Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Wow, I forgot how infinitely frustrating the Ruin Sentinels are without a human summon. The NPC summon hits like a freight train, but is prone to either jumping down before the first Sentinel dies or staying on the platform after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Motherfucker posted:

It used to be you could ascetic the black gulch bonfire and get a second from the giants there, now you can't.

I recommend just going for it with four souls, Killing the Ancient Dragon to make Vendrick easier is like cutting down the entire rainforest so you can more easily access one tree.

I had zero problems against Vendrick with only a single soul in my inventory and I'm always surprised to see people say you need 4-5 to beat him. Of course I was rocking a +10 mace with 50 strength and some weapon buffs at the time, so I don't know.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Fister Roboto posted:

I had zero problems against Vendrick with only a single soul in my inventory and I'm always surprised to see people say you need 4-5 to beat him. Of course I was rocking a +10 mace with 50 strength and some weapon buffs at the time, so I don't know.

You don't need 4-5 to beat him

But he's tedious enough already.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

drat, were you beating Vendrick right after fighting Veldstat so he didn't get his defense buff? He took a good amount of time for me with four souls and power stanced +10 maces .

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Just beat the game, I'm a little lost on the ending, but overall I enjoyed this whole game immensely, cant wait to see what they'll do with the next one!

one thing thought that's a definite criticism i have is that I wish they at least poked you in the direction of how to finish side stories and quests, I really would've liked to tie the threads of the other characters and stories I met in the game. and the game could definitely have given me a better sense of what's going on.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

You would've been doing maybe 30 damage a hit with only a single soul

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Domattee posted:

You would've been doing maybe 30 damage a hit with only a single soul

Not if he attacked him directly after killing the royal aegis.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

AndroidHub posted:

Maybe a little rare, but definitely not good, not anymore. They had much better damage at release on console, but now they are just bad, and have no scaling at all.

Anyways, I was doing some bell/red orb invasions earlier tonight with this fine lady-

I actually got a few friend requests and messages about how much people liked it. The armor was a bitch and a half though and pumped an extra 250k into my SM, I exhausted all 50 of the spawns in the kings gate to just to get everything but the legs, luckily a friend in my range had some they had no interest in using. It would probably be really good armor if it didn't use twinkling to upgrade, mostly because of how light it is. I also tried to get some blue invasions, but there are absolutely no bites at 900k~ SM unfortunately.

Normally I'd never advocate use of Satiner's Spear, but its the closest thing to the Ruin Sentinels in terms of moveset.

EDIT: Or maybe I'm thinking of the Mastodon Halberd? Either way, good on you for having the patience to farm that set.

Red Crown posted:

Wow, I forgot how infinitely frustrating the Ruin Sentinels are without a human summon. The NPC summon hits like a freight train, but is prone to either jumping down before the first Sentinel dies or staying on the platform after.

I've never fought them with a summon and never will. They're probably my favorite fight in the game in terms of mechanical challenge. Fighting the last two sentinels with manikkin claws was tense as hell.

EDIT 2: Can one of you guys that actually understands mundane tell me if it would be good at all with manikkin claws? As in, would it be significantly better than just working with the C scaling?

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 14:02 on May 26, 2014

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

poptart_fairy posted:

Is Santier's spear the only weapon worth using on a mundane build? I'm thinking of doing a flat 20 for a generalist character but I really don't understand the math behind mundane infusion. Using a regular bastard sword would put me at 280 damage for +10, but then knock it back to 180 after infusion, but with another 150 added and :psyboom:

Dagger is probably superior, but you can try dual Mundane Broken Straight Swords, they basically stunlock the enemy for a good and long time while using barely any stamina to swing. It takes forever though and isn't really amazing compared to a Mundane Dagger, but if you poison them beforehand you can keep a target stunlocked for quite awhile.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.

Babyface Mingo posted:

You mean the short path that takes no longer than about 5 minutes? The one wherein you have to take your time and not aggro more than one enemy?

Oh yeah, incredibly stupid and bullshit design.

The problem with those fuckers is that if at any point you die halfway through clearing them and you die enough times trying to learn Chariot that the earlier ones stop respawning, the rest of the 4 are forcibly linked on subsequent runbacks. No matter how carefully you edge forward, all of them will trigger as soon as you get one's attention. Bit broken that way! Made learning Chariot the first time a massive pain in the rear end.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
What would you guys recommend as a weapon for creep clearing in pve? my katanas break too fast for my liking.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

EDIT 2: Can one of you guys that actually understands mundane tell me if it would be good at all with manikkin claws? As in, would it be significantly better than just working with the C scaling?

Normal Manikin Claws +10: 150 Base Damage + 100 (probable high end estimate) for 250
Mundane Manikin Claws + 10: 75 Base Damage + 170 (at 20 in every stat) for 245

Close call, depends on just how much damage you get from the scaling and what your lowest stat is.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
So how do you attack the Executioner's chariot on a melee character? I resorted to standing in the tunnel and throwing lightning directly down it once the chariot came round the bend because I couldn't get it when it passed me in an alcove

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Toadsmash posted:

The problem with those fuckers is that if at any point you die halfway through clearing them and you die enough times trying to learn Chariot that the earlier ones stop respawning, the rest of the 4 are forcibly linked on subsequent runbacks. No matter how carefully you edge forward, all of them will trigger as soon as you get one's attention. Bit broken that way! Made learning Chariot the first time a massive pain in the rear end.

The Torturers are dumb and I literally haven't bothered to fight them since the first time I managed to clear them all.

Jose posted:

So how do you attack the Executioner's chariot on a melee character? I resorted to standing in the tunnel and throwing lightning directly down it once the chariot came round the bend because I couldn't get it when it passed me in an alcove

You pull the lever to bring down the gate and then murder some horses.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Domattee posted:

Normal Manikin Claws +10: 150 Base Damage + 100 (probable high end estimate) for 250
Mundane Manikin Claws + 10: 75 Base Damage + 170 (at 20 in every stat) for 245

Close call, depends on just how much damage you get from the scaling and what your lowest stat is.

I see. I'm probably just better off forgetting about mundane. I wouldn't benefit at all from investing in vit on this character and int and faith would barely help with pyromancy stuff. If the damage was a substantial improvement it would be worth it but I'm probably better off putting more points in vigor/endurance/attunement instead.

Nalesh posted:

What would you guys recommend as a weapon for creep clearing in pve? my katanas break too fast for my liking.

Greatswords are pretty good at clearing wide swathes of enemies with their onehanded attacks. The bastard sword is easy to use and would be perfect for cleaning up trash mobs.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Oh wow, I never realized how awesome Great Magic Barrier was. On NG++ it turned snake lady's magic explosions from '80% of my health is gone' to 'So was that an attack or foreplay?'

quote:

Keep running down the hall, eventually you'll see a lever near the end. Pull it.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Greatswords are pretty good at clearing wide swathes of enemies with their onehanded attacks. The bastard sword is easy to use and would be perfect for cleaning up trash mobs.

Forgot to say, I'm a full dex build.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Nalesh posted:

Forgot to say, I'm a full dex build.

Curved greatswords scale with DEX. Ornifex sells two of them and Straid the other.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
The Mirrah Greatsword is a DEX greatsword. There's also the Falchion and scimitar. The Estoc is a drat fine mob-clearer.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Flytrap posted:

The Mirrah Greatsword is a DEX greatsword. There's also the Falchion and scimitar. The Estoc is a drat fine mob-clearer.

The Estoc is a strength weapon in DS2.

I really like the falchion. Good move set, good damage, and curved swords are some of the best parry items in game.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

The murakumo sounds fun, I'd get the mirrah greatsword but the mongrel bugged out in the ship so she didn't join in the fight.

Just read that you can use ascetics to complete her questline, what would be the easiest boss as melee for that? Guessing The Rotten, aka fleshy nito.

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 14:47 on May 26, 2014

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
The Executioner's Chariot is pretty chill to lightning spear down, sometimes I just sit at the entry area throwing lightning spears at the guy as he screams around then dodge into an alcove to the right, and repeat the process. A couple times I actually got the horse weak enough to screw up his jump by the time the host/other phantoms manage to get to the lever and pull it, leading to a kind of 'huh' for a few while they wonder why the chariot isn't coming around to smash its face into the gate.

Up until then I don't think I had a single phantom run of the guy where he didn't get gate-d. And I phantomed on that boss a lot.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
That happened to me when I killed it. I ended up having to run all the way round to reach it. Of course I was doing it as the final boss before Nashandra at SL 170 or something with sunlight spear and the +5 dragon chime

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

You know... Nashandra and Vendrick disappoint me.

I mean I know the bit where you walk in and find Vendrick wandering around naked and aimless with his sword was poignant and all, but picture this with me.

Instead the player enters the room and finds Vendrick slumped on a stone seat at the far end of the arena, not unlike the throne of want, or the throne in general, his crown hanging on his head all heavy and both hands on the arm-rests, looking tired, shriveled and weak... the same musical sting plays as you walk across the arena towards him, he twitches and breaths loudly but otherwise stares forwards or better yet, watches the player with stark and obvious confusion, blankly, uncomprehending as you pluck the king's ring literally off his finger...

If you attack him however poo poo gets real.

If you attack the king's shins a few times he should adjust his crown, stand up straight and grab his giant sword from its position leaning against the 'throne', dragging it across with one hand as if unable to heft it one handed before taking it in two.

Cue Artorias vII, Vendrick starts out strong wielding his sword in both hands but as you wear through his health bar he becomes A) slower and b) harder to wound, turning from a strong melee fighter to the slow zombie you see in game now and than eventually one of his attacks causes his sword to fly out of the arena as if by mistake, he overbalances, falls and the player has to finish him off while he crawls towards them and attempts to strike out with his fists.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

By the way, what's up with the Desert Sorceresses lore-wise? The item set describes them as being from Jugo, and the only other person we know from those parts is Benhart - who wears heavy furs and resembles a viking more than anything.

Benhart's armor set says he found the armor somewhere and fell in love with it and then never took it off. Dude probably just has viking fantasies.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Motherfucker posted:

I mean I know the bit where you walk in and find Vendrick wandering around naked and aimless with his sword was poignant and all, but picture this with me.

Instead the player enters the room and finds Vendrick slumped on a stone seat at the far end of the arena, not unlike the throne of want, or the throne in general, his crown hanging on his head all heavy and both hands on the arm-rests, looking tired, shriveled and weak... the same musical sting plays as you walk across the arena towards him, he twitches and breaths loudly but otherwise stares forwards or better yet, watches the player with stark and obvious confusion, blankly, uncomprehending as you pluck the king's ring literally off his finger...

If you attack the king's shins a few times he should adjust his crown, stand up straight and grab his giant sword from its position leaning against the 'throne', dragging it across with one hand as if unable to heft it one handed before taking it in two.

Cue Artorias vII, Vendrick starts out strong wielding his sword in both hands but as you wear through his health bar he becomes A) slower and b) harder to wound, turning from a strong melee fighter to the slow zombie you see in game now and than eventually one of his attacks causes his sword to fly out of the arena as if by mistake, he overbalances, falls and the player has to finish him off while he crawls towards them and attempts to strike out with his fists.

Agreed, but here is what I think should have happened, that would be much better, and more emotionally moving:

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Control Volume posted:

Agreed, but here is what I think should have happened, that would be much better, and more emotionally moving:

Nope, you can't top MY hypothetical internet fantasies.

don't even try.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Control Volume posted:

Benhart's armor set says he found the armor somewhere and fell in love with it and then never took it off. Dude probably just has viking fantasies.

So Jugo is still a desert, then. Just a desert full of Scottish people.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Al-Saqr posted:

one thing thought that's a definite criticism i have is that I wish they at least poked you in the direction of how to finish side stories and quests, I really would've liked to tie the threads of the other characters and stories I met in the game. and the game could definitely have given me a better sense of what's going on.

You're playing the wrong series if you're expecting to have a complete understanding of things on your first time through. Pay close attention to NPC dialogue, read every single item text ever, and then dive into plot discussions, because you'll never piece it together otherwise.

Also, go back and play NG+ to see the stuff you missed!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

So Jugo is still a desert, then. Just a desert full of Scottish people.

It's not a scottish accent it's a (some obscure town in northern england) accent, god don't you know anything.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

It's not a scottish accent it's a (some obscure town in northern england) accent, god don't you know anything.

Benhart is Scottish, you rube.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You can beat the big dragon pretty easily. When you start run towards it, then when it lifts it's head up sprint towards one of the forward legs. You have to sprint in arc away from the center so you don't get caught by the breath. While it's breathing fire and a little afterwards just wail on the claw a few times. Then back off from the foot a little and wait till you see it flap it's wings. Sprint back towards the entrance.

Rinse and repeat, till it's health is zero.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Weird Corpse Committee checking in with our Monday report:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

So I keep a +10 dagger in my pocket as a backup weapon/for backstab and riposte purposes. At 50 int and only 22 dex, is this the one singular circumstance in existence where the enchanted infusion would be worthwhile?

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 26, 2014

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

argondamn posted:

The Torturers are dumb and I literally haven't bothered to fight them since the first time I managed to clear them all.

You pull the lever to bring down the gate and then murder some horses.

Well, they're incredibly easy to deal with individually. It's just that stupid bug with their aggro trigger that makes them annoying. My most recent character had me 2-shotting them with a +4 Halberd at SL 50-something. Bait out their combo and backroll out of the way, take a shot or two, repeat as necessary. The crazy short startup time on their attacks makes dealing with more than one of them a nightmare, though.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

It's like some kind of folded-up, armored, beached whale. :allears:

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

turtlecrunch posted:

I'm reminded of one of the more FUBAR scenes from the Wishmaster movies for some inane reason. My brain is so broken.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Motherfucker posted:

Terrible and completely misses the point of Vendrick's fight.

Vendrick is essentially just a giant hollow soldier. His attacks are similar to theirs, his movements nearly identical. All he does is shamble around aimlessly like they do. This is intentional. They wanted him to feel like a giant hollow because that's what he is. The curse has reduced him to a mindless husk. He's no more intelligent than all the other hollows you've seen up until now. the difference is Vendrick has incredible poower which he retains even in this state. Which is why despite moving like a zombie, he still hits like a goddamn truck. He still has incredible power, he just is incapable of using it because his mind has degraded completely.

If he actually pulled out fancy tricks and did crazy stuff then the fight wouldn't feel the same.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

turtlecrunch posted:

Draw me like one of your French corpses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I have a question about the plot, close to the end of the game:

So I got to where the King is wandering around naked, the part where you get his ring at the end of the Undead Crypt. I saw the Emerald Harold at the top of the stairs after I got the ring, but not before. Did I just not see her and miss a bunch of important plot exposition or does she not appear until after you get the ring?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 26, 2014