Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Brimaz is a lion-man right? In fact, he's king of the lion-men? With a big white scar over one eye?

Main villain for Return to Theros is confirmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Veyrall posted:

Brimaz is a lion-man right? In fact, he's king of the lion-men? With a big white scar over one eye?

But he's already the king. :confused:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

50 pounds of bread posted:

Seriously though, Elspeth is the most boring character ever forever.

I'm a sword lady who doesn't like war, follow me around while I fight wars trying to avoid wars because I am the embodiment of painfully obvious objective morality, conflicted with my desire to avoid conflict.

Eugh, Sorin is a way better good guy.

Wouldn't be surprised at all if when she comes back she's all Elspeth Vengeant, though.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Zemyla posted:

But he's already the king. :confused:

And has been so for a while now if he knows Ajani. Return to Theros main villain is all but guaranteed to be Heliod unless someone offs him.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Veyrall posted:

Brimaz doesn't have a scar over his eye.

But Ajani does :tinfoil:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

I prefer Timmy McKrakenlover over whatever a "real" merfolk walker would be, anyway.

Oh yeah, most certainly. It's just the guy I quoted was speaking like it was tribal related.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Ramos posted:

And has been so for a while now if he knows Ajani. Return to Theros main villain is all but guaranteed to be Heliod unless someone offs him.

Scars of Theros main villain is going to be Elesh Norn, because it would be a huge waste to not do Devotion to Phyrexia.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

forbidden lesbian posted:

Oh yeah, most certainly. It's just the guy I quoted was speaking like it was tribal related.

It doesn't have to be tribal. Give it a gamble effect or something. I'm sure red would appreciate a +1 Gamble effect or something. Just make it a goblin.

Or maybe an Atog planeswalker, that would be sweet.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

So with Goblin Rabblemaster coming out in M15, what are the odds of seeing a Super Standard Goblins deck?

It's got a bunch of hilarious things going on for it, like Legion Loyalist, Foundry Street Denizen, and Hellraiser Goblin.

I just want to play something dumb and silly for M15 release week. :allears:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Scars of Theros main villain is going to be Elesh Norn, because it would be a huge waste to not do Devotion to Phyrexia.

Norn stops by and suplexes Heliod and friends with their indestructible ignoring strategies and then promptly start making negative monstrous and heroic abilities.

Mercury Crusader posted:

It doesn't have to be tribal. Give it a gamble effect or something. I'm sure red would appreciate a +1 Gamble effect or something. Just make it a goblin.

Or maybe an Atog planeswalker, that would be sweet.

I'd imagine the a goblin planeswalker to be about three mana with two loyalty. The -1 ability being four damage to a target player. Seems about right for a burn spell and forces people into acting to keep it from reaching too far.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Eldrazi God with devotion to colorless :allears:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I wonder what new Sarkhan is going to have ability wise. I mean, both previously Sarkhans were OK but not really super playable.

Given his theming it's going to be obviously dragon related, but even when his abilities synergize with dragons they don't do an awful lot to protect himself. Sarkhan #1 simply doesn't generate any real quasi-card advantage or protect himself at all, even when he does basically go off as a 4-mana repeatable threaten, Sarkhan #2 is deliberately weird to match the flavor of him going insane and he's pretty meh for five mana as a result.

I doubt they'll make his + ability be outright burn because that Chandra's gimmick, and if he generates tokens that's veering into the white/green planeswalker territory. Though I suppose they could have him create dragon eggs or something, that'd be funny.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I think his abilities will depend on if he's still under Bolas's control or not, right?

I'm hoping he's RG again, honestly.

And that it involves putting dragons with haste onto the battlefield this time. :colbert:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
If one current gimmick on Tarkir is reanimating dead dragon skeletons, and Sarkhan is still partially black, maybe he could have a + ability that's self-milling, and a minor - that's like Sarkhan the Mad's, except it exiles a card in a graveyard to put a dragon skeleton into play. Or similar. Basically a spin on Ashiok, but with DRAGONS.

This is of course an asspulled idea that may be based on an incorrect understanding of Tarkir.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

+1 - Put a 1/1 colorless "Dragon Egg" token into play that has "sacrifice this creature: add 1 mana of any color to your mana pool".
-6 - Deal 10 damage to any player who says the word "gold"

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Count Bleck posted:

I think his abilities will depend on if he's still under Bolas's control or not, right?

I'm hoping he's RG again, honestly.

And that it involves putting dragons with haste onto the battlefield this time. :colbert:

Well the entire reason he went mad during Zendikar block was that Bolas, the ultimate dragon, used his ultimate power not to dominate but to scheme and connive which really went against Sarkhan's whole dragon-based belief system. Chances are this arc will be in part about his crisis of faith or whatever.

Personally I hope he's not RG simply because we've had an oversaturation of RG walkers as of late.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Zorak posted:

Well the entire reason he went mad during Zendikar block was that Bolas, the ultimate dragon, used his ultimate power not to dominate but to scheme and connive which really went against Sarkhan's whole dragon-based belief system. Chances are this arc will be in part about his crisis of faith or whatever.

Personally I hope he's not RG simply because we've had an oversaturation of RG walkers as of late.

I'd agree with that there's been far too many RG walkers.

We have Domri and Xenagos in the same standard and it's kind of ridiculous, but what IS Sarkhan then? RB? I'd like an RB Walker, yeah.

Music For Cats
May 30, 2011

Sarkhan looks RB from the picture we've seen of him. I'm hoping that's the case.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
I think it'd be fine if he was just straight up BRG.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
^^^:respek:

I'd like to see Sarkhan as a better version of his original RB self or straight-up RGB (3 cmc) 'walker to represent his Jund-ness.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
They could try to make him three-color B/R/G I guess. Outside of Nicol Bolas, are there any others?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

If any wedges could use a break for awhile its Jund and Naya so I hope he's neither of those things. I mean we could just hope he's bad instead but that's no fun.

edit: Esper could probably use a break too but unless Blue is unplayable after rotation probably every control deck will be in those colors because of Thoughtseize.

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 26, 2014

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
I wouldn't be surprised to see a monored Sarkhan. He's definitely a base-red character and if he's the headline returning planeswalker for the block, it seems more likely that they'd want him to be monocolor instead of a gold card.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I was in Walmart the other day and I swear I saw some Innistrad packs on a shelf. What's the EV on those look like these days? Is it worth it to grab a few if I enjoy cracking packs in the first place?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

C-Euro posted:

I was in Walmart the other day and I swear I saw some Innistrad packs on a shelf. What's the EV on those look like these days? Is it worth it to grab a few if I enjoy cracking packs in the first place?

Edit: Probably. If they're still at MSRP very yes innistrad rules

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I saw them the other day as "Vintage Boosters" or something as well, it's 2 Innistrad for $11. According to MTG Stocks the EV even at TCG Mid is $2.93, so you're not going to be making money unless you hit the lottery, just like any other booster pack.

But in this case the lottery top is Liliana/Snapcaster/Geist and their corresponding foils.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

It'd be fun to get a draft together if you're going to buy a bunch of packs anyway.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Boco_T posted:

I saw them the other day as "Vintage Boosters" or something as well, it's 2 Innistrad for $11. According to MTG Stocks the EV even at TCG Mid is $2.93, so you're not going to be making money unless you hit the lottery, just like any other booster pack.

Well yeah but as far as "buying boosters to crack them" goes you can do a lot worse than innistrad (eg: anything made after it)

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Haha drat, Innistrad boosters are 6 bucks each on TCGplayer.

Jimmy Jazz
Dec 25, 2006
Police walked in for me; I wasn't there, 'cause I sure went fast!

kizudarake posted:

What kind of decks have good matches against Jund monsters? I'm already planning for next game day.

B/g devotion with maindeck lifebane is pretty rough, the addition of abrupt decay makes winning the long game a lot tougher. Domri and courser are really important for monsters and getting a two mana instant speed answer swings the matchup in black's favour.

Burn is fairly even as jund, I would say straight rg is favored. You've got a bit of life gain with coursers and ooze, and stormbreath can close games out in a hurry, but multiple helixes and chained can be tough. Deploying shock lands correctly is crucial as games usually hinge on 2 to 4 life.

I don't think there are any decks that really crush it, it's reasonably balanced.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

change my name posted:

Haha drat, Innistrad boosters are 6 bucks each on TCGplayer.
I'm always extremely skeptical of buying single boosters on-line because of box mapping.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Babylon Astronaut posted:

I'm always extremely skeptical of buying single boosters on-line because of box mapping.

I bought 3 Return to Ravnica packs through the site at 3 bucks each (2 weeks ago) and drew Rakdos, Temple Garden and Cyclonic Rift from them. I don't know if they're skimming mythics but since I did get at least one, I think it comes down to the seller's rep.

Of course I should've sold them when I had the chance, their prices tanked recently. Whoops.

change my name fucked around with this message at 23:17 on May 26, 2014

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Sure, if it's not mapped, it's not mapped, but you won't know until you open them. Also, my luck is so bad I couldn't tell the difference. Caveat emptor.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
For the uninitiated, what's box mapping?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

bhsman posted:

For the uninitiated, what's box mapping?

I just googled it when he brought it up, basically the way boosters are packed into the box isn't totally random due to the machinery used. Retailers could theoretically skim off the packs with mythics and sell them for much more, and push the chump packs to customers.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Sleepy Owl posted:

Brimaz doesn't have a scar over his eye.

But Ajani does :tinfoil:

You might say that Veyrall...has their lions crossed.

Devotion desperately needs to be evergreen, just because "devotion to black" is the most :metal101: thing ever.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Boxman posted:

Devotion desperately needs to be evergreen, just because "devotion to black" is the most :metal101: thing ever.

I agree with the sentiment, but this would make me quit the game because gently caress that deck so hard right now. Not because of power level, just boredom. So sick of "Turn one, Swamp Thoughtseize" for the past six months (and presumably for another year and a half to come).

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I agree with the sentiment, but this would make me quit the game because gently caress that deck so hard right now. Not because of power level, just boredom. So sick of "Turn one, Swamp Thoughtseize" for the past six months (and presumably for another year and a half to come).

This is honestly more often than not what standard has been for the last 5-6 years, so the trend suggests you'll see it happen again and again, just with a new face each time.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

TheKingofSprings posted:

This is honestly more often than not what standard has been for the last 5-6 years, so the trend suggests you'll see it happen again and again, just with a new face each time.

Most things are more tolerable than a forced mulligan every game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Sure, if it's not mapped, it's not mapped, but you won't know until you open them. Also, my luck is so bad I couldn't tell the difference. Caveat emptor.

A really dedicated sleazy vendor would crack the cases, box map, an re-shrinkwrap them. Of course, people would soon be flooding the message boards with "I bought 8 cases from Joe's Card Shack and only got 2 mythics, WTF?"

• Locked thread