Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kangra
May 7, 2012

The 'and' credit .... e: beaten

No idea how Anna Paquin got to be listed above Ellen Page, though.

Speaking of casting, I noticed that the guy who played the President is Mark Camacho.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 18:15 on May 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Electromax posted:

http://www.denofgeek.us/movies/x-men-days-of-future-past/235915/hugh-jackman-clarifies-his-wolverine-plans

At least here the suggestion seems to be that Jackman's in for Apocalypse and Wolverine 2 rather than just one film, but it's hard to tell if that isn't just DoG's speculation based on his quote.

He also jokes about Old Man Logan which would be :allears:

Hugh Jackman in Old Man Logan (even a Fox version with only mutants) would be pretty much perfect so thats not going to happen.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Slim Killington posted:

https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/video/michael-fassbender-ian-mckellen-interview-175420801.html

I could care less about the sophomoric questions but McKellen and Fassbender interviewing each other is wonderful.

"And then Hugh Jackman's agent got us all sacked." :allears:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Kangra posted:

The 'and' credit is actually significantly more valuable then being stuck in the middle. It's usually reserved for someone that doesn't have a major role, but is a pretty big name.

No idea how Anna Paquin got to be listed above Ellen Page, though.

Speaking of casting, I noticed that the guy who played the President is Mark Camacho.

Tell me more about casting etiquette, this poo poo sounds genuinely interesting. Do people get pissed about their names being after other people and poo poo?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

MrFlibble posted:

Hugh Jackman in Old Man Logan (even a Fox version with only mutants) would be pretty much perfect so thats not going to happen.

How does Old Man Logan work without being able to use the Hulk? Logan lives in "Hulkland."

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Slim Killington posted:

https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/video/michael-fassbender-ian-mckellen-interview-175420801.html

I could care less about the sophomoric questions but McKellen and Fassbender interviewing each other is wonderful.

Did you feel slightly stupid when you first put on the helmet?

OF COURSE

:allears:

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I'm no expert, and I'm sure there's somewhere that explains it, but movie credits (at least in Hollywood) often have a rich and complicated backstory. People often do negotiate for billing when deciding to take a role, or at least their agents do. In truth, it may be that Paquin only agreed to be on-screen if she was positioned where she was.

There are also complicated tales of all the crew credits as well. For instance, in screenwriting credits 'by', 'based on', and 'and' all have particular importance and established rules. Even the length of modern credits can be attributed to the history of the unions/guilds that are in the industry all wanting to have their participation made known.

On this movie in particular, it also had text at the very end mentioning something like "15000 people got jobs because of this movie". I hadn't seen that before; it seemed like either a vague anti-piracy message or just "what's good for Fox is good for America Canada" sentiment.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain

AnonSpore posted:

Tell me more about casting etiquette, this poo poo sounds genuinely interesting. Do people get pissed about their names being after other people and poo poo?

Wars have been fought over less.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Kangra posted:

On this movie in particular, it also had text at the very end mentioning something like "15000 people got jobs because of this movie". I hadn't seen that before; it seemed like either a vague anti-piracy message or just "what's good for Fox is good for America Canada" sentiment.

The same message was on at the end of The Wolverine, last year.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

AnonSpore posted:

It's all a part of contract negotiations. That's why you'll often see movie posters where the names don't match up to the actors pictures that they are over. Picture placement and name placement on posters are usually separate parts of the deal.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Man, the scene with Xavier getting overwhelmed by Cerebro made me think of Gamesmaster. And then the scene with Maggie chucking Logan 10 miles to his death made me think of Fabien Cortez.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Spacebump posted:

How does Old Man Logan work without being able to use the Hulk? Logan lives in "Hulkland."

This is one thing that Fox and Disney need to put their arms down and make happen. Wolverine VS Hulk would be a billion dollar movie all on it's own. This is the comic film every fanboy wants to see. Imagine them making a movie poster that's a live action image of Hulk 181. I know Jackman has said he wants to do it and Ruffalo recently made some remarks about how he wouldn't pass up the chance.

Please Fox and Disney, PLEASE. Figure this out.

TehPolecat
May 14, 2014
So where did this whole time travel thing come from, was it in the x-men comics before is it just something they came up with just for the movie?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

It was in funnily enough the Days of Future Past arc. Very similar setup, although it was Shadowcat doing the jumping around herself instead of using a middleman.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TehPolecat posted:

So where did this whole time travel thing come from, was it in the x-men comics before is it just something they came up with just for the movie?

Days of Future Past is one of the most famous X-Men stories of all time. While altered, the films plot is based very heavily off the comics. In the comics it's Kitty that goes back though.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Kangra posted:

This loving owns and is probably going over a lot of peoples heads.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

halwain posted:

Maybe they will use Wolverine/Hugh Jackman as one of the 4 riders?
They can always explain it with some random power apocalypse gets in the movie.

This has happened in the comic - Apoc made him the horseman Death, it was how he got his Adamantium back after Magneto yanked it out.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

The cool part was Sabretooth was the other option, so Pooky (of course) put them in a fight over it. Logan won.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DeathChicken posted:

The cool part was Sabretooth was the other option, so Pooky (of course) put them in a fight over it. Logan won.

Sabretooth already had the metal, Wolverine whupped his bitch rear end with bone claws.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Spacebump posted:

You know there is no way a hollywood blockbuster would feature a hillbilly gang of inbred hulks, don't be disingenuous. Old Man Logan is basically a road trip through a goofy post superhero-apocalypse and you can do a ton of things with that, even when you're limited to just the Mutants (I think thats all Fox has? or would any Fantastic Four stuff fit in there as well?).

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Well it would need the Fantastic Four-mobile, in addition to the Spider-Mobile. Making Old Man Logan true to the books is probably not a great idea, it's an incredibly stupid story.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I just read the description of Old Man Logan on Wikipedia and it just sounds like the most Mark Millar thing ever. Jesus.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Phylodox posted:

I just read the description of Old Man Logan on Wikipedia and it just sounds like the most Mark Millar thing ever. Jesus.

"Wikipedia article on Old Man Logan posted:

Logan recuperates within Banner's stomach

Huh. Sounds fun.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Phylodox posted:

It's probably his best work. I know that's not saying much but it's a much better story than most of his output.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Rhyno posted:

It's probably his best work. I know that's not saying much but it's a much better story than most of his output.

"Not saying much" is such a profound understatement.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

berserker posted:

Yeah basically he curves the bullet to try and keep it from hitting JFK but is unsuccessful because he is attacked and captured during his attempt.

Well fine I guess that makes the most sense.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Phylodox posted:

"Not saying much" is such a profound understatement.

I'm trying to be nice!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Rhyno posted:

I'm trying to be nice!

I think maybe Mark Millar is what would have happened if the trends of the 90s had continued on their trajectory uninterrupted. Just...stupid levels of offensiveness in the name of being "edgy" and "adult".

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
But why decide that making it curve ever-so-slightfully out of the way is the best course of action? Make it just entirely go into the ground 10 yards away, it's not like the shooter or anyone else would ever be able to tell the difference. There are a thousand ways to do it better than that. Hell, he could've rendered the firing mechanism in Oswald's rifle defunct. He could have done literally anything else to stop it, but he chose the action that would get someone killed if there were just a slight error.

Magneto is lying straight to Xavier's face about it because he knows he can finally lie to him for once.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Slim Killington posted:

But why decide that making it curve ever-so-slightfully out of the way is the best course of action? Make it just entirely go into the ground 10 yards away, it's not like the shooter or anyone else would ever be able to tell the difference. There are a thousand ways to do it better than that. Hell, he could've rendered the firing mechanism in Oswald's rifle defunct. He could have done literally anything else to stop it, but he chose the action that would get someone killed if there were just a slight error.

Magneto is lying straight to Xavier's face about it because he knows he can finally lie to him for once.

Maybe in the instant between it flying straight and it turning 90 degrees to fly into the ground, someone tackled Erik and he lose his concentration.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Huh. Sounds fun.

And of course, you know what comes next.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

In hindsight it's pretty funny that even with the history rewrite, no one *really* knows who the hell killed JFK.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

DeathChicken posted:

In hindsight it's pretty funny that even with the history rewrite, no one *really* knows who the hell killed JFK.

Mystique killed JFK

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

That really undermines the fact that a character who can and does read her mind laments Trask being the first time she ever killed

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Also why would she kill another mutant? And if he wasn't a mutant, why would Magneto care if she killed him?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Everybody seemed to have a conflicting story on it, which again is really pretty funny.

Reo
Apr 11, 2003

That'll do, Carlos.
That'll do.

When Eric listed off his fallen brothers during the plane argument, who all did he list? I heard Angel, Azazel, and Banshee.

Buddington
Feb 20, 2010

Slim Killington posted:

A quote from Simon Kinberg, the guy who wrote the movie: "Personally, I just really like the idea of explaining the curving [i.e. 'magic'] bullet with a character that can move metal," said Kinberg with a chuckle. "And then, as that subplot fleshed out, it seemed more interesting that in fact Erik hadn't killed JFK, but had been trying to stop it. And that was the explanation for a bullet that curves. And from there, the question was, Why would he try to stop it? Why would he try to save JFK? And then it just seemed interesting if the answer was, JFK was a mutant. Given the mystery of his life and the power of that family and the mysterious deaths in that family, it just, it didn't seem totally outrageous that in a world of mutants, he may have been one."

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
But if he did in fact end up curving the bullet, why did JFK die anyway? What, he curved it all the way around in a circle?

Reo posted:

When Eric listed off his fallen brothers during the plane argument, who all did he list? I heard Angel, Azazel, and Banshee.
And Emma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

You know the idea that Magneto was full of poo poo about trying to save JFK was not something that occurred to me on the initial viewing, but the more I think about it the more I like it. It fits with the movie's overall portrayal of Young Magneto as a two-faced rear end in a top hat.

• Locked thread