Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm running a i5 3570k @ 3.4. Should I bother overclocking for the game or just stick with stock speeds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Mr E posted:

I'm running a i5 3570k @ 3.4. Should I bother overclocking for the game or just stick with stock speeds?

card matters more. cpu speed makes little difference.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Seems there's not going to be a Steam preload and VPN won't work...

drat, should have bought retail.

As I understand it the retail keys are uplay only, they can't be activated on steam anyway. This is true for any key bought anywhere except directly on steam, so gmg and d2d etc are all uplay keys not steam.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Could someone post the full game map? I'm a nerd for open world game maps.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
So what's the general consensus? Worth buying?

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

cat doter posted:

It's good but flawed (comparisons to AC1 and as watch dogs being the establishing entrance into a franchise are pretty apt). It's squarely in open world gameplay territory but with some cool environment interaction mechanics, which is basically what the 'hacking' boils down to (you push a button, a thing happens). I would say the story feels kinda unfocused and like a lot of details are being left out, characters can be flat and motivations can be a bit confusing, eg Aiden gets pissed at his family being threatened but does it to other people all the time. Dude's kind of a scumbag.

Honestly even with the hacking crap put into the story, this is pretty Grand Theft Auto-ish, it's gangster stuff all the way down.

Sounds like a wait 4 months for it to go on sale for $30 unless you really need another open world game NOW kind of deal.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Thumbtacks posted:

THERE IS NO GENERAL CONSENSUS!

But I like it.

Seriously, though, it's divisive. Some people like me are enjoying the hell out of it, others are railing against it, still others think it's okay but wouldn't want to commit until there's a price drop.

Personally, I was suffering from a severe "itch" that only this game could scratch.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

How are the graphics on the PC version?

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Whelp I got this for free with my new video card. Sadly I have to download it from the UPlay shop. Any idea what time we can start downloading it in Australia?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Raged posted:

Whelp I got this for free with my new video card. Sadly I have to download it from the UPlay shop. Any idea what time we can start downloading it in Australia?

If it's a worldwide release with everyone getting it at the same time, anywhere from noon to 2 PM depending on your region.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Raged posted:

Knowing :australia: I'm betting around bloody 9am on the 28th or something dumb like that.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Raged posted:

According to what I have been reading it's releasing worldwide at the same time, which would be 2pm AEST.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Thumbtacks posted:

The general consensus is if you want to spend 60 dollars on a game do it. If you don't want to spend 60 dollars on a game. Don't.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Thumbtacks posted:

If you're paying sixty bucks, then it's a maybe. If you can pick it up at a discount(and since it's a video card freebie there'll be a fair few for sale when they actually bother to send them out) then definitely.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Thumbtacks posted:

There might not be a consensus but the average and typical opinion from what I've seen and read seems to be it's not bad. I.e., there is nothing buggy and broke, it has the typical AC-level of polish you'd expect, it works and supposedly decent number of sidequests/messing around in open-world. But it's not amazing either, it doesn't have that exciting of a stylish world nor much to the plot/character development and people don't seem to rave about it like they did AC2/AC4.

So like a modern-world GTA-AC1 with guns and cars. So is it worth $60 for an decent-but-not-amazing modern AC1? That's up to you.

(also play Sleeping Dogs if you haven't)

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I wonder if Steam is going to do a preload tomorrow?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Xaris posted:

(also play Sleeping Dogs if you haven't)
Yeah, people who haven't played Sleeping Dogs should definitely correct that. To me it was the best game in the genre ever made and honestly at least judging from the gameplay videos - it actually had a more futuristic looking world than Watch Dogs :v:.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

AllLuckySevens posted:

but the city feels bland and empty.

Are we playing the same game here? How is the city bland and empty? Are you running it on low settings or something (does the detail settings effect pedestrian/car volume?)

Orv
May 4, 2011

Palpek posted:

Yeah, people who haven't played Sleeping Dogs should definitely correct that. To me it was the best game in the genre ever made and honestly at least judging from the gameplay videos - it actually had a more futuristic looking world than Watch Dogs :v:.

Neon doesn't mean future Palpek. :colbert:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Orv posted:

Neon doesn't mean future Palpek. :colbert:
Actually it totally does :colbert:

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"

Bobtista posted:

As I understand it the retail keys are uplay only, they can't be activated on steam anyway. This is true for any key bought anywhere except directly on steam, so gmg and d2d etc are all uplay keys not steam.

I'm pretty sure if you buy it from origin you don't get a uplay key either.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Creating explosions can be used for stealth! One ctOS server I managed to clear by jacking the sight of a camera in a guard's front pocket and blowing up something near the server access. Hee hee. He walked over there to check it out, and BAM!

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

So can the so can the convoys/gang hideouts/contracts be repeated? The Progression menu mentions completing all of them but that seems really stupid if there's a limit on them.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
Are these people for loving real, or what?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGRsrFdwb2c

It's looking more and more like this game is going to be the hard "Expectation Management" lesson of this gaming generation, the way neckbeards are flipping their poo poo left and right. I say that as someone who thinks everything I've seen of it looks great and everything seems to be what I was expecting of the game since it was announced.

Which makes me wonder why some people were expecting it to set the world on fire or something. Whatever.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Mr Scumbag posted:

Which makes me wonder why some people were expecting it to set the world on fire or something. Whatever.

This happens with nearly everything due to careful control of media information and hyping poo poo up with mega million dollar marketing campaigns.

Also the E3 trailer looked incredibly cool but it's now obvious that was pretty much specially created and crafted just for that. As that was most people's exposure, it's easy to get hyped up on what cool potential you saw in a tech demo and then imagining how cool the rest is from what you don't see.

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012

Sedisp posted:

So can the so can the convoys/gang hideouts/contracts be repeated? The Progression menu mentions completing all of them but that seems really stupid if there's a limit on them.

This is a good question. If I want to be hacker Batman, I don't want to run out of things to do. Any info?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Sef! posted:

This is a good question. If I want to be hacker Batman, I don't want to run out of things to do. Any info?

Doesn't look like you can replay them so far...

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Mr Scumbag posted:

Marketing. It was far and away the most interesting, refreshing looking game of the E3 where they unveiled it. It was a really great demo that showed a lot of promise and "next gen-ness", and we don't get a lot of big new franchises like this anymore. Expectations being high is totally understandable based on that, but the game still doesn't look as good/interesting as it did in that demo and several key features are no longer present.

Impressions come out, the game is a predictably formulaic Ubisoft open world joint. Not that that's bad, but reality comes crashing down, and it is one of the reasons why some people are bummed. It's becoming more and more of a common theme in AAA game development - see also the furor over the Dark Souls 2 lighting engine.

The exact same thing is going to happen with The Division, of course.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 08:40 on May 26, 2014

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Xaris posted:

Also the E3 trailer looked incredibly cool but it's now obvious that was pretty much specially created and crafted just for that. As that was most people's exposure, it's easy to get hyped up on what cool potential you saw in a tech demo and then imagining how cool the rest is from what you don't see.

What's really weird is that Ubisoft's newest game engine (snowdrop, made for Ubi's other project; The Division) actually does absolutely everything that the Watchdog premiere revealed. It could be possible Watch Dog actually started off on a different build entirely.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

I haven't followed this game too closely. What key features were dropped?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Mr Scumbag posted:

I say that as someone who thinks everything I've seen of it looks great and everything seems to be what I was expecting of the game since it was announced.
I don't really understand why you're getting so angry when you haven't played the game yet? I know people who have very reasonable opinions on games and don't usually buy into hype who found the game simply boring. At the same time there are people who have fun with it. I'll have to see which is true for myself when I get the game eventually but your defensive reaction seems really fanboish. Also who cares what people think about a game if you already know you're getting it and will most likely end up enjoying it?

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Invasions are so fun, I'm getting super paranoid playing this game looking for hackers invading my game.

Things I've learned so far:

1. NPC's never drive motorcycles, if you see one on the road it's a player.
2. There is a button for watching behind you while in a car, other players are often driving recklessly when they think you can't see them.
3. When getting hacked the circle that the hacker have to stay in shrinks over time, check in the middle first if he is on the edge he will have to move anyway.
4. When hacking other players, don't start hacking in the loving woods. You are easy to spot if you are the only person there. Go to a crowded area, hide in a parked car.
5. Cameras around you is the best way to spot invaders since they often behave like regular players when they think you can't see them.
6. If you think you are invaded go to a mission marker, it will not let you start the mission if there is a player close.

EDIT: You have to do a few story missions to unlock the invasion gamemodes, do 5 tailing ASAP for the silenced Vector .45 ACP SMG

Sandweed fucked around with this message at 09:01 on May 26, 2014

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I don't like Aiden as a character. He's pretty much the worst twist of the batman archetype of revenge fantasy you can get as his entire motivation was his own stupid fault for stealing from rear end in a top hat billionaires and criminals and getting caught. He never stops being a petty digital thief, with or without the player's input so he never seems to get why this poo poo happened. There's nothing likeable or redeeming about him at all and it just feels like a retread into the depths of Prototype style general misanthropy. I wish T-bone would just be the central character and blow Aiden, Carla and Jordi back to hell where they belong.

At least the hacking is mostly fluid so I can just lose myself in the data gathering and flush out the more pretentious parts of the story out. NSA simulator here I come. :v:

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Sandweed posted:

3. When getting hacked the circle that the hacker have to stay in shrinks over time, check in the middle first if he is on the edge he will have to move anyway.

The hacker never has to move actually. The radius only get's smaller for the person getting hacked as the radius is the actual location of the hacker. The hacker has his own radius he has to stand in that doesn't move.

Back Hack posted:

What's really weird is that Ubisoft's newest game engine (snowdrop, made for Ubi's other project; The Division) actually does absolutely everything that the Watchdog premiere revealed. It could be possible Watch Dog actually started off on a different build entirely.

That game is like 2 years away at this point and probably won't look like it's reveal either.

VarXX fucked around with this message at 09:03 on May 26, 2014

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Hakkesshu posted:

Expectations being high is totally understandable

the game is a predictably formulaic Ubisoft open world joint.

These things kind of conflict, and as much as I hate to "blame the consumer" here, losing your mind (as many nerds have over the past month ago) over a videogame that doesn't end up identical to a 5 minute preview at a promotional event two years previously is pretty stupid. I can understand if you're new to gaming and this is the first dose of reality you've had to deal with, but any experienced gamer should temper their expectations at least a little so that we don't get ridiculous videos like the one I linked. But whatever, one of the most prominent staples of nerd culture is taking every little thing to ridiculous lengths and complaining vocally. To each his own.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

VarXX posted:

The hacker never has to move actually. The radius only get's smaller for the person getting hacked as the radius is the actual location of the hacker. The hacker has his own radius he has to stand in that doesn't move.

He doesn't have to move, but I've been invaded by a guy that started the hack and then ran to the edge of the circle to hide, when the circle shrank he had to move to get inside it again so I spotted him and lit him up.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Sandweed posted:

He doesn't have to move, but I've been invaded by a guy that started the hack and then ran to the edge of the circle to hide, when the circle shrank he had to move to get inside it again so I spotted him and lit him up.

That must have changed since the beta then. The circle would never shrink for the guy hacking.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Another ting, don't commit suicide to stop a player hacking you, it will not work.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Sandweed posted:

Another ting, don't commit suicide to stop a player hacking you, it will not work.

Yeah, I jumped off a cliff accidentally and found out that the trace just continued.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

DeusModus posted:

but it's weirdly jarring playing a game that takes place in the near-future but still incorporates All Your Base. :shrug:

All Your Base was popularized by this website in 1998. It's now 2014. It still shows up here and there and if people aren't tired of it yet, I think it might survive another 20 years if only to go down as one of the oldest memes of the Internet.

Rick Astley also probably isn't going away and doge has immortalized itself by becoming a currency (that poo poo doesn't just away by wishing it away, it's now going into the history books) plenty of other memes die just because there isn't anything sustaining them; the stupid "The Game, you just lost it" meme is just over and dead as far as I've seen, as is NEDM (Not Even Doom Music).

These memes are going away, but there's going to be a handful that won't go away, but it's probably because they aren't the worst memes. I won't even name the ones I find appalling as gently caress, in fear that I jinx it.

Azurrat posted:

It'll pick up a few GOTY awards, but I imagine it'll end up being remembered the same way AC1 was. I'm about 15 hours in and I'm not bored yet.
I actually really liked AC1, so I might still like it then. Albeit, I'm feeling like I might hate the main plot looking at the characters.

keyframe posted:

No but this is a Ubisoft game so we have to poo poo on it every chance possible.
:sigh:

• Locked thread