Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

CodfishCartographer posted:

So I'm usually proud of my facebook feed because of the general lack of idiots. Then this gets posted this morning

Not the worst thing posted in the thread by far, and at least Net Neutrality is an actual issue, but the way this's written is just so ugh

That one's kind of all over the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Experto Crede posted:

drat those murdeders!

He was "murded", that would make them "murders".

:pseudo:

murdeder is fun to say

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.
murded, murderer, murdedest

EDIT: This post brought to you by I-should-probably-go-to-bed

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Faggots are still complaining that they can't use horrible slurs on TV.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
Whoever that is should probably follow their own advice at the end of the post.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

What the gently caress is "newly" trans

ShitheadDeluxe
May 14, 2007

Bored posted:

murdeder is fun to say

Murdeder.

I'll be damned, it IS fun to say!

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Barfing Cumlord posted:

What the gently caress is "newly" trans

Considering the post was about RuPaul, I'd think it was really young people who just discovered trans and probably don't know RuPaul.

The guy kind of had a point though. At least most of the trans communities I've seen are incredibly self-absorbed and sensitive, so I can see this kind of thing being an issue.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Considering the post was about RuPaul, I'd think it was really young people who just discovered trans and probably don't know RuPaul.

The guy kind of had a point though. At least most of the trans communities I've seen are incredibly self-absorbed and sensitive, so I can see this kind of thing being an issue.

RuPaul isn't transgendered though. I also doubt the people getting upset with him doesn't know who he is.

Alpacalips Now
Oct 4, 2013

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

soldiers are literally jesus :barf:

What kind of people make and put up these signs? I know quite a few people who are in the service, or are veterans, and only one of them isn't embarrassed by this frothing hero worship. But at least that guy has enough modesty not to compare himself to Jesus.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
That sign says some interesting things about how its author conceptualizes Jesus.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Seriously. I think DoctorWhat is, like, 18 or something.

drat kids! :argh:

I'm not quite that young, if it makes you feel any better.

It probably doesn't.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
When the hell did Tranny become a "horrible slur"?

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Memorial Day, time to re-post all of the straw men.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

When the hell did Tranny become a "horrible slur"?

Around 1970 or so

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

rodbeard posted:

RuPaul isn't transgendered though. I also doubt the people getting upset with him doesn't know who he is.

Sorry to further this, but I was really confused about this whole thing, because wasn't it like season 6 when people started freaking out about it? RuPaul has contributed SO MUCH to the gay community and I never took she-mail as a slam against trans* people because the whole purpose of the show is gay men, dressed as women, and it was their daily mail. I'm fully supportive of lgbtq or however it is preferred to be written currently, but was it like, many trans people who took offence to it? Or is mostly like, a loud minority?

54 40 or fuck has a new favorite as of 12:56 on May 26, 2014

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Toriori posted:

Sorry to further this, but I was really confused about this whole thing, because wasn't it like season 6 when people started freaking out about it? RuPaul has contributed SO MUCH to the gay community and I never took she-mail as a slam against trans* people because the whole purpose of the show is gay men, dressed as women, and it was their daily mail. I'm fully supportive of lgbtq or however it is preferred to be written currently, but was it like, many trans people who took offence to it? Or is mostly like, a loud minority?

People have been telling RuPaul that he shouldn't use 'tranny' because it's offensive since sometime in the 90s.

And yes, it's a loving offensive word.

Aphtonites
Dec 25, 2012

Sure, Jailbot was broken, but
weren't we all at some point? :(

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Let's tell minorities how to feel about slurs.

It's fun when the idiocy comes from inside the thread.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Toriori posted:

SybilVimes posted:

People have been telling RuPaul that he shouldn't use 'tranny' because it's offensive since sometime in the 90s.

And yes, it's a loving offensive word.

Huh, interesting. I was a baby/toddler in the 90s, but I had an older friend go on and on about how great rupaul is/was when I was a teen. Sorry if it came across as ignorant, I'm trying to learn as much as I can. :shobon:

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

That's it for me. I'm done with this kid.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Takoluka posted:

I've heard this in the comment section of every story on this. It's like they don't have basic reading comprehension.

The reason why he shot people is because of his deep-set hatred of women. The reason why people are bringing up misogyny is because that was the motive, not because of who specifically died.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
All from the same woman who went a little stir-crazy after her husband retired from the Army.

:rolleyes:

She deleted the post without comment after I pointed out it was a hoax. I really don't like the perpetuation of false paranoia, that we should check under every single toilet seat cover for the rest of our lives for something that doesn't even exist in the first place.

mng posted:

All the strawmen.

Oh no! Is someone telling you you should apologize for your right to FREEDOM and SPEECH and AMERICA? :ohdear: Because I've never heard anyone demand that someone say sorry just for a simple, stupid thing like that.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

Takoluka posted:

You need to pay him a beatingvisit first.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009

mng posted:

Dying for Hot Dogs.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

AstroWhale posted:

Dying for Hot Dogs.

I was in the military and I didn't die. Somewhere a little kid goes without hot dogs today, all because of me.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

AstroWhale posted:

Dying for Hot Dogs.

It's true, I went to Harris Teeter and right there on the label it said "ten pack hot dogs, $bloodoftheamericansoldier"' but I just paid with credit.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

mng posted:

Hotdogs are made out of dead soldiers?

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Sodium Chloride posted:

Hotdogs are made out of dead soldiers?

I assume the implication is that the hotdogs were really cooked in oil.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Suzuki Method posted:

I've heard this in the comment section of every story on this. It's like they don't have basic reading comprehension.

The reason why he shot people is because of his deep-set hatred of women. The reason why people are bringing up misogyny is because that was the motive, not because of who specifically died.

He also managed to turn himself into a victim by pointing out that misandry is alive and well, because he was involved in an incident where his ex-girlfriend attacked him (the guy is not small and was on the coast guard or whatever), and while she was arrested, he ended up getting evicted from his apartment. He's been homeless (?) and living in a tent somewhere, I guess.

I am not joking when he used the hashtag to promote his GoFundMe to get money for his situation, despite having a full-time job that allowed him to attend an out-of-state anime convention one week ago.

I was tolerate of his idiotic views prior to this, but this was the last straw.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Takoluka posted:

He also managed to turn himself into a victim by pointing out that misandry is alive and well, because he was involved in an incident where his ex-girlfriend attacked him (the guy is not small and was on the coast guard or whatever), and while she was arrested, he ended up getting evicted from his apartment. He's been homeless (?) and living in a tent somewhere, I guess.

I am not joking when he used the hashtag to promote his GoFundMe to get money for his situation, despite having a full-time job that allowed him to attend an out-of-state anime convention one week ago.

I was tolerate of his idiotic views prior to this, but this was the last straw.

"Misandry" or not, he's still a victim, and this is something that a lot of people forget when they go straight toward personally attacking the guy. He was a victim of mental illness, of our country's lovely mental health infrastructure, of toxic masculinity convincing him that sex and losing virginity were the only things important in life, and of the MRA movement which took a down-on-his-luck kid and filled his brain with poison. Mental imbalance + extreme thoughts (in this case, extreme misogyny) = disaster. People blaming this completely on misogyny or the MRA movement are missing the big picture.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Segmentation Fault posted:

"Misandry" or not, he's still a victim

I agree 100%, but a tragedy of this nature is not the place to go "Yeah, but what about me!?"

vvvv
e: Misinterpreted you as well. Sorry about that!

Takoluka has a new favorite as of 18:50 on May 26, 2014

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Takoluka posted:

I agree 100%, but a tragedy of this nature is not the place to go "Yeah, but what about me!?"

And why not? He's a victim, and half the reason this tragedy happened is because he got roped into an extremist subculture. It doesn't lessen the importance of the other victims to say that yes, he was a victim too.

EDIT: Nevermind, misinterpreted what you were saying

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
If you want to lose Facebook friends/be kind of a dick, you could always point out that no American soldier has died in a war that posed a true existential threat to America since 1945.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
See my idea was to ask if today is the day we remember Wounded Knee, My Lai, and Fallujah (I did not actually do this).

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

The TUV are like the DUP but more hardline, if you can believe that.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

*posts status about zinging a subway employee over cheese*

I call him out that he's being overly fussy.

NO YOU'RE PUTTING MORE EFFORT THAN MY CHEESE POST

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

Well, clearly, you made a whole 2 posts, that's obviously more invested than the 6 he made.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
What would a food services job be without random assholes who have to be right about the most pointless bullshit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

Wait, I don't get it. He says grated. She confirms that he means shredded, he says 'no, they are different'. But then in these comments, it becomes 'it means the same thing but she's a dumb bitch who tried to correct me and I put her in her place'. Something tells me Carol Sell doesn't know what the gently caress he (she?) is talking about.

• Locked thread