Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qntm posted:

this rules, i've wanted it for years and years, hope it becomes standard in all text editors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

coffeetable posted:

your type system obv isnt strong enough

let's see how that deals with 'carrying a live grenade' problem that is I/O

2010 posted:

-- TODO: Better handling of codecs, don't just hard-wire UTF-8!

going places I'm sure

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

coffeetable posted:

In the same way as functions are not allowed to crash, they must also
be terminating.

waiiiiiiiiit a minute

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

GrumpyDoctor posted:

waiiiiiiiiit a minute

it only covers certain forms of recursion

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

KARMA! posted:

being a programmer is very profitable whatever lang you choose :)

for reals. some days i hate my job but then i think, i make twice as much as i did in my blue collar career with the potential to earn way way more in the future and i'm getting paid those fat bucks to sit on my rear end and do nothing 3/4 of the time

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Malcolm XML posted:

unit tests are a poor man's type system

a type system is a poor man's unit tests

Never before have I seen such a succinct expression of the non-termination of dependant type systems.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

do any of you have tips on finding programmers to collaborate with on programming projects? feel like they should be everywhere but are surprisingly hard to find. maybe because I am looking to work in python?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

nrook posted:

I wonder how many small modern/startup shops have unit tests

I feel like the answer to this question would be really depressing

or maybe unit tests are gonna become cool real soon! I gotta believe

I've become the 'write unit tests' guy on one of the projects I'm working on here and the other dude hates it and keeps getting fussy about not doing "TDD"

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

syntaxrigger posted:

do any of you have tips on finding programmers to collaborate with on programming projects? feel like they should be everywhere but are surprisingly hard to find. maybe because I am looking to work in python?

nobody wants to "collaborate" with your dumb rear end and form a shared vision. they have they own fuckin ideas and they don't need you pissin in the pool

you can either contribute code to someone else's project, furthering their goals and in line with their design choices

OR

you can make a project so useful that other people start contributing and conforming to your design

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

fritz posted:

I've become the 'write unit tests' guy on one of the projects I'm working on here and the other dude hates it and keeps getting fussy about not doing "TDD"

there was one "integration test" before i started, and on the other project i touch i had at one point written 100% of the unit tests which covered maybe 5% of the total code base, thankfully that's starting to change but the only automatic evaluation was 'does it compile'

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

nobody wants to "collaborate" with your dumb rear end and form a shared vision. they have they own fuckin ideas and they don't need you pissin in the pool

you can either contribute code to someone else's project, furthering their goals and in line with their design choices

OR

you can make a project so useful that other people start contributing and conforming to your design

never said it was my project

just looking to program on the same thing with other ppl

i would rather hangout in person instead of subjecting a nameless developer to my lovely code

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

syntaxrigger posted:

never said it was my project

just looking to program on the same thing with other ppl

i would rather hangout in person instead of subjecting a nameless developer to my lovely code

looking for JS bro to charge my crystal with, no gay stuff

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

uncurable mlady posted:

looking for JS bro to charge my crystal with, no gay stuff

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I'm not saying that testing is bad but TDD is a great excuse to bikeshed worthless poo poo.

tbc was (kinda) right

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

syntaxrigger posted:

get a job, it's this all day. open source doesn't really lend itself to in-person collaboration until you reach the highest levels / innermost circles, at which point it is a full time job anyway

or just start going to local industry events and talking shop

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Symbolic Butt posted:

I'm not saying that testing is bad but TDD is a great excuse to bikeshed worthless poo poo.

tbc was (kinda) right

all code leads to bikeshedding, because coders are insufferable people

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Symbolic Butt posted:

tbc was (kinda) right

i think fritz is saying that he just wants to implement some tests period and his coworker is being all "herp derp i heard someone say 'tdd' is dumb".

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Don't sign you are posts

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

ultramiraculous posted:

i think fritz is saying that he just wants to implement some tests period and his coworker is being all "herp derp i heard someone say 'tdd' is dumb".

thats it exactly, he's confused 'have any unit tests at all' with 'tdd'

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
it's me, I'm fussy about TDD

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this except all engineering/engineers

not to imply that coders are a subset of engineers, simply to suggest that something about the autistic disciplines really brings out the sperglord in everyone

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Bloody posted:

this except all engineering/engineers

not to imply that coders are a subset of engineers, simply to suggest that something about the autistic disciplines really brings out the sperglord in everyone

as opposed to most other white collar work which consists of nothing but bike shedding and occasional data entry

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

syntaxrigger posted:

do any of you have tips on finding programmers to collaborate with on programming projects?

echoing this:

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

OR

group work under a shared vision owned by no-one in particular is a bad thing that leads to nothing getting done.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

my wife and i make decisions by mutual agreement because we're deciding things that actually matter and there's only 2 of us. as the size of the consensus group increases the probability of convergence declines. eventually you change to voting or nothing is ever decided. even with only 2 people decision by consensus is incredibly cumbersome unless the participants already agree on almost everything

for any given software question there should be exactly one person with authority over the answer. on a healthy team there will be a lot of respectful discussion and decision-makers will welcome it, but ultimately someone has to make the decision & enforce it

Stubbs
Oct 24, 2005

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

for any given software question there should be exactly one person with authority over the answer. on a healthy team there will be a lot of respectful discussion and decision-makers will welcome it, but ultimately someone has to make the decision & enforce it

if only i'd ever seen this instead of weak-kneed "cto"s holding repetitive meetings about the same issues, invariably ending with everyone tiredly waiting for a ruling in this court of bullshit that will never come

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
my workwife is my housewife ;_; smdh

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Stubbs posted:

if only i'd ever seen this instead of weak-kneed "cto"s holding repetitive meetings about the same issues, invariably ending with everyone tiredly waiting for a ruling in this court of bullshit that will never come

urgh, so many meetings playing guess what the CTO wants the answer to be by getting them to veto every suggestion until we guess the right one.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

tef posted:

echoing this:

group work under a shared vision owned by no-one in particular is a bad thing that leads to nothing getting done.

thanks tef

guess I need to find a project because all of my programming ideas are poo poo

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
What interests you, syntaxrigger? Is there anything that seems cool or exciting that you would feel happy about working on full-time?

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

syntaxrigger posted:

thanks tef

guess I need to find a project because all of my programming ideas are poo poo

my approach to finding new projects
  • ugh $thing is confusing
  • and the all explanations of $thing seem to be pretty technical/unintuitive
  • i know i'll write a program that lets you explore the behaviour of $thing
  • *weeks pass*
  • okay maybe im dreaming too big here, let's focus on $subthing
  • *more weeks pass, rinse/repeat*
the golden rule though is to get started. you will be incredibly tempted to thrash around planning the perfect approach to your project. unless you know the problem domain inside out, that's total a waste of time because your plan won't last five minutes past the first line of code. just get started, see what happens, and don't be afraid to start over if you feel you've backed yourself into a corner.

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 26, 2014

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Suspicious Dish posted:

What interests you, syntaxrigger? Is there anything that seems cool or exciting that you would feel happy about working on full-time?

I am interested in data science and the bitcoin protocol, not the currency. If I am honest I don't feel really know what is out there. APIs seem neat but that also seems like a trivial stupid thing to say.

I feel excited working on projects with other people, like in a hack-a-thon type environment but when I work on projects solo I never get anything done which is frustrating.

I am not far enough in my software career where I feel confident I can build something non-trivial solo. I feel like there is too much poo poo I don't know. My old boss knew of my interests and suggested I learn python while reading up on data science.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Sure, but at a broad scale, what interests you. You might not know, but start thinking about it! Want to get down-and-dirty with bare metal working on filesystems? Or have fun implementing all the latest PLangs with compiler / JIT / VM / GC internals? Or visualize the future of computing with realtime 3D graphics, sound, physics and VR systems? Or work on cool apps, maybe even graphics stuff like Photoshop / Illustrator?

Any of that sound exciting and make you want to open your text editor and start coding? I can point you to plenty of open-source projects in any of these areas, and plenty more.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

syntaxrigger posted:

I am not far enough in my software career where I feel confident I can build something non-trivial solo.

i started programming last fall and have since made this and this along with piles of smaller stuff. they're so simple that a component programmer could've turned either of them out in a few days compared to the weeks/months it took me, but that's fine cause i learnt a spectacular amount in the process

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Suspicious Dish posted:

Sure, but at a broad scale, what interests you. You might not know, but start thinking about it! Want to get down-and-dirty with bare metal working on filesystems? Or have fun implementing all the latest PLangs with compiler / JIT / VM / GC internals? Or visualize the future of computing with realtime 3D graphics, sound, physics and VR systems? Or work on cool apps, maybe even graphics stuff like Photoshop / Illustrator?

Any of that sound exciting and make you want to open your text editor and start coding? I can point you to plenty of open-source projects in any of these areas, and plenty more.

I am interested in developing web apps to help communities engage in collective action or just an app that does cool things.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

syntaxrigger posted:

I am interested in developing web apps to help communities engage in collective action or just an app that does cool things.

You probably want to check out github.com then! Good luck!

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

coffeetable posted:

i started programming last fall and have since made this and this along with piles of smaller stuff. they're so simple that a component programmer could've turned either of them out in a few days compared to the weeks/months it took me, but that's fine cause i learnt a spectacular amount in the process

that commutes and rent app is p sweet

syntaxrigger fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 26, 2014

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Suspicious Dish posted:

You probably want to check out github.com then! Good luck!

So...I have certainly heard of github and I have used git everyday for about a year. I have been in industry for about 3 years now and while i wouldn't consider myself an expert, i am certainly not a novice. I was just interested in any tips that people might have in meeting up with programmers to work on projects. Telling a programmer to check out github is like telling a journalist to check out a library.

trap spung, serious posting, blah blah blah

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

syntaxrigger posted:

So...I have certainly heard of github and I have used git everyday for about a year. I have been in industry for about 3 years now and while i wouldn't consider myself an expert, i am certainly not a novice. I was just interested in any tips that people might have in meeting up with programmers to work on projects. Telling a programmer to check out github is like telling a journalist to check out a library.

trap spung, serious posting, blah blah blah

if you wanna do things irl then you gotta either go to meetups or ask your friends if they want to jo and write some poo poo

also hackathons can be legit fun so long as you dont take them seriously, drink a lot of the beer and/or steal some, and pick something to write that is borderline offensive

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

http://vimeo.com/95066828

James Mickens at Monitorama on the cloud, security, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

FamDav posted:

if you wanna do things irl then you gotta either go to meetups or ask your friends if they want to jo and write some poo poo

also hackathons can be legit fun so long as you dont take them seriously, drink a lot of the beer and/or steal some, and pick something to write that is borderline offensive

thanks