Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Schneider Heim posted:

Spent my entire Sunday playing DW8XL.

Having a maxed Throwing Knives pair (Man with Slash, Heaven with Jubilation), I gave them to Lu Bu and... his large size makes things a little harder to kill, I swear. I find I have the most success when I force a block and throw the last part of the string point-blank.

If your weapons have a single element, you're in no way maxed. Also why do you have those on Lu Bu? He's best with a Halberd. If it's too slow, make one with Velocity 10 and it'll chew through anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
They both have Cyclone, Flash, Induction, Explosive, and Velocity in common. It's in the last element that I vary them so I have a way to regen life without relying on items.

I'm still deciding on whose 4th weapons to make!

Time Serpent
Dec 22, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Shima Honnou posted:

Same, found 4XL in a Gamestop or whatever a long rear end time ago while I was in high school, gave it a try, fell in love, although I never really got any other actual DW games until 360 (5 Empires, 6/6 Empires, 7), I ended up going the SW route during the PS2 era; hence my avatar.

Still miss Xiahou Dun with the headband covering his eye instead of an eye-patch.

I started with 3, but I too miss the old Xiahou Dun. The older character designs felt a lot less ~anime~ and made certain characters (particularly Liu Bei) function more believably within the narrative.

As far as creepy bodyguard events go, here are a few I found noteworthy:

The Bodyguard, starring Cai Wenji & Yu Jin

Cuckolding Sima Yi

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I picked up DW8 Complete and it owns, thanks everyone. This wasn't really applicable with Warriors Orochi 3 but I started reading Romance of the Three Kingdoms. DW is much less exaggerated and sensationalized than I thought it was. :)

Samurai Sanders posted:

I wonder what dumb excuse for Orochi reappearing they will come up with for that one? 3's "It isn't Orochi, Orochi is dead for real this time, really! It's an avatar of destruction that just LOOKS like him" was dumb enough already.

One hour long live action FMV of Cao Cao waking up, getting ready to attend court like normal, then suddenly Orochi is there and the guy playing Cao Cao looks right at the camera and goes "Warriors Orochi 1 2 and 3.....JUST A DREAM?!" Cut to title screen and random heavy metal song.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 26, 2014

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002
I have some points expiring at Rakuten soon that I need to spend and I was thinking about picking up DW8 Complete since nothing else really interests me. I loved playing the series back on the PS2 but never touched any PS3/360 generation ones, but I do remember absolutely loving the series when I was younger.

Is the Playstation 4 version appreciably better than the one for Vita? I'd been debating which one to pick up.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So, I am starting the Shu hypothetical... And I can already see that it is going to be several levels of "Let's assassinate Lu Meng's character in order to make Guan Yu (even though he was being a douche) and the morally superior Shu look good :sigh: I suppose I should have expected this, but it is going to be pain.

VVV I just like him is all.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 10:01 on May 26, 2014

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Lu Meng has a character to assassinate?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Lu Meng certainly got better treatment here than in Three Kingdoms, where he was liked by no one.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I've a question about Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate, namely about save transfer from the regular version: I understand that the save from Orochi 3 can be linked to the Ultimate version - however, I have some questions:
1) Generally speaking, does such a transfer carries over everything (Bond levels, character levels, progression and unlocks etc.)?
2) Is there any word if linking a PS3 save with a PS4 version of Ultimate would work?
Generally, if I'm mistaken in thinking that saves transfer I'll just hold on playing the base version until the Ultimate lands, since there's a ton of content to unlock and I'd hate to do it twice, plus PS4'd would more impressive version. But if it does transfer fully, then I can start playing the base version in anticipation.

Thanks in advance!

Delerion
Sep 8, 2008

unf unf unf
So i played through the campaigns of dw8 pc version and started ambition mode, i'm enjoying it immensely, is there a similar mode on warriors orochi or is it worth getting dw7 empires for more of this?

Riding a bear as xu zhu and destroying everything is the best.

Edit:There's also a full japanese voice patch for dw8 pc, but im not sure if stuff like that can be linked? this also includes voices for camps and other stuff that's not in the english voice version.

Delerion fucked around with this message at 13:35 on May 26, 2014

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Tae posted:

Lu Meng certainly got better treatment here than in Three Kingdoms, where he was liked by no one.
Are you talking about the 2010 show, because that one gave him a bunch of notable time.

@Unlucky7: You can consider the novel to be mass character assassination, if that's any consolation... but even that one has Sun Quan give Guan Yu a 'fair shot' up until the remark on their kids, it's the folklore that brushes over what we considered to be 'Shu in the wrong' (the Jing situation).

Incidental note: the novel de-emphasized Guan Yu's personally dickery in favor of a concerted PR effort by Lu Meng as far as how Jing fell so easily.

Chortles fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 27, 2014

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Chortles posted:

Are you talking about the 2010 show, because that one gave him a bunch of notable time.

I meant after the Fan Castle incident when Wu poisoned him to death.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Man,I should have played closer attention to the bond dialog.

What happens if you have like Zhang Chunhua and Sima Zhao or Guan Yu and Guan Yinping or whatever? Does it still play or does it just wait until you complete a battle with someone else?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Guan Yu's ghost possessing Lu Meng, insulting Sun Quan by calling him a 'purple-bearded rat,' and then killing Lu Meng by 'vomiting blood from his seven orifices' is still a hella metal scene. Also raises Guan Yu to one of the three people in the novel to scare the crap out of others after they had died.

Also I just played through the Jin historical route and it really drives home the 'and then everything slowly descended into a pile of mediocrity and failure' of the last parts of the novel.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Guan Yu is amazing because he was already metal has hell for spending too chapters just riding around slowly killing arrogant officers but the blood vomit was supreme. Also "Indeed, that is why I am called 'The Man of the Beautiful Beard.'"

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I know its recommended in the OP, but would other people suggest getting Warriors Orochi 3? It looks like I can get the Wii U one for pretty cheap.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
The wii u version is a pretty good version of a good warriors game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ragnarok the Red posted:

I have some points expiring at Rakuten soon that I need to spend and I was thinking about picking up DW8 Complete since nothing else really interests me. I loved playing the series back on the PS2 but never touched any PS3/360 generation ones, but I do remember absolutely loving the series when I was younger.

Is the Playstation 4 version appreciably better than the one for Vita? I'd been debating which one to pick up.

They're pretty much exactly the same game, PS4 has better graphics, Vita has frame-rate issues, just depends if you want a portable version more or not.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

I picked up DW8 Complete and it owns, thanks everyone. This wasn't really applicable with Warriors Orochi 3 but I started reading Romance of the Three Kingdoms. DW is much less exaggerated and sensationalized than I thought it was. :)

It's less that and more that RotTK is also completely exaggerated and sensationalized.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
So the latest update off of Steam seems to have fixed the freezing issues for DW8, on my computer at least. Just got done doing about 5 stages in Ambition mode, saving every time of course, and no crashes yet.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I never have crashes whenever I put the game on Higher Priority, but I'll never learn why that makes it immune (because the times I've forgotten to do it, it definitely crashes a lot).

I'm hoping they put out actual patches like the Japanese DLC soon.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Tae posted:

I never have crashes whenever I put the game on Higher Priority, but I'll never learn why that makes it immune (because the times I've forgotten to do it, it definitely crashes a lot).

I'm hoping they put out actual patches like the Japanese DLC soon.

Right, I used to have to do that too, but since the update I launched the game normally and haven't messed with any settings (normal priority, all processors) and the game runs fine.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Whats this Three Kingdoms 2010 thing?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Have you heard of this new thing called Google?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Kingdoms_(TV_series)

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

THE MOON! posted:

Whats this Three Kingdoms 2010 thing?

A Chinese TV series that is extremely well made and available with subtitles on YouTube.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Nintendo of America talked about Hyrule Warriors some more.
  • Hyrule Field is the first stage of the game.
  • "Most" stages will bear a resemblance to Dynasty Warriors stages.
  • Characters and weapons are unlocked through story progression.
  • Rupees and "other useful items" are used to upgrade weapons and craft "badges" used to improve characters.
So I'm guessing they will stick those Pirate Warriors platforming stages in here but replace Luffy's stretchy arms with Hook Shot and there'll be some kind of amalgam of DW8 weapon crafting, and I'm guessing badges will be reskinned Ken's Rage 2 scrolls.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Policenaut posted:

Nintendo of America talked about Hyrule Warriors some more.
  • Hyrule Field is the first stage of the game.
  • "Most" stages will bear a resemblance to Dynasty Warriors stages.
  • Characters and weapons are unlocked through story progression.
  • Rupees and "other useful items" are used to upgrade weapons and craft "badges" used to improve characters.
So I'm guessing they will stick those Pirate Warriors platforming stages in here but replace Luffy's stretchy arms with Hook Shot and there'll be some kind of amalgam of DW8 weapon crafting, and I'm guessing badges will be reskinned Ken's Rage 2 scrolls.

I'm really hoping that them completely eliminating them in OPPW2 means that they have realized how awful they were and they won't bring that back.

gently caress anything that stops me from being able to play a Koei game after about 20 beers.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Policenaut posted:

So I'm guessing they will stick those Pirate Warriors platforming stages in here but replace Luffy's stretchy arms with Hook Shot...

Don't mean to be rude, and I understand it is speculation, but I am not sure where you are getting that from. The whole "Characters and weapons are unlocked through story progression" thing?

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 26, 2014

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Unlucky7 posted:

Don't mean to be rude, and I understand it is speculation, but I am not sure where you are getting that from. The whole "Characters and weapons are unlocked through story progression" thing?

Well, it's Omega Force on mercenary work again so I'm guessing they'll probably use a bunch of pre-existing mechanics from other games and slap a Zelda theme on them to make the game more "Zelda-y".

You can totally see it, can't you? It'll be something like Link is stuck at the bottom of Death Mountain and needs to go up to see the Gorons to get that Biggoron Sword upgrade but the evil witch has flooded parts of the trail with lava so Link has to use the Hook Shot to climb the mountain with it. Maybe you'll use the Gamepad to see spots you can use it on and hit QTEs when you're further up the mountain and things get "harder". Nintendo of America mentioning that not every stage will be a standard Dynasty Warriors affair hit a red flag in my head, like there's a lot you could do with the Zelda universe but I'm more inclined to believe that a company based around repeating the same basic formula for around 2 decades is going to recycle some things.

Maybe TK will rip off Sengoku BASARA and have some Epona racing stages? That'd be cool, I liked those in SB3.

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 26, 2014

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Policenaut posted:

Well, it's Omega Force on mercenary work again so I'm guessing they'll probably use a bunch of pre-existing mechanics from other games and slap a Zelda theme on them to make the game more "Zelda-y".

You can totally see it, can't you? It'll be something like Link is stuck at the bottom of Death Mountain and needs to go up to see the Gorons to get that Biggoron Sword upgrade but the evil witch has flooded parts of the trail with lava so Link has to use the Hook Shot to climb the mountain with it. Maybe you'll use the Gamepad to see spots you can use it on and hit QTEs when you're further up the mountain and things get "harder". Nintendo of America mentioning that not every stage will be a standard Dynasty Warriors affair hit a red flag in my head, like there's a lot you could do with the Zelda universe but I'm more inclined to believe that a company based around repeating the same basic formula for around 2 decades is going to recycle some things.

Maybe TK will rip off Sengoku BASARA and have some Epona racing stages? That'd be cool, I liked those in SB3.

Now you put it like that, yeah I can see it.

But it is also Nintendo, and they have been known to crack the bull whip when it comes to third parties developing their games. And this is freaking Zelda, not a sequel or remake of a lesser series. I would think they would have an interest in this being at least decent.

Quick, someone post an image of the CD-I Zelda games!

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 27, 2014

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

Also I just played through the Jin historical route and it really drives home the 'and then everything slowly descended into a pile of mediocrity and failure' of the last parts of the novel.
And now you know why DW7 was not only one of the first times that Koei did anything after Wuzhang Plains, besides a ROTK scenario-start or two, but DW is basically the only "pop culture" adaptation (besides said ROTK installments) to do anything after Wuzhang Plains at all.

Ironically, the very same "everything slowly descended into a pile of mediocrity and failure" is why I find the Jin story mode a perfunctory slog.

Neo Rasa posted:

Guan Yu is amazing because he was already metal has hell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRf-ZoDQUfc

Bonus: This is the immediate aftermath of Lu Bu seeing Chen Gong taken captive by defectors after the flood attack at Xiapi:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VepXN0_usEs
(I'm of the impression that the dialogue is right out of the manga, if you're wondering who's to blame for it.)

For anyone not in the know but who do know several anime, that's the Japanese voice of Light Yagami, Tamaki, and Ling Yao as Cao Cao, plus the Japanese voice of Ezio Auditore, Mitsunari (SB version), the Tekken 4-onward Yoshimitsu, and freakin' Domon Kasshu... as Liu Bei.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Unlucky7 posted:

Now you put it like that, yeah I can see it.

But it is also Nintendo, and they have been known to crack the bull whip when it comes to third parties developing their games. And this is freaking Zelda, not a sequel or remake of a lesser series. I would think they would have an interest in this being at least decent.

Quick, someone post an image of the CD-I Zelda games!

The CD-i games were made without Nintendo's involvement though so it doesn't count!

But yeah hopefully Nintendo will be adamant about this game being good and we won't get Water 7 v2.0.

Chortles posted:

Ironically, the very same "everything slowly descended into a pile of mediocrity and failure" is why I find the Jin story mode a perfunctory slog.

I found Jin boring in DW7 because it was all pretty much "Hey these guys are rebelling. Hey now these other guys are rebelling. Oh Shu's at it again. Guess what now? More rebels!" It didn't help that all the rebels were generic NPCs so it felt really same-y.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

I liked the sort of desperate mania of Jiang Wei's increasingly feeble attempts to do the same thing over and over with no success. His shouting, frantic voice acting ends up working really well with it, and by the time of the 7th Northern Campaign, I can imagine Shu's officer corps in Chengdu being starving, scarred, shellshocked and mostly insane, thoughtlessly following the prophet Jiang Wei and their idol replacement for Liu Bei, Liu Shan, who can give them no answers but religiously repeating Zhuge Liang's last efforts until they're ground into meat against Wei's borders.

Other than that, I didn't really care for Jin's campaign though.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Probably why they went into more internal strifes for DW8's Jin campaign, at least in the hypothetical when it's basically the Zhong Hei rebellion.

The generic NPC faces also let off a lot of what would make Jin more exciting, but no foe that's already in DW8 have much of a face before being assassinated by their own people or something.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Jin's campaign is incredible whenever it deals with the Sima family's antics. Every member of that family is just so wonderful and DW7's campaign turned me into a true Jin believer, because god drat after DW7 Shu I was so happy to see a faction beating the everloving poo poo out of them day in day out.

Everyone in Jin looks like they stepped out of the future. They're all so weird and out there, carrying weapons which most other factions never have and playing so differently. The cast size is smaller so they make up for it by giving everyone more unique stuff and I think Jin's better for it. At some point I stopped caring that Shu's involvement in Jin was the equivalent to a Monster of the Week anime because it usually meant I would get to wreck people with a new, fun character. I seriously thought everyone in Jin was fun as hell to play as and I'm hurrying to RMA my PS4 so I can pick up DW8XLCE soon.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I love the Hypothetical stage where Sima Yi and Zhang Chunhua go out of retirement to put down Zhong Hui's rebellion. The dialogue is amazing.

I really like Wen Yang's officer defeated quote, too. ("Are there no heroes left in this land?")

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Schneider Heim posted:

I love the Hypothetical stage where Sima Yi and Zhang Chunhua go out of retirement to put down Zhong Hui's rebellion. The dialogue is amazing.

I really like Wen Yang's officer defeated quote, too. ("Are there no heroes left in this land?")

Considering that by the time Wen Yang is rolling around every "Heroic" figure is long dead, it really adds to the feeling of "Times are changing".

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I've been playing 8XL on Steam is there a good source of information, I can't find a decent wiki for this. Like what does leadership levels actually do

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

socialsecurity posted:

I've been playing 8XL on Steam is there a good source of information, I can't find a decent wiki for this. Like what does leadership levels actually do

Leadership levels increase the total allowed Fee of your bodyguards. At leadership 99, you can have any three characters as bodyguards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Policenaut posted:

Everyone in Jin looks like they stepped out of the future. They're all so weird and out there, carrying weapons which most other factions never have and playing so differently.

My personal fan theory is the reason Guo Huai has a loving machine gun/cannon in the times of ancient China is that Warriors Orochi is canon to the Dynasty Warriors games and the people of the future gave him that technology, and he kept it when they were all returned to their original times.

quote:

The cast size is smaller so they make up for it by giving everyone more unique stuff

I guess you're talking about 8, I can only speak to 7 and Warriors Orochi 3 where the only ones that really had unique weapons were Zhong Hui, Deng Ai, and Guo Huai.

And now that I think about it, it still didn't make any sense to remove Zuo Ci from 7 for purposes of "realism" when Zhong Hui has actual flying swords. Like they don't even make any attempt to explain it away, he just has swords he psychically controls or something.