Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Thanks for the info, Astro! You have been super helpful so far, I feel like I have the inside scoop. :3: I'm willing to wait for now, since the GNA button seems potentially soulcrushing. The only ones I don't think I'd ever be able to do are the ones that are less a keyword, and more an extremely specific sentence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

KentuckyFriedBonBon posted:

Thanks for the info, Astro! You have been super helpful so far, I feel like I have the inside scoop. :3: I'm willing to wait for now, since the GNA button seems potentially soulcrushing. The only ones I don't think I'd ever be able to do are the ones that are less a keyword, and more an extremely specific sentence.

No problem!

I have no idea how people write for those and not get a revision request... I assume they are vary lenient on the keyword use now that we don't need to include it in the articles. You just have to write in the general realm of the keyword.

They all get posted on those fake blogs, I found one of my dental articles on this on: http://dentalcoveragequote.info/

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Have things been slow over at DT this week? Haven't gotten an assignment since Saturday.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Shima Honnou posted:

Have things been slow over at DT this week? Haven't gotten an assignment since Saturday.
Maybe the holiday weekend?

I just got in on DT today. Sent in my W-9 and nondisc, got the Style Guide, Guidelines, contact sheet, etc, and I'll be returning my S&G form tomorrow (really wish it didn't take another trip to Staples two days in a row, but what can ya do). I'm reading over everything, but is there anything I need to pay special attention to (aside from the obvious confidentiality and meeting my deadlines poo poo)?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Poison Mushroom posted:

Maybe the holiday weekend?

I just got in on DT today. Sent in my W-9 and nondisc, got the Style Guide, Guidelines, contact sheet, etc, and I'll be returning my S&G form tomorrow (really wish it didn't take another trip to Staples two days in a row, but what can ya do). I'm reading over everything, but is there anything I need to pay special attention to (aside from the obvious confidentiality and meeting my deadlines poo poo)?

The only other big thing I can think of is setting your schedule. If you haven't yet, they'll send you your login information, just make sure you start setting up how many minutes of footage (audio or visual) you can handle on a day by day basis.

Obviously, you can never really mention any details about anything you see or hear, because you will likely be privy to behind-the-scenes or pre-release stuff, or even sensitive information. As a rule, I delete any video or transcription stuff I've got sitting around 3 days after the due date, per an answer I was given by the staff when I asked about how to deal with or dispose of the materials.

One big thing I can tell you right now is be aware of and be prepared to use Google and Wikipedia. I guarantee you'll need those; depending on what projects you get you might need to look up names, places, items, etc etc. If someone says a name and you can't spell it you try to find it, if they mention a place see if you can't find it to make sure you've got it all spelled correctly, whatever.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Speaking as a bonafide old timer: Yes.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
Little bit, but it's a weird time in the season.

Remember if there's something you know is filming, or something you like, find the name of the post production director if possible and send Sally the details. She loves feeding the sales folks.

But yes...it'll be better soon. Summer last year was like nothing, nothing, OH MY GOD ALL THE THINGS until pretty much Christmas. That's why you diversify. Which reminds me, I have another scheduling sheet to fill out because I've finally started sleeping again so I'm not like a zombie made of confused hate anymore, yay!

But yes, this is when we'll start seeing the bunches and bunches of rush work, because MTV is starting to ramp up again.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Shima Honnou posted:

The only other big thing I can think of is setting your schedule. If you haven't yet, they'll send you your login information, just make sure you start setting up how many minutes of footage (audio or visual) you can handle on a day by day basis.

Obviously, you can never really mention any details about anything you see or hear, because you will likely be privy to behind-the-scenes or pre-release stuff, or even sensitive information. As a rule, I delete any video or transcription stuff I've got sitting around 3 days after the due date, per an answer I was given by the staff when I asked about how to deal with or dispose of the materials.

One big thing I can tell you right now is be aware of and be prepared to use Google and Wikipedia. I guarantee you'll need those; depending on what projects you get you might need to look up names, places, items, etc etc. If someone says a name and you can't spell it you try to find it, if they mention a place see if you can't find it to make sure you've got it all spelled correctly, whatever.
1. My login didn't work, but I responded about that, so maybe it just hasn't kicked in yet. About how much should I expect? I've been eyeballing trying to get in about ~6 hours of work a day, six days a week (since I've got nothing else lined up, but want to avoid burnout), and assuming I can finish about ten minutes of footage an hour, and thus about an hour of stuff done a day, that puts me in a good place financially at even a $0.65/min average. Is this a realistic expectation, or should I expect to either get less hours, or work a lot slower than that, or...?

2. Oh, yeah, I got that. Worked with HIPAA and confidentiality and poo poo before, that's nothing new. The file-keeping I'll keep in mind, though.

3. Yeah, my trial/test footage caught me onto that quick enough, and I finally learned what those white porcelain souffle dishes are called! (Ramekins. They're called ramekins.)

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Poison Mushroom posted:

1. My login didn't work, but I responded about that, so maybe it just hasn't kicked in yet. About how much should I expect? I've been eyeballing trying to get in about ~6 hours of work a day, six days a week (since I've got nothing else lined up, but want to avoid burnout), and assuming I can finish about ten minutes of footage an hour, and thus about an hour of stuff done a day, that puts me in a good place financially at even a $0.65/min average. Is this a realistic expectation, or should I expect to either get less hours, or work a lot slower than that, or...?

2. Oh, yeah, I got that. Worked with HIPAA and confidentiality and poo poo before, that's nothing new. The file-keeping I'll keep in mind, though.

3. Yeah, my trial/test footage caught me onto that quick enough, and I finally learned what those white porcelain souffle dishes are called! (Ramekins. They're called ramekins.)

1. When I got my foot pedal in, I checked and my speed currently tops out at about 7 minutes of footage per 20 minutes transcribing. Less depending on if they want a timecode every speaking section (That's actually not been that common yet), quality of audio (I've gotten one job that was outside in periodic heavy winds which was a pain, especially since both subjects tried speaking over one another constantly for an hour), or thick accents (I've had a few with accents that were difficult for me, one of which I had to do QC on which wasn't so bad).

I've been putting in for 70 minutes a day, every day, except for wrestling days since I'm a PSP nerd and that's the only "This happens at this time to this time" show I watch, plus I like being in on the GDTs. So on Mondays I've been putting in for 60 minutes, and on PPV days like this coming Sunday I've been putting in for 50 or so.

For money, so far I've only seen the wages of $0.70 and 0.75 per minute of footage, neither lower or higher. For the amount of work I put in for that's decent. In two weeks I've already made more here than I did at my last garbage part-time job in total working there for like 2 months (Part time sucks). About the same overall pay as my last full-time job (Minus things like needing to gas up and poo poo), except for when work is slow, but hopefully that should pick up soon.

2: Good.

3: Excellent, don't forget those skills. I've had to look up towns, specific objects, people both past and present, companies, buildings, etc etc, I've even had to find the names of some of the speakers manually, which thankfully hasn't been too difficult.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Writers Domain is really messing with the queue right now.

So they removed all the articles available to write except for the ones due yesterday, which they have a good reason to do. Except now there is about 50 keywords to pick from.

Being able to write about virtually anything, and plug it into a keyword was really nice. I knew it couldn't last for very long.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I just got a good chuckle looking at a resume from someone listing their participation in a spelling bee as relevant experience. :laugh:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Shima Honnou posted:

1. When I got my foot pedal in, I checked and my speed currently tops out at about 7 minutes of footage per 20 minutes transcribing. Less depending on if they want a timecode every speaking section (That's actually not been that common yet), quality of audio (I've gotten one job that was outside in periodic heavy winds which was a pain, especially since both subjects tried speaking over one another constantly for an hour), or thick accents (I've had a few with accents that were difficult for me, one of which I had to do QC on which wasn't so bad).

I've been putting in for 70 minutes a day, every day, except for wrestling days since I'm a PSP nerd and that's the only "This happens at this time to this time" show I watch, plus I like being in on the GDTs. So on Mondays I've been putting in for 60 minutes, and on PPV days like this coming Sunday I've been putting in for 50 or so.
Is that 70 minutes of footage, or 70 minutes of work?

EDIT: Actually, if someone's available to talk over GTalk or Skype or something, I have a lot of dumb little questions I'd like to get cleared up.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 29, 2014

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Poison Mushroom posted:

Is that 70 minutes of footage, or 70 minutes of work?

EDIT: Actually, if someone's available to talk over GTalk or Skype or something, I have a lot of dumb little questions I'd like to get cleared up.

Footage. Any number you put in on the scheduling site is a request for an amount of footage.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Cool. One last question. On all the examples, the spacing goes like

code:
FILE#     00:00:00
SPEAKER MCGUY:  Words? Words, words... w-words. [LAUGH] Words.

SPEAKER MCLADY: [LAUGH] Words. Wards.

SPEAKER MCGUY:  [LAUGH] Wordable [PH].
etc.

But when I got my test-transcription returned, it was formatted

code:

SPEAKER MCLADY:  [LAUGH] Words. Wards.

SPEAKER MCDUDE:  [LAUGH] Wordable [PH].
instead, with extra spacing in between.

Which is correct?

Edit I lied. Actual last question, should I just copy the example invoice and change it to make it mine? Or is there a blank one somewhere that I can download?

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 29, 2014

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
If you weren't taught to double-space at the end of sentences and whatnot, teach yourself to. I was taught to do that when I first learned to type, so I didn't have to learn that.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Shima Honnou posted:

If you weren't taught to double-space at the end of sentences and whatnot, teach yourself to. I was taught to do that when I first learned to type, so I didn't have to learn that.
And what about between speakers? One blank line, or two?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
One blank between speakers unless the instructions for an individual project tell you otherwise.

Aside from a few basic formatting things like the double-spacing, what you have to do seems very project specific. You may need to separate a single speaker into paragraphs by topic or when you feel you can, or split speech up to be timecoded due to it running long. You may even get instructions to include timecodes every X minutes except NOT to split an answer - the longest single block of text I've written on a project so far was a 2000 word answer to a question that went on for about 12 minutes before the speaker was finished and I could timecode again. I've also had a few projects that demanded I include no timecodes whatsoever.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 29, 2014

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I just got a good chuckle looking at a resume from someone listing their participation in a spelling bee as relevant experience. :laugh:

Participated? They didn't even win?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Just "contestant"

Might consider them if my bosses start going all :supaburn: "Up capacity! Up capacity!" again.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010

Poison Mushroom posted:

Cool. One last question. On all the examples, the spacing goes like

code:

SPEAKER MCLADY: [LAUGH] Words. Wards.

SPEAKER MCGUY:  [LAUGH] Wordable [PH].
etc.

But when I got my test-transcription returned, it was formatted

code:

SPEAKER MCLADY:  [LAUGH] Words. Wards.

SPEAKER MCDUDE:  [LAUGH] Wordable [PH].
instead, with extra spacing in between.

Which is correct?

Edit I lied. Actual last question, should I just copy the example invoice and change it to make it mine? Or is there a blank one somewhere that I can download?

Your test file should not have come back like that from DT...and in fact none of my clients want that. Takes WAY too many pages.

But good job on caring about the style guide at all. Some people make it through the test and still wind up sending in whatever they drat well please for the first couple. Well...who am I kidding, that's not always the newbies.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
re: transcribing speed, expect to get faster as you do it more. There are some files that will slow you down (there was a major contract that came through recently that took a LOT longer than any of my other files), but it's not that long before you get to 25 mins of tape per hour, second editing pass included.

Don't get bummed out if you're not SUPER GODDAMN FAST to start out with. It takes some getting used to, especially with the various formats. I had a headstart on account of working relay for the deaf and hard of hearing beforehand, and even I was pretty slow on my first couple files.

You do settle in, though. So, godspeed, good luck, etc.

EDIT: and it's highly, highly recommended that you get a footpedal. Hands-free start/stop is really the best way to boost speed, period. I'm sure there's some folks out there who can manage it without a pedal, but it really does make life a whole hell of a lot easier, and it will improve your speed, overall, especially if you're on a file that requires you to rewind a lot.

EDIT 2: and if you can master revoicing (try it out while listening to the radio, just repeat a news announcer as s/he's talking) you can and will get a hell of a lot faster.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 15:11 on May 30, 2014

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Seconding a footpedal. Best purchase I've made in a while. It took some getting used to and some strain on the foot that first week I had it, but now I've got these really weird muscles showing through the top of my one foot and it doesn't bother me nearly as much to hold the pedal down or let go to rewind.

Footpedals, they'll make your work foot look weird but your hands go faster. It also helps that I was trained to type before I even owned a computer and could already do in the area of 90 to 110 words per minute.

EDIT: Between yesterday and today work's ramped up, which is fantastic because aside from a few particular projects, I've really been enjoying this job at DT. So here's to suddenly getting work orders for two 86 minute files and a 44 minute file :toot:!

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 31, 2014

Zorblack
Oct 8, 2008

And with strange aeons, even death may eat a burrito with goons.
Lipstick Apathy

Shima Honnou posted:

Seconding a footpedal. Best purchase I've made in a while. It took some getting used to and some strain on the foot that first week I had it, but now I've got these really weird muscles showing through the top of my one foot and it doesn't bother me nearly as much to hold the pedal down or let go to rewind.

Footpedals, they'll make your work foot look weird but your hands go faster. It also helps that I was trained to type before I even owned a computer and could already do in the area of 90 to 110 words per minute.

EDIT: Between yesterday and today work's ramped up, which is fantastic because aside from a few particular projects, I've really been enjoying this job at DT. So here's to suddenly getting work orders for two 86 minute files and a 44 minute file :toot:!

drat, you must have snagged up all the work. I put in for 1.5 hrs of weekend tape and nothing came in. I was just coming in to talk about the slow week, and say I'm probably going to dip my toes into some writing and maybe audition for an audiobook or two.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yeah, I didn't get anything at all today, but I have no idea if that's because I'm new and not set up yet, because they have no work to give me, or because I'm just not looking in the right place. :v:

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
We just got a load of new people to handle the summer work so yeah it' a bit thin on the ground for right now while they're getting tested. Don't worry, it's coming :-)

I hate double posting.

DT folks, I'm not on QC squad anymore due to pay being not as awesome as normal IC work but I think you all have my details if you have any questions or ever need anything. I've been around long enough to be working on like...everything. So let me know if you need something!

Slightly Used Cake fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jun 1, 2014

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
I just applied to Focus Forward so hopefully something will come of that but for Daily Transcript, do they really need a resume? I've had the same full time job for the last decade and haven't touched that poo poo in years. I was just looking for a little extra cash on my down time but if I have to make a God drat resume then I dunno if I'll bother with that poo poo.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
real edit: ^^^ if I get an application forwarded to me that doesn't have a resume I delete it. Native speaking proficiency in English does not translate to proficiency in English grammar.

DT pays around 60-100 cents a minute for you guys, right? What kind of accuracy percentage are they expecting at that wage?

fake edit: Same question goes for those of you with Way With Words. What's the accuracy a client can expect from their transcripts?

Jedi Knight Luigi fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jun 2, 2014

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

DT pays around 60-100 cents a minute for you guys, right? What kind of accuracy percentage are they expecting at that wage?

fake edit: Same question goes for those of you with Way With Words. What's the accuracy a client can expect from their transcripts?

DT here. I've been seeing either 70 cents, or 75 cents, per minute. 99% accuracy, but I've been working with files that come out to over 10k words at the moment so there's a little wiggle room. I've had to QC a couple files. Thus far, most of my QC mistakes have either been due to accents messing me up, or formatting issues with the weirder projects.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Shima Honnou posted:

DT here. I've been seeing either 70 cents, or 75 cents, per minute. 99% accuracy, but I've been working with files that come out to over 10k words at the moment so there's a little wiggle room. I've had to QC a couple files. Thus far, most of my QC mistakes have either been due to accents messing me up, or formatting issues with the weirder projects.

Thanks so much for the info. Wow, 10,000 words? Sounds like a verbose 90-minute movie or something.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Thanks so much for the info. Wow, 10,000 words? Sounds like a verbose 90-minute movie or something.

Two 86 minute files over the weekend, people who didn't have any clue how to handle an interview professionally. I'm not complaining, their wasted time is my money.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Unfortunately, I'm not real clear on my clients' accuracy expectations, I just know I've never breached them.

Client 1: Probably expecting 99% accuracy. Pay ranges $1.00-$1.20 per minute for standard interview stuff, up to $7 per minute for specialty clip reel type work, or $35-45 per 22 minute episode for as-broadcast work.

Client 2: More leeway on accuracy, as much of the work is light edit and non-American speakers. Pays by the hour, $16/$21/$26 depending on deadline. That's hour of actual graft, not hour of tape. I like these guys the best.

Client 3: Probably expecting 99% accuracy. Pays $1.50 per page, and her formatting means it works out to around $1.25-$1.50 per audio minute. I like multiple speakers here. :)

Royal Jeans
May 12, 2012
I'm new to any of this trying to make money online thing; so far I've only signed up for blogmutt. The articles are easy enough generally, I read the reviews of the customers and their rejected reasoning before I even try. Is the best way to filter through looking at the customer queue/easy of topic for you/customer history? I don't know what I should be prioritizing exactly.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Got my first assignment finally! It's a short one, but it's income, so :toot:!

Pedal's definitely helping, though it's gonna take a bit of getting used to.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Poison Mushroom posted:

Got my first assignment finally! It's a short one, but it's income, so :toot:!

Pedal's definitely helping, though it's gonna take a bit of getting used to.

Welcome to the team. Your foot will muscle up as you go.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE
Quick question for the Leapforce people: do they always email you when tasks are available for one of your projects, or do they just email you the first time once you've done everything you need to do to get started?

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Palisader posted:

Quick question for the Leapforce people: do they always email you when tasks are available for one of your projects, or do they just email you the first time once you've done everything you need to do to get started?

Back when I was doing this you did not get emails when tasks are available.

This can be fixed with this gem: http://www.rateraide.com/

Best 10$ I have ever spent on Leapforce support stuff.

With auto-accquire it will pay for itself in a week when the jobs are few and far between. Sometimes you have seconds to grab a task. This way, it grabs it for you.

EDIT: Now goes for 4.99 a month. Not as good of a deal.

No Gravitas fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jun 4, 2014

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE
Thanks! This is my first day so I'm still figuring out what I'm doing. Now I'm going to go celebrate my hour of work that actually took two hours.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Palisader posted:

Thanks! This is my first day so I'm still figuring out what I'm doing. Now I'm going to go celebrate my hour of work that actually took two hours.

It was that way for me too, at first.

If you are good, you will finish your tasks in half the time alloted. You will get there surprisingly fast. What I would do is I'd just "run the clock" until it was time to submit. I would read a book or work on my homework for four minutes. Never had a problem because of that, and while my performance wasn't great, it was good enough. Overthinking things for eternities did not increase my scores anyway.

Rateraide is great with an alarm to remind you that you should really get back to work and click that submit button round about... Now.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Yesterday, I was taught how to properly do non-interview in a transcription file.

Today, I learned to make sure to recheck all the timecodes after making drastic changes to a file, such as after condensing several minutes of non-interview content while learning how to properly do non-interview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorblack
Oct 8, 2008

And with strange aeons, even death may eat a burrito with goons.
Lipstick Apathy
Speaking on behalf of all transcribers and transcriptionists everywhere for all files always: Yes, please keep talking to that guy far off camera about whatever. Plan your day, chat about the weather, talk about how an event is going to go down, discuss sound levels... Just sit in front of that camera and talk about anything but the actual topic.

:10bux: :love:[NON-INTERVIEW]:love: :10bux: