Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
You can still export a commodity if you don't have a trade deal for it; you just get the default price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Gah, I hate when I forget upgrades. I just sent a bunch of colonial marines against a tank column because I forgot to upgrade one of my colonial forts.

Alberto Basalm
Nov 14, 2005

Bloodnose posted:

What negative effect do crime lords even have? One of my games had a lot of them but I was too pussy to shoot them and they didn't seem to actually be that bad. A lot of them were productively working normal jobs so I figured they were just trying to live out some distant Scarface fantasies. Live and let live, says Presidente.

I saw a crime-lord walking around the police station so I investigated. Maybe he got arrested, I think. He's a cop. A crime lord who is a cop...it struck me as so genius I still haven't killed him.

edit: also how do I make new dynasty members

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Alberto Basalm posted:

When a dictator and a secret agent love each others veeeeerry much...

Alberto Basalm
Nov 14, 2005

Seriously, where is the "Free Love" edict that has a harem of 40 women follow Presidente around. This game is unrealistic.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

4's DLC had a "Festival of love" edict that ruled. Also resulted in a higher birth rate.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Alberto Basalm posted:

I saw a crime-lord walking around the police station so I investigated. Maybe he got arrested, I think. He's a cop. A crime lord who is a cop...it struck me as so genius I still haven't killed him.

You get side missions for new dynasty members, and in theory you get sidequests for existing dynasty members, but I have no idea if that actually makes them any better at what they do.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here

FrozenVent posted:

You can still export a commodity if you don't have a trade deal for it; you just get the default price.

What, how, how do I do this.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Alberto Basalm posted:

Seriously, where is the "Free Love" edict that has a harem of 40 women follow Presidente around. This game is unrealistic.
That sounds really awkward and crowded, especially when you have to go to the little presidentes room.

Age of the Atomic Mom
Oct 15, 2009

Dirk the Average posted:

You get side missions for new dynasty members, and in theory you get sidequests for existing dynasty members, but I have no idea if that actually makes them any better at what they do.

One of my Dynasty members kidnapped the pope and now has than on their biography. I've already reached a max level Dynasty member from just sending them off doing quests every time I can.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Arsonide posted:

Rather than how, you can not NOT do it. It'll all be flushed out the docks whether you want it or not.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

My dynasty members never seem to level up on their own, and I realized way too late in the campaign that I could buy them levels... I might have to start over.

You export at market prices when your teamster drop poo poo off at the dock, and the freighter you don't control shows up and haul the poo poo away. It's the ship that docks starboard side to.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
My Dynasty members keep going off to America and becoming crimelords, or getting kidnapped in college and staging a coup and creating their own nations. I mean, I should be proud, but what about my cheevos? :(

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Arsonide posted:

Anything you produce, e.g. pineapples and logs, will be taken by your teamsters to any production building that uses them as a resource, e.g. your cannery and sawmill, or if needed as food then to food distribution centres. Any extra pineapples and logs beyond what your cannery/sawmill require will automatically be taken by your teamsters to the docks and will be sold to the next ship which arrives.

When you enter into a specific deal on the trade screen, all you're doing is agreeing to supply your resources to a particular nation for an increased price. Your stuff still gets sold automatically when you aren't in any trade contracts.

As Poil says, the more frustrating thing is that you can't actually STOP your excess resources from being sold. Which is a pain in the rear end if you were hoping to stockpile them and use them for future manufacturing.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

They still don't have the Mac version of this out, won't for a few months: no more gender-restricted jobs? Woo!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Was this a problem in tropico 4? I don't seem to remember it being a problem. Like if I had an industry that needed a resource it was never running short because I was selling it all. Then again most all resources were renewable, t5 seems to have a lot more finite resources.

az
Dec 2, 2005

The popcap can suck it, that's all.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

az posted:

The popcap can suck it, that's all.

What, even Plants vs Zombies?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

This uranium is for Tropico first and only:

P.S.: This actually works! At least for power plants. It doesn't work for factories since they still have to be connected to the main network for export.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Baronjutter posted:

Was this a problem in tropico 4? I don't seem to remember it being a problem. Like if I had an industry that needed a resource it was never running short because I was selling it all. Then again most all resources were renewable, t5 seems to have a lot more finite resources.

The only one I've had a real issue with is with uranium for a nucleur power plant. My teamsters shovel buckets of uranium to the docks and sell it because the plant has some, then a couple days later the plant has run out and I have to wait for more to come from the mine to resupply. This resulted in power outtages every month, so I just gave up and switched to geothermal.

Granted that part of the issue in my case is an insufficient network of teamster offices, but when they allocate delivery time to selling off my much needed uranium it is a bit of a slap in the face.

edit: haha wow, ok that right there is a great solution. Can the mine/plant operators still drive to work though?

Captain Mediocre fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 26, 2014

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Captain Mediocre posted:

edit: haha wow, ok that right there is a great solution. thanks.

You have to connect it to your main network temporarily to at least build the buildings (you need a mine, a teamster's office and at least one nuke plant) as nothing can build if not connected to a network with a construction office. Even quick building doesn't work if there's no constructor access. Afterwards you can just rip up the road.

Edit: no, wait, I'm stupid. You're only allowed a single nuclear plant. Idea still works though.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Alkydere posted:

You have to connect it to your main network temporarily to at least build the buildings (you need a mine, a teamster's office and at least one nuke plant) as nothing can build if not connected to a network with a construction office. Even quick building doesn't work if there's no constructor access. Afterwards you can just rip up the road.

Edit: no, wait, I'm stupid. You're only allowed a single nuclear plant. Idea still works though.
Well, it's kinda expensive and not exactly smooth but you can move it around. :v:

edit

One of the campaign missions have you being constantly invaded by pirates who keep attempting to burn down a couple of buildings and then leave disappointed that it wasn't full of loot if they succeed. You can pay money to reduce the number of attacks, but why would you want to? :allears:

Poil fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 26, 2014

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Welp, I just lost my first attempt at the sandbox due to some really weird bug. Basically the Axis invaded, fought it out with my military and eventually retreated again. Well, all of them except for a single tank that was stuck somewhere out of the way, shooting at one of my mines but apparently unable to actually destroy it. This somehow locked my island in a weird limbo state between at war/not at war. The tank remained there for about a decade, but none of my squads ever ventured out to fight it even though their manpower had been fully replenished in the meantime, so apparently they figured we were at peace. However, at the same time I also couldn't finish any new military buildings even with quick build, since the game considered me still under invasion. This wasn't much of a problem until I tried to advance to the Cold War era, causing the Axis to invade once more. At that point my (already inadequate) military decided to just keep sitting in their barracks while the enemy tanks leisurely drove up to my palace and blew it apart.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I know it's not ideal, but could you simply reduce the employment at a uranium mine so that it's not producing such an excess that results in exports? Like if you're nuke plant is using 1000 uranium a year but full mining employment is digging up 5000 then just reduce staff till it's more or less balanced?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

So I just figured out why you would use the Constitution option where only male citizens vote. Some buildings/options/managers convert small numbers of voters to vote for El Presidente. By cutting the voting pool in half, those votes count for a hell of a lot more.

Granted, at that point you should probably be running the option for only the wealthy to vote, but I guess male citizens voting is for those times when you're also bleeding the wealthy for every penny they have (or if somehow you make your entire island wealthy, like if you're running a tycoon).

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

So, "No free meals" edict makes your grocery stores and supermarkets vomit cash. Mix it with Social Security and make sure there aren't too many unemployed and suddenly your money problems are a lot easier to deal with.

Edit: Also, leave some space between buildings in colonial era for Historical Inns. Cultural tourists go ga-ga near old Catholic Misisons, Libraries, Opera Houses, etc. Though old colonial forts don't seem to help sadly.

minchar
Feb 10, 2013

well this seems lucrative

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Is there a point in tourism? The buildings are even more expensive than factories and nowhere near as profitable. Every tourist type has a smaller and a larger hotel building with the smaller barely making any money.

minchar posted:

well this seems lucrative
That's the Tropico way. :patriot:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Poil posted:

Is there a point in tourism? The buildings are even more expensive than factories and nowhere near as profitable. Every tourist type has a smaller and a larger hotel building with the smaller barely making any money.

Tourism makes pretty good cash with a lot less pollution, which is nice. It also tends to be less boom/bust than industry, since you're not dependent on exporting material from docks. Keep in mind that you can and should make tourist-only entertainment buildings in addition to your hotels, as those make tons of money off of tourists. My only complaint about tourism is that they seem to use the same docks as your industry, when I would prefer to have them shuttled to a corner of my island with less pollution and ugly buildings.

Honestly, it's a good side revenue booster, can be contained in one location of the island, and is a good way to employ uneducated workers.

In an unrelated note, I love the campaign storyline. [Major campaign spoilers] I haven't actually started the missions after you go back in time, but after being sabotaged by Isla Rojo and Puerto Coco throughout the game, it's brilliant that we're the ones responsible for sabotaging ourselves!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Dirk the Average posted:

Tourism makes pretty good cash with a lot less pollution, which is nice. It also tends to be less boom/bust than industry, since you're not dependent on exporting material from docks. Keep in mind that you can and should make tourist-only entertainment buildings in addition to your hotels, as those make tons of money off of tourists. My only complaint about tourism is that they seem to use the same docks as your industry, when I would prefer to have them shuttled to a corner of my island with less pollution and ugly buildings.

Honestly, it's a good side revenue booster, can be contained in one location of the island, and is a good way to employ uneducated workers.

In an unrelated note, I love the campaign storyline. [Major campaign spoilers] I haven't actually started the missions after you go back in time, but after being sabotaged by Isla Rojo and Puerto Coco throughout the game, it's brilliant that we're the ones responsible for sabotaging ourselves!
Sure. But the profits are so small and the set up cost so large. Having the docks blocked is kinda annoying too yeah. But it is really nice that you can force entertainment to be tourists only, it really helps.

More campaign spoilers, Sort of, but I have a feeling you'll fail every mission because you have to go through the other side of all the missions from the first time line.

Poil fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 26, 2014

bigzak
Aug 15, 2003
Man this poo poo freezes way too much

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

bigzak posted:

Man this poo poo freezes way too much

Man, I'm getting blue screens of death A LOT. I'm on my laptop which is an Intel i5, 6 gigs of ram and a 1 gig video card. It's not a powerhouse for sure, but I never had any problems with 4 running on max settings. It is very frustrating :mad:

That said, I am really enjoying the game when it works. Hopefully a patch will fix this??

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
This game keeps crashing for me in the character creation screen. Does anyone have an insight into why this might be happening/ what I might be able to do to fix it?

Edit: Hmm it may be some issue with ATI cards.

Talorat fucked around with this message at 00:13 on May 27, 2014

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Did the recent patch fix people's boatjams?

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

poopzilla posted:

Man, I'm getting blue screens of death A LOT. I'm on my laptop which is an Intel i5, 6 gigs of ram and a 1 gig video card. It's not a powerhouse for sure, but I never had any problems with 4 running on max settings. It is very frustrating :mad:

That said, I am really enjoying the game when it works. Hopefully a patch will fix this??

What error code do you get, if you actually blue screen it's probably not the game but hardware/driver/memory error or heat that's your problem.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

Fredrik1 posted:

What error code do you get, if you actually blue screen it's probably not the game but hardware/driver/memory error or heat that's your problem.

Yeah I get straight blue screens mostly. So I guess my laptop is just melting down :(

I've lowered the settings to medium and turned the water effects down to low and that seems to have helped a bit. But I guess it's time to build a new machine. :sigh:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

poopzilla posted:

I've lowered the settings to medium and turned the water effects down to low and that seems to have helped a bit. But I guess it's time to build a new machine. :sigh:
I hear you, man, hardware death is kinda depressing. Still, if you're in the market like I was recently, it's a nice excuse to get a modern GPU. The new Asus ones literally have heat coils built into them that only just barely fit into medium-sized cases :allears:

bigzak
Aug 15, 2003
Sometimes it seems like things just won't build. Building takes forever in this game and construction crews are useless. I'm pretty much just quick building everything

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Gah. Need more highschool graduates! You can't ever have enough highschool grads once you get to the Modern era.

I have 4 running now, all working at 275-300% efficiency and I STILL don't have enough highschool educated Tropicans, especially now that I have hydro-farms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

bigzak posted:

Sometimes it seems like things just won't build. Building takes forever in this game and construction crews are useless. I'm pretty much just quick building everything

Are you connecting your building sites to road? Even with just one construction office, it seems things go up in flash for me.

• Locked thread