Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Thumbtacks posted:

I do have a question though. If you find a nice chestpiece or something that you like, can you wear it regardless of the class you're using? I would assume not, but this game does seem to put a lot of focus on letting you make yourself look pretty, so it doesn't seem like too much of a stretch.

There are class restrictions on gear. You can use some relatively cheap glamour prisms to make one piece of gear look like another, but even that has to follow class restrictions. On the other hand, many vanity items can be used by all classes. It's not a perfect system by any stretch, but it's adequate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Thanks for all the tips again on BSM and DOH overall.
I went from 0 to 14 in about 90 minutes on Culinarian. Time for bed, but that wasn't so bad. :)

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

seorin posted:

There are class restrictions on gear. You can use some relatively cheap glamour prisms to make one piece of gear look like another, but even that has to follow class restrictions. On the other hand, many vanity items can be used by all classes. It's not a perfect system by any stretch, but it's adequate.

Works for me. Can I play a Marauder but DPS instead of tank? I enjoy comically large axes on people that clearly shouldn't be using them.

Also are people in this game more sensitive to RP-esque names (so if I just name myself Thumbtacks with my usual lack of creativity, for example, will I get yelled at)?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
No he basically just said you can glamour your items but you're only ever allowed to wear class appropriate stuff. So whatever you make your dps look like will have to already be DPS appropriate.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
No, I understood that. This is a different question. Can I play a DPS Marauder or are they basically tanks and only tanks?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Thumbtacks posted:

No, I understood that. This is a different question. Can I play a DPS Marauder or are they basically tanks and only tanks?

You can play a DPS-y Marauder solo and on your own time, but in a dungeon tanking is all you do.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

In some 8-player content, the off tank doesn't have to do any actual tanking (unless poo poo unexpectedly hits the fan and they have to take over from the main tank) and can basically pretend to be a DPS. Titan Hard, for example.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Thumbtacks posted:

Works for me. Can I play a Marauder but DPS instead of tank? I enjoy comically large axes on people that clearly shouldn't be using them.

Also are people in this game more sensitive to RP-esque names (so if I just name myself Thumbtacks with my usual lack of creativity, for example, will I get yelled at)?

Yes it is critical that you adhere to racial naming conventions, our immersion is very important to us. If you are a sea wolf please consider naming yourself Thwymgrtyckws.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

fount of knowledge posted:

My favorite thing about doing Garuda Ex as a melee is that I now have enough HP/defense to survive Wicked Wheels and thus trivialize what used to be the hardest Ex primal for melee DPS.

Meanwhile BLMs still have to cope with Titan. :allears:

My solution to the Dragoon dodging problem is to just get better at failing dodges. Double Wicked Wheels? Ha, still got 800 hp left, better luck next time! Huh? What do you mean I'm draining all the healer's mana!?

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

Something inside me calls out passionately to the landscape I saw - the end of the sea of corruption to which you led me.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Which makes it all the more frustrating. If it's my gently caress-up, fine. But if every single tank I get fucks up after three parties, with twenty-forty minutes of waiting to gather said party each time, all ending in wipes, while I'm doing all of my DPS right...it's just...it's just very draining.

I did it several hours a day for 2 weeks and finally got the win after around 175 Titan fights.

Basically at that point when you're doing everything crazily perfect, like you can't even believe how good you are at this once prohibitively intimidating fight, the only way I kept going was alcohol, and enjoying watching other people drop before I did. This was for my sanity, I get to silently enjoy their deaths.

People seem to suddenly become illiterate when forming Party Finders, but I find it can work if you get really specific. "Tired of being great at this fight but always losing? This is the party for you then" was the first one I formed that got Titan to 40% first try, the furthest I had gotten him at that point. People actually read the description and dodged like professional ice-skaters skating to safety. We would have won, 'cause seven of eight were working together with ease, but then that one guy hosed it all up. The one who tries to sneak in and thinks it'll be okay just 'cause. You know the guy.

Anyway, I'm rambling, but I invited a lot of members from that party to a linkshell I created for the sole purpose of clearing hard content with no schedule. In my opinion, this becomes a must at this stage in the game. Keep inviting people that never get hit by a Weight, do what they're supposed to and survive at least 'til the Superbomb, etc. Once you have 4-5 people like this with you on every run from your Linkshell or Free Company, you've drastically increased the odds of winning.

By the way it was refreshing to hear your perspective on the fight. "Everything is so easy yawwwn, why am I so awesome?" gets tedious.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
oh dear, excalibur is legacy only.

well that is unfortunate.

edit: oh just kidding it let me in. that was strange, but whatever. This feels just like launch.

Thumbtacks fucked around with this message at 08:33 on May 26, 2014

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Thumbtacks posted:

oh dear, excalibur is legacy only.

well that is unfortunate.

oh just kidding it let me in. that was strange, but whatever.

Legacy just means it has players from 1.0 on it; originally they thought this would distort the economy versus non-legacy worlds so there were restrictions on transferring off. Believe those restrictions are planned to be removed eventually.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Thumbtacks posted:

There is hope that more jobs will branch from a single, common class, much in the same way that Arcanist can go either to Summoner or Scholar. Personally, I'm hoping for Viking, complete with lightning- and thunder-based abilities.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Legacy just means it has players from 1.0 on it; originally they thought this would distort the economy versus non-legacy worlds so there were restrictions on transferring off. Believe those restrictions are planned to be removed eventually.

Oh. That makes sense.

Like I said, my only real experience with this game was trying to play it at launch, and it was such a clusterfuck I didn't touch the game for almost a year. That being said, it seems slightly more reasonable now.

We are on Excalibur, right? Sometimes goon sarcasm escapes me.

Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

I- I don't even know what you just called me!

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Believe those restrictions are planned to be removed eventually.

They are gone already

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Thumbtacks posted:

Oh. That makes sense.

Like I said, my only real experience with this game was trying to play it at launch, and it was such a clusterfuck I didn't touch the game for almost a year. That being said, it seems slightly more reasonable now.

Yes, we are on Excal.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
I just did the Hildebrand quest line today and :allears:

10/10 best game

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Thumbtacks posted:

Oh. That makes sense.

If you haven't yet, follow the directions in the OP

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

Thumbtacks posted:

Can I play a DPS Marauder or are they basically tanks and only tanks?

In PvP Marauders can be built to be freight trains of death, so there's that atleast. In fact they are one of the only classes where it's actually more beneficial to actually remove your WAR Job stone in PvP, in order to equip a whole bunch of offensive cooldowns so that your axe can literally explode a target in 2 GCD's.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Thumbtacks posted:

You can get a little bit of utility from thinking about how to gear your MRD for DPS, and you can probably find a use for holding onto a set of DPS accessories for those occasions where you're either not going to be tanking anything, or are going to be tanking things you massively outgear. On the whole though you will spend most of your time being a tank, geared for survivability over damage. Even going full DPS, in absolute perfect optimal conditions for it, you will be well below an actual DPS class.

Like others have said though if you PVP then you actually get to be a pretty great spike DPS over short durations. It's also important to note that they've said that base classes like Marauder are eventually going to have two separate job paths like Arcanist does and it will almost certainly be a DPS class like, I dunno, Berserker or something. Whether that's worth sticking with MRD/WAR over leveling a regular DPS job is up to you.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

You can "DPS" as a marauder but you'll do like 60% of an actual DD's damage.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
Hm... The game has crashed 3 times for me now, all while I've been reading the dialogue after delivering a quest. On Windows 8.1
Anyone else had this issue?

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

The closest you'll ever get to DPS is in OT lulls during big fights, dropping Defiance for a few minutes until you need to get to work again and just unloading Storms Path on whatever's hammering away at the MT. Sort of like how Paladins switch between Sword Oath and Shield Oath depending on what they're doing in a fight.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Last night titan extreme run with DGKK was alot of fun, learned alot.
I made this gif.
http://puu.sh/923r7
Down he goes.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Granbar posted:

On Windows 8.1

I think I found your issue

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

Sefal posted:

I made this gif.
Down he goes.

So my Titan Ex attempts go one of two ways. I make it to whatever phase the group as a whole makes it without dying (most of the time it is 1st add phase). The other times, I die to the very first weight of the lands. The very first ones. Last night I finally beat it (yay) however in one of the attempts, I died to the first weights (lag I swear :ohdear:) and my corpse ended up landing on the break away. I'm just glad its over. I will however continue doing it to help others since now that pressure is off my shoulders for now.

Also I got some crap for dying. What do people expect? No one really does Titan Ex except learning groups- which most can only get to 1st adds. I know what to do past them, I've seen countless videos, but experiencing it is different. So considering that I didn't die until after the first super bombs (most times) I was really proud of myself.

edit: I still thanked the guy endlessly and eventually he caved in and congratulated me on the win. It is a game after all no need for the poor attitudes.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

The Chairman posted:

If you haven't yet, follow the directions in the OP

That was the goon sarcasm I was referring to.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Sefal posted:

I made this gif.
Down he goes.

Down I go!

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
The only major problems i had as a Monk with Garuda EX is getting back to her and Suparna during the twister split i can survive one hit from the twisters but i almost always got hit with Slipstream due to poor timing.

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
Hooray Levi EX cleared on 2nd try, then farmed two more times today.

Boo no WHM weapon. Bloody SCH codex!

Now to learn King Mog EX :( :(

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

URL grey tea posted:

Welcome to the book club.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Running the game in Fullscreen instead of Windowed fullscreen. Works so far. *Knock on wood*

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Smornstein posted:

The only major problems i had as a Monk with Garuda EX is getting back to her and Suparna during the twister split i can survive one hit from the twisters but i almost always got hit with Slipstream due to poor timing.

The MT holding Garuda and Suparna should, as a rule, be pointing both of them away from the center of the arena, so you shouldn't be hit with Slipstreams as you approach from that direction.

Barring that, it's not a terrible idea to focus target Garuda (at any point in the fight), and target Suparna as you shoulder tackle across. That way you can see what each of them is casting.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I use Windows 8.1 and haven't had any crash problems. Try upgrading/downgrading your graphics drivers.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
I know the game has a horrible, horrible problem with Windows Vista in fullscreen, but yeah, my game runs fine on 8.1

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
I myself and several people I know run in Windows 8.1, it's not the issue.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I have two questions.

1) When do Legacy servers open up? Seems to be every four hours or so, from what I've read. I'd rather not spend all day hitting refresh every three minutes, so a better time window would be super.

2) My ffgoons account is hosed up for some reason, I don't know who The Chairman is here (unless that is also your SA name), but if someone could take a look at it, I'd appreciate it. It's saying my account isn't three months old, which is clearly not right.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

URL grey tea posted:

One more week for me trying to do Mog EX in PFs and getting nowhere. I had like 15 clears back when more FC people were doing it and never saw fending ribbon.

Now when I ask if anyone in the FC wants to run Mog EX all I get back is laughing. I don't actually think it's laughing though, I think it's sobbing.

I can hardly blame them, really.

Edit: Mog EX's biggest problem is not really that it's confusing and hectic and difficult, although that is a problem, it's that the rewards are kind of BS. An i100 neckpiece? You mean like the necks you can buy with soldiery, or get better versions of from Coil directly? It doesn't have a mirror analogue, or a mount, and even it's furniture item has less uses. There's nothing keeping people running it repeatedly and once experienced people get the item they need from it they never loving go back. If you don't get what you need from it, you eventually shrug and get one of the other alternatives available.

Hopefully Ramuh won't have this problem, but I suspect Ramuh will be a bit closer to Levi Ex with more staying power.

Meiteron fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 26, 2014

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Thumbtacks posted:

I have two questions.

1) When do Legacy servers open up? Seems to be every four hours or so, from what I've read. I'd rather not spend all day hitting refresh every three minutes, so a better time window would be super.

2) My ffgoons account is hosed up for some reason, I don't know who The Chairman is here (unless that is also your SA name), but if someone could take a look at it, I'd appreciate it. It's saying my account isn't three months old, which is clearly not right.

Dude, the answers to your questions are right here in the last 2 pages of this very thread. Your FFGOONS account doesn't have to be 3 months old, I was accepted to PBC with my account being less than 3 days old. It's referring to your SA account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Dude, the answers to your questions are right here in the last 2 pages of this very thread. Your FFGOONS account doesn't have to be 3 months old, I was accepted to PBC with my account being less than 3 days old. It's referring to your SA account.

I think that is his complaint, the ffgoons system is saying his SA account isn't 3 months old, which if you glance at his reg date is obviously not correct.

• Locked thread