Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
There was a search term map posted recently and Florida Googled "Mazda Miata" the most, Connecticut was "Wu Tang Clan", and Minnesota had "rollerblading", etc etc

I've been putting around Minneapolis on a bicycle today and it's real. I stopped counting when I got to the 50s. :stare:

e: something more AI related

Phone fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
For those that haven't heard: Roadkill co-host Mike Finnegan has a new webshow, Hot Rod Garage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQM2THiW1sE

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Things that really make me pucker: When you're driving home and it's raining, so the lanes are harder to see. Then, suddenly, your window fogs up. Can't see poo poo as you're barreling down the highway at 50mph. I somehow made it over into the shoulder so I could figure things out, but to be honest, I'm not sure I even stopped in a shoulder. Things I didn't know - when your window fogs up in the rain, defrost doesn't help. Gotta run the AC through the defrost vents. :stonklol:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Tha Chodesweller posted:

Gotta run the AC through the defrost vents. :stonklol:

Defrost is supposed to do this by itself.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Tha Chodesweller posted:

Gotta run the AC through the defrost vents. :stonklol:

What's scary is not the fogging, it's how many people I have encountered who have no clue how to defog their windshields possibly rear-ending or swerving into my shitbox.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I ran into a thunderstorm on 395 through CT today that was so strong, literally half the cars just gave up driving and pulled into the shoulder.

I froged on with the help of my wipers and defroster though.

fake e: did anyone in their charcoal grey cars elect to turn their lights on? Of course loving not.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Searching locally for an apartment when the lease at the current house ends.

this is part of the virtual tour.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Raluek posted:

Yet it doesn't on plenty of things with discreet AC buttons. Things like the dumbed down Ford 3-wheel climate control will do it automatically, but plenty of stuff with other types of manual climate control will not. If you can set a temperature on a digital display or LCD then you don't need to worry about this (as far as I know).

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Raluek posted:

Well, yeah. But when I say AC, I mean cold air. Not warm air.

Elviscat posted:

fake e: did anyone in their charcoal grey cars elect to turn their lights on? Of course loving not.

Same goddamn thing I saw on that drive home. Most white/gray cars going the other direction had their lights off. I thought they were goddamn crazy.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Motronic posted:

Yet it doesn't on plenty of things with discreet AC buttons. Things like the dumbed down Ford 3-wheel climate control will do it automatically, but plenty of stuff with other types of manual climate control will not. If you can set a temperature on a digital display or LCD then you don't need to worry about this (as far as I know).

Didn't know that. :shobon: I don't have anything with A/C, I just read that it was a thing. Probably here.

este
Feb 17, 2004

Boing!
Dinosaur Gum
AC works at any temperature :eng101:

So if you want to dehumidify and not be cold, you can certainly do that.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Tha Chodesweller posted:

Well, yeah. But when I say AC, I mean cold air. Not warm air.

The hot/cold position of the blend door is nearly meaningless to it's effect on defogging a window when the A/C is running due to it's dehumidifying.

This is why you want A/C in your car even when (or especially when) you live in a cold environment. And a heated windscreen if available.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I have a guy willing to trade this beetle:

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/cto/4464076371.html

for my 1997 Subaru Outback tomorrow morning. We were going to do it today, but he didn't like the smoking from the Y-pipe from the power steering leaking, so I rebuilt the power steering pump this afternoon, and replaced the alternator because I managed to kill it by banging on it when I was taking the P/S pump off. As long as it doesn't smoke too bad tomorrow (come on heatshields!), he's going to do it.

I was going to trade for a different one, a 1971 Standard Beetle with no rear seat, no headliner, no speakers or stereo, painted in matte black rustoleum, but brand new tires and new door cards, along with a fresh engine rebuild and clutch. The guy with the 71 flaked out after two weeks of leading me on saying that he's getting the title duplicate in the mail, but we talked and he seemed like a genuinely nice guy. Yesterday morning, he emailed me saying that he was going to make more money parting it out instead, so I, in my hungover state, called him quickly and left a message pleading him to sell to me, because I have already acquired a lot of parts to start the rebuild project for a SA thread.

This evening, after I did a bunch of poo poo to get the Subaru acceptable to Orange Super Beetle Guy, Black Standard Beetle Guy emailed back saying that he'll [jokingly] stop "playing hard to get" and that he'll contact me when the title arrives, because he still wants the Subaru.

The orange Super Beetle has a squeaky steering wheel, shudders a little on hard stops (probably front bushings or tie rod ends), and the brakes are spongy as gently caress despite him stating "new brakes all around last fall." It also has a small oil leak (tiny flapjack-sized puddle after a few days of sitting) that's probably, by my guess, a gasket of some sort on the oil pan or oil screen. But it has all the seats, a good headliner, and the flat dash and windshield, and it uses the standard Beetle's bumpers and turn signals, so I can use the ones I've purchased.

When it rains, it loving pours, doesn't it? At least, if Orange Super Beetle Guy doesn't like the Subaru tomorrow (though all signs point to "yes" if it will stop smoking leaking oil for five loving minutes), I have a backup.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Motronic posted:

I discovered that my 99 Altima always ran the a/c when on the defrost mode (but not on defrost/floor mix), even though it didn't light up the switch. It also forced fresh air.

It would also go into recirculate when set to vent, a/c, and the fan switch was at max.

I want to say most Honda stuff I've owned turned on the a/c when you switched to defrost, but I'm not 100% on that.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

gently caress EVER GOING ON ANY ROAD TRIPS WITH MY loving FAMILY FOR ANY REASON EVER THE FUCKA GAIN

THAT IS ALL

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

some texas redneck posted:

I discovered that my 99 Altima always ran the a/c when on the defrost mode (but not on defrost/floor mix), even though it didn't light up the switch. It also forced fresh air.

It would also go into recirculate when set to vent, a/c, and the fan switch was at max.

I want to say most Honda stuff I've owned turned on the a/c when you switched to defrost, but I'm not 100% on that.

No car I've owned with manual climate control and functional AC has done this.
The ones with automatic always did.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Just thought I should let you know, the super beetle invented alignment problems.

otherwise, GET IT. it does have an alternator, which is nice to have.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

nm posted:

No car I've owned with manual climate control and functional AC has done this.
The ones with automatic always did.

Looks pretty manual to me.

The a/c and recirculate lights didn't come on when it forced either of them, but the compressor very much engaged when on defrost. And the recirculate button did absolutely nothing except toggle the indicator light when on vent/ac/fan=4 (you could hear the recirculate door move as well).

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

some texas redneck posted:

Looks pretty manual to me.

The a/c and recirculate lights didn't come on when it forced either of them, but the compressor very much engaged when on defrost. And the recirculate button did absolutely nothing except toggle the indicator light when on vent/ac/fan=4 (you could hear the recirculate door move as well).

I'm not saying you're lying, I'm saying it isn't anywhere near universal.
My Mazda 2 will let me turn on defrost using no AC and recirc. This fogs my windows even on fairly normal days.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah, definitely not a universal thing. It surprised me when I figured out what it was actually doing.

Recirc anything without running the a/c means fogged windows on my car instantly, pretty much year round. Mostly humidity, partly because I do food delivery - so grease builds up on all of the windows in my car pretty quickly. :barf:

blk
Dec 19, 2009
poo poo like this is why I'm not liking my Nexus 4 Android experience:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rXCvc2bfyA

Bluetooth randomly turns off, won't turn back on. Have to hard reset the phone, sometimes multiple times, for it to play ball again.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Datsuns have been doing this since the factory ac days in the late 70s.

When it works, it works amazing!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

blk posted:

Bluetooth randomly turns off, won't turn back on. Have to hard reset the phone, sometimes multiple times, for it to play ball again.

Might try a different ROM + radio?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Speaking on auto headlights.
Why is it that my 1992 camry would turn off the headlights if I turned off the car (and so does my 2005 subaru), but my 2013 mazda just dings until the lights get turned off?

Also, gently caress the "kill the battery if you take it to a carwash" switch on subarus.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_xmJt3pwcQ

Been watching a lot of Petrolicious videos, the machining and custom work on these is just amazingly well done. Absolutely gorgeous.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

nm posted:

I'm not saying you're lying, I'm saying it isn't anywhere near universal.
My Mazda 2 will let me turn on defrost using no AC and recirc. This fogs my windows even on fairly normal days.
Funny 'cause the 3 and the late model Proteges will turn it on starting at the floor vent position!

nm posted:

Why is it that my 1992 camry would turn off the headlights if I turned off the car (and so does my 2005 subaru), but my 2013 mazda just dings until the lights get turned off?

Also, gently caress the "kill the battery if you take it to a carwash" switch on subarus.

Don't know about the '92 but on the previous generation Camry that wasn't a standard feature! Also, auto-off is available on higher-trim 3s :P

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

nm posted:

Why is it that my 1992 camry would turn off the headlights if I turned off the car

That would drive me loving crazy. As someone who does delivery, I often wind up delivering to some fuckwit at night who doesn't bother turning on a porch light. So I park at an angle in their driveway with my headlights facing their front door (lest I trip over their garden hose, dead cat, broken steps, etc).

It requires flipping the switch from "auto" to "on", and enduring the chime of shame as I get out of the car. Car still shuts them off after 15 minutes, but if I'm not back in it by then I'm probably dead..

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Tha Chodesweller posted:

Things that really make me pucker: When you're driving home and it's raining, so the lanes are harder to see.
I did this yesterday afternoon with the 928 which is poo poo in the rain to begin with. Left my house where it was sunny and great weather and head towards Knoxville...sky got darker and darker and the rain got heavier and heavier to the point where the wipers at max weren't doing poo poo. Somehow ~75% of cars were smart enough to turn on their lights and slow down to about 30mph so there were only a couple crashes. Another mile and the roads were dry and the sun was back out.

Anyone have advice for what to do when you're going to be away from your house for 2 months? I've done week and two week trips and don't worry much but two months I have no clue. I'm planning on turning the water heater way down, turn off water at all the faucets (should I just turn the house supply off?), physically lock the garage door and turning off all the breakers except refrigerator and the one powering my HVAC which I'll set to maintain 50-80. My brother will swing by once a week to check on things and let me know about any bills that show up. Have a neighbor taking care of the lawn and a couple neighbors keeping an eye on the house. Other than basically empty the fridge and clean the place am I missing anything?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Elviscat posted:

I ran into a thunderstorm on 395 through CT today that was so strong, literally half the cars just gave up driving and pulled into the shoulder.

I froged on with the help of my wipers and defroster though.

I got hit by that in south central mass. Eight inches of water on the highway in places (not an issue for me aside from hydroplaning, a lot of people weren't happy about it though) and there was a sudden squall that dumped an assload of hail in one spot. When I say one spot I mean it, it went from rain to hail on the ground in a few hundred feet, then the hail was piled 3 inches deep, then it went back to rain a quarter mile later and the road was dry a half mile after that. And it was sunny by the time we got to the spot where it hailed.

Gotta love new england :v: if you don't like the weather, wait a minute. literally.

If you get stuck in a nasty storm and the defrost doesn't work because the AC is broken, turn it to full heat instead. You can make fogged glass go away in two ways, either raise the surface above the dew point for the temperature/humidity of the air near it, or blow non-saturated (drier than it could be) air at it to evaporate the condensation.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

leica posted:

Yeah you wanna be at least 250 lbs to be a bouncer, 300 is probably ideal, just to discourage (most) dudes from trying to test you. I'm 160 and 6' tall, so people aren't intimated by my size and want to test me all the time. But like I said I'm used to it and seeing people's reaction when I'm indifferent to their threats is pretty funny.

A local bouncer here recently got charged with manslaughter after he choked a dude out and he died in the hospital. And I've heard stories of others getting the poo poo sued out of them for injuries. gently caress that.

I worked the door a few times back when I was in the bar business, and I found the opposite was true. I'm 6'6" and 300 when I'm in shape, and it just means drunk idiots wanted to swing on me to make their balls feel big.

Rhyno posted:

This is a pretty common thing. A dude I know was out with his wife and some friends. One of the long term bouncers at the club had been into his wife for years and cornered her while 4 other bouncers beat the poo poo out of her husband out in the alley. They took his wallet and phone and threw them in a dumpster and left him lying with a shattered jaw and busted orbital socket. His wife spent the night calling friends and family and she and an officer hit the various ERs and didn't find him for 6 hours. None of the bouncers lost their jobs. The ringleader is now the manager of the upscale club here in town where I'm sure he still runs his game on girls he can't have.

gently caress that guy, I hope the next mark he tries that on is an undercover cop and shoots his rear end.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

nm posted:

My 1986 Celica turns off the headlights as soon as you open the drivers door with the key off, but my 1999 Corolla will just piss and moan about it until you manually switch them off. Pisses me off, both cars are made by Toyota, it cannot have cost that much to keep that loving relay around.

I mean, I get that the Celica was a fully loaded sports-thing when it was made and the Corolla is just an up-optioned washing-machine but still.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 14:48 on May 26, 2014

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

CharlesM posted:

Funny 'cause the 3 and the late model Proteges will turn it on starting at the floor vent position!

This drives me insane in my 3. In the winter once I get the cabin nice and toasty, I like to switch the heat to just the floor position, to keep my feet warm, but no, the A/C has to run also for some reason only known to Mazda. I get it running on the defrost or floor/defrost setting, but why the floor only setting? I also never use my auto climate control for the same reason, no matter what temperature it is outside/inside, the A/C compressor comes on.

opengl fucked around with this message at 15:37 on May 26, 2014

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I remember back in the day someone made a mod to disable that on the Protege. Maybe it applies to the 3 also. Search mazdas247.com I think.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Maybe they're trying to help you dry out the floor from possibly melting snow you brought in? Makes sense in a way.

Hondas definitely all (all the ones I've been in, anyway) turn on the AC whenever you select defrost.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Liquid Communism posted:

I worked the door a few times back when I was in the bar business, and I found the opposite was true. I'm 6'6" and 300 when I'm in shape, and it just means drunk idiots wanted to swing on me to make their balls feel big.

Well you're gonna get that no matter how big you are because of drunk idiots, but for the most part no one is going to gently caress with a guy your size. People have no problems getting in my face drunk or not because I'm not physically intimidating and everyone thinks they can "take" me. But most of the time once they realize I'm not going to back down, they back off because I inform them in no uncertain terms that they will be going to jail with a felony (FL law) if they so much as touch me, the local cops have my back and can usually make it there in 2.2 seconds.

Nine times out of ten, saying the word Cops and/or Jail will get even the drunkest hardass to back down.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

Nine times out of ten, saying the word Cops and/or Jail will get even the drunkest hardass to back down.

Some dude broke a pool cue over a table and pointed it in my face once. I just said "Okay, Police time" and backed away to call them. Dude was on his knees crying in like a minute, wailing about how this is his last strike and he's going up for 10 years.

Those were fun nights.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Exactly, most of these idiots have something to hide (drugs) something on their record they don't want discovered (warrants) or don't want a record started to begin with.

But even then some are so dumb it's mind boggling. I once had a guy get in a fight with his girlfriend, she locked him out of the room and he sat outside the door pounding on it at 2am waking up all the other guests. I warned him and he continued, so I called the cops. Dude had a warrant and they took him away :psypop:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Man, you know what is awesome? Catching your pinky-toe on a pallet and ripping the whole drat nail off.

I could hear it tear :gonk:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Why were you around pallets without shoes on? Cause that's nightmare material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Hypnolobster posted:

Hondas definitely all (all the ones I've been in, anyway) turn on the AC whenever you select defrost.

One of the many reasons I will never own another Honda car again.

In the PNW, it's very common to get a light drizzle of rain that is just enough to fog up your windshield if you don't leave the fan blowing on it lightly, but it's not humid enough to require the A/C on to dehumidify things, so I reallly, reaallllllllly like being able to turn the fan to the window vent position and have it blow fresh vent air at the window without losing the 3-4 mpg from having the A/C on year-round (on for 6 months of the year to keep me cool, the other six months because it's drizzling and I have to keep a light flow of air at the windows).

loving piece of poo poo nanny garbage. :argh:

Conversely, my BMW with it'a auto climate control still lets me manually turn the AC off when in defroster mode, since some companies are nice enough to not patronize owners who are smart enough to know when they need to use the AC to defrost and when not to.

• Locked thread