Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Stefan Prodan posted:

The only orange vest I could think of is Back to the Future

Arino must go back in time and woo everyone at prom by beating Pitfall 2600 on stage so his dad can get furiously laid and not lose out to Abe from back in his Yakuza days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kakaricho posted:

"In the next episode, a hero appears..?"

Thought/speculation?

That's got to be a direct reference to something. Some advertisement, most likely.

So I'm going to go completely crazy and say he's playing Sunsoft's Batman.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

My Lovely Horse posted:

Looks like Terry Bogard. I really enjoyed the fighting game episodes, too.

Oh man it does although Terry's hat isn't solid red

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Kakaricho posted:

The next challenge is against a Famicom murder-mystery adventure game called "殺意の階層 ソフトハウス連続殺人事件" or "Layers of Intent to Kill: Serial Murderer Incident at a Software Company". It was made by HAL Laboratory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O4KuHc5mU0

(Better translation of the title pending me waking up a bit more.)

Can we get that improved translation?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

You guys do realize the costume is from the episode, not the hint, right?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
It was presented in a pretty confusing way :shobon:

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Random Stranger posted:

This is an amazing cover.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

What? I just said Arino went back in time (and apparently posed for that cover because holy poo poo).

Mister Chief posted:

The translation is accurate, just very literal. A proper translation (like if they actually released this game in English) would probably just go with a completely new name.

univbee fucked around with this message at 17:49 on May 22, 2014

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Mister Chief posted:

You get me a decent night of sleep and we're on. Otherwise, wait for a release.

And now I go back to waiting for a Skype call from...

I need to find some paperwork now.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
"Hierarchy of Murderous Intent: The Software House Serial Murders"?

Assuming the 階層 is meant to be a reference to the hierarchical structure in software.

ETA VVVVVV: Looks like a one-shot, yeah.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 22, 2014

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Is that one game in a series?

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Mister Chief posted:

Is that one game in a series?

It's HAL's only 'Detective Murder Adventure' game, which is mindblowing considering how many were on the market at the time.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Wish we would've gotten more of those in the west as well, I really like those types of games. Been playing through Snatcher recently but I hear it sold pretty poorly back in the day.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I had no clue there were so many detective games on the Famicom that never left Japan. I think we only got the two Deja Vu games and Princess Tomato in America.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Broseph Brostar posted:

I had no clue there were so many detective games on the Famicom that never left Japan. I think we only got the two Deja Vu games and Princess Tomato in America.

Localization on them would have been nightmarish. Even beyond the usual "I don't see why we should code our text modularly. Why would anyone ever need to change it out?" attitudes that Japanese developers tend to have, any mystery would have to be effectively rewritten for a western audience. It's doable, but why put that much effort into a tough game to sell.

The odd one here is Murder on the Mississippi which was an American Commodore 64 game ported to the Famicom but we never saw a NES version.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Localization on them would have been nightmarish. Even beyond the usual "I don't see why we should code our text modularly. Why would anyone ever need to change it out?" attitudes that Japanese developers tend to have, any mystery would have to be effectively rewritten for a western audience. It's doable, but why put that much effort into a tough game to sell.
There's also NoA's family-friendly guidelines that were active at the time, so stuff like the cigarettes as a clue in Detective Saburou Jinguuji or the drinking in Oishinbo would have to be changed to something that's probably a lot cornier.

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004

Broseph Brostar posted:

Shadowgate, Deja Vu AND Uninvited! (and Princess Tomato)

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

The Kins posted:

There's also NoA's family-friendly guidelines that were active at the time, so stuff like the cigarettes as a clue in Detective Saburou Jinguuji or the drinking in Oishinbo would have to be changed to something that's probably a lot cornier.

Oh and you know, the murders.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

SmockJoc posted:

Shadowgate, Deja Vu AND Uninvited!

All originally in English. Shadowgate is infamous in Japan for its terrible translation!

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

SmockJoc posted:

Shadowgate, Deja Vu AND Uninvited! (and Princess Tomato)

I knew I was forgetting one of them, and I had no clue Uninvited was ported to the NES.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Shadowgate came out on the Japanese Virtual Console recently, so I took a look at the Miiverse page just to see what people were saying about it, and while my Japanese is too limited to really make out specifics I could definitely tell people were amused and/or confused by it. For some strange reason they rewrote most of the narration in first-person, so it sounds like the player character is rambling to himself the entire time and generally acting like a huge dork.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Abe dress as Guile in the Budokan DVD special features, I'm definitely getting this.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

8-bit Miniboss posted:

The president of the company you work for has been found sleeping face down in a river! Oh, now his son fell asleep in the stock-room, right underneath where we store all the ketchup and now he's sleeping and covered with ketchup!

His wife was the... person making them sleep in inappropriate places.

That's the ticket.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I'm still amazed we got notHitler's exploding head.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

DVD and Blu-Ray of the movie will be released on September 2nd.

http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20140523_649703.html

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Mister Chief posted:

Let me try: MURDERVELOPER.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

I know it's been said time and time again, but goddamn, if you like this show then the Retro Game Master DVD is just a blast. I've been trying to go through it slowly but have been binge-watching for the last few days. Halfway through the Wing of Madoola episode and it is just hilarious. Lots of fun interaction. Crossing my fingers for another official translated release!

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Bolverkur posted:

I know it's been said time and time again, but goddamn, if you like this show then the Retro Game Master DVD is just a blast. I've been trying to go through it slowly but have been binge-watching for the last few days. Halfway through the Wing of Madoola episode and it is just hilarious. Lots of fun interaction. Crossing my fingers for another official translated release!

That's one of my favorite episodes. Those phone calls to Sunsoft and Kibe are great, and you can't go wrong with Nakayama as AD.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Today is former AD Sasano's birthday.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

BiggerJ posted:

Let me try: MURDERVELOPER.

C:\Murder.exe in a scary font on a bloody floppy.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
So in the latest news, it appears that everything is done. They are doing the last run throughs. It may possible that we'll see a patch in the next week.

Have a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmGF6JYVJU8

I can't waiiiiitttt!

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

RadicalR posted:

So in the latest news, it appears that everything is done. They are doing the last run throughs. It may possible that we'll see a patch in the next week.

Have a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmGF6JYVJU8

I can't waiiiiitttt!
I really didn't expect them to go as far as to change the magazine screenshots to the English versions of the games. To say I'm impressed would be an absolute understatement. This is looking great and it's awesome that it looks like it'll be out really soon. :)

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Obeast posted:

I really didn't expect them to go as far as to change the magazine screenshots to the English versions of the games. To say I'm impressed would be an absolute understatement. This is looking great and it's awesome that it looks like it'll be out really soon. :)

The guy at the helm it is an absolute perfectionist; in the thread he talks about finding and removing the character 体 (body), which acts as a counter for how many monsters you've killed in the RPG ("Monsters killed: 241体"). Counters are mandatory in Japanese but redundant in English so he tried to get rid of it, which was a bit of an issue since the character apparently wasnt linked to the regular kanji memory addresses. It's absolutely inconsequential for the game but instead of ignoring it, he was going to manually draw a black box on top of it in the menu screen to make it disappear before he found the memory address where the character is located and was able to remove it properly. I would have just let it sit there. :shobon:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That's generally a good thing. A lot of 'eh, good enough" stuff can spiral and make the overall product a lot worse. It's why a lot of the best fan translations are borderline identical to official products.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"

Katana Gomai posted:

The guy at the helm it is an absolute perfectionist; in the thread he talks about finding and removing the character 体 (body), which acts as a counter for how many monsters you've killed in the RPG ("Monsters killed: 241体"). Counters are mandatory in Japanese but redundant in English so he tried to get rid of it, which was a bit of an issue since the character apparently wasnt linked to the regular kanji memory addresses. It's absolutely inconsequential for the game but instead of ignoring it, he was going to manually draw a black box on top of it in the menu screen to make it disappear before he found the memory address where the character is located and was able to remove it properly. I would have just let it sit there. :shobon:

That number doesn't have anything to do with the number of monsters killed, it's there to show how many monsters of that type are present in battle. Which, I suppose, is much more noticeable than a counter for a total number of kills which probably would only be visible in a specific menu or via some specific NPC that lets you view your stats.

The only sad thing is that like I stated earlier, there's no easy way to subtitle any of young Arino's comments, which is a bit more of an issue than I initially thought since as shown on that video, there's over 8 times as many of them when compared to the first game. Maybe it can be addressed in some way later but it would've been nice to be able to understand the stuff he says.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Just assume that he's stating that he's got it stuck in a pattern.

I wonder if young Arino used to drop his controller too early when he thought he already won.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
Nah, there's at least 2 games where you can play with or against him and he tends to be at least moderately competent.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I meant when he was actually a kid, not on the video game.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

AnotherGamer posted:

That number doesn't have anything to do with the number of monsters killed, it's there to show how many monsters of that type are present in battle. Which, I suppose, is much more noticeable than a counter for a total number of kills which probably would only be visible in a specific menu or via some specific NPC that lets you view your stats.

I'm sorry I remembered it wrongly, but my point was that I admire the dedication and attention to detail. The counter is still ultimately inconsequential, even if it does show up in every battle screen, yet he went through the effort of figuring it out; that's a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

Kakaricho posted:

DVD and Blu-Ray of the movie will be released on September 2nd.

http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20140523_649703.html
Keeping my fingers crossed for some English subtitles :)