Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

AbusePuppy posted:

Look, you don't know for sure he's wrong; maybe his brother posts inflammatory messages and compares people to Hitler on Ebay. It's not outside the realm of possibility.

"Haha, I bet you're too much of a pussy to sell this to me below 70% off RRP. Only Hitler would sell it for 50% off."

e: what a terrible way to start a new page, I'm so sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

ijyt posted:

"Haha, I bet you're too much of a pussy to sell this to me below 70% off RRP. Only Hitler would sell it for 50% off."

e: what a terrible way to start a new page, I'm so sorry.

Apologize for nothing. Correct grammar should be taught from the beginning, for example at the start of a new page.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
What the hell were GW thinking with the summoning power?

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

DJ Dizzy posted:

What the hell were GW thinking with the summoning power?

They were thinking the thread title.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Doesnt matter got runic weapons :smug:

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Dakka has some more pics of the Gorkanaut:

Looks like it most likely is a walker, with giant clown feet. The alternate build is the Morkanaut (of course!), it can also transport 6 guys and the front ram opens up. It's looking a lot better from these pics.

There was another pic on Dakka which shows that Grot Riggers are still in the new book but have been changed to give IWND to the vehicle.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

You trawl with a net but you troll with a fishing pole. The boat is in motion for both fishing activities but the gear is different. Nobody says troll though it's always trolling.

" We don't know were the bait fish are today so no mooching, we will be trolling for salmon"

"That commercial fisherman is trawling for shrimp"

(Mooching is fishing with bait while the boat is drifting. Usually over a school of small fish.)

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
See what I should be doing is finishing my space marines. What I'm thinking of doing is digging out the two black reaches + extra 30 orks plus warbikes plus grots plus 3 killa kans I've got and starting to put together a proper ork army. I've got about 90 boyz, but 60 have choppas and 30 have shootas, and as assault hasn't been fixed I'm a bit leery of two units of 30 boyz with pistols.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Thundercloud posted:

See what I should be doing is finishing my space marines. What I'm thinking of doing is digging out the two black reaches + extra 30 orks plus warbikes plus grots plus 3 killa kans I've got and starting to put together a proper ork army. I've got about 90 boyz, but 60 have choppas and 30 have shootas, and as assault hasn't been fixed I'm a bit leery of two units of 30 boyz with pistols.

I am going to tell you a secret that you can never tell any other man: most people can't be hosed to tell what the gear is on any model that you put down more than ten of, especially xenos. If you put down twenty Boyz and told the other guy that they were all equipped with Argleblats, Griffjows, and a twin-linked Parblenarfer on the squad leader, most people would just nod and say "Okay, are any of those blast weapons?"

What I'm saying is you can use your Choppa Boyz just fine and only the spergiest of sperges will even be able to tell there is anything wrong, much less call you out on it.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Thundercloud posted:

I've painted close to 50 ork shoota boys over the past couple months... I'm almost certain they're going to make choppas really good again and I'll have to paint more boyz.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Cataphract posted:

I've painted close to 50 ork shoota boys over the past couple months... I'm almost certain they're going to make choppas really good again and I'll have to paint more boyz.

See this post? This is what you call boundless optimism.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Cataphract posted:

God I hope so.

I don't think they can make them good again, because the assault rules are terrible and now people can flamer my orks when they're in Trukks/Battlewagons. But maybe they can make them cheaper. That would be okay with me.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

adamantium|wang posted:

See this post? This is what you call boundless optimism.

He contracted it by touching Carl at their recent game. It is still too early to tell if it is temporary case or if it is a life long affliction.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Genghis Cohen posted:

I hate being this guy, but gently caress it, a man can't change what he is:

It's "trawls". Like a trawler is a kind of fishing boat, 'trawling' is dragging a net to pick stuff up.

Sorry again.

Yes, but it's easily confused with this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trolling_(fishing)

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

WhiteWolf123 posted:

God I hope so.

I don't think they can make them good again, because the assault rules are terrible and now people can flamer my orks when they're in Trukks/Battlewagons. But maybe they can make them cheaper. That would be okay with me.

Wait a second, you can use template weapons on open topped vehicles and hit the units inside?

(I don't have the new book, and haven't read through the 500+ pages of discussion since I last read this thread.)

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Indolent Bastard posted:

He contracted it by touching Carl at their recent game. It is still too early to tell if it is temporary case or if it is a life long affliction.

it appears to be temporary. I just read the "choosing your army" chapter and my mind is boggled. It seems even a "battle forged" army can take multiple "combined arms detachments" and, from my reading, they don't necessarily need to be from the same codex... what is going on? this chapter is so flippping confusing.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Sir Teabag posted:

Wait a second, you can use template weapons on open topped vehicles and hit the units inside?

(I don't have the new book, and haven't read through the 500+ pages of discussion since I last read this thread.)

You can indeed.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

LingcodKilla posted:

You trawl with a net but you troll with a fishing pole. The boat is in motion for both fishing activities but the gear is different. Nobody says troll though it's always trolling.

" We don't know were the bait fish are today so no mooching, we will be trolling for salmon"

"That commercial fisherman is trawling for shrimp"

(Mooching is fishing with bait while the boat is drifting. Usually over a school of small fish.)

I have learned something new today!

Finished my IG too (more pics in the oath thread).

The 2 new things I tried, painting a power axe and doing rank insignia on the back of helmets, didn't come out as well as I had hoped.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Sir Teabag posted:

Yes you can. The flamer hits the vehicle and inflicts D6 hits on the unit inside now...

Goat Bouillabaise
Sep 21, 2005
Strike Force DUMBASS!

Zark the Damned posted:

Dakka has some more pics of the Gorkanaut:

Looks like it most likely is a walker, with giant clown feet. The alternate build is the Morkanaut (of course!), it can also transport 6 guys and the front ram opens up. It's looking a lot better from these pics.

There was another pic on Dakka which shows that Grot Riggers are still in the new book but have been changed to give IWND to the vehicle.

This thing reminds me of a Ruzzbot. Is it possible that the Gorka/Morkanaut is an equivalent for modern 40k?

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Yes you can. The flamer hits the vehicle and inflicts D6 hits on the unit inside now...

Good thing there isn't a piece of terrain that gives all nearby flamer weapons the Torrent rule or anything.

Oh.

Welp.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

WhiteWolf123 posted:

I don't think they can make them good again, because the assault rules are terrible and now people can flamer my orks when they're in Trukks/Battlewagons.

Are you making GBS threads me

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Ignite Memories posted:

I wish I was man. :(

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Zombie Plague posted:

Games Workshop needed more money, the only reason needed.

Hi, I know you are probably just trolling at this point but I am gonna treat this like it wasn't just you being lovely for the moment. This is a thread for discussing the 40k game. That means people are allowed to discuss the rules. This often involves back and forth convos about, you know, why the rules are there or what they do. Stuff like LOL IT COSTS MONEY or LOL BECAUSE CASH is counterproductive and just starts the same pointless dumbass fight over and over. So knock it off.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Post 9-11 User posted:

So, the moral of the story is that Moola must set aside the emotions of regret and empathy and be like a true predator in the swamp?

If there was an option to give one probation for multiple posts, I probably would have used that. The moral is if you find yourself with an urge to rant about feminists (or whatever) in the thread about tiny plastic army peoples then hie thee to E/N and talk about it there. Or DDRD. Or GBS. There are a lot of places to be generally weird about things that are not warhammer, and more or less one place that I get to be the janitor of where you can talk about it without that.

Just be cool people!

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Ignite Memories posted:

I used to play orks, that is really funny.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ignite Memories posted:

pah. I think being able to flame open topped vehicles and the insides of buildings is rad as gently caress. If you're running trukk boyz you should have a whole bunch of trukks rocketing across the board who cares if you lose a handful to some flamers.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Cataphract posted:

it appears to be temporary. I just read the "choosing your army" chapter and my mind is boggled. It seems even a "battle forged" army can take multiple "combined arms detachments" and, from my reading, they don't necessarily need to be from the same codex... what is going on? this chapter is so flippping confusing.

No, you've got it right dude.

Just wait until you get to where it lists what units can score.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Cataphract posted:

I tried rereading it twice now and yeah, I'm similarly confused. If you can take multiple detachments from different codices, what's the point of allies?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Cataphract posted:

pah. I think being able to flame open topped vehicles and the insides of buildings is rad as gently caress. If you're running trukk boyz you should have a whole bunch of trukks rocketing across the board who cares if you lose a handful to some flamers.

Except for that's retarded, because 12 trukk boys can't do poo poo in close combat.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Now your boyz can get incinerated by Hellhounds and Heldrakes both inside and outside their transports!

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

adamantium|wang posted:

No, you've got it right dude.

Just wait until you get to where it lists what units can score.

urgh, I just got there. That feels like such a step backwards... when they introduced the concept of "only troops can score" in 5th (or was it 4th) it was a bloody great move and improved the game so much.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
So I made it down to my folks' place for the weekend and had ANAmal.net and Shadow Daishi up for some beerhammer. That means B-B-B-BATTLE REPORTS!

The first game we played was an 850-point skirmish between ANAmal.net's Dark Angels and my White Panthers. I worked overtime getting 5 assault marines painted up in 4 days, only to find out that they're pretty worthless. But they look good!

We played 7th edition using ANAmal.net's fancy new MUNITORUM LIMITED SPECIAL IMPERIAL EDITION book and cards. Because he bought it, he brought a psyker. Both of us played with standard FOCs.

Anyways, on a sunny Satruday in May of the 41st Millennium, some White Panthers and Dark Angels space marines engaged in a live-fire exercise in a ruined city.

TheChirurgeon's White Panthers (the good guys)
Space Marine Captain w/Power Fist and The Primarch's Wrath

Tac Squad Alpha (5)
- Vet Sergeant w/Power Fist
- Melta Gun

Tac Squad Bravo (10)
- Vet Sergeant
- Missile Launcher
- Plasma Gun

Assault Squad Gamma (5)
- Vet Sergeant w/ Power Weapon and Combat Shield

Venerable Dreadnought Caius

Vindicator w/Siege Shield and extra armor

ANAmal.net's Dark Angels (stupid idiot assholes) (as best I can recall)
Librarian (level 2)

Tac Squad Moron (10)
- Vet Sergeant w/Power Fist
- Plasma Gun
- Plasma Cannon

Tac Squad Butthole (9)
- Vet Sergeant w/Plasma Pistol
- Close combat weapons
- Meltagun
- Rhino

Tac Squad Jerkoff (6)
- Vet Sergeant w/Plasma Pistol
- Plasma Cannon
- Plasma Gun

Devastator Squad Jerkwad (5)
- Veet Sergeant
- 4 Heavy Bolters

Scout Squad Douchebag (5)
- Sniper Rifles

The Game Lasted 4 Turns
We were playing on my modular table, with 6x4' being a bit too large for 850 points. To compensate, we used the middle 4x4 section of the table, bifurcated by the river. There were 5 objectives (we discarded any cards referring to a 6th):
(1) The north bridge
(2) The imperial aquila in the building on my side of the river
(3) The south bridge
(4) A point in the north building (held by the scouts at deployment)
(5) The statue in the square

Secondary objectives were Linebreaker, First Blood, and Slay the Warlord. On each of our turns, we drew strategic objective cards up to to the turn number (i.e. on turn 3 I'd draw up to 3 cards) and revealed them. Right off the bat, ANAmal.net noted a lack of anti-armor units in his army which would cause him a lot of problems as the vindicator got to run around with impunity, blowing his marines off the statue as they tried to score it.

Deployment

Overall, the lack of clear objectives made things pretty weird--there was little reason to keep pressing units forward some of the time, particularly if you had an objective like Hold the Line or were worried about having to go back and recapture an objective you just drew a new card for.

Early on we both focused on crossing the river with assault units. My assault squad used the vindicator for cover on the bridge while ANAmal.net's rhino was vaporized by my dreadnought's Multi-Melta.

The joke was on me though, as ANAmal's sergeant jumped out of the wrecked rhino, fired a plasma pistol shot at my Venerable Dread, and rolled 6 twice on the vehicle damage roll.

Then the assaults happened, with ANAmal's marines getting pulped by my Captain and Sergeant with power fists, and my assault marines just getting bogged down with a bunch of Devastators they couldn't really hurt after the squad sergeant got mashed by a power fist (he challenged and then whiffed on his attacks). ANAmal's librarian spent the bulk of the game trying to give the heavy bolter's in the Devastator Squad rending in hopes of destroying the Vindicator by laying into its side armor. I was able to negate once but he got the power off twice, lost his psyker to perils, and the Vinidcator survived with 1 hull point left.

Two of the big problems with the new strategy cards in my opinion are that (1) there are lots of duplicates, and (2) you can just end up lucking into control cards for objectives you are already holding. I pulled two "take objective 3" (the south bridge) while my Vindicator was parked on it and scored both of them that turn. Ultimately I won, 6-5 and it was a pretty fun game overall. Small games own.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 15:50 on May 26, 2014

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

adamantium|wang posted:

Now your boyz can get incinerated by Hellhounds and Heldrakes both inside and outside their transports!

that's a terrible example. A heldrake is 170 points and, sure, it's murder against MEQs but against orks it's likely to drop, what, 30 points worth of boyz?

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Nice batrep, Chirurgeon! I enjoyed watching your Choose Not To Disclose Ethnicity Panthers look great and do stuff to ANAmal's Marines which are not painted and look like doodoo in comparison. Get them painted, ANAmal! :cmon:

Winson_Paine posted:

Just be cool people!

Oh, there was that. I've been a global moderator at a 40k site for (sweet jesus, over ten years now?) and initially gave myself the custom title, "Hey, aren't you the janitor?"

Genghis Cohen posted:

I hate being this guy, but gently caress it, a man can't change what he is:

It's "trawls". Like a trawler is a kind of fishing boat, 'trawling' is dragging a net to pick stuff up.

Sorry again.

Ah, that's right! I once knew that, somehow my own usage corrupted into "trolls." Keep trawlin,' trawlin,' trawlin,' (what). :buddy:

Edit: Auuugh! :psyduck:

I wonder why the Gorkonaut of all things has to be the only transport that pretends to care about scale issues. Six Orks??? Not even 12 so that you could stuff a unit of 6 Megaknobs inside?

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 26, 2014

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?
Out of a 12 strong mob of Orks that's pretty devastating. The remainder will now get chewed up between overwatch and every single army striking first.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

They already were, dude, in a situation where 12 slugga boyz are charging 10 eldar guardians I would rather be the eldar guardians. How hosed up is that.

Now you're telling me even if I got my vehicles into the enemy backline without blowing up [no mean feat all by itself], there's STILL no guarantee that I'll have full-strength squads when I hit the assault phase.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Daedleh posted:

Out of a 12 strong mob of Orks that's pretty devastating. The remainder will now get chewed up between overwatch and every single army striking first.

Even losing the lot isn't "devastating"; they're ork boyz! You should have another 80 of them on the table a few inches behind them. If a unit of 12 orks draws focus from a heldrake then they've done their bloody job as far as I'm concerned. It means my lootas aren't getting targeted.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Ah, ok, so you're saying that the solution to my army getting crippled is buying even more orks? :monocle: YOU DON'T SAY?

Oh, no, that's okay, I didn't enjoy using elites or fast attack units anyway :smith: Who needs anti-tank in an edition when I can just shoot flamethrowers at my enemy's vehicles and -

oh?

Oh, only MY vehicles can take damage like that?

YOU DON'T SAY?

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

IF ONLY GAMES WORKSHOP SAW FIT TO INCLUDE A NEW $125 ORK TRANSPORT WHICH IS CLOSED-TOP BUT HAS AN ASSAULT RAMP! WOULDN'T THAT BE KOOKY YOU GUYS

edit: and wouldn't it be funny if it only held 6 orks? gently caress 'em, right?

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 16:08 on May 26, 2014

• Locked thread