Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1127161

Pubbies are finally catching on to how to avoid dancing to the discoball. Fortunately for people who do enjoy dance parties, there are ways around this childish reluctance to engage in social activities.

Apocalyptic Penguin posted:

Tried this game a long time ago and was really terrible at it. Think I will give it another try. Hoping to get access to the wiki so I can be a better spacemans. Registered as Snagglemaw.

You're in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

what

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

^^^ Ahaha that's awesome.

Anyone on NoP have a Mirror Vo'Quv they wouldn't mind throwing in the fleet bank?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It's impossible to tell if this is a funny person, or someone legitimately roleplaying a cat (based on what i've seen from STO's playerbase so far, either are believable) but I choose to think that this is a good joke.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime
Rip disco ball thread.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
And here is the sad, non joke version

I like the cat fart sound at the end

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

DonDoodles posted:

Rip disco ball thread.

At this point I'm surprised they don't just have an automated rule that prevents threads with subspace party amp/discoball in the subject being posted.

Midgetman
Feb 19, 2010
So is there any new gimmick to leveling currently? ive decided to pick this back up and want to level my klingon captain so i can gank people with my bird of pay

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Midgetman posted:

So is there any new gimmick to leveling currently? ive decided to pick this back up and want to level my klingon captain so i can gank people with my bird of pay

Story line missions and in between doff missions when you don't have time to play. I did 20-30 completely from doff missions during the course of a week.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Just playing the game at all will get you to 50 in a couple of days. Check out some of the revamped story missions, fly around doffing, run fleet alerts and sector defenses, all that poo poo.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

It took me less than a week to get my Romulan to 50 and I still ended up only doing half the missions. Its really easy to level.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Berke Negri posted:

It took me less than a week to get my Romulan to 50 and I still ended up only doing half the missions. Its really easy to level.

If you try to level exclusively through the story missions (the "episode" ones that go in progression), are there any gaps where you'll have to do filler stuff before the next episode mission becomes available?

I remember back when I originally played this, there was a gap around Romulan space where you had to grind patrol missions or whatever else to open up the next mission, but it seems like at this point they've added a lot more content, and also upped the xp rewards for doing it; I'm hoping you can just blast through without having to worry about it now.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, the game was horribly unfinished when it released, and there were big content gaps that were badly covered through lovely randomized exploration missions. Those have long since been closed up; there's way more missions than you'd need to hit 50, and that's before padding them with queues or duty officer XP.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
I ran into a gap when I levelled my latest 50 just because I skipped the entire Cardassian arc for being boring. It turns out if you do this you'll have to pick up one or two missions once you're onto the Breen/Task Force Omega stuff. I'd still recommend skipping the standard Cardassian content and picking up again at the 4400 missions.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

There's two or three Cardassian missions that aren't that bad. Big slogs of murdering dudes through generic corridors, but if you're doing those you need XP anyway so it's not like it's that bad.

But yeah, most of them are crappy, broken with bugs since release, or both. Oh god, the fire temple one... :negative:

Midgetman
Feb 19, 2010

Doctor Zero posted:

Story line missions and in between doff missions when you don't have time to play. I did 20-30 completely from doff missions during the course of a week.

Cool, do those hourly mission/event things still happen? i remember being able to level pretty quick using the mirror universe one but the missions page has changed a bit and it isnt there or as prominent any more

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Is the pathing in the fire temple still hosed beyond belief?

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

Bieeardo posted:

I found the pathing on Nimbus III to be pretty miserable.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Bieeardo posted:

Yeah, it's basically due to inherent flaws in the AI companion pathing that require either a complete rewrite of the AI or a complete redesign of the map. The former will never happen and Cryptic hasn't gotten around to the latter yet.

(Cryptic will probably get to it eventually though. It's the last stretch of quests that hasn't been revamped and cleaned up yet.)

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Buying contraband again. 10m/stack send me a mail or something if you've got some to sell.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Midgetman posted:

Cool, do those hourly mission/event things still happen? i remember being able to level pretty quick using the mirror universe one but the missions page has changed a bit and it isnt there or as prominent any more

No they scrapped the hourly events in favor of weekend events. You need to run episodes and doff to level.

faxmachine
Apr 1, 2007

Oh yeah....

Mondian posted:

Buying contraband again. 10m/stack send me a mail or something if you've got some to sell.

I have plenty to sell to you if you are still buying Wednesday.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Mondian posted:

How big is a stack?

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
250 contra. I have a few stacks I can send your way seeing as Frank has flooded the market.

Kosmicka Ljubav
Nov 6, 2013

eriktown posted:

How big is a stack?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Sometimes zone chat walks right into things.

quote:

Petrothian Tong@RedShirt192828: loli event is over right?
Petrothian Tong@RedShirt192828: err I mean lobi
Takt@captainprice4104: Sure you did.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
So I just learned something new and disturbing about Dukat.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
How does one obtain a discoball?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Subyng posted:

How does one obtain a discoball?

You just have to believe in yourself.

(And pay the GPL vendor on Drozana or the like 100 GPL)

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime
Our favorite TREK RADIO DJ, Suzanna of Darkwing, always known for her keen intellect, her tact, and her lackluster radio voice (she's no Grom), has decided that the time is right for another anti-disco thread, plunging the usual suspects back into the debate over the largest non-issue in the game.

quote:

To Boldly dance like a puppet on a string...
To mess up the screen, so you can't see a thing....

Is that what this game has become?

I would like to point out that some individuals and groups are using the "party amplifier"[disco ball] and other devices to flagrantly break some rules in Terms and Conditions that are clearly stated on the site -

I wonder how this will end.

Edit: We even have some picture evidence of evil Dental griefing:

DonDoodles fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 28, 2014

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

That's practically rape.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Acer Pilot posted:

That's practically rape.
Fixed that for you, griefing scum.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Did Cryptic ever fix up the old Romulan mission arc that the Federation does after wrapping up the Klingons?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Veotax posted:

Did Cryptic ever fix up the old Romulan mission arc that the Federation does after wrapping up the Klingons?
A little bit. The missions still suck, but the blatant bugs were cleaned up and the changes to ground combat when F2P went live meant you no longer lived in a purgatory of centurions constantly resurrecting each other.

Also, https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/readingrainbow/bring-reading-rainbow-back-for-every-child-everywh :toot:

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3
I really wonder if this type of person is even capable of stopping to reflect on what they're actually getting upset about. I'm thinking that the answer is no, probably not.

Goat Pillager
Mar 1, 2013
[Tell] DW-Suzanna@Darkwing-Suzanna: read this

[Tell] DW-Suzanna@Darkwing-Suzanna: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1128881

Seems she's having a forum meltdown finally, and has of course decided to report me for disco.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Goat Pillager posted:

[Tell] DW-Suzanna@Darkwing-Suzanna: read this

[Tell] DW-Suzanna@Darkwing-Suzanna: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1128881

Seems she's having a forum meltdown finally, and has of course decided to report me for disco.

Wow the people in that thread that associate party amplifiers with rape, torture, murder... This is why I don't normally read actual game forums.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

I finally made my catte. I hope there's another bonus XP weekend coming up because that's not going to be fun levelling.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

DonDoodles posted:

Our favorite TREK RADIO DJ, Suzanna of Darkwing, always known for her keen intellect, her tact, and her lackluster radio voice (she's no Grom), has decided that the time is right for another anti-disco thread, plunging the usual suspects back into the debate over the largest non-issue in the game.

I wonder how this will end.

Edit: We even have some picture evidence of evil Dental griefing:

Please tell me this isnt the actual resolution he plays at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Ludicro posted:

Please tell me this isnt the actual resolution he plays at.
Disposable pedocomps can only handle so much, you know.

• Locked thread