Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Has Gillen ever written Dazzler? I'm thinking that a mini with him as the writer would be amazing. It probably wouldn't sell a single issue, but imagine how great it would be to see a sequence in which she introduces Longshot to Pulp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."

Vincent posted:

Has Gillen ever written Dazzler? I'm thinking that a mini with him as the writer would be amazing. It probably wouldn't sell a single issue, but imagine how great it would be to see a sequence in which she introduces Longshot to Pulp.

Merry loving Christmas.

(I really wish it'd happened, but it didn't, and the pitch is still beautiful.)

http://kierongillen.tumblr.com/post/84925044142/dazzler-big-in-attilan

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?
Any good, ongoing Doctor Strange series worth reading?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Mahasamatman posted:

Well that sucks (unless it's a typo.)

quote:

CBR: Also, the "Moon Knight" solicitation promises a "conclusion" in #6. People are wondering what that means -- can you confirm or deny that Warren Ellis, Declan Shavley and Jordie Bellaire's story ends with #6?

Alonso: "Moon Night: Volume One" concludes with issue #6. "Moon Knight: Volume Two" starts the next month. We'll have more to say about that soon, and I'm very excited.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=53022

Hopefully it keeps the same creative team, but who loving knows

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

d00gZ posted:

Merry loving Christmas.

quote:

After a disastrous, conflict-ruptured gig, the situation takes a bizarre and dangerous turn when a Celestial appears outside the city. Doing nothing. At least until, during an official ball, the classical inhuman music act is disintegrated. Others follow. Dazzler realizes that it’s here, somehow, to judge art. Her band – with Black Bolt guesting on backing vocals – don’t have to just play the gig of their lives – they have to play the gig to save everyone’s lives.

Oh my God

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The idea of Dazzler using Black Bolt's backing vocals as power to get on a Celestial level loving owns bones.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

d00gZ posted:

Merry loving Christmas.

Well, that was delightful.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I don't want to live on this Earth, give me the Earth where I can read that.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
It's like his missed arc on Journey into Mystery where Loki would've led a rag-tag team in a game of Mayan Ball Game to prevent the apocalypse. Even if it didn't, strictly speaking, happen, it happened, more than a lot of arcs that are actually real comics.

Mimir fucked around with this message at 05:57 on May 24, 2014

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

d00gZ posted:

Merry loving Christmas.

This is loving awesome. Man.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

srypher posted:

Any good, ongoing Doctor Strange series worth reading?

Dr. Strange has had trouble the last several years actually maintaining an ongoing series. That's why he's always part of a team and he gets a mini every now and then.

Dr. Strange: The Oath is a Vaughn mini with some really good loving art. It is basically Wong and Strange go on adventures.

There was also a Mark Waid/Emma Rios mini a few years back, shortly after Strange was no longer Sorcerer Supreme, called The Doctor Is Out. I haven't read it in a long time, but I remember enjoying it.

Someone else might be able to recommend the early era of Marvel stuff, but I'm not as familiar with it. I think Strange has a few of those Essential Collections which are pretty cheap.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

All the Ditko Dr. Strange stuff was gold.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've heard that Roger Stern wrote Dr Strange for a while; I've not read it, but it's Roger Stern, so I assume it must have been quite good.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I've only read the Ditko stuff but the Englehart (I think?) stuff after it is supposed to be very good.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I've only read the Ditko stuff but the Englehart (I think?) stuff after it is supposed to be very good.

Yeah, one of the first arcs is basically Dr Strange and the Shadow over Innsmouth.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Rhyno posted:

There's contracts saying what can and can't be done that we'll never know the full details of. One thing did come to light, Disney can never release IV-VI in their original theatrical versions on any format.
Is there a source for this? Didn't Lucasfilm (while still fully owned by George Lucas) put these out like five years ago?

Does Gillen really like Star Wars? Like, enough to just sit down and do the rough equivalent of a JJ Abrams Star Trek / Geoff Johns Everything soft reboot of it? Because I can't imagine Disney is looking to revamp the Star Wars Comics line with anything less than a story where All Your Favorites appear in Very Marginally New Ways. And that really doesn't seem up Gillen's alley, unless they made him an offer that will allow him to buy a second home to store all his 45s in.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

One of the Marvel editors said that every single one of their authors has a Doctor Strange story they'd like to do.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The ideal situation for Star Wars comics would be for Marvel to contract John Ostrander to do it, since he's consistently proven to be the best Star Wars comic writer of them all.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Edge & Christian posted:

Is there a source for this? Didn't Lucasfilm (while still fully owned by George Lucas) put these out like five years ago?

Never is a strong word, basically how it breaks down is that Fox still has distribution rights to the OT. They have ESB and ROTJ for a couple more years but they have the rights for distribution for ANH in perpetuity. So they could make a deal but it would require Fox cooperating.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Edge & Christian posted:

Does Gillen really like Star Wars? Like, enough to just sit down and do the rough equivalent of a JJ Abrams Star Trek / Geoff Johns Everything soft reboot of it? Because I can't imagine Disney is looking to revamp the Star Wars Comics line with anything less than a story where All Your Favorites appear in Very Marginally New Ways. And that really doesn't seem up Gillen's alley, unless they made him an offer that will allow him to buy a second home to store all his 45s in.
Disney/Lucasfilm Story Group already did the 'soft reboot' insofar as all of the existing comics (like the rest of the Expanded Universe) are shunted off into the "Legends" brand, while all future Star Wars comics under Marvel and all future licensed novels would be as canonical as both trilogies and The Clone Wars and Rebels animated TV shows.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

muscles like this? posted:

Never is a strong word, basically how it breaks down is that Fox still has distribution rights to the OT. They have ESB and ROTJ for a couple more years but they have the rights for distribution for ANH in perpetuity. So they could make a deal but it would require Fox cooperating.
That makes sense, though it's also a far cry from "George Lucas stipulated in his multi-billion dollar contract that Disney may never ever release the original theatrical cuts of the movie because George Lucas has that kind of clout and hates the movies so much that he released them in 2006 but NEVER NEVER NEVER AGAIN THAT GEORGE LUCAS ALWAYS CAUSING TROUBLE."

Chortles posted:

Disney/Lucasfilm Story Group already did the 'soft reboot' insofar as all of the existing comics (like the rest of the Expanded Universe) are shunted off into the "Legends" brand, while all future Star Wars comics under Marvel and all future licensed novels would be as canonical as both trilogies and The Clone Wars and Rebels animated TV shows.
Right, which just speaks to them wanting to have an even firmer control over the Star Wars property and the comic focusing on All Your Favorites. I was asking if that is something that Kieron Gillen's childhood memories would push him into wanting to do.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

d00gZ posted:

Merry loving Christmas.

Kieron Gillen posted:

Dazzler starts her set. It’s old school Dazzler, but merged with the her more modern take, her classics reinvented – it’s populist, crowd pleasing, communal, a world away from the austere chamber music of the people. You can dance to it. You can cry to it. You can live to it, y’know. And - as Black bolt sings - Allison absorbs all the energy into the biggest lightshow on earth, her body growing in energy, growing in intensity, just growing… until, at the song’s apex, she’s literally the star she’s always wanted to be.
Oh My God!

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Greetings, true believers. I'm sort of getting myself into Marvel comics again, catching up on old favorites and introducing myself to those I should have read in the past. I was wondering if anyone could recommend some "definitive" Captain America stories I could bite into.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Evil Sagan posted:

Greetings, true believers. I'm sort of getting myself into Marvel comics again, catching up on old favorites and introducing myself to those I should have read in the past. I was wondering if anyone could recommend some "definitive" Captain America stories I could bite into.

For modern Cap you basically want everything with him written by Ed Brubaker.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

muscles like this? posted:

For modern Cap you basically want everything with him written by Ed Brubaker.

Seconding this. Brubaker wrote pretty much the definitive take on the character. Waid's Man Out of Time mini-series is a really good retelling of Cap's origin story if you're looking for something like that, as well as being the best thing Waid has written in years.

Genetic Toaster fucked around with this message at 11:51 on May 25, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I was wondering, what are some of the best essential collections? I was thinking of picking up an entire run of books, but after reading a few reviews here and there, the printing quality seems to fluctuate and not all of them are well-considered in terms of what issues they collect. And I'm assuming the black & white look doesn't benefit every book they put out.

I was mainly considering X-Factor, since I've never read it, but apparently it looks like crap? Either way, I'd be glad to hear some thoughts.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Genetic Toaster posted:

Seconding this. Brubaker wrote pretty much the definitive take on the character. Waid's Man Out of Time mini-series is a really good retelling of Cap's origin story if you're looking for something like that, as well as being the best thing Waid has written in years.

What do you call Daredevil then?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

I was wondering, what are some of the best essential collections? I was thinking of picking up an entire run of books, but after reading a few reviews here and there, the printing quality seems to fluctuate and not all of them are well-considered in terms of what issues they collect. And I'm assuming the black & white look doesn't benefit every book they put out.

I was mainly considering X-Factor, since I've never read it, but apparently it looks like crap? Either way, I'd be glad to hear some thoughts.

Personally, after owning some Essentials from various eras, I think it works best for the older 60s stuff.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

Essential Moon Knight v. 1 & 2
Essential Man Thing v. 1 & 2
Essential X-Men v. 1 through ??? depending on how much you like Claremont's X-Men (I like it a lot), at the very least 1 & 2
Essential Doctor Strange v. 1

I just got Essential Power Man & Iron Fist v. 1 and I haven't gotten very far but I like it so far. I think the look benefits the pulpy '70s Marvel stuff really well (seriously, get those Moon Knight books).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Hakkesshu posted:

Most everything written by Lee and drawn by Kirby or Ditko (except maybe their X-men, that was pretty boring).

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
I have the first two Essential Amazing Spider-Mans and I would recommend them always and forever.

I have the first three Punisher Essentials and I will also recommend them always and forever but only if you like the 80s and action movies. It looks fairly decent and it is really stupid, but in a fun way.

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?
I'm just getting into reading comics again and holy poo poo is Marvel putting out some excellent stuff. All-New Ghost Rider, X-Force, Ms. Marvel - there's an unreal amount of great, ongoing series to read.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

srypher posted:

I'm just getting into reading comics again and holy poo poo is Marvel putting out some excellent stuff. All-New Ghost Rider, X-Force, Ms. Marvel - there's an unreal amount of great, ongoing series to read.
Yeah, for the past few years they've been putting out some fantastic, lower-profile books. If you're liking X-Force, you should check out Spurrier's X-Men: Legacy book which concluded just prior to his X-Force starting. They're not related at all, but it was a great book. Ms. Marvel is really a joy to read, though.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

What do you call Daredevil then?

A Good Ongoing Series. v:shobon:v

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
So did they undo the dumb things from Avengers Arena yet?

Doomking
Sep 20, 2006

What is it like to see someone die?
I wonder if my mom knows

srypher posted:

Elektra has been awesome as well. I hope everyone else is enjoying the story of a ninja hurting people while a creepy guy eats people parts.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

irlZaphod posted:

Yeah, for the past few years they've been putting out some fantastic, lower-profile books. If you're liking X-Force, you should check out Spurrier's X-Men: Legacy book which concluded just prior to his X-Force starting. They're not related at all, but it was a great book. Ms. Marvel is really a joy to read, though.

And X-Club, possibly the best X-Men limited series in the last decade.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone

Red posted:

So did they undo the dumb things from Avengers Arena yet?

Nope, they're keeping the plot going with a new series. However, X-23 got out of it by Bendis grabbing her in between series.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

goldenoreos posted:

Nope, they're keeping the plot going with a new series. However, X-23 got out of it by Bendis grabbing her in between series.

:smith: Ugh.

A lot of the characters involved are really interesting, and I just don't see the value in killing them off, even if they hit a big reset button at the end. Has anyone ever given a poo poo about Arcade? He's only really useful as a foil for video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Red posted:

:smith: Ugh.

A lot of the characters involved are really interesting, and I just don't see the value in killing them off, even if they hit a big reset button at the end. Has anyone ever given a poo poo about Arcade? He's only really useful as a foil for video games.
The guy behind Avengers Arena, or so the belief at BSS went (that that's why it happened)?

• Locked thread