Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

AndroidHub posted:

To test your might, I doubt there is any feeling better in dark souls 1/2 than beating a three one one, especially if you save the host for last.

I've been getting some pretty good 1v3 wins invading in the salt fort the last few days with a few attunements worth of force. If you can get them on the ledge near below the bonfire or right by the entrance to lost sinner it's criminally easy to just knock all their asses in the drink. I've also been getting some hilarious one-shots through walls with soul appease on solo hollow players I invade.

It would be one thing if it was DS1, but with finite orbs it just feels like a poor design choice and a waste of both time AND resources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

Seriously, why does the game not just disqualify worlds that already have two helper phantoms in them from invasion? What is the point? :psyduck:

Originally the entire point to invasions was to stop people who summon from breezing through the levels. That was the way they balanced coop, and if you wanted to just duke it out 1v1 you could do that too. Dark Souls 2 is in some kind of weird transitional period for how PvP functions in the series though.

I keep saying this, but it's not supposed to be fair. You want fair you duel.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Seriously, why does the game not just disqualify worlds that already have two helper phantoms in them from invasion? What is the point? :psyduck:

Same reason they let people summon during an invasion. Why should it be easy or even fair for the invader to wreck some one's day?

Besides, all the best stories come from those kinds of invasions. Like when I punished a guilty dude, his two phantoms, and the phantom he summoned in the Forest of Fallen Giants, or killed a gank squad in Iron Keep as Dio Brando.

edit:

argondamn posted:

There's nothing quite like parrying the host and riposting him while his two buddies desperately swing away as I drive my dagger through his heart.

Backstabbing phantoms the moment they are summoned into a world is pretty great too.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 02:00 on May 27, 2014

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

Originally the entire point to invasions was to stop people who summon from breezing through the levels. That was the way they balanced coop, and if you wanted to just duke it out 1v1 you could do that too. Dark Souls 2 is in some kind of weird transitional period for how PvP functions in the series though.

I keep saying this, but it's not supposed to be fair. You want fair you duel.

That would be fine if we lived in the era of Red Eye Orbs and Blue Eye Orbs, but Cracked is all we got so I'd rather not waste them on forgone conclusions.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

There's nothing quite like parrying the host and riposting him while his two buddies desperately swing away as you drive your dagger through his heart.

Rubellavator fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 27, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

That would be fine if we lived in the era of Red Eye Orbs and Blue Eye Orbs, but Cracked is all we got so I'd rather not waste them on forgone conclusions.

Then don't? It's not like you get anything out of normal invasions you couldn't get more conveniently literally any other way (even going to ng++ for covenant rewards is better than getting 500 wins). It's kinda the worst form of PvP in DkS2.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

If you get them at the beginning of a zone you can just wait for them to slowly die or get opportunistic hits in because helper phantoms can't heal during an invasion :getin:

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Control Volume posted:

If you get them at the beginning of a zone you can just wait for them to slowly die or get opportunistic hits in because helper phantoms can't heal during an invasion :getin:
Suddenly, the host casts Warmth.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Then don't? It's not like you get anything out of normal invasions you couldn't get more conveniently literally any other way (even going to ng++ for covenant rewards is better than getting 500 wins). It's kinda the worst form of PvP in DkS2.
I dunno, Bellbro and Ratbro areas are nice, but I like invading in other environments.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

argondamn posted:

There's nothing quite like parrying the host and riposting him while his two buddies desperately swing away as you drive your dagger through his heart.

And then while you're in the no iframes part of the animation you get poisoned by a dude with a twinblade and then get knocked off the edge before you have time to roll away. Also the host doesn't die because he's level 800.

...Don't invade Heide's at high sm (unless you got WoG).

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Dark Souls 2 is payback for all you dickwraiths invading me in DS1. Get hosed you reds :smug:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Invader tears are wonderful when they already have literally nothing to lose besides either 1 item or nothing at all. In Demon's Souls, invaders lost a level if they died to the environment.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Genocyber posted:

And then while you're in the no iframes part of the animation you get poisoned by a dude with a twinblade and then get knocked off the edge before you have time to roll away. Also the host doesn't die because he's level 800.

Three man squad. Host dual Avelyns, sunbro #1 dual Avelyns, third guy is Santier's.

:shepicide:

kazil posted:

Dark Souls 2 is payback for all you dickwraiths invading me in DS1. Get hosed you reds :smug:

I'm invading the reds :colbert:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Really, what would be interesting is if sin barred you from summoning player phantoms instead of hollowing further.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Three man squad. Host dual Avelyns, sunbro #1 dual Avelyns, third guy is Santier's.

:shepicide:

Hey, at least you theoretically had a chance. I was consistently invading some one in Heide's that was waiting right by Ornstein's door. I'd come in, he'd go into the boss fight and waste my orb. Six times in a row.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

kazil posted:

Gaze long into the abyss, and it also gazes into you.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

TGLT posted:

Hey, at least you theoretically had a chance. I was consistently invading some one in Heide's that was waiting right by Ornstein's door. I'd come in, he'd go into the boss fight and waste my orb. Six times in a row.

This is the other reason you don't invade Heide's at high SM. Or at least, don't invade by O's room.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

TGLT posted:

Theoretically is being generous.

I am not, in fact, a cyborg.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Genocyber posted:

This is the other reason you don't invade Heide's at high SM. Or at least, don't invade by O's room.

Blue Sentinel. You just kinda of invade everywhere at once. It seems like there's a range on it, but hell if I know what it is.

For some reason I just kept getting that dude.

Theoretically is being generous.

I am not, in fact, a cyborg.

get good, meat puppet.

edit:

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Host in a bell zone for an hour and you'll have a couple hundred thousand souls. And after about 7 million SM I'm finding my invasions are more than paying for themselves anyway.

I thought I read that blues don't get souls or something so I dunno about that though.

You get souls from killing phantoms but not from killing the host. Blue invasions are really just about the joy of ruining some one's fun.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 27, 2014

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Nahxela posted:

I dunno, Bellbro and Ratbro areas are nice, but I like invading in other environments.

Host in a bell zone for an hour and you'll have a couple hundred thousand souls. And after about 7 million SM I'm finding my invasions are more than paying for themselves anyway.

I thought I read that blues don't get souls or something so I dunno about that though.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
I guess that said I have been living in a world of infinite orbs since I strongly disagree with the new pvp model I think it's completely fair to bypass the horrible arenas and just edit in some orbs for myself (if you disagree with this ideology I don't really care or want to hear about it, plenty has been said already). And it's not like the arenas give you any soul memory :shrug:. I do hope they change some things about how you get orbs and how the arenas work though.

On a separate note, does anyone know if there's a list of the things that soul appease works on? I used it very briefly in my first playthrough for pve, but then I kept running into tons of things it just arbitrarily didn't work on (like royal swordsmen?). If I knew what I could actually use it on it would be great.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I'm no expert but I was under the impression that it criteria for things it works on is "anything so weak as to be not worth bothering using soul appease on".

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Nahxela posted:

Suddenly, the host casts Warmth.

And sometimes the phantoms will have heal, but both of these are relatively rare.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Okay, I guess my attempt at a Gigan costume set didn't work out after all. Kinda wish I tried on the first Malformed Claw to see what it looked like before I farmed up the second for dual-wielding.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Cyberventurer posted:

Okay, I guess my attempt at a Gigan costume set didn't work out after all. Kinda wish I tried on the first Malformed Claw to see what it looked like before I farmed up the second for dual-wielding.

Looks pretty badical to me.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

I'm no expert but I was under the impression that it criteria for things it works on is "anything so weak as to be not worth bothering using soul appease on".

I've found it very useful in a number of situations, tho it is rather odd what it does and does not work on. It makes a complete joke out of the royal rat Vanguard fight, makes Prowling Magus fight even easier, makes the ambush room in Harvest Valley go by like a breeze, etc.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Oh God, I feel so bad now.

I'm small-soaping for someone, and we come up to a chest. He's acting real nervous around it so I figure, 'ah, he must be a Souls 1 vet, worried about mimics.'

So I hit it (knowing that phantoms can't destroy chests) to show him that no, it's just a regular old chest.

He takes me hitting it as an indication that he should wail on the loving thing.

It shatters into pieces just as I'm fading out.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Genocyber posted:

I wish it was possible to 3-man invade against hosts that had 2 phantoms.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

TGLT posted:

I did this to bell people a couple times because it doesn't cost those fuckers a dime anyway, but this is just lovely to do to blue sentinels.

They're the one kind of invader I can sympathize with because unless you're murdering tons of characters for no reason or invading normally, you shouldn't ever have a reason for the police to come after you. It's pretty much only your fault if you're getting invaded by the polizei. It's pretty hard to get mad at the rat team too since it's just about the only covenant that puts them at risk.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

So the ancient dragon is complete bullshit I should just skip right? Ugh.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

You get literally nothing but a Giant Soul.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

Get Gower's Ring of Protection from the NG+/ascetic ghost forest and Bracing Knuckle +2, and maybe some repair powders for when Gower's gets close to breaking. Makes Ancient Dragon a hell of a lot easier, practically trivial if you have spells and herbs.

Also don't summon. Just don't do it, the boost in health Ancient Dragon gets is just not worth the risk of a lovely phantom.

Zero Initiative
Nov 6, 2013
Man. I want to be a unique little flower and make a build that stands out, but I really cannot get over simply having a mace for damage, longsword for versatility and dagger for criticals, with a shield and bow on the left, wearing the Elite Knight set.

It's versatile, but feels so rank-and-file.

Actually, now that I think of it, I should just rename myself Elite Knight.

EDIT After they fix the censors, of course. They'll fix it, right? Right?

Zero Initiative fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 27, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

TGLT posted:

Get Gower's Ring of Protection from the NG+/ascetic ghost forest and Bracing Knuckle +2, and maybe some repair powders for when Gower's gets close to breaking. Makes Ancient Dragon a hell of a lot easier, practically trivial if you have spells and herbs.

Also don't summon. Just don't do it, the boost in health Ancient Dragon gets is just not worth the risk of a lovely phantom.

That's just silly, you're making an area harder for no reward. Just skip the dragon if you want.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

Its complete BS, but its fun to throw BS back at him. Forget the gower ring method, just get a Gyrm Greatshield. Just need 16 strength to two hand it, and it has 100% fire block. The fire breath hits hard, but it doesn't have the rapid-fire strikes of normal firebreaths. The one where he flies up only hits twice, and that's enough for the shield to absorb before getting guard broken. Just keep baiting that and whaling on his paws/shooting lightning in his face and you're gold. Just don't try to block the firebreath sweep he does while on the ground, that hits three times and the third time will getcha. Use that opportunity to run to either side of his head and get more hits in.

Do it once to say you did, then never bother again.

Edit: just make sure to talk and get the plot item from it first in case you decide its not worth the effort. If you attack first, you gotta kill it and get the item to progress. Or maybe the pardoner might reset him, I never tried.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Ratbroing in the Doors of Pharros is cheap as gently caress... but it is so fun to stay chamaleon'd the whole time, just watching the invader against your traps and not even bothering to fight him. :3:

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Cyberventurer posted:

Wow. That's pretty cool.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Watching that Dragon's Dogma battle is making me jealous as hell since it'll never come to PC and my PS3 is on the fritz. :(

I also wasn't prepared for how aggressive the red phantom Sentinels are in Heide on NG+. Jesus Christ, they're wrecking my shieldless dude's day.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Cyberventurer posted:

I wouldn't want to have to fight anything that looks like that, which is perfect.

y_3
Aug 18, 2010

For Ancient Dragon stay at his right hind leg (from his perspective it would be his left) in between his toes. Move when he raises his foot to do a stomp. If he shoots flames under himself it won't hit you. When he flies up to throw up fire everywhere, run to and follow his tail. When he lands just repeat the process.

y_3 fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

After grabbing Flame Weapon for my NG+ pure melee who's favorite weapon is the Great Club, I decide to go to the Blue Sentinels area for some good old fashioned dueling!

Duel 1 - Infinite Health Hacker, disconnects partway through the match resulting in a draw
Duel 2 - Infinite Health FAT ROLLING Hacker, after backstabbing him 3 times he finally kills me, and taunts me.
Duel 3 - Very high soul level caster with crystal magic weapon, full armor, and this game's equivalent of pursuers.
Duel 4 - Katana wielder who runs away to heal after after the slightest bit of damage. It's really hard to punish Estus you guys! He wins due to time.

After 4 losses in a row, I change to my +10 Great Lance.

Duel 5 - I fight a spear using caster with hexer's hood, after getting nicked once I circle around and thrust him into a pit.
Duel 6 - I duel against the same guy, only this time he appears outside of my gate instantaneously and drops a fire storm; leaving me with a tiny bit of health. As I'm getting up I take damage and die.
Duel 7 - Santier's Spear user, I manage to get some early damage in on him; he runs and tries to estus; but he picked a bad corner and I slam him with single handed Avelyn's damage leaving him with a bit of health. We trade at the end leaving me with a paltry second victory.

Duel 8 - Fatrolling, Poison Pate's Spear using, Miracle caster. The fight quickly devolves into me running away to cure poison behind pillars while he runs to estus, with me doing the same shortly after. I manage to get a backstab in leaving me with a third win and an empty feeling.

Why do we do I do this to myself?

quote:

I also wasn't prepared for how aggressive the red phantom Sentinels are in Heide on NG+. Jesus Christ, they're wrecking my shieldless dude's day.

Yeah, a lot of enemies in this game don't like following the game's rules and these guys are one of them. Here's another fun enemy: The next time you beat Belfry Gargoyles go down into that little area with the dogs and fight the phantom there, get a great shield and block his attacks; now marvel at both amount of times he can attack, and his complete lack of recovery animation.