described as a far less intolerable, almost funny Betty Boom that actually likes El Presidente (and anything supporting her bar). Seriously, I liked Juanito but Betty just made me grind my teeth because she really was not funny or entertaining at all. It was nothing more than "bitch bitch bitch. I don't care what you're doing this week, I don't like it."

With Sunny and Penultimo playing off of each other, and the entire voice cast of 4 making cameos in the radio messages, it really brought 4 alive. 5 is still a very, very good game and still has way more personality than almost every other city builder out there. It just kinda stings to see them falling back to a less vibrant cast of characters even with 4's writing still backing them.

The fact that they double up advisers is frustrating too. I can see the King's Caribbean magistrate being your diplomatic envoy and adviser, that kinda works, but then he also becomes your religious adviser? The rebel girl also being the Communist adviser/party leader makes senses as well, but then she's also the environmental adviser who wants me to destroy all my factories. The new Penultimo does a lot, but then he's also your right hand man so it makes sense (even though Miss Pineapple would be soooo much better for your research talking head).

Apparently Mrs/Miss Vasquez takes after Comrade's whole "for the people" angle too far. The good news is she isn't as zealous as her sister in arms Betty Boom. Now I am utterly convinced Moreno and Boom are dating, they are like an unholy duo of rebel harpies.

Well if Kalypso can get the talking heads of Miss Pineapple it would be nice. Although having everything laced with innuendo may be as stale as Penultimo's stupidity but this may become a DLC.

But Veronica and Elvira really should have made some announcements talking about how you angered the foreign powers in their typical behavior.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I think that instead of the weird eras system, it would have been better for the game to stay focused on the 50s-80s Cold War and flesh that out more. As it is now, you have features being arbitrarily locked out at the beginning and aesthetics that are all over the place (like pilgrim styled colonists with steam-powered ships, or musket armed infantry in the twentieth century).

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Eifert Posting posted:

I usually don't do this because I know there's no way the developer will read or care about my input, but I really do feel there are just a few more things that this game could really use to be more transparent and enjoyable. This game totally dominated my weekend, so it's good enough on its own, but these would really help replayability and with new players.

1. More control over trade goods.
___ I want the ability to forbid trade and store certain goods. Selling all my uranium when I'm relying on nuke power is just stupid. My clothes factories are constantly low on cloth even though I have like 8 llama farms and 3 textile mills, when I look at the depot all the cloth is just being sold. This just seems like an oversight. Maybe a large colonial era building called the stockpile could be created that excess goods are stored in. This could also be a target for rebels and coups and raise crime and unrest if it's bursting with high value goods. It'd be a neat mechanic to decide whether you want centralized stockpiles that can be targets of crime or an isolated stockpile that has to be defended from rebels and may slow down production. With how much Kalypso loves DLC I could see this being a candidate.

2. More Tropican populace overlays.
It would really be helpful to have more insight on Tropicans. As is it's extremely difficult assessing the populace. I often had low popularity and high unrest without being able to easily see why.
___ I'd really like an overlay for occupancy of jobs and housing, as is it's super annoying seeing which jobs and houses are hurting by clicking or hovering on each one.
___ Hunger/medical/unrest need overlays.
___ I'd really like an overlay similar to crime for homelessness/unemployment. Being able to click on a job and see if it has homeless workers and how many alone would be super helpful.

These things would be really nice, especially #1. I was looking all around for a way to stop exporting my coal because my power plants were running dry but I couldn't find any.

I'm having a blast though. Good game so far. I like the eras thing, and I also like that while all the modern apartments are the same looking there's at least some incentive to not just immediately upgrade everything to modern apartments ASAP like in Tropico 4.

Although it's 2020, my happiness is at around 80-85, I get at least 75% or more of the vote in every election, I have free elections and never cheat, and yet rebels are constantly attacking! Idgi why are they so mad at me :(

I've started banishing their leaders but that seems to make it worse.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 07:34 on May 26, 2014

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Gobblecoque posted:

I think that instead of the weird eras system, it would have been better for the game to stay focused on the 50s-80s Cold War and flesh that out more. As it is now, you have features being arbitrarily locked out at the beginning and aesthetics that are all over the place (like pilgrim styled colonists with steam-powered ships, or musket armed infantry in the twentieth century).

I forgot to upgrade my palace guard and had musket-armed "Elite Infantry" fighting in the 1980s. That was a funny mistake.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
In a demonstration of El Presidente's glorious power, he has caused a downtown tavern to levitate. :science:

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

These things would be really nice, especially #1. I was looking all around for a way to stop exporting my coal because my power plants were running dry but I couldn't find any.

I'm having a blast though. Good game so far. I like the eras thing, and I also like that while all the modern apartments are the same looking there's at least some incentive to not just immediately upgrade everything to modern apartments ASAP like in Tropico 4.

Although it's 2020, my happiness is at around 80-85, I get at least 75% or more of the vote in every election, I have free elections and never cheat, and yet rebels are constantly attacking! Idgi why are they so mad at me :(

I've started banishing their leaders but that seems to make it worse.

You got a little unrest meter. Get too personal action heavy and you will face an uprising. A democracy lets you banish and kill as much as you want.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Man, there is a giant leap going from colonial to world wars. Adding houses for the well off people and now I'm wondering on food supplies (or does grocery stores magically make food?). Kind of interesting as you switch out of the colonial homes with their free food gardens. How do you guys deal with industry at that point too? I'm assuming more specialized versus a broad array of goods? My logging camps are starting to fall out as expected because I'm not bothering with the reforestation perk and plan to close the mill.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

JuffoWup posted:

Man, there is a giant leap going from colonial to world wars. Adding houses for the well off people and now I'm wondering on food supplies (or does grocery stores magically make food?). Kind of interesting as you switch out of the colonial homes with their free food gardens. How do you guys deal with industry at that point too? I'm assuming more specialized versus a broad array of goods? My logging camps are starting to fall out as expected because I'm not bothering with the reforestation perk and plan to close the mill.

Colonial industry is just the lumber mill which doesn't make much money, so logging camps aren't all that important after the era change. They're really cheap anyway, so I've been demolishing them as needed when I build out my town. But since the better factories need literate workers, there's an education bottleneck -- I guess it's best to set up a high school first thing when you reach the new era, and probably a second one as soon as it's practical, so you can get the high-profit industries going. I don't think there's a lot of reasons to specialize in one factory type.

Food supplies aren't really an issue as long as you plunk down a few plantations and wharves as you expand across the island. Groceries don't produce food, but they're really useful, not least because they can distribute imported food as well, if you need it.

Enzenx
Dec 27, 2011

vandalism posted:

I am poo poo at this game. I guess I'm loving up by trying to build grids because the roads are a BITCH to manage if you do it like that. I can't keep anyone happy. Got to revolution and lose my first election without fail. Fuckin gun nuts.

Grids aren't really the worst thing. You just need to make sure you leave lots of empty space when you start for all the buildings and services you'll need to fit in as you progress through the different eras.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

They have fixed bulldozing buildings so it's really quick now and clearing out some cheap housing to plop down a supermarket or nightclub is very evil dictator-like.

Vittek
Nov 8, 2006
Ok I'm a first time Tropico player so everything is new to me. I seem to grasp everything but the trade routes. I see I can import/export stuff, but why do I get offers to export stuff I don't even have? What happens when I send a ship on that route, will it just ship empty?

And do the ships automatically ship off all the goods you produce on the island without you being able to stop/control it?

Sorry if those are some newbie questions.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Vittek posted:

Ok I'm a first time Tropico player so everything is new to me. I seem to grasp everything but the trade routes. I see I can import/export stuff, but why do I get offers to export stuff I don't even have? What happens when I send a ship on that route, will it just ship empty?

And do the ships automatically ship off all the goods you produce on the island without you being able to stop/control it?

Sorry if those are some newbie questions.

Ships do indeed ship everything off the island, Tropico doesn't have a storage building, all goods must be in output or input queues so if you produce any extra, not consumed by other buildings it'll be brought to docks and sold with next ship.
The trades are just special offers that'll take goods with typically better prices and effect on reputation. You can add a trade for stuff you don't have for example when you intend to build it and don't want the offer to disappear, they change regularly but if you accepted it stays for 10 years.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm not sure but I think you lose reputation with the related country if you fail to deliver the requested quantity before the time limit. A deal to export corn to the allies ended with the time limit and when I checked relations I had a negative for exporting to the allies. But it could just be a bug since I was exporting iron to the axis at the time.

Also a tip, never let a mine get exhausted before the cold wars era. The improved mines can buy a cheap upgrade to add 15'000 resources and it only works if the deposit isn't drained. There is an edict to increase resources too but I'm not sure how much it actually does.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Gobblecoque posted:

I think that instead of the weird eras system, it would have been better for the game to stay focused on the 50s-80s Cold War and flesh that out more.
Eugh. We had that in spades between the three good Tropico games. I'm honestly glad they didn't just make 4.5, although I agree with you that they could do more with the game aesthetically.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
A note on trade is that if you check often, you can find some stupid good deals, like corn at $150 (Helllooo factory farms!) or steel at ~3500... Which you can then flip to the ruskies at ~6000.

How feasible is it to have a completely trade based economy, without producing much or anything for export? I've tried it once or twice but it seems my treasury just craters when the imports come in and never recover.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

FrozenVent posted:

A note on trade is that if you check often, you can find some stupid good deals, like corn at $150 (Helllooo factory farms!) or steel at ~3500... Which you can then flip to the ruskies at ~6000.

How feasible is it to have a completely trade based economy, without producing much or anything for export? I've tried it once or twice but it seems my treasury just craters when the imports come in and never recover.

I think you can easily get away with importing all your raw resources and exporting the manufactured goods. If you meant actually just importing goods at low prices, not touching them, then selling them again at high prices... I think you would need to make a heck of a lot of docks to support all of Tropico that way.

I already do it a little bit, but only as a supplement. If I'm getting a good deal on imported goods I need, then I will add any idle ships to buy extra so I can sell the remainder.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Poil posted:

I'm not sure but I think you lose reputation with the related country if you fail to deliver the requested quantity before the time limit. A deal to export corn to the allies ended with the time limit and when I checked relations I had a negative for exporting to the allies. But it could just be a bug since I was exporting iron to the axis at the time.

It's neither a bug nor a real "negative", jsut the game system being a bit stupid.

What happens when you start or stop trading on a line is that it slowl ticks up/down your reputation with the affected parties until the full effect is reached; if you stop a trade that gets you positive rep, it ticks down (and hence shows up as negative) until the full bonus is gone, at which point the modifier notice just vanishes completely.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
I rather hilariously ruined my island by doing a mass upgrade of farms and found that all the new farms required high schoolers (currently tied up in my industry/army) which caused a massive unemployment surge mixed with food stores dropping like crazy and people being turfed out of their homes for suddenly being poor.

Its weird how many upgrades change the base requirements. Like upgrading homes to a new era and it causes the level of wealth needed to live in their increases so you have to drop the building budget back down or have a surge of homeless. Feels poorly thought out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

jBrereton posted:

Eugh. We had that in spades between the three good Tropico games. I'm honestly glad they didn't just make 4.5, although I agree with you that they could do more with the game aesthetically.

I never wanted 4.5 either. There's a huge amount of potential in terms of adding gameplay depth and fleshing out the setting within the Cold War period. I would be all for the series exploring other time frames, but unfortunately, in both 4 and 5 there's just no meat to the time periods outside of the Cold War. The royal mandate system and seeking independence in the colonial era are interesting ideas, but the period lacks any real depth and ends up just serving as a tutorial. Meanwhile, the World Wars era doesn't seem to have anything to distinguish it aside from the names "the Allies" and "the Axis" replacing "USA" and "USSR". If you're not going to really do anything with these other settings, then don't do them.

• Locked thread