Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
http://i61.tinypic.com/2ew17uv.jpg

modnote: OMG Half a man rear end, you big babies.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 12:54 on May 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Sabel posted:

What the hell do these even have to do with each other

This is so loving easy and rudimentary. You break numbers into simple uniform numbers to make it easier in your head, I've always done it like this. I also did a test on meself with this one, I picked an answer at random after only skimming the question once and got the right one. Why? Because Im a genius, because it's the only one that equals to 8, only need to see the 8 in the answer at the end and dont need to know the question, thats thinking ahead, man (that and I had 1 in 4 of guessing it right). So in conclusion Common Core is awesome Bill Gatess is a genius and is going to build a genius generation of children and schools in which math Nerds are the alpha males and jocks are the beta retards. That said I also failed math in high school and dropped out lol

DayReaver
May 6, 2007
Guy Debord is the only one who gets my name
Probably the best thing that's going to come out of CC is getting to listen to all the fucktard halfwits complain for the next decade because they can't comprehend what's essentially just an externalization of the process any 2nd grader uses in their head to solve basic arithmetic. The right is going to be up in arms.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

DayReaver posted:

Probably the best thing that's going to come out of CC is getting to listen to all the fucktard halfwits complain for the next decade because they can't comprehend what's essentially just an externalization of the process any 2nd grader uses in their head to solve basic arithmetic. The right is going to be up in arms.

Like with most things, it's probably going to be the poor children who suffer when their parents can't help them with their basic math problems because what the gently caress is this.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

speaking as an adult, if this poo poo was invented by teachers, then no loving wonder. all the kids who grew up to be teachers were drat idiots who did it for the summer vacation. I'm glad that when I was in school I was in the AP classes so I didn't have to be around those remedial retards, and was able to get a good job in the private sector working 12 months a year 60 hours per week with poor health benefits and little 401k match. But I'll be loving damned if I cant calculate my poor compensation in my head, fuckers.

Lightanchor
Nov 2, 2012
If I were in that school, I would have resented doing all those steps when I know in a split second that 15-7=8. Maybe that method is helpful for some students. Students should be taught a few ways and be allowed to do whichever is natural for them.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Gulzin posted:

However, I don't think this is a magic bullet. You want to solve the education problems: the first best step is to stop No Child Left Behind and put something better in there (say an accreditation system like colleges have).

k-12 schools have accreditation agencies:ssh:

atlanta lost theirs went into probation a few years back over a huge cheating scandal due to nclb, and michelle rhee nearly cost dc theirs for the same thing

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 14:32 on May 26, 2014

Lightanchor
Nov 2, 2012

Gulzin posted:

Oh, so when was the last time you had to quickly add and subtract two digit numbers quickly? Were you faster than a calculator?

Also, if you had to do it quickly, did you do it with pen and paper, because common core's method makes it MUCH easier to do in your head?

Quickly do 42-29. By common core's method it is easy to do in your head: 29+1=30, 30+10=40, 40+2=42, so 1+10+2=13.

Now do it quickly with the borrow method.

It is? So you have teaching experience?
Please tell me your amazing method here, because I have college students who still don't get this.

Just yesterday, calculating how much time I had before I had to do something.

As for 42-29, I instantly see thirteen. I guess I imagine which number I need to add to 29. Which is how I would explain the inverse addition thing.

I do have teaching experience, hence my insistence that intuition can't be taught. Best thing is to present a few ways of doing something, let your students do it while they can come to you with questions, and if they're wrong try to present it another way. All the learning takes place not in the lecture or the problem set, but in the gears turning in the student's heads when they try to figure out how to do something.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

That just looks like regular old math to me. But then again I am basically retarded when it comes to math, I kept failing math as a kid so I as tested and turns out I don't process number correctly or something. But thank god we have calculators so no one actually has to do math ever.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
The expanded form is how i do math in my head so i can see that but holy poo poo our kids are hosed.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Lightanchor posted:

If I were in that school, I would have resented doing all those steps when I know in a split second that 15-7=8. Maybe that method is helpful for some students. Students should be taught a few ways and be allowed to do whichever is natural for them.

to be fair, that's part of common core- presenting multiple methods

unfortunately in practice teachers barely have the time to get through one method they're barely competent with themselves with little or no supplemental material because the school board got taken over by some homeschool association idiots and used car dealership owners, so they've zeroed out the textbook budget, and the school's funding is contingent on meeting race to the top testing benchmarks, so they've got to spend the rest of the semester working on that instead

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

comes along bort posted:

unfortunately in practice teachers barely have the time to get through one method they're barely competent with themselves with little or no supplemental material because the school board got taken over by some homeschool association idiots and used car dealership owners, so they've zeroed out the textbook budget, and the school's funding is contingent on meeting race to the top testing benchmarks, so they've got to spend the rest of the semester working on that instead

Yeah I remember in school our teachers would say here's one way to do it and go over at least another. They'd try to teach it differently than the books so we had the book's examples to go off of and theirs as well.

Reject
Nov 4, 2002

FogHelmut posted:

speaking as an adult, if this poo poo was invented by teachers, then no loving wonder. all the kids who grew up to be teachers were drat idiots who did it for the summer vacation. I'm glad that when I was in school I was in the AP classes so I didn't have to be around those remedial retards, and was able to get a good job in the private sector working 12 months a year 60 hours per week with poor health benefits and little 401k match. But I'll be loving damned if I cant calculate my poor compensation in my head, fuckers.

Haha you're right teachers went to remedial classes and probably didn't go get a post-graduate degree.

it's also pretty cool that you get poo poo benefit and work terrible hours. you showed them bro.

Reject
Nov 4, 2002

comes along bort posted:

as we're seeing in Florida, another issue is right wing legislatures giving into tea party babies and changing the standards to be some bastard hybrid of common core + their old poo poo standards.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

I have a math minor :smugmrgw:

suspicious donkey!
Jun 26, 2013
only read the first page please tell me if the thread is still full of people arguing about mathematics education w/o having any clue about it cause that shits hilarious

keroppl
Jan 4, 2013

vaucede posted:

only read the first page please tell me if the thread is still full of people arguing about mathematics education w/o having any clue about it cause that shits hilarious

I believe it's just a couple of education admins trying to justify their six figure salary while complaining they need more money for their schools.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
okay so i get how theyre doing the math with the 62 being equal to 60+2 but im lost as too why theyre doing it that way

Amniotic
Jan 23, 2008

Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.

forbidden lesbian posted:

okay so i get how theyre doing the math with the 62 being equal to 60+2 but im lost as too why theyre doing it that way

It's just breaking the digits into the numbers they represent. It's a pedagogical technique to teach carrying and number sense.

suspicious donkey!
Jun 26, 2013

keroppl posted:

I believe it's just a couple of education admins trying to justify their six figure salary while complaining they need more money for their schools.

ok thanks in that case lol forever @ that computer game question. modeling my points as a linear function to calculate my missing points, look at that real life application of mathematics math sure is a helpful tool to solve real problems :allears:

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED
as a good math doer, i've broken 62 into 60+2 mentally for addition/subtraction of large numbers since as long as i can remember, as it's way faster for me to do in my head

i also would have hated actually being taught it in school because what the gently caress why would you do that for 15-7

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

vaucede posted:

ok thanks in that case lol forever @ that computer game question. modeling my points as a linear function to calculate my missing points, look at that real life application of mathematics math sure is a helpful tool to solve real problems :allears:

Whenever you answer this question correctly on a test it gets uploaded to a cloud database where it stores your name as a potential future Xbox developer.

suspicious donkey!
Jun 26, 2013

smokyprogg posted:

as a good math doer, i've broken 62 into 60+2 mentally for addition/subtraction of large numbers since as long as i can remember, as it's way faster for me to do in my head

i also would have hated actually being taught it in school because what the gently caress why would you do that for 15-7

its 10-2 hth with your ability to quickly estimate the difference of two numbers

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Kids still think math is gay.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Getting kids to have "number sense" is a noble goal, but it's not something you explicitly teach, kids need to have basic building blocks first before they can then juggle those sorts of ideas and thoughts around.

It's the same thing with stupid reading strategies education theorists keep pushing. Theorists say stuff like "close reading", and "finding the tone" of a reading will lead to slow readers doing better, because those sorts of things are what good readers do intuitively. But "good" readers do that poo poo intuitively BECAUSE they can already read, and trying to get kids to do that stuff manually without the building blocks of being able to read well or the content knowledge of what they are reading about (a "lovely reader" who knows his poo poo about baseball will 9 times out of 10 do better on a reading about baseball than a "good reader" with no knowledge of baseball). It's putting the cart before the horse, and that's why kids in poverty are going to suffer even worse from this stuff than they already do.

Memorizing gets a bad wrap but it is a necessary building block in order to do other things in subjects. Can't loving critically think about the Constitution if you don't know who the founding fathers are or what the Revolutionary War was all about. A superintendent once spoke up about how kids don't need to memorize facts anymore (got google for that!), and then turned around and started crying that AP History test scores for the school are too fuckin' low. Duh, you bitch, kids can't "Close read" into answering a question that asks them to simply pull from their (non-existent) knowledge of a historical event, they need to KNOW (memorize) poo poo.

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 17:18 on May 26, 2014

Coffee Wolf
Oct 12, 2007

Mmmmm Banana

vaucede posted:

its 10-2 hth with your ability to quickly estimate the difference of two numbers

I don't want to estimate, I want to get it right dammit.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/estimate

^^^ posted:

A superintendent once spoke up about how kids don't need to memorize facts anymore (got google for that!)

....and then there was a brownout and no one could figure out the answer.

Coffee Wolf fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 26, 2014

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
Good, maybe this will lead to more deaths via hosed up suspension bridge.

Gulzin
Jan 3, 2004
A little gnome hasn't hurt anybody

gary oldmans diary posted:

i hope he has yet another appeal to authority on how teaching children why you carry is actually an insanely complicated thing for some reason only in america for some reason only with this most recent group of kids
in other words you are oblivious to the standards crash that occurred since 2000 and are supporting every single time i said you lack perspective on what youre talking about
Pushing you towards research and articles of mathematicians explaining why this is a good thing is not an appeal to authority any more than me posting climate research would be an appeal to authority when talking about global climate change. I am sorry if you don't agree with the science, but it is what it is.

Common Core isn't just some bullshit thing someone threw together. They even say on their website that it is based on recommendations from the National Center for Educational Statistics. Here is a Research Article that supports Common Core.

Now find me a research article that supports the pre-2000 curriculum.

icantfindaname posted:

???????

That's not how this works, you are the one who has to come up with evidence that they didn't work. I can imagine an education that's a whole lot loving worse, so clearly it's not completely broken. We don't have a crippling shortage of mathematicians, engineers, or accountants.

The only evidence for the claim that it's broken you've presented is "I, personally, disliked it". Like holy poo poo do you not see how saying "It's completely, totally, irredeemably broken, despite the fact that this isn't really self evident, and it's on you to prove otherwise"

It's not going to be perfect. Like I said, some people just won't like math. That's OK

I never said poverty was not a problem. But the failing education system isn't just poverty.

So please, tell me that we are doing great and this is all because of poverty.

Lightanchor posted:

Just yesterday, calculating how much time I had before I had to do something.

As for 42-29, I instantly see thirteen. I guess I imagine which number I need to add to 29. Which is how I would explain the inverse addition thing.

I do have teaching experience, hence my insistence that intuition can't be taught. Best thing is to present a few ways of doing something, let your students do it while they can come to you with questions, and if they're wrong try to present it another way. All the learning takes place not in the lecture or the problem set, but in the gears turning in the student's heads when they try to figure out how to do something.

You are completely right that intuition cannot be taught, but you can guide students toward it. You are also right that lectures are not where students learn, but that is a pedagogy, not curriculum. I am a big fan of flipping the classroom and I teach most of my upper division mathematics via inquiry based learning methods (usually using texts from https://www.jiblm.org ).

Even in those methods, the curriculum matters.

suspicious donkey!
Jun 26, 2013

Coffee Wolf posted:

I don't want to estimate, I want to get it right dammit.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/estimate

estimating is the more common and helpful use of mathematics in everyday life. it is also more complex than exact calculation because it is not a simple algorithm and requires understanding in the way numbers behave

listen i know yall are very proud of your ability to memorize arbitrary rules but maybe its time for everyone to move on and accept that this doesnt mean poo poo for understanding anything

Coffee Wolf
Oct 12, 2007

Mmmmm Banana
I use estimating every day except weekends and major holidays, but it's not for such small petty numbers. I concede the concept is fine, but maybe if they could be a bit more realistic, because I'm not estimating such a small number in real life, I'm bringing exactly what I need to fill the drat machine up without having to walk back out with extras.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Coffee Wolf posted:

I use estimating every day except weekends and major holidays, but it's not for such small petty numbers. I concede the concept is fine, but maybe if they could be a bit more realistic, because I'm not estimating such a small number in real life, I'm bringing exactly what I need to fill the drat machine up without having to walk back out with extras.
Examples are generally meant to be easy to follow, and it's often good to be able to work out the problem another way to confirm your answer. Starting with basic poo poo like 62-28 or whatever addresses both of those points.

suspicious donkey!
Jun 26, 2013
yeah okay i didnt really mean you should estimate small numbers, you just should train partitioning numbers into parts that fit and if you are a literal 7 year old you should train this with small numbers so you are able to do so with really big ones

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

forbidden lesbian posted:

Mental math scales way better with that method but it does look really stupid with numbers smaller than a hundred. 3583 x 21 is some underlined number carrying abomination with the old method, but the "new" way gives us a much more approachable 10749 x 7. Primes can be broken down into simpler operations that appeal to the person doing the math instead of relying on a rigid method that may only get to the answer after a few rounds of awkward triple-carrying addition and placeholding.

We were taught that way in fifth grade by a teacher who got tired of waiting for us to figure out the answers with the underline-multiply-add-and-carry method. This was the same public school that taught us our times tables by pasting them on the wall of the fourth grade classroom and telling all us second graders who had to walk past the drat thing every day on our way to recess, lunch and the buses not to pay any attention to it because it was too advanced for us, so maybe the place was just run by people who understood how to take a curriculum and turn it into things people would actually learn and retain.

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 18:23 on May 26, 2014

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Design Spots posted:

I once failed a math test in college by getting all the answers right and not showing any work.

college is just like high school, except you pay for it

I majored in mathematics and ended up taking a physics course that I only attented the tests for. I didn't know the formulas that we were supposed to memorize, but the test had graphs on it showing what was going on in the problems, so I used calculus to solve them. I failed the test because I didn't write down the formula I used :I

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Kaedric posted:

I majored in mathematics and ended up taking a physics course that I only attented the tests for. I didn't know the formulas that we were supposed to memorize, but the test had graphs on it showing what was going on in the problems, so I used calculus to solve them. I failed the test because I didn't write down the formula I used :I

thats cool bro you're so special and unique. don't have to do all that lovely "busy work" like "attend class" that everyone else has to do cause you're so smart and cool.

Telesphorus
Oct 28, 2013
I can't tell if people are going apeshit because this is too complicated or too simple.

but then I'm retarded, so who knows

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed
I'm retarded too but it looks like the proponents say it'll help kids understand numbers by giving them multiple avenues to solve problems they work on, thus giving them a more intuitive sense of what numbers and operations in basic algebra really 'are', and the people against either can't understand it or keep repeating that there's no substitute for doing math when no one said the kids would stop having to do any actual math work.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams
I once passed a math test because I drew a sweet picture of Goku on the paper back in the 8th grade

I am why America is dumb sorry everyone

CommonTerry
Dec 16, 2013

good is soda grape
It makes sense it's just a waste of effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Carol Pizzamom posted:

I'm retarded too but it looks like the proponents say it'll help kids understand numbers by giving them multiple avenues to solve problems they work on, thus giving them a more intuitive sense of what numbers and operations in basic algebra really 'are', and the people against either can't understand it or keep repeating that there's no substitute for doing math when no one said the kids would stop having to do any actual math work.
The problem is that realistically, few schools are actually going to have the resources to teach those multiple avenues. More than likely, understaffed schools with oversized classes are gonna choose the one at the top of the list and, well, we just can't deal with any student who understands better under the different methods that are outlined in the teaching guidelines that we're unable to cover.

• Locked thread