Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
The Gorkanaut and Morkanaut need to be really cheap if they can't divide fire between targets and have guns that aren't so great (especially since they die to one "explodes" result). I was hoping the gattling gun of gattling guns would be stronger than than they're showing it to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

this troper posted:

Unless you're a Dark Eldar player of course. :v:

Well you can use Webwa.....

They just want to force DE players to buy Eldar Wave Serpents.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Daedleh posted:

The MANz look like repaints of the existing ones. From what we've heard (from the same source who first described the Gorkamorkanaughts), the new MANz are a complete redesign.

They're new. The guns and helmets are completely different.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?

Cataphract posted:

They're new. The guns and helmets are completely different.

Disappointing then. They still look as static as the old models...

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Daedleh posted:

Kind of hard to make an ork nob with metal literally bolted onto their flesh as anything other than static.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Daedleh posted:

Never judge a model by a GW photo of it. Certainly not a partial shot in a scan from a WD.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Wow, the Mega-kannon is even more disappointing than the punisher cannon was. Why does Games Workshop hate rotary guns even though they are among the top tier "rule of cool" nerd bait weapons? It took, what, six years before assault cannons became worth a drat again thanks to +1 shot and Rending?

Reminder: in 3rd Edition the assault cannon would jam on a to hit roll of triple 1's. When it jammed you couldn't use it for the rest of the game.

serious gaylord posted:

Who even takes flamers in squads when you can have a plasma/melta gun too?

My Raptor squads. I've always liked flamers, even when their rules were kinda bad, and now they just got better at actually clearing the area around the template instead of removing five doofs from the back edge.
:arghfist::commissar::shrek::v::v::v::v::v::v::v::flame:

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 26, 2014

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

BuffaloChicken posted:

Thank you for this. Been cool watching that board come together so far - gonna make my brother's cityfight board look like Wet Garbage when it's done. Absolutely love your Panthers... the retro look never gets old.

Ha, thanks!

So after beerhammer on Saturday Shadow Daishi stuck around and helped with the board. He's actually been crucial at getting this thing together--was there to assemble the initial boards in my folks' garage in 30-degree weather, so massive props to him.

Anyways, we got a crapload more done, including painting the roads and giving some texture to the sidewalks:

We also got more scenery painted, so here are some config shots of the table so far:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Holy poo poo that's rad.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
turn 4: i fire my first shots of the game

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
drat, that is a sweet board.

The only time I made a game board it was a canyon setting. Looked pretty good, but after playtesting 40k In 40k Minutes on it I realized it was unplayable and never painted it, later scrapped it.

It was 24" by 24" if memory serves. :smith:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Post 9-11 User posted:

Wow, the Mega-kannon is even more disappointing than the punisher cannon was.

Clearly someone hasn't seen Pask in Leman Russ Punisher or a Vulcan Mega-Bolter on a Stormlord at work. Hell, even though Rending ain't what it once was, Assault Cannons are still good guns. GW likes rotary weapons just fine. And Guard players love them.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Post 9-11 User posted:

drat, that is a sweet board.

The only time I made a game board it was a canyon setting. Looked pretty good, but after playtesting 40k In 40k Minutes on it I realized it was unplayable and never painted it, later scrapped it.

It was 24" by 24" if memory serves. :smith:

I'd love to build more significant features but it's been my experience that there just isn't enough upside most of the time and it makes them a pain in the rear end to store. I will probably do 3 more 2x2 sections eventually though, with 2 more diagonal roads and 1 more river section to do a full-length river.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
Here is my latest work, put together over two days. I need to actually do work now. Lots of green-stuffing and plasticarding left to do.

Innovative steering techniques:

Boss toting the Dakka-gun:

Also, if you are interested in tree/bush cover. From my model railway shop you can purchase small-scale trees and cover it with fake lichen:

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...

Ignite Memories posted:

Oh, only MY vehicles can take damage like that?

YOU DON'T SAY?

Necron Ghost Arks are also candidates for this type of attack.

Hollismason posted:

Just like CCB in Necron still gets the Sweep Attack even though that was removed from Chariots.

The digital version of the Necron Codex removed Sweep Attack from the CCB entry a long time ago, I'm sorry to say; I think we're (still) stuck waiting for a faq for things like this.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
That city fight board is so kick arse I've sat down and designed my own with a buddy. Completely inspired.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Please help, I have no idea what I'm doing. Trying to put together a 1000 point list of Blood Angels, here is what I have so far:

Troops
10 Death Company w/Rhino (250 pts)
2 Death Company Dreadnoughts (250 pts)

Heavy Support
5 Devastators w/4 Missile Launchers in Razorback w/Twin-Linked Lascannon (220 pts)

I almost threw Mephiston in there, but then I realized I'd be spending nearly 1000 points for 20 models. My buddy and I have been playing Purge the Alien, so I'm not too concerned about Death Company not scoring right now.

I mean, this is for a casual game, so maybe I should JUST PLAY?

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

Please help, I have no idea what I'm doing. Trying to put together a 1000 point list of Blood Angels, here is what I have so far:

Troops

Heavy Support
5 Devastators w/4 Missile Launchers in Razorback w/Twin-Linked Lascannon (220 pts)

I almost threw Mephiston in there, but then I realized I'd be spending nearly 1000 points for 20 models. My buddy and I have been playing Purge the Alien, so I'm not too concerned about Death Company not scoring right now.

Are you proxying models, or limited by what you own? Drop pods are the way to go for Dreads. 2 regular librarians would probably serve you better than Mephiston.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Well one more marine to absorb a wound in the devastor group would be the first thing I'd do.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Troops

Heavy Support

Just start playing, you'll learn what's good and what isn't. BA is firmly planted in the "fine for casual games" tier but they are pretty low overall. Don't actually put your Dev Squad in the Razorback though. Just park the Devs in some ruins and leave them there for the game, there's nothing worse than having to spend a turn snap firing your heavy weapons and 48" weapon range means they should be able to hit just about anything on the table without moving. DC Dreads without Drop Pods are almost useless; you're going to want to bring some Drop Pods. Melee Dreads are just awful if you have to walk across the table. The Death Company unit really needs at least 2 power weapons, even if that means cutting the unit down a bit, DC without power weapons are just a lot of attacks, DC with power weapons are pure death. You might also want to consider splitting into 2 units of 5 DC in Rhinos if you decide to drop a DC Dread that way you can engage multiple units, even a few power weapon DC can absolutely wreck most units if they can get the charge off and 10 DC is a lot of overkill in most situations. Meph is way too expensive for 1000 points; take a Librarian or a Chaplain and group up with a DC unit.

LingcodKilla posted:

Well one more marine to absorb a wound in the devastor group would be the first thing I'd do.

That already exists, it's the Sargent.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 26, 2014

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

LingcodKilla posted:

This. Six man Dev Squad works better than five because your MLs last longer.

For that matter, while I like me a Twin-Linked Lascannon as much as anyone, having only two wounds between you and losing Missile Launchers is less than ideal. I've gone to full ten man Dev Squads with a Rhino. If you want the TLC Razorback, try a six man Tac Squad instead.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
I'm playing without proxies. That said, I bought a large amount of Blood Angels used from someone. I have over 100 Space Marines with various weapons, 30 Assault Marines (6 meltas, 3 power fist sarges), Terminators and Assault Terminators, 2 Death Company or Furioso Dreads, 1 Dreadnought w/Assault cannon, 3 converted Sanguinary Priests, 5 Rhino Chassis (1 Whirlwind Launcher, 1 Twin-Linked Lascannon), 1 Vindicator, 1 Drop Pod.

HQs I have are: Mephiston, Librarian with Bolt Pistol, Reclusiarch with Plasma Pistol, Reclusiarch with Power Fist, Captain with Power Axe/Plasma Pistol, Captain with Storm Bolter/Power Sword.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Well, thats it. After 8 years in the 40k hobby, I've finally had enough. 7th edition is the most breakable edition of the game yet, thanks to one loving thing. When I realized you could potentially spew out 60 plaguebearers a turn, thats when I just said gently caress it. Taudar I could handle, even flier spam. But one ETC player arrives in the local meta and it all goes to poo poo. gently caress.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Lord Twisted posted:

That city fight board is so kick arse I've sat down and designed my own with a buddy. Completely inspired.

Thanks! Hit me up if you want my notes. It's designed to be fairly portable and easy to store.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
One of my buddies plays BA, and that army list reminded me of a question that he came up with.

So with Death Company, even in a Battle Forged list they can't score given the special rule in the codex. However, since their Rhino counts as a troop, are they a non-scoring unit riding in a scoring transport? A drop-podding DC Dread has the same issue.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

DJ Dizzy posted:

Well, thats it. After 8 years in the 40k hobby, I've finally had enough. 7th edition is the most breakable edition of the game yet, thanks to one loving thing. When I realized you could potentially spew out 60 plaguebearers a turn, thats when I just said gently caress it. Taudar I could handle, even flier spam. But one ETC player arrives in the local meta and it all goes to poo poo. gently caress.

Can I have your stuff?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Genghis Cohen posted:

Can I have your stuff?

Keeping it for the odd apoc and heralds of ruin game.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Post 9-11 User posted:

Reminder: in 3rd Edition the assault cannon would jam on a to hit roll of triple 1's. When it jammed you couldn't use it for the rest of the game.
Reminder: in 2nd Edition the assault cannon would jam on any "jammed" roll on 3 sustained fire dice. It took 1 turn per jammed result to unjam. If you rolled 3 jams at once, it exploded and killed your terminator/destroyed the weapon mount on the vehicle.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 26, 2014

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
The Imperial Fists legion gets those as a throwback- 'Prototype Iliastus Assault Cannon': S6, AP4, Rending, but jams if you roll 3 ones in a row for the rest of the game.

Also I take back what I said before. The new Ork robit looks worse than the skulldozer.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I always get a kick out of early-edition stuff that's been retconned to actually be the poo poo that they used way back in the whenever. Corvus armor, jamming assault cannons, the early-patterned Land Raider.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

My favorite forgeworld call-back to RT is the Eldar corsair jet-pack. They take one of the doofy but signature images from that book and make it work with the modern aesthetics.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

BULBASAUR posted:

Also I take back what I said before. The new Ork robit looks worse than the skulldozer.

Are you smoking crack or something?

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

TheChirurgeon posted:

I'd love to build more significant features but it's been my experience that there just isn't enough upside most of the time and it makes them a pain in the rear end to store. I will probably do 3 more 2x2 sections eventually though, with 2 more diagonal roads and 1 more river section to do a full-length river.

That's what was even worse than my building a static table from foam: I could have made three more 24"x24" sections but there was no way to store it all.

Never build a static, solid-feature board unless you own a hobby store or a warehouse. Or both.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Cataphract posted:

urgh, I just got there. That feels like such a step backwards... when they introduced the concept of "only troops can score" in 5th (or was it 4th) it was a bloody great move and improved the game so much.

In actual play I have found troops to be even more precious now. Being able to own an objective when others are on it is golden.

It also eliminates the whole "Just kill off all his troops" tactic. (which I personally found kind of dull).

It may not appeal to everyone - but in the two games I've played so far, those troops units were awesome.

Ghost Hand fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 26, 2014

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Cataphract posted:

And, my point is, the sky isn't falling. Ork trukks have always been paper thin and can be wrecked pretty simply by bolter fire. You're always going to suffer a high volume of casualty running trukks and the ability for someone to do a couple of wounds to the occupants of an open topped vehicle is pretty negligible odds were that the vehicle was going to get wrecked anyway.

Sure, but keep in mind that you're running Trukks to protect your Orks from being shot while they cross the field. It's not like Flamers or torrent weapons are gonna be popping up everywhere constantly, but it's a completely-unneeded nerf to two armies that were already suffering badly and a strategy that has been on the down-trend for four editions running. The argument "well but you should have more Orks" is also meaningless because that basically just presumes you have an infinite number of points/models I guess? It's not like you weren't bringing as many Orks as you could already, and even Green Tide lists can be tabled without all that much difficulty. Suffering extra casualties on the way in due to the new rule is just one more strike against them.

Moreover, there are more than a few relevant template weapons floating around these days- the Heldrake, yes, but also the Dreadknight, the Burning Brand, the Night Spinner, and even just Flamers/Heavy Flamers. IG in particular likes to field the latter, but seeing them elsewhere is not unusual at all, because this ain't 5E no more- dealing with large numbers of infantry models is a thing you have to be able to do, and templates are a pretty good way to accomplish that in many cases.

Post 9-11 User posted:

Wow, the Mega-kannon is even more disappointing than the punisher cannon was.

Without knowing the price it's hard to get a good feel for the Morkanaut overall, but it strikes me as pretty weird to be saying that the Punisher Cannon is bad these days. Height of 5th edition, sure, but with Pask in a Punisher being a little bit of A Thing these days, why would you call it bad? Even without Pask it's spitting out a fuckton of dice for a pretty cheap price. It's also really good on the Vulture and the "baby version" on the Taurox Prime is arguably the best of the main weapons for it (even if the vehicle itself is underwhelming.) The Burst Cannon went from lovely to actually pretty good with the most recent book (even if it's not a first-choice weapon because S5 is pretty abundant in the tau army), the Avenger cannon is quite strong, etc.

In summary, don't be hatin' on rotary cannons, they are mostly quite good.

TheChirurgeon posted:

So after beerhammer on Saturday Shadow Daishi stuck around and helped with the board. He's actually been crucial at getting this thing together--was there to assemble the initial boards in my folks' garage in 30-degree weather, so massive props to him.

This thing is amazing-looking.

Tequila Ranger posted:

The digital version of the Necron Codex removed Sweep Attack from the CCB entry a long time ago, I'm sorry to say; I think we're (still) stuck waiting for a faq for things like this.

Given the new edition and all, I have to assume that the old FAQs are essentially invalidated and most units are reverting to prior rules, so Sweep Attack is still a thing. I mean, obviously that's not official and your group can play it however they want, but playing the CCB by its printed rules seems pretty reasonable and there's no obvious reason that Sweep Attack would be taken away from it, as the only reason it was removed last edition is because BRB rules superseded it.

Troops

Heavy Support

Getting out and playing is good advice- experience is perhaps the best way to learn the game. However, I would definitely say that you should try out missions other than Purge the Alien- scoring objectives really isn't that complicated and 5/6 of the normal missions rely on being able to score stuff.

If you're looking to expand your list, you definitely want to find an HQ- I would suggest possibly a Reclusiarch, to hang out with your Death Company. Rerolling misses AND failed woulds is amazing,a nd you will be shocked at how much damage that unit can output. I like throwing a Power Sword or Fist into my Death Company so they are a little more flexible, but that's not really needed at 1000pts. If you go much larger, getting some other transport for the Death Company (Stormraven, Land Raider, Drop Pod) will probably work out better for you, since you want to be assaulting early.

Blood Angels are hopefully seeing a new codex in the relatively-near future, so the best advice is probably just to buy the one or two things you need for a legal list and hold off on the rest, as a lot of stuff is likely to change.

(Oh, if you haven't already, try out Blood Talons on the DC Dreads; they're hilarious. S6, rerolling wounds, and more free attacks for everything you kill- the only downside is being bad at killing other Dreadnoughts.)

Ghost Hand posted:

In actual play I have found troops to be even more precious now. Being able to own an objective when others are on it is golden.

It also eliminates the whole "Just kill off all his troops" tactic. (which I personally found kind of dull).

It may not appeal to everyone - but in the two games I've played so far, those troops units were awesome.

I'm generally with you on this one- although I did like only troops being able to score, because it introduced a lot of interesting balancing decisions to list-writing, in practice it was often obnoxious. Troops being super-scoring is a pretty good compensation and allows for some interesting shenanigans in terms of stealing objectives away from the enemy, so it's not just straight-up worse.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

Lungboy posted:

Are you smoking crack or something?

Can't say I'm really a fan of it either. The limbs are half decent and pretty orky in a stompa "we'll just randomly bolt this on here" kind of way. The main body looks like a fridge with legs or a rectangular R2-D2 on meth though.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:
Cool tables and Orks reminds me: there was a kickstarter for a modular plastic wargaming table with a gorkamorka vibe. I didn't have any money I could afford to put towards it at the time, and ended up forgetting about it. Does anybody know if that project worked out?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
If it was a bit more curvy I'd like it. It's just too boxy and plain looking. When I think orc robit I think something like this:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Old paint job time.

I did this guy up about...3 years ago, I wanna say. Maybe two, I dunno. Recently I went back to him and redid his sword because I hated the old garish lightning job I did on it, going over with liquid silver and adding some blood splatters here and there to freshen it up. This was one of my first attempts at non-metal metallics, and it's a bit too yellow for my taste; if tasked with doing this again I'd either skip out on the NMM, or do it with some glazes. Originally used for someone's Blood Angels army, and who gave it back to me a few months ago because he didn't want to keep it around anymore.

Slimnoid fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?

Tadhg posted:

Cool tables and Orks reminds me: there was a kickstarter for a modular plastic wargaming table with a gorkamorka vibe. I didn't have any money I could afford to put towards it at the time, and ended up forgetting about it. Does anybody know if that project worked out?

Was it Tablescapes by Secret Weapon? They're late delivering, but still seem to be on track to do so.

thiswayliesmadness posted:

Can't say I'm really a fan of it either. The limbs are half decent and pretty orky in a stompa "we'll just randomly bolt this on here" kind of way. The main body looks like a fridge with legs or a rectangular R2-D2 on meth though.

Chalk another one up for "not a fan". I'll reserve judgement, but it just looks like a poorly designed mega gargant. I really don't think the whole "transport walker" is a particularly great concept and they've not pulled it off at all. Most other walkers that you could conceive having transport capacity are huge titans that are naturally roomy inside, like the Stompa or Warlord titan.

I wouldn't have said no to a ruzzbot:

An armoured transport on tracks would be nice. Not a walker transport.

In fact what I'll probably end up doing is scratch building a ruzzbot with the weapons from a Gorkamorkanaught and with opponents permission play it with the same rules only a transport vehicle instead of walker.

• Locked thread