Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

Mans posted:

Yes when i think of a common, unified people in language, culture and tradition i think of Italy and Spain.

Or Germany.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I think it was much more important to have a common heritage and roughly similar culture, while being different from those around you.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
http://www.timesofisrael.com/two-jewish-men-attacked-badly-hurt-outside-french-synagogue/

It begins.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Mans posted:

Yes when i think of a common, unified people in language, culture and tradition i think of Italy and Spain.

Yes exactly, thanks for proving my point. Both Italy and Spain have strong independence/automatist (i don't even know if that's the proper word but I'm going to go with it) national movements drawn on a common language, culture and ethnic lines. It is the failure of the Spanish and Italian nation-state to accept that it really is a multi-national state. Where I would argue that America and Canada are non-national states. The usual play of ethnic nationalism is never going to play well in the US.

Baron FU
Apr 3, 2009

You are making a point. But it will probably not be the one you think you are making, especially not if the attackers end up being immigrant muslims who are responsible for roughly 80% of antisemitic attacks in France.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
The fact that Lepen has an extreme Pro-israel stance is probably not helping things, though.

Also, many Muslims in France aren't immigrants, you mean "immigrant descended".

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 13:36 on May 26, 2014

Fated To Be Fat
May 23, 2009

A branch without a tree.
http://yle.fi/uutiset/helsinki_university_attack_trial_begins_with_nazi_salute/7262663

http://yle.fi/uutiset/prosecutor_pair_planned_to_kill_50_at_university_with_guns_and_gas/7262776

quote:

The prosecutor in the Helsinki University attack trial says the two accused were planning to kill 50 random people and were in possession of a large number of items apparently intended for use in the attack. These included devices for preparing poisonous gases, gas masks, hundreds of bullets, knives, handcuffs and a crossbow.

According to the prosecutor, the two planned to steal more weapons from a Helsinki gun shop and then walk to the university campus and begin killing anyone they encountered. They also planned to prepare highly-lethal arsine gas at the university and to start fires and lock doors in order to hinder rescue efforts.

At Helsinki District Court on Monday, the woman admitted to discussing a mass killing, but denied planning one. Her male companion also denied the charge of planning a lethal attack, which is being used for the first time in Finnish jurisprudence. The man also denied possessing gas-production equipment – and demanded that he be given back the confiscated crossbow and arrows.

The male suspect said through his lawyer that he had been bullied at his upper secondary school, and had been considering various plans to kill people for years.

The defence argued that this idea of a campus killing spree was disjointed and therefore did not fit the definition of a crime.

Other news sites reported that the fascist idiots were, in their own words, "terrorised by humanists" and wanted revenge.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

computer parts posted:

I know there's a strong junta streak but I don't know if it's fascist specifically.

I'm not talking about dictatorships, I'm talking about far-right racist-nationalist popular sentiment.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Kurtofan posted:

The fact that Lepen has an extreme Pro-israel stance is probably not helping things, though.

Also, many Muslims in France aren't immigrants, you mean "immigrant descended".

"Extreme pro Israel" She says Jews are Frenchmen (probably lying there), opposes new settlements, and supports a Palestinian state. I think you are getting her confused with Wilders. If there is one thing I have noticed about the radical right in Europe, there is no concrete ideology behind them, besides hating Muslims.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
My bad, then.

She does try to aggressively meet with Israeli politicians though, when she was at the UN she managed to meet one.

Tamerlame
Oct 20, 2012

Crowsbeak posted:

"Extreme pro Israel" She says Jews are Frenchmen (probably lying there), opposes new settlements, and supports a Palestinian state. I think you are getting her confused with Wilders. If there is one thing I have noticed about the radical right in Europe, there is no concrete ideology behind them, besides hating Muslims.

Most of them are anti-EU too, right?

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

YF-23 posted:

Fascism does not need to manifest through territorial revanchism.

I mean if you're going to go "but look fascism is a totally different thing from far-right reactionary authoritarianism" you're really just splitting hairs.

This. A link of the nation to the government as well as a focus on perceived "threats to the nation", focused with corporatism to prevent any labour gains, while not as evil as historical fascism, are pretty much the same loving thing. American minutemen attempting to keep about the "drat Mexicans" with power in Arizona to attempt to illegalize individuals because of their skin colour seem like precursors to blackshirts to me.

Torrannor posted:

I think it was much more important to have a common heritage and roughly similar culture, while being different from those around you.

"White" nationalism is what is used in North America. European heritage that they cling to as some sort of better ideal.

MatchaZed fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 26, 2014

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I think I found the problem here

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
Is it possible to oppose immigration without being fascist or even far-right? Are there any parties that are pulling that off successfully?

FartGhost
Mar 7, 2013

Pretty much every party wants to have at least some check on immigration, but if you mean a full stop of immigration then yeah that's impossible without being nuts.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Doctor Malaver posted:

Is it possible to oppose immigration without being fascist or even far-right? Are there any parties that are pulling that off successfully?

It's generally acknowledged by everyone except the far left and far right that both unlimited immigration and zero immigration are bad things. So, depending on what you mean by "oppose immigration" yes?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Crowsbeak posted:

They all seem to like Putin. I guess it's because he's a big man in charge and commands tanks and poo poo.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Sucrose posted:

It's generally acknowledged by everyone except the far left and far right that both unlimited immigration and zero immigration are bad things. So, depending on what you mean by "oppose immigration" yes?

So the differences are mostly in quotas? Like, right party wants to allow X immigrants in the next four years, and left party wants 3X? I'm asking as someone from a country with no immigration issues.

schadenfraud
Nov 19, 2010

OgO posted:

"The male suspect said through his lawyer that he had been bullied at his upper secondary school, and had been considering various plans to kill people for years."

This is not the best defense I have ever heard.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

Doctor Malaver posted:

So the differences are mostly in quotas? Like, right party wants to allow X immigrants in the next four years, and left party wants 3X? I'm asking as someone from a country with no immigration issues.

I'd imagine the far-right parties don't want to import poverty, and the far-left explicitly does want to import people from poor countries as a social justice/reparations move. Think skilled vs. unskilled immigration.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Doctor Malaver posted:

It's not so much quantity as it's quality. Imagine a graph with ethnicity/race (from least liked to own) on the x-axis, and level of education (from none to highly) on the y-axis. Far right parties want to limit immigration to the ethnicities closest to theirs, or even just their own, but don't care that much about education. The right meanwhile would rather limit immigration according to the level of education, since businesses want highly educated employees. Of course the two can't be treated as entirely separate, so you have parties that mix the two, and overall the border between good and bad immigrants according to the right becomes a quarter circle going from no education immigrants of their own ethnicity to very highly educated people from Africa.

Meanwhile, the far left, as 'on the left' said, see the whole thing from a social justice perspective, which means not sorting good and bad immigrants in that way. This obviously means opening up to a much greater quantity of immigration, but it's not a simple quota. I'm quite certain for example that the Danish People's Party would be in favor of increased immigration if it meant immigration was solely from Norway and Sweden ethnic Norwegians and Swedes.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Thanks, that's interesting. Is the social justice/reparations aspect stronger in former colonial powers? For instance I can imagine that the Brits or the French should feel more obligated to accept immigrants than Swedes or Germans.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
the battle over Commonwealth immigration in the UK ended across the 1960s and 1970s; those arguing in favour of retaining the commitment toward the Commonwealth lost. the modern UK social-justice/immigration battle is over spousal and asylum immigration instead.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Doctor Malaver posted:

Thanks, that's interesting. Is the social justice/reparations aspect stronger in former colonial powers? For instance I can imagine that the Brits or the French should feel more obligated to accept immigrants than Swedes or Germans.

Germans ? You're kidding right? I mean its not like they didn't fight a war to dominate Europe and Africa with them on the top in a racial hierarchy or anything?

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 27, 2014

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
hey they fought that war during a time of belief in Blood and Soil. nobody saw the Green Revolution coming!

I wonder what the Nazis would have thought of Germany being so labour-strapped as rapidly as the 1950s economic miracle that it was importing tons and tons of Slavs and Italians and Turks to work in the factories sustaining the boom

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Considering the nazis themselves imported millions of primarily slavic workers to work inside Germany, probably not a lot.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Interesting choice of colours for the Polish forced workers badge :tinfoil:

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
and not one party advocates open borders?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
I think the Communist Party of Great Britain still does, just as it did in the 1960s

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
Feminist Initiative, Green Party and Left Party in Sweden all support unlimited immigration.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Regarde Aduck posted:

They all seem to like Putin. I guess it's because he's a big man in charge and commands tanks and poo poo.

Rumor has it that they like him because he's funding them.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Folderol posted:

Rumor has it that they like him because he's funding them.

I preferred it when Russia was funding left wing groups.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Crowsbeak posted:

Germans ? You're kidding right? I mean its not like they didn't fight a war to dominate Europe and Africa with them on the top in a racial hierarchy or anything?

I was thinking more in terms of colonial empires first drawing resources from colonies and then accept immigration from them... But yeah I see your point.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
The left, which is the dominant and active policy of the time, thinks that nations are obligated to immigrate anyone no matter how destructive it is in terms of crime, welfare obligation, or cultural disruption. The "far-right" "fascists" think countries should only immigrate those that are somehow beneficial to the country.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Crowsbeak posted:

The difference is that Germany surrendered unconditionally to those it attacked, while the colonial powers were only forced out of their colonies or even left voluntarily. No colonized nation ever attacked one of their former masters at their home.

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

I AM A HORRIBLE TANKIE MORON
WHO LONGS TO SUCK CHAVISTA COCK !

I SUGGEST YOU IGNORE ANY POSTS MADE BY THIS PERSON ABOUT VENEZUELA, POLITICS, OR ANYTHING ACTUALLY !

(This title paid for by money stolen from PDVSA)

Kyrie eleison posted:

The left, which is the dominant and active policy of the time, thinks that nations are obligated to immigrate anyone no matter how destructive it is in terms of crime, welfare obligation, or cultural disruption. The "far-right" "fascists" think countries should only immigrate those that are somehow beneficial to the country.

This is true, some people value human life over the arbitrarily-defined well-being of imaginary institutions like a "country".

No need to put scare quotes around the words "far-right" and "fascists" when you're talking about people who think that a good reason for being denied the rights they themselves enjoy is coming from a poorer country, or because it might threaten the superiority of the nation.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Kyrie eleison posted:

I sort of hope you are trolling, but no. The "left" does not.

Edit: wait, I remember you. Aren't you the borderline sedevacantist monarchist?

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Bob le Moche posted:

This is true, some people value human life over the arbitrarily-defined well-being of imaginary institutions like a "country".

No need to put scare quotes around the words "far-right" and "fascists" when you're talking about people who think that a good reason for being denied the rights they themselves enjoy is coming from a poorer country, or because it might threaten the superiority of the nation.

So you are saying that every party or person that doesn't stand for unlimited immigration is fascist?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Doctor Malaver posted:

I was thinking more in terms of colonial empires first drawing resources from colonies and then accept immigration from them... But yeah I see your point.
The Germans did have their own colonial empire too, they just lost it some decades earlier than (and to) the French and the British.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Edit: wait, I remember you. Aren't you the borderline sedevacantist monarchist?
Not sure about the monarchist bit, but he did run with a hardcore Catholic gimmick for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

I AM A HORRIBLE TANKIE MORON
WHO LONGS TO SUCK CHAVISTA COCK !

I SUGGEST YOU IGNORE ANY POSTS MADE BY THIS PERSON ABOUT VENEZUELA, POLITICS, OR ANYTHING ACTUALLY !

(This title paid for by money stolen from PDVSA)

Doctor Malaver posted:

So you are saying that every party or person that doesn't stand for unlimited immigration is fascist?

No I wouldn't say that, using the term in such a broad way would undermine its usefulness. However I would not use "fascist" in scare quotes when referring to right-wing positions as a way of implying that they are good ideas which are unreasonably associated with reaction.

• Locked thread