Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
Gonna wait for the codex to hold judgement on the GorkaMork. Are people thinking codex in two weeks or three?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:

Daedleh posted:

Was it Tablescapes by Secret Weapon? They're late delivering, but still seem to be on track to do so.

That's the project, yup! Still not commercially available, it looks like, which makes me sad. The scrapyard board is exactly what I want for my Orks to play on.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
MORE BATTLE REPORTS

So after our first game, we hit up Iron Hill Brewery, drank a shitload of beer, and ate a fuckload of food. Those Chili Cheese Burgers weren't "you'll need a fork" level sloppy as advertised, but they were still solid and Iron Hill makes some money summer brews.

Anyways, as a big "thanks" to Shadow Daishi, I picked him up some Space Wolves by trading with AgentDark and picking up a couple of things. After our first game, ANAmal.net and I helped him assemble the force:

1 Wolf Lord on wolf
5 Wolf Guard
1 Wolf Standard
10 Grey Hunters
10 Blood Claws

which amounted to about 850 points. After dinner, he teamed up with ANAmal's Dark Angels (gently caress fluff) against my Iron Warriors. Unfortunately, ANAmal did not bring additional heavy weapons so this game ended up being pretty lop-sided.

I brought an unbound list with the following:

Chaos Lord w/Power Fist
Chaos Sorcerer (ML 3)

5x Terminators + Reaper Autocannon
Helbrute

9 CSMs with Lascannon + Plasma Gun, in Rhino
9 CSMs with Missile Launcher + Meltagun, in Rhino

3 Obliterators w/Mark of Nurgle
3 Vindicators
1 Land Raider

This was pretty much all the Iron Warriors I have painted.

We picked a different mission this time, which used table edges for deployment and had each side draw 3 strategic objective cards, replacing any that were scored or discarded. Either side could score the objective marker cards for either side on their own turn, which was fairly interesting, but led to some similar problems with objectives getting drawn, then immediately scored because someone was already sitting on it.

This time we used all 6 objectives, adding the south building opposite the statue. The game lasted four turns, and I probably would have tabled them had it gone longer. Also it was like midnight so we packed it up. Still a fun game though!

Deployment:

ANAmal managed to clip one Vindicator for 2 hull points with his rending heavy bolters this game, and destroyed the weapon on another before the Terminators piled out of the Land Raider and started murdering his guys. The Obliterators didn't drop until turn 4 but by then it didn't matter much. Shadow Daishi's Space Wolves blew up a rhino with the sorcerer in it and nicked the third vindicator with an Assault Cannon. Then his wolf lord charged into the Sorcerer while the latter had that Biomancy Power that gives him +3I and +3A and got instadeathed by a force weapon when he failed his storm shield save. This exchange happened:

Me: "Ah, dude that sucks."
SD: "Whatever, that was p. rad"

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Chirurgeon, I'm going to join everyone else in saying that board looks awesome. It has plenty of terrain while still allowing you to move stuff without knocking 8 buildings over.

And thank you to Infinite Karma, LingcodKilla, Pacheeco, Jing2058, and AbusePuppy for the advice. I did not think of how fragile a 5-man squad would be, as I was blinded by the Black Rage. Found out my friend just bought a Riptide, so I may end up starting over. (Why is the Riptide a Monstrous Creature while the Dreadnoughts are Vehicles?)

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Because Crisis Suits have wounds instead of AV, and Riptides are just really big Crisis Suits. If he's bringing a Riptide, make sure you've got lots of Lascannons and Plasma to throw around.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
$105 USD ahahahahaha

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
^^^ $78 USD.

Tadhg posted:

That's the project, yup! Still not commercially available, it looks like, which makes me sad. The scrapyard board is exactly what I want for my Orks to play on.

I;ll be sure to take pictures once they do come in. It looks like they are leaving china at the end of the month, so another two months after that? Bleh shipping: you would think it would be easier to make it in the US and not deal with a boat getting kidnapped by pirates.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Re: punisher cannon. It was slop when it came out, that is what I am comparing the mega-kannon to: the disappointment of when it was released. In the same vein I still like assault cannons, they were crap in 3rd edition, became absurdly broken in 4th, then simply worth taking in 5th/6th.

Re: Orks. Why aren't you skipping transports all together and taking loads of Shoota Boys? I still don't understand why hordes of Shoota Boys aren't a list that is often discussed. That it is not fun at all to paint hasn't stopped Imperial Guard hordes, that it isn't fun to play hasn't stopped other horde players.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ghost Hand posted:

In actual play I have found troops to be even more precious now. Being able to own an objective when others are on it is golden.

It also eliminates the whole "Just kill off all his troops" tactic. (which I personally found kind of dull).

It may not appeal to everyone - but in the two games I've played so far, those troops units were awesome.

Fair enough. My reaction was pretty knee jerk. It's just that I remember list building back in the day when people took the bare minimum of troops.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

Post 9-11 User posted:

Re: Orks. Why aren't you skipping transports all together and taking loads of Shoota Boys? I still don't understand why hordes of Shoota Boys aren't a list that is often discussed. That it is not fun at all to paint hasn't stopped Imperial Guard hordes, that it isn't fun to play hasn't stopped other horde players.

Orks want to get into combat. If you foot slog you're getting 7-12 inches a turn with run. Or you can move+flat out a fast vehicle and move 24" or move+flat out a normal vehicle and move 18". This plus be immune to small arms fire until you're cracked.

EDIT: Guard can also gets to make blobs that can bring along effective ranged anti tank. Orks pretty much can't.
EDIT2: Guard can also make bigger blobs than Orks (:psyduck:) which doesn't make a drat bit of sense to me personally.

CyberLord XP fucked around with this message at 23:55 on May 26, 2014

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Post 9-11 User posted:

Some people don't want to run green tide but trukk/transport heavy? Marines, tau, and eldar have multiple builds, why not orks?

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
Holy poo poo, Stompa, Meka Dread, Mega Dread(s), Gork/Morkanauts, Deff Dreads, and Killa Kanz :orks101: . Walker lists are going to be even more hilarious now, if completely glanced to death.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

Holy poo poo, Stompa, Meka Dread, Mega Dread(s), Gork/Morkanauts, Deff Dreads, and Killa Kanz :orks101: . Walker lists are going to be even more hilarious now, if completely glanced to death.

We will see what happens with the KFF, but it should be an epic list. Are MANz bulky or extra bulky?

A Stompa filled with Gork/Morkanauts, each filled with MANz.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

LordAba posted:

We will see what happens with the KFF, but it should be an epic list. Are MANz bulky or extra bulky?

A Stompa filled with Gork/Morkanauts, each filled with MANz.

Orkception :v: Sadly the Stompa can't house anything but troops, which the Gork/Morkanauts most certainly won't be; though it would be hilarious for them to be DTs. If the rule stays the same, MANz simply count as 2 models--so 3 per 'Naut. I think there's a blurb in next week's White Dwarf about taking 6 Nobz, so there's that, too, though it has always galled me to pay 45 for a nob with a pk and no 2+.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

Chirurgeon, I'm going to join everyone else in saying that board looks awesome. It has plenty of terrain while still allowing you to move stuff without knocking 8 buildings over.

Thanks!

Sorry I can't get into Ork chat. I have one more post with photos, as I just finished my first assault squad.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

:gizz:

These are the best yet. Noticeably cleaner, nice details like the gem on the buckle and the wound on the aspiring squad leader.

RIP Sergeant, killed by a power fist because he did not have faith in his combat shield.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!

The most shocking thing about all of this is that Australia actually gets it cheaper than the UK.

I think I need to sit down.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Since I'd rather not brave the whinefest of DakkaDakka, thought I'd ask here:

What can Eldar/Dark Eldar bring in for their Lords of War? I know AM get Baneblades, Chaos gets that silly Lord of Skulls, but what about the space elves?

Thought I'd make a Nurgle Plague Tower from some bits and was wondering if it could be used for daemons/CSM, too.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Sykic posted:

The most shocking thing about all of this is that Australia actually gets it cheaper than the UK.

I think I need to sit down.

Truly an act of cunning brutality (or is it brutal cunning?)

e: vvv Zog me... that's bootiful.

Kaysette fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 27, 2014

lovestick
Feb 11, 2006

~30303030303~

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Da gun iz gud! Da peniz is evil!

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Sephyr posted:

Since I'd rather not brave the whinefest of DakkaDakka, thought I'd ask here:

What can Eldar/Dark Eldar bring in for their Lords of War? I know AM get Baneblades, Chaos gets that silly Lord of Skulls, but what about the space elves?

Thought I'd make a Nurgle Plague Tower from some bits and was wondering if it could be used for daemons/CSM, too.

Revenant Titan. 900 points. The only thing Chaos has is the Lord of Skulls.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Fix posted:

What about Chaos Warhound Titans?

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
At the moment, I have 3/4 an Imperial army (one Leman Russ) and half an ork army. Which should I stick to and which should I just sell? I was dumb enough to actually put em together, but I feel like keeping my Imperial army and give them flamers and grenade. I'll prob compile an actual list with points later, but I just want to know what I should stick with since I just want one solid army. Two would be too expensive.

Is this the same Ork walker that can hold 6 or so boyz?

for 65 quid it's a little uh...meh, really.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Fix posted:

Gah. Nothing cheaper points-wise? That's half an army by itself. drat Baneblades and their cost-benefit ratio.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

This this is amazing and needs to be in the original op. Did you paint this?

I think this is funny

So... if you play it that Grey Knight squads can choose to roll on Sanctic instead having to take their powers from the list in the codex then you have to let them do it for their Rhinos as well which is hilarious.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 01:34 on May 27, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Whoops sorry double post.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

TheChirurgeon posted:

What about Chaos Warhound Titans?

Not in Escalation. Neither is the Loyalist one, though unless I've gone completely blind (this is possible).

Never mind, found the Forgeworld list of additional Lords of War:
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/L/lordsofwar.pdf

Fix fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 27, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Oh neat how are those Daemonlord Guys they seem pretty cool.Where could I find those rules.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Does anyone have the Hamgoon locator map on hand? I'll be on vacation in Okaloosa Island in Florida for a week at the end of the month and wondered if any of you terrible nerds were within decent distance to show me through a game or two, or at least know of a "good" nerd store somewhere around there people play.
EDIT: I should explain that I haven't rolled any dice since... ~4th edition.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Does anyone have the Hamgoon locator map on hand? I'll be on vacation in Okaloosa Island in Florida for a week at the end of the month and wondered if any of you terrible nerds were within decent distance to show me through a game or two, or at least know of a "good" nerd store somewhere around there people play.

3rd post in the thread: https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=613438&add=1

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
drat, I looked right at it and missed it. Thanks!

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"
I don't suppose anyone has any idea how Shadow in the Warp is supposed to work? Are we just going to have to wait for a FAQ? Near as I can tell, a -3 penalty to Leadership in the old Psychic rules is kind of (?) the same as requiring 5s instead of 4s on a test now.

This is based purely on nothing at all, and I have zero math to support this.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

And thank you to Infinite Karma, LingcodKilla, Pacheeco, Jing2058, and AbusePuppy for the advice. I did not think of how fragile a 5-man squad would be, as I was blinded by the Black Rage. Found out my friend just bought a Riptide, so I may end up starting over. (Why is the Riptide a Monstrous Creature while the Dreadnoughts are Vehicles?)

The difference between a large MC and a walker can be rather tenuous; in the Riptide's case, it's basically "because the other battlesuits are not walkers, it isn't either."

If your buddy is fielding a Riptide, I would definitely say slip a Power Fist into that squad of Death Company. Riptides are scary in shooting and can be pretty fast, but if you get to assault one, that's basically game over for it. Your own Dreadnoughts will also do quite a number on it with their 5+ attacks that hit on 3s and wound on 2s. Monstrous Creatures got a lot weaker in combat with the new edition here, so in a lot of ways you're better off.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Squifferific posted:

I don't suppose anyone has any idea how Shadow in the Warp is supposed to work? Are we just going to have to wait for a FAQ? Near as I can tell, a -3 penalty to Leadership in the old Psychic rules is kind of (?) the same as requiring 5s instead of 4s on a test now.

This is based purely on nothing at all, and I have zero math to support this.

Well you see, the psyker has lower lead, so he may not be the highest in the squad anymore. Also you have to make a lead check if you perils, and that makes it more likely they get the bad result.

This is just as good because

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

AbusePuppy posted:

The difference between a large MC and a walker can be rather tenuous; in the Riptide's case, it's basically "because the other battlesuits are not walkers, it isn't either."

If your buddy is fielding a Riptide, I would definitely say slip a Power Fist into that squad of Death Company. Riptides are scary in shooting and can be pretty fast, but if you get to assault one, that's basically game over for it. Your own Dreadnoughts will also do quite a number on it with their 5+ attacks that hit on 3s and wound on 2s. Monstrous Creatures got a lot weaker in combat with the new edition here, so in a lot of ways you're better off.

Do you think the 7th Edition changes generally justify non combi-weapon kit for Marine Sergeants and the like?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I didn't play at the time but didn't Tyranids at one point have access to Biomancy? They should let them have that again. The Tyranid powers are kind of lovely.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
So I hear alot about this daemon summoning daemon poo poo, but what about land raiders filled with bloodthirsters? I want to see the coolest combos (not necessarily the cheesiest) that battle brother transports allow now.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Master Twig posted:

Well you see, the psyker has lower lead, so he may not be the highest in the squad anymore. Also you have to make a lead check if you perils, and that makes it more likely they get the bad result.

This is just as good because
I'm a little worried that any FAQ we get would not buff Shadow in the Warp, since the last White Dwarf had a blurb that was "Perils near a Synapse Creature is going to suck!" That seems to indicate that, yeah, it might just be a penalty to LD. I mean, that's alright, but it's certainly underwhelming.

On my end, I'm worried about what - if anything - they do with Daemon of Tzeentch. +3 LD when casting now does absolutely nothing. Aegis on Grey Knights does nothing as well, though that could easily be changed to Admantanium Will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Ok so going through all my old rescued models I'm currently working on, how does this CSM list sound for beerhammer? IDK point values, I'm guessing it would be 800ish.

pre:
Main Force -

HQ:
Nurgle lord on bike w/brand
Sorcerer

TROOPS:
5x csm w/ 1x melta, powerfist for champ
6x plague marines w/ 2x plasma, combi-melta for champ

Combined Arms (or whatever its called)-

HQ:
Sorcerer
Sorcerer

TROOPS:
I also have a rhino w/ havoc launcher but not sure who to stick in it. Powerfists are mainly because they look cool as poo poo. The sorcerers will join the csm units and do telepathy stuff, maybe? Fluff wise my crew is more of a bunch of relic hunters (pretty much just csm versions of the protagonists from Lovecraft's The Hound) so don't have lots of daemons hanging out, and I don't really like the new summoning poo poo.

I think I have enough noise marines to make a 5 man squad with a blastmaster if I give the rest of them boltguns too.

• Locked thread