Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

Joe Gillian posted:

I had one other guard toss it away, and another guard said something along the lines of him having reflexes like a cat. This game isn't amazing or even really great in the slightest, but I really do enjoy some of the ways you can gently caress with people.

When that happened to me, the guy shouted "Oh my god... Tell my wife!.. Tell my Wife... I hosed her sister!"

Then he threw the grenade away and was totally fine. That must have been awkward.

Really the only part about the game I totally hate is the music system. I can see what they were going for, but they should have had A: a lot more music, and B: Pre-organised playlists in the vein of other games radio stations. But those can be modded in.

Also, is there any point in getting the deluxe edition if I'm gonna buy the season pass? As far as I can tell getting the season pass and the base game will get me pretty much everything, except an outfit recolour and some gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

ethanol posted:

give it a rest, this is standard marketing practice for developers

People should never stop questioning these kinds of marketing practices. A lot of people doing the same thing doesn't make it any less lovely.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
At night, in the rain, the game looks pretty drat good.

During the day, in the dry it looks pretty average.

Horrorosaurus
Oct 22, 2010

ethanol posted:

give it a rest, this is standard marketing practice for developers

The difference is pretty hard to ignore, it isn't standard. Anyway, my intention wasn't to cause a poo poo storm I just haven't been paying close attention and looking at the gameplay videos wondered why I cared about this game last fall and then re-watched the E3(?) video and that's that.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Orv posted:

You're an idiot.

Heaven forbid a game look like what the developer demoed 2 years ago.

I'm glad you are here to stick up for a mult million dollar company's business practices.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?
Friend of mine says the profile thing sucks cause there are way more options to hack the innocent than the actual morally questionable people they stand next to.

Is this true? It's petty I know. But it just sounds like such a stupid and poo poo gimmick when your choice of robbing others is less who you can rob and more should/shouldn't I cause they don't deserve it.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Lead Psychiatry posted:

Friend of mine says the profile thing sucks cause there are way more options to hack the innocent than the actual morally questionable people they stand next to.

Is this true? It's petty I know. But it just sounds like such a stupid and poo poo gimmick when your choice of robbing others is less who you can rob and more should/shouldn't I cause they don't deserve it.

It's true. There's no tie to the morality system for the hacks, it's just whether you personally think it's ok to steal that persons $200 and can live with the guilt of loving over some digital cancer patient or whatever the game assigns them. The entire premise of the game is flawed in the same way. You got caught robbing people and as a consequence of your actions your niece died, so you go out and continue robbing people despite the fact your sister and nephew could still be targetted whilst on your quest for revenge because.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 26, 2014

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Pretty sure 99% of games I've seen previews for look a lot better than the actual game I get my hands on. That's kinda an industry standard thing to do- preview it on some super computer or selectively editted demo.

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

Is there an aussie VPN I can use to get this poo poo up and running early? I'm on uplay with the nvidia code.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Lead Psychiatry posted:

yeah, meanwhile the plot is always awkwardly trying to convince us we're not sociopath rear end in a top hat murderers.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Lead Psychiatry posted:

The profile stuff is basically random, you have maybe 3/4 people in a block who you can siphon cash from, get crime info from (prevent crimes, criminal convoys, etc), listen in on their phone calls/texts, or get crafting items from. Just think "Hey, free money!" because that's basically what it is. You won't really ever run out of cash by just walking a couple of blocks.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Pretty sure 99% of games I've seen previews for look a lot better than the actual game I get my hands on. That's kinda an industry standard thing to do- preview it on some super computer.

Thats why i said as long as it looks like that on a high end pc. I dont expect the console versions to look like the e3 2012 demo. But the pc versions should.

I also have no problem with cgi videos cause they are always obviously cgi.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bobtista posted:

It's true. There's no tie to the morality system for the hacks, it's just whether you personally think it's ok to steal that persons $200 and can live with the guilt of loving over some digital cancer patient or whatever the game assigns them. The entire premise of the game is flawed in the same way. You got caught robbing people and as a consequence of your actions your niece died, so you go out and continue robbing people despite the fact your sister and nephew could still be targetted whilst on your quest for revenge because.

Well it's not like you have another niece to lose.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Don Lapre posted:

Heaven forbid a game look like what the developer demoed 2 years ago.

I'm glad you are here to stick up for a mult million dollar company's business practices.

I don't intend to stick up for them but I also don't want a repeat of the Dark Souls 2 thread where it was four weeks of "I FEEL BETRAYED AND LIED TO BECAUSE I DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW GAME DEVELOPMENT WORKS".

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ethanol posted:

yeah, meanwhile the plot is always awkwardly trying to convince us we're not sociopath rear end in a top hat murderers.

so it's Sleeping Dogs in Chicago

Orv
May 4, 2011

ayn rand hand job posted:

You go from humanizing Aiden with a visit to his sisters one mission, to assisting a homicide the next and giving basically no fucks.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"
With Steam pre-load up does that mean it will unlock 12:01am EST in NA ?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Orv posted:

You go from humanizing Aiden with a visit to his sisters one mission, to assisting a homicide the next and giving basically no fucks.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Dvlos posted:

With Steam pre-load up does that mean it will unlock 12:01am EST in NA ?

Its set to unlock as soon as you fall asleep tonight.

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

It's actually more dumb if you can believe that.

But gently caress the plot it's a sandbox game, the actual gameplay parts are fun enough to make up for it to me. A lot like Sleeping Dogs that way.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Only an idiot would think that footage of a game two years away from completion is indicative of the final product.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

That loving Sned posted:

Only an idiot would think that footage of a game two years away from completion is indicative of the final product.

A trailer sure, but e3 2012 was apparently a live demo.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Anyone know when GMG is releasing their keys for the game? I saw Steam broke it early for Australia.
And I'm from Australia but waiting on GMG.
Then I have to download it via Australian internet :eng99:

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!

Horrorosaurus posted:

The difference is pretty hard to ignore, it isn't standard. Anyway, my intention wasn't to cause a poo poo storm I just haven't been paying close attention and looking at the gameplay videos wondered why I cared about this game last fall and then re-watched the E3(?) video and that's that.

I know penny-arcade is generally lovely, but this comic is from 2005 and is exactly about how it's standard practice: http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2005/09/12/

Brumaldo
Jun 29, 2013

That loving Sned posted:

Yes. One would expect the game to actually improve as the development goes along.

Not in today's industry apparently!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I don't give a tremendous gently caress about graphics, my question is how much fun it is to gently caress with people, because that's the only reason this game ever looked appealing.

So, how much fun is it to gently caress with people?

Hurry up GMG :argh:

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

We should all get together and sue them like people did over the call of duty 2 tv spot years ago.

Or just don't buy it and move on with your lives.

Horrorosaurus
Oct 22, 2010

Don Lapre posted:

This was kind of my point too, they presented it as live gameplay and not just screenshots, it's lying in my book. Maybe I don't look at hype stuff so often so it might well be this is common practice and if that is true, could one of you maybe link to another example where a hype gameplay video versus the actual product had this big a gap between them graphically, in favor of the hype video?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

ambushsabre posted:

I know penny-arcade is generally lovely, but this comic is from 2005 and is exactly about how it's standard practice: http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2005/09/12/

Things aren't going to change until we have a videogame crash like back in 1984. We're so far away and it's still way too profitable so expect this to be standard practice up to the point where we literally can't tell the difference and they will still make some promotional material to attempt to make it look even better and it will fail to deliver.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Don Lapre posted:

Yeah and E3 demos are typically even higher grade bullshit than almost anything else.

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!

Horrorosaurus posted:

This was kind of my point too, they presented it as live gameplay and not just screenshots, it's lying in my book. Maybe I don't look at hype stuff so often so it might well be this is common practice and if that is true, could one of you maybe link to another example where a hype gameplay video versus the actual product had this big a gap between them graphically, in favor of the hype video?

As stated 3 times above you, Dark Souls 2.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
The thing that impressed me most about the original trailer was the implications that missions had multiple methods of completion, more than just the "ghost vs. shoot everybody" like Deus Ex HR. In the thing they showed off it seemed like you could wait for the guy to arrive at the club and confront him there, or you could do what the demo guy did and go out into the street and cause a major traffic accident.

So my question is, how well does the game do that, because those expectations are way more important to me than graphics.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Horrorosaurus posted:

It happened in Aliens: Colonial Marines. Esteemed company, IMO.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Gamesguy posted:

For people who bought it on steam, don't bother trying to unlock the game early with VPNs. I just tried Korea, Japan, and Australia servers and none of them has it early despite what wiki claims.

Steam preload is up now though.

You hosed something up then. I unlocked via Australia and it worked perfectly.

Also, the cops in this game do not gently caress around, I tried one side mission where I should transport a car, instantly get wanted level two, FINALLY manage to get rid of the cops, then I have to dodge some yellow search lights and if I get detected, I get wanted level three which is impossible. (Of course, I'm like one hour into the game so I have none of my cool upgrades yet)

Is there any reason why there are fixers that sell you digital trips around the city, when you have all the trips unlocked from the start and can use them anywhere?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Wild Knight posted:

The thing that impressed me most about the original trailer was the implications that missions had multiple methods of completion, more than just the "ghost vs. shoot everybody" like Deus Ex HR. In the thing they showed off it seemed like you could wait for the guy to arrive at the club and confront him there, or you could do what the demo guy did and go out into the street and cause a major traffic accident.

So my question is, how well does the game do that, because those expectations are way more important to me than graphics.

This is still in in surprisingly robust form. For instance if you get a mission where they want you to inconspicuously tail a guy and hack his phone while doing it, which is normally a ten minute thing while it transfers, you can just ram the guy off the road and walk up and ice him, then hack his phone to complete it. There are a few other ways to shortcut stuff like this I believe.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

If I buy the Season Pass, does it give me the DLC outfits on Day 1 or do I have to wait a few (days/weeks/months)?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

EightDeer posted:

If I buy the Season Pass, does it give me the DLC outfits on Day 1 or do I have to wait a few (days/weeks/months)?

The exclusive is day 1. The rest you probably have to wait.

Orv
May 4, 2011

EightDeer posted:

No idea since it's technically not launched for me. Probably a few days though.

This might mean something to someone: They have the Pistola from Uncharted 2.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Horrorosaurus posted:

I'm sorry but what in the world is the difference? If the intent was to have those graphics but it ran like poo poo on everyone's systems so they changed it is it still lying?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Horrorosaurus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i-4foLur0g

• Locked thread