Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

Speedball posted:

Doesn't look like you can replay them so far...

Hopefully it can be fixed with a mod. :(

Also: poo poo blows up really loving well in this.

'scuse me while I rev this fine beauty one more time :c00l:

Playing with traffic lights is hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Sef! posted:

This is a good question. If I want to be hacker Batman, I don't want to run out of things to do. Any info?

They cannot be repeated once they're completed as far as I know.

That said, a lot of the city games and assorted other distractions go on a lot further than is technically required for progression and/or percentage completion, and at least one shooting-based side "mission" (the "NVZN" augmented-reality shooter) is an arcade game and as such is infinite.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved
Something to note for the people worried about all of the run and gun crap on the streams: I havn't finished all the missions yet, but stealth is totally viable in most cases. You just have to not be afraid to blow something up with hacking as a distraction. Also, it's entirely possible to clear every one of the Control centers without ever coming closer than standing across the street from them.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The soundtrack for this is pretty bad, I think there's only 3 or songs I actually liked that I've heard so far.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Stroth posted:

Something to note for the people worried about all of the run and gun crap on the streams: I havn't finished all the missions yet, but stealth is totally viable in most cases. You just have to not be afraid to blow something up with hacking as a distraction. Also, it's entirely possible to clear every one of the Control centers without ever coming closer than standing across the street from them.

You should always detonate a dude's grenade. I love that the enemies' descriptions play into that in some ways. For example, I had a guy who liked to sniff model glue, and when I detonated his grenade, sure enough he found out what it does.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Joe Gillian posted:

For example, I had a guy who liked to sniff model glue, and when I detonated his grenade, sure enough he found out what it does.
I don't really understand what you're saying here.

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus
Sorry for the completely clueless post, but is this a cyberpunk adventure game with open-world elements, or an open-world game with with cyberpunk elements? I haven't been following this game closely at all, but for reason I remember seeing a trailer that made it looked like some kind of noir detective/hacker adventure game. All the recent gameplay looks like just like every other open-world driving/shooting game, which I don't dislike, was just hoping for something different. How does the majority of the gameplay work? I mainly just play through games for the main story and leave side content untouched unless it's very good.

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

That's a side effect of the marijuana poisoning.
I'm wondering if its time to upgrade from a 560Ti and get this game bundled with a new card?

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It's a great game, but drat is it unoptimized!

First game since building my rig that I can just max everything at 1920x1200. That 3gig VRAM for Ultra textures is bullshit.

Orv
May 4, 2011

NicelyNice posted:

Sorry for the completely clueless post, but is this a cyberpunk adventure game with open-world elements, or an open-world game with with cyberpunk elements? I haven't been following this game closely at all, but for reason I remember seeing a trailer that made it looked like some kind of noir detective/hacker adventure game. All the recent gameplay looks like just like every other open-world driving/shooting game, which I don't dislike, was just hoping for something different. How does the majority of the gameplay work? I mainly just play through games for the main story and leave side content untouched unless it's very good.

GTA with hacking elements. You go around doing missions, side missions, shooting cops and causing havoc, and then also you can shut off the power grid, or turn all the lights green, etc.

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus

Orv posted:

GTA with hacking elements. You go around doing missions, side missions, shooting cops and causing havoc, and then also you can shut off the power grid, or turn all the lights green, etc.

Thanks for the reply - for some reason thought this was something more like LA Noire/Deus Ex. I'll wait until this comes down in price for sure

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Solly posted:

I'm wondering if its time to upgrade from a 560Ti and get this game bundled with a new card?

I upgraded from the exact same card to a GTX 770 with no regrets.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

How does this even work.

http://gfycat.com/MistySelfassuredCrossbill

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mr Scumbag posted:

Are these people for loving real, or what?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGRsrFdwb2c

It's looking more and more like this game is going to be the hard "Expectation Management" lesson of this gaming generation, the way neckbeards are flipping their poo poo left and right. I say that as someone who thinks everything I've seen of it looks great and everything seems to be what I was expecting of the game since it was announced.

Which makes me wonder why some people were expecting it to set the world on fire or something. Whatever.

Haha. Some of that stuff is pretty bad, especially the shadows. Really lazy work. Still, I don't think it'll take away any of my enjoyment of the game. I've always been one to just laugh at minor things like these.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Game of the year.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Mr Scumbag posted:

It's looking more and more like this game is going to be the hard "Expectation Management" lesson of this gaming generation, the way neckbeards are flipping their poo poo left and right. I say that as someone who thinks everything I've seen of it looks great and everything seems to be what I was expecting of the game since it was announced.

Which makes me wonder why some people were expecting it to set the world on fire or something. Whatever.

To be fair, the E3 trailer did imply there'd be considerable attention to detail. I'm quite disappointed, and it's made me pessimistic that we'll even see half the poo poo in The Division trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU7WGAJPRRw

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I dunno, I still feel like they just focused on the details for the game they wanted to make. Grand Theft Auto is very focused on cards, it's in the bloody name even. Watch_dogs is a game about hacking which happens to have cars in it.

I can see why people would want to compare, but it really is apples and oranges to how game development works. It's not going to be GTA with some hacking.

The water physics, reflections and shadow stuff is fair enough to point out that you'd expect better from. Lighting especially, with it trying to build up that noir feel and there's just no shadows being cast by certain types of light. Well, if street lights work fine, it might be good enough.

Again, cars are kind of an afterthought for this game. That's kinda the point.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Mr Scumbag posted:

So what exactly did they spend 5 years in development doing?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Bobtista posted:

So what exactly did they spend 5 years in development doing?

Do you work in IT? Because the answer is drink coffee around the watercooler.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mordaedil posted:

I saw a video where the developer said that cars and driving was the very first thing they worked on.

Mordaedil posted:

Do you work in IT? Because the answer is drink coffee around the watercooler.

Yeah, fixing people's email is the same thing as making a game.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Mordaedil posted:

Everybody says the game plays like GTA and cars are a big part of it so I don't really understand what you mean. It doesn't matter what the game is supposed to be but what it actually focuses on when you play it. If you drive cars all the time and you spend a lot of time getting from place to place then they shouldn't be an afterthought.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Palpek posted:

Everybody says the game plays like GTA and cars are a big part of it so I don't really understand what you mean. It doesn't matter what the game is supposed to be but what it actually focuses on when you play it. If you drive cars all the time and you spend a lot of time getting from place to place then they shouldn't be an afterthought.

But don't you get it the game is about doing sweet leet hacks so they must have spent all their time polishing these hacks and making them so super awesome. Ignore the fact that the majority of hacks you will be using are designed to aid you in escaping police in car chases, the game isn't supposed to be about cars, quit getting in cars and run everywhere in this big empty map like a real leet haxxor.

Please note these escape hacks are also dogshit and lacking polish because the only way to escape the police with any certainty is to outrun them.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

blue squares posted:

Yeah, fixing people's email is the same thing as making a game.

:thejoke:

blue squares posted:

I saw a video where the developer said that cars and driving was the very first thing they worked on.

Palpek posted:

Isn't this because people's default operanti modum is Grand Theft Auto, so they set their expectations up for it to be Grand Theft Auto but better because it was made later? It's not like they can just go and take the code from Grand Theft Auto IV, they have to write the code themselves or outsource it. And while driving around from place to place is a major part of the game, I was never under an impression it was under equal importance to all the other elements that the game does feature.

Now, I can't judge the game on those factors without having played it myself, but it is a big disservice to judge the game against another game where the choice of focused elements are different enough that one game can't feature some minor details like damage models on cars, environmental decals and such if you don't also judge the other game on merits it is missing from the elements present in the new game, no?

Or should this game just have been an iteration upon GTAIV, because no setbacks are allowed, even when it is made by a completely different studio?

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Ugh just look at this terrible video game, it looks like a PS2!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ5BD9PDZjA

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Mordaedil posted:

Or should this game just have been an iteration upon GTAIV, because no setbacks are allowed, even when it is made by a completely different studio?
I don't know why you're insisting that people play the game wrong or something. People compare it to GTA because it plays like GTA with hacking and not like a hacking game with driving. Here's an example summary from another thread:

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Yeah, that's essentially what the game's problem is. It's got all the weaknesses of a typical Ubisoft open world game (writing, a zillion half-assed side activities you've seen before giving the illusion of meaningful content) and nothing like Far Cry 3's gunplay or Assassin's Creed's vertical movement. No goofy physics to gently caress with, or much of anything that makes GTA/Sleeping Dogs/Saints Row interesting.

It's very grounded, and not in a good way. The hacking mechanic boils down to simple toggles for a fairly limited number of interactive objects with very prescribed results that don't allow for experimentation. You're held back as the game dangles stuff that isn't even particularly appealing just out of your reach, and are expected to be amazed.
The game might be fun sure but your insistence that it's not comparable with GTA because its focus is different is delusional. Hacking is a gimmick here, not a game defining feature.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I gotta say the shadows/reflections thing is a bit disappointing. In Ubisoft's defense, GTA4/V doesn't have "true" reflections on building facades either, since neither you nor other people or traffic gets reflected. (There are some points where GTAV has true reflection, but that's mainly on mirrors in bathrooms and other cramped spaces where reflecting the world isn't that performance degrading).

Orv
May 4, 2011

ymgve posted:

I gotta say the shadows/reflections thing is a bit disappointing. In Ubisoft's defense, GTA4/V doesn't have "true" reflections on building facades either, since neither you nor other people or traffic gets reflected. (There are some points where GTAV has true reflection, but that's mainly on mirrors in bathrooms and other cramped spaces where reflecting the world isn't that performance degrading).

People who make those kinds of videos are way, way too invested in video games.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Everyone complaining about driving should just get the motorcycles, they are easier to get around with.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Considering all the games I've seen goons complain about the driving in (Saints Row, Mafia, Sleeping Dogs, GTA) I'm expecting it to turn out to be trivially easy in this at this point.

Just like stealth in AC games.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Palpek posted:

I don't know why you're insisting that people play the game wrong or something. People compare it to GTA because it plays like GTA with hacking and not like a hacking game with driving. Here's an example summary from another thread:

The game might be fun sure but your insistence that it's not comparable with GTA because its focus is different is delusional. Hacking is a gimmick here, not a game defining feature.

I don't know, I haven't played it yet, I am just making a hypothesis on what I observe people approach the game and end up disappointed because it lacks polish that other games have.

If the hacking stuff is just a gimmick, then I guess the advertisement around the game is really misleading though.

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
Free DLC gun anyone?

Enter 2L4K-7KK5-HFM9 on http://watchdogs.monsterenergy.com/desktop

Multiplatform code (including PC) to get the MP-412 Rex gun. This code can be used more than once I think.

Dunno is that gun is crap but hey, free stuff!

Edit: No more PC, sorry :(

ShiroTheSniper fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 26, 2014

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning
Is the companion app available on Android yet or is it due to be released the same day as the game?

I tried hunting around the playstore and found nothing but wallpapers and countdown timers.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ShiroTheSniper posted:

Free DLC gun anyone?

Enter 2L4K-7KK5-HFM9 on http://watchdogs.monsterenergy.com/desktop

Multiplatform code (including PC) to get the MP-412 Rex gun. This code can be used more than once I think.

Dunno is that gun is crap but hey, free stuff!

I just used it.

I don't know if it is multi-use or I just happened to be first though.

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy

Aphrodite posted:

I just used it.

I don't know if it is multi-use or I just happened to be first though.

A friend and I used it before without any problem so... ;)

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Mordaedil posted:

I don't know, I haven't played it yet, I am just making a hypothesis on what I observe people approach the game and end up disappointed because it lacks polish that other games have.

If the hacking stuff is just a gimmick, then I guess the advertisement around the game is really misleading though.

Car chases are as common in the game's main storyline as hacking a base/encampment or what have you. The difference, if it makes a difference at least, is that hacking will probably be your main way of escaping or f'ing up your pursuers (plus, you know, driving).

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

ijyt posted:

To be fair, the E3 trailer did imply there'd be considerable attention to detail. I'm quite disappointed, and it's made me pessimistic that we'll even see half the poo poo in The Division trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU7WGAJPRRw

Why are people still being surprised by this? Debut trailers and trailers in general have always been a collection of horseshit and chips. They're very carefully arranged and scripted to look as good as possible while only have the vaguest connection to what actual gameplay is going to be like.

Its literally the video game equivalent of fast food ads.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

Sandweed posted:

Everyone complaining about driving should just get the motorcycles, they are easier to get around with.

The chopper is so drat cool. I just wish the cars on demand app let you choose colors.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

1stGear posted:

Why are people still being surprised by this? Debut trailers and trailers in general have always been a collection of horseshit and chips. They're very carefully arranged and scripted to look as good as possible while only have the vaguest connection to what actual gameplay is going to be like.

1stGear posted:

vaguest connection to what actual gameplay is going to be like.

I wasn't talking about gameplay though.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

1stGear posted:

Its literally the video game equivalent of fast food ads.

Well rewatching that trailer after playing for two days, it's surprisingly not far off the mark. I'd say the AI gunplay is inconsistent from that trailer, or at least I just don't understand them very well. In missions it's fine, but the unscripted AI always seems to rush and destroy me. I am playing on realistic mode, and it's a stiff challenge. I'm kind of still undecided on whether the AI is actually smarter or dumber than I think it is.

But the graphics on ultra do look very good when it is dark and raining like the trailer. In fact, especially good when it's raining. I haven't quite seen a city rendered like this. It's astonishingly real at times. Last night I found myself in the same weather effects and situation as the trailer. Jaw dropping, truly. Sleeping dogs did the night city well too, but this is clear step up. It looks at points better than stills from the super realism ENB for GTAIV.

As for causing the traffic accident, well you can do exactly that. And there isn't much else in the trailer that seems left out besides what looks like tighter gunplay.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Yeah that vid is actually pretty close to what the game is actually like? Some things have changed, it doesn't look quite as a good, a few things in the video are more scripted than they would be in game, but uh, that's not too far off at all.

• Locked thread