Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed

CommonTerry posted:

It makes sense it's just a waste of effort.

We should all just give up and go to chipotle. The laziest way to eat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonTerry
Dec 16, 2013

good is soda grape

The White Dragon posted:

The problem is that realistically, few schools are actually going to have the resources to teach those multiple avenues. More than likely, understaffed schools with oversized classes are gonna choose the one at the top of the list and, well, we just can't deal with any student who understands better under the different methods that are outlined in the teaching guidelines that we're unable to cover.

the big complaints coming from the teachers i've seen is:

1. kids don't get it/it's not intuitive to them

2. the early testing being used to judge what kids' futures will be is terrifying to the children, the teachers, and parents

the tests are apparently horrible in literally every way possible but they legally can't tell you why

CommonTerry
Dec 16, 2013

good is soda grape

Carol Pizzamom posted:

We should all just give up and go to chipotle. The laziest way to eat

no we should feed our children growth-stunting protein deficient diets because that's what South Korea is doing and they're kicking our rear end in STEM

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Gulzin posted:

Quickly do 42-29. By common core's method it is easy to do in your head: 29+1=30, 30+10=40, 40+2=42, so 1+10+2=13.

Now do it quickly with the borrow method.

12-9=3
30-20=10
10+3=13

How exactly is common core faster or easier?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

if common core math is confusing for you you should have learned common core in school because you're really bad at math

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Actually my biggest issue with common core is that it adds more work to show than the borrow/carry method, and as a child I always hated writing out steps because my hand cramps up terribly and gets pencil smeared all over it. #southpawproblems

CommonTerry
Dec 16, 2013

good is soda grape

thelightguy posted:

Actually my biggest issue with common core is that it adds more work to show than the borrow/carry method, and as a child I always hated writing out steps because my hand cramps up terribly and gets pencil smeared all over it. #southpawproblems

no, you see, adding more work makes you able to study it faster

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Gulzin posted:

Also, if you had to do it quickly, did you do it with pen and paper, because common core's method makes it MUCH easier to do in your head?

Quickly do 42-29. By common core's method it is easy to do in your head: 29+1=30, 30+10=40, 40+2=42, so 1+10+2=13.

40-20= 20

22-9= 13

Gulzin
Jan 3, 2004
A little gnome hasn't hurt anybody

thelightguy posted:

12-9=3
30-20=10
10+3=13

Okay, new test:

241551-214212

Common Core Method:
8+80+700+5000+20000+1000+500+50+1=20000+5000+1000+700+500+80+50+8+1=27339

It is closer to the mental arithmetic tricks people use (read the endless people posting that in this very thread), but it has the benefit of actually highlighting how the positional number system works too. It is much slower on paper, but who cares about being speedy when you have calculators.

Anyhow, I posted research articles showing why we need common core, proof that common core works, and now the thread is going in cycles.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

hey gary oldman pls stop being such a loving retard and stop arguing about poo poo you dont know anything about

"i dont have any info to back my stupid ideas but my old texbook was awesome so QED" loving lol

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

CommonTerry posted:

2. the early testing being used to judge what kids' futures will be is terrifying to the children, the teachers, and parents

the tests are apparently horrible in literally every way possible but they legally can't tell you why

the only ppl complaining are the stupid parents actually

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

CommonTerry posted:

The tests are horrible because the people making them don't even understand the Common Core Standards. Some schools think these are replacements for curriculum (they're not), and others think that because CCSS require more writing now students have to write an explanation for everything they do. Common Core is being terribly implemented, which just adds to the shitstorm swirling around it.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

thelightguy posted:

12-9=3
30-20=10
10+3=13

38126 x 387

estimates orders of magnitude:

"two numbers, eight digits between them, 38x38 is almost 40x40 so my answer should be in the ten millions and start with one-five or one-four"

prefers addition:

"387's close to 400 but I don't like subtracting. If I moved a two from one to the other I'd get 19063 x 774, which means I get to multiply a lot of sevens so let's do that. 133,441 x 110 = 14678510 + two 38,126s (76,252), 78510 + 76252 = 154762, so the answer's 14754762."

(this is actually how I do it)

prefers subtraction:

"387's close to 400, so if I make it 38126 x 400 - 38126 x 13, that's just 15250400 - 381260 - 38126 three times, which is bullshit, nobody prefers subtraction."

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Common Core is being terribly implemented, which just adds to the shitstorm swirling around it.

Hey shocking when you pay your teachers nothing nobody qualified except a few that actually care about teaching is attracted to the field!

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Gulzin posted:

It is much slower on paper, but who cares about being speedy when you have calculators.

Me because my hand cramped up constantly back when I had to write all this poo poo out. Calculators though are a godsend when you have them available, I wrote programs for my HP48 that would take all sorts of equations and print out every step in solving them, making math homework almost not a terrible tedious chore.

CommonTerry
Dec 16, 2013

good is soda grape

babypolis posted:

most teachers are parents

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Also kids care if it's slower on paper, the #1 thing I hated the most was showing my work for some poo poo that I did in my head. I just didn't do it and then my grade suffered even though I understood the concept.

I'm not really against CC because Gulzin convinced me but I will say that nobody seems to give a poo poo what kids think and then they go 'why do kids not care at all?'

CommonTerry
Dec 16, 2013

good is soda grape

Moridin920 posted:

Hey shocking when you pay your teachers nothing nobody qualified except a few that actually care about teaching is attracted to the field!

you want all teachers to care about teaching in low grades. doing teaching for the money = you shouldn't be teaching

Gulzin
Jan 3, 2004

thelightguy posted:

Me because my hand cramped up constantly back when I had to write all this poo poo out. Calculators though are a godsend when you have them available, I wrote programs for my HP48 that would take all sorts of equations and print out every step in solving them, making math homework almost not a terrible tedious chore.

Any student I have that would do that would get an automatic A on that assignment. To write the program you understand the process. That is why we have students show work, because it lets us see they understand the process. Who cares how many widgets Jim's widget factory makes. We only care that you understand the process and the problem so you can actually use it in your life.

Edit: Also, remember that there are many wrong ways to get a single right answer.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

Also kids care if it's slower on paper, the #1 thing I hated the most was showing my work for some poo poo that I did in my head. I just didn't do it and then my grade suffered even though I understood the concept.

I'm not really against CC because Gulzin convinced me but I will say that nobody seems to give a poo poo what kids think and then they go 'why do kids not care at all?'

ive heard kids like it again it seems only the parents are having trouble with it

CommonTerry posted:

you want all teachers to care about teaching in low grades. doing teaching for the money = you shouldn't be teaching

what a stupid thing to say

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Gulzin posted:

Any student I have that would do that would get an automatic A on that assignment. To write the program you understand the process. That is why we have students show work, because it lets us see they understand the process. Who cares how many widgets Jim's widget factory makes. We only care that you understand the process and the problem so you can actually use it in your life.

Man I wish I had you teaching me math through high school.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
i love these people who are OUTRAGED at common core math. oh my god, the horror of forcing kids to acquire basic numeracy skills instead of memorizing algorithms that they may not even understand

Gulzin
Jan 3, 2004

thelightguy posted:

Man I wish I had you teaching me math through high school.

I would be tempted to teach high-school for awhile if we didn't treat teachers like complete poo poo. Another math professor went to teach high-school for a year: http://www.ams.org/notices/201210/rtx121001408p.pdf

That story is why I plan to stay firmly in higher education.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Moridin920 posted:

Test design doesn't usually involve teachers, schools have a whole separate department and payroll for test design (and teacher evals nowadays).

suspicious donkey!
Jun 26, 2013
if you think there is something like the common core method that you have to learn now instead of some other method you srsly are not getting it hth

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CommonTerry posted:

that works brilliantly today, we have sooo many good teachers

we have a capitalist system, people get jobs for the money. yes, some people get jobs because they actually like them, but if you pay a pittance for a job you're going to get candidates for the job that are on average worth that pittance you're paying them.

if you made becoming a teacher as stringent as becoming a doctor with the same amount of prestige and pay, you are going to get a lot more bright and successful people becoming teachers

instead of the old 'if you fail at everything, teach!' joke. It's pretty telling that such a joke even exists.

yes I want all teachers to care about teaching in any grade. The lower grades are the most formulative years of your life, a good schooling in grade school ensures you have good study habits and life habits that will help you succeed later. If a kid learns early on that their teacher doesn't give a poo poo, then what do you think that kid's attitude towards school from that point on will be? And then we wonder why kids in high school don't care.

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Test design doesn't usually involve teachers, schools have a whole separate department and payroll for test design (and teacher evals nowadays).

the whole constantly testing mentality is also stupid as hell though, and is pretty much a result of 'No Child Left Behind.' Kids in grade school shouldn't have to take standardized tests. It's because we don't trust our teachers to teach anything so we just have to check and see I guess! And then the tests are not part of the class grade so the kids don't care and draw christmas trees in the bubbles and then oops less funding for the school gotta cut extracurriculars!

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:36 on May 26, 2014

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

alright so i understand common core subtraction and yeah it's cool but how do you do common core addition/division/multiplication, genuinely interested

is common core stuff just for arithmetic, or does it go all the way up to algebra/trig etc

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Gulzin posted:

I would be tempted to teach high-school for awhile if we didn't treat teachers like complete poo poo. Another math professor went to teach high-school for a year: http://www.ams.org/notices/201210/rtx121001408p.pdf

It's no better at the "good" schools either.

The experience of being at an ostensibly well performing high school (which included an expectation of doing 4-6 hours hours of homework a night and participating in extracurriculars) is the biggest reason I never pursued higher education other than a spattering of art classes at the local community college. For the longest time, it killed any respect I had for formal education, and even now that I'm looking at MFA programs, I'm only considering ones that allow a portfolio in lieu of a bachelor's.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gulzin posted:

See what I mean?

Can't get good teachers in hs let alone grade school because our system is set up in such a way such that nobody gives a poo poo about teachers. They don't get paid enough, they don't get trained enough, etc. Schools that don't perform well get less money the next year. It's nuts.

Next to systemic flaws like these changing up the math curriculum seems like tossing a mentos into a vat of hydrocloric acid. Not that we shouldn't do it but drat dude our education system is hosed.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Armani posted:

I once passed a math test because I drew a sweet picture of Goku on the paper back in the 8th grade

I am why America is dumb sorry everyone

Q1a) Express Goku's power level as an inequality.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Gulzin posted:

Pushing you towards research and articles of mathematicians explaining why this is a good thing is not an appeal to authority any more than me posting climate research would be an appeal to authority when talking about global climate change. I am sorry if you don't agree with the science, but it is what it is.

Common Core isn't just some bullshit thing someone threw together. They even say on their website that it is based on recommendations from the National Center for Educational Statistics. Here is a Research Article that supports Common Core.

Now find me a research article that supports the pre-2000 curriculum.
no kidding in the current state people are hoping to dig us out of standardless hell and want to enact a wide reaching standard i havent been attacking all of common core ive been attacking this pushing against mastery of more effective techniques in lieu of retard math
youve said this tard version of addition and subtraction is superior to classic such that it is a suitable complete replacement
give me something better than that as an adult you practiced how to add and subtract this way and it really makes sense to you
adding to maximize the zeroed digits just so you can add again is retarded

you literally complain about the memorization of the ordinary method and say this new method has no memorization:

Gulzin posted:

No, it is not faster than your algorithm, but I bet if you look at it and understand how it works, you wouldn't need to memorize anything to do it.
whether remembering the process or mentally performing this you are still memorizing as much information and actually a little more you just consider it natural because in your day

you are exactly still borrowing and carrying to the next digits youre just achieving it in its own explicit step to later return your work on the current digit
its the same thing but with the retarded assumption that you shouldnt trust yourself to perform 2-digit math and that future american children should never trust themselves to be able to do simple mental operations theyll just learn to use the calculator more

someone with supposed insight into the mathematical operations being performed should understand that

helps kids understand the base-10 system... man if they do not understand that every increment of the 10s place is 10 more and the 100s place is 100 more you have no business yet pushing them into doing addition and subtraction on the basis that you have a neat trick that they can memorize to get by that and be functional even though they are completely hobbled

Gulzin posted:

Now find me a research article that supports the pre-2000 curriculum.
show me all the research specifically on this tard math from pre-1990 when the momentum of what is now common core really began its tirade against algorithmic proficiency to present day thanks
if youre the current crop of educators and you cant distinguish that from all of common core were in trouble

reminder that Gulzin has no loving idea about what happened to the math curriculum and literally just denies that math books ever explained math
hes complaining that proficiency of classic algorithmic methods just dont work and apparently never worked while back in reality education and mastery of them has been under attack in the us for decades

Gulzin posted:

It is much slower on paper, but who cares about being speedy when you have calculators.
you want kids using calculators for basic addition and subtraction your idea
new peaks of excellence

if someone could really give me 1 solid answer on why what works everywhere else in countries that outperform us just cant work in america that would be great

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 21:08 on May 26, 2014

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Gulzin posted:

Oh, so when was the last time you had to quickly add and subtract two digit numbers quickly? Were you faster than a calculator?

Also, if you had to do it quickly, did you do it with pen and paper, because common core's method makes it MUCH easier to do in your head?

42-30=12

so 42-29=13.

idk that's how i'd do that in my head. i don't consider myself very good at mental math, though

Gulzin
Jan 3, 2004

gary oldmans diary posted:

reminder that Gulzin has no loving idea about what happened to the math curriculum and literally just denies that math books ever explained math
hes complaining that proficiency of classic algorithmic methods just dont work and apparently never worked while back in reality education and mastery of them has been under attack in the us for decades
you want kids using calculators for basic addition and subtraction your idea
new peaks of excellence

I'm done arguing your bullshit points until you provide some research to back it up. Provide one credible source that backs up your claim that this is because we changed curriculum in 2000.

Here let me help you find research related to Reform Mathematics (those changes in only certain states that you keep on railing against that happened in 2000)
Students in urban areas perform just as well as traditional curriculum, so SHUT UP, and AND SHUT UP.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Gulzin posted:

I'm done arguing
and nothing of value was lost
where are the numerous links you posted on why simply borrowing and carrying doesnt work wheres all those

Gulzin posted:

Provide one credible source that backs up your claim that this is because we changed curriculum
no youre right we never changed our curriculum and singapore has always been more proficient in math than us
timeless truths

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 26, 2014

Gulzin
Jan 3, 2004

no youre right we never changed our curriculum and singapore has always been more proficient in math than us
timeless truths

babypolis posted:

hey gary oldman pls stop being such a loving retard and stop arguing about poo poo you dont know anything about

"i dont have any info to back my stupid ideas but my old texbook was awesome so QED" loving lol

Concerned Citizen posted:

i really enjoy this conversation between dumb people who think they know education b/c they went to school and a person that actually teaches math and knows what they're talking about (so of course they're ignored by half the posters)

Tell us more.

suspicious donkey!
Jun 26, 2013

if someone could really give me 1 solid answer on why what works everywhere else in countries that outperform us just cant work in america that would be great

eh it doesnt really. afaik every country that has some form of math education research is changing its curriculum. its mostly the same: algorithms produce some people that are good at calculating and many people that suck at it. it also produces no understanding, when measuring understanding as something else as is able to calculate

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

babypolis posted:

uneducated parents not being able to help their statistically worse-off kids with basic math skills is good because

by the way it's all algorithms this is just a different one.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Gulzin posted:

Tell us more.
good citations this definitely proves your points against borrow and carry
allow me to cite: your math is retardedly incremental because you only know how to add and subtract to and from 10

vaucede posted:

eh it doesnt really. afaik every country that has some form of math education research is changing its curriculum. its mostly the same: algorithms produce some people that are good at calculating and many people that suck at it. it also produces no understanding, when measuring understanding as something else as is able to calculate
by itself simply teaching an algorithm does not provide understanding
if you provide an understanding you dont need to make basic addition and subtraction a chore
this isnt only about understanding this is an opposition to lifelong proficiency and efficacy for these kids
i really hope they arent gonna be herded into calculator reliant basic math

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

where are the numerous links you posted on why simply borrowing and carrying doesnt work wheres all those
timeless truths

I want to be clear here. You are actually arguing against Common Core?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

gggiiimmmppp posted:

if common core math is confusing for you you should have learned common core in school because you're really bad at math

its not confusing to me, but it seems kinda pointless when you're talking about simple addition and subtraction problems.

• Locked thread