Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WraithMind
Jan 26, 2011

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Honestly I'm okay with all the memes. It makes the main character look like what he would be if he lived on the net like the game says he does: social inept rear end in a top hat that spouts memes instead of real humor.

The main character isn't nerdy or anything, he's the generic gravely-voiced fit straight twenty something year old white guy that make up 90% of video game protagonists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Charlie Brown posted:

Has anyone had this unlock on Origin?
My payment status is still showing as 'processing'.

Of all the places selling this, you chose Origin?

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

WraithMind posted:

The main character isn't nerdy or anything, he's the generic gravely-voiced fit straight twenty something year old white guy that make up 90% of video game protagonists.

I think he's like thirty. So it's a little different!

The cars drive like a block of ice that thought it was car, that could float when driving over trees. This actually makes it better because the bad driving used in service of hosed up physics makes it fun.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

WraithMind posted:

Sure, sure, but I don't know... I like to think that he is just a big neckbeard that happens to go to the gym every once in a while and as a result puts on a tough guy persona.

I know it's not real, but it makes it more tolerable for me instead of Nathan Drake Learns To Hack

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Speedball posted:

With or without hacking the camera to cheat? Mua ha ha ha ha!

You can do that? gently caress!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Of the PC version's 22 gigs, 9 of those gigs are taken up by 6 different languages, 1.5 gigs each. It uses up 7.5 gigs for language assets you won't use unless you like juggling languages. :ughh:

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

GreenBuckanneer posted:

You can only see the closest two guys' cards I think, and even then they don't lift them up high enough to see sometimes.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Enjoying it so far.

Shooting just kind of works, but I barely ever shoot anybody. Most of my fights are me tricking people to walk near explosives, then setting them off. Or hacking forklifts to crush them. Or hacking cars to run in to them. Or hacking doors to slam into them. The few guys that refuse to stand near stuff like that I just silenced pistol to the head, or take out in a knock out move. Has worked pretty much every time.

Maybe it's because I never drive the sports cars, but driving feels fine. Motorcyles feel 1:1 with any other driving game, and cars range from Sleepy Dogs style driving to GTA4 style driving depending on what you drive. There is a car for everyone, and once you find the car you like, you can just keep summoning them for free off the phone instantly.

Mission variety is pretty varied, although that might be because I'm basically still in the tutorial.

Everyone makes fun of Aiden, and he seems oblivious to it.

Game looks loving gorgeous on PC. Maybe not full 1:1 with the E3 stuff, but it's the best looking game on my PC by far in Ultra.

From talking to goons I know who beat it, it sounds like the story falls flat, but so far the characters have been largely well written, even AidenBatman. I'm at least interested enough to see what they do with the concepts presented in the early game.

The driving in 1st person is honestly much easier then the driving in 3rd for most cars. This combined with the ambient conversations, the hacked ambient conversations, the texts, and the voicemails you can hear really makes the world feel somewhat realistic. It's probably the runner up for most immersive open world game I've played so far.

Amusingly, the two things goons can't stop talking about in this thread, the memes and the songs are a nonissue. You find more songs by stealing them from peoples ipods, and end up with 50-60 or so by the end of the game. I've already got 12 new songs, on top of the 20 I started with. And the memeguy is presented as a total loving idiot, who you eventually kill, much to everyone's enjoyment.

Multiplayer is loving hilariously fun, because you can invade/be invaded at any time ( outside of a mission ). Nobody is trying to kill each other, just get close to each other, so it becomes this hilarious game of cat and mouse, as the host tries to catch the invader, and the invader tries to avoid the host in a way that doesn't look suspicious. Both parties get rewarded for participating, and as someone who loathed Dark Souls PvP, this is something I'll gladly keep on, and encourage others to leave on as well. It's just oddball fun.

I went in expecting total poo poo because I didn't pay attention to the E3 stuff, and read this thread for the past day. It's not going to be my favorite open world game or anything, but it was worth the $60, and it'll be a fun game to play for the next week or so.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

If you look at your cards you also get the probability of the hand winning as well as monitoring one of your opponents stress levels.

Charlie Brown
Oct 4, 2000

Infiltrates Your Skull

comatose posted:

Of all the places selling this, you chose Origin?

For £16, I can tolerate it!

illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

Sweat, Ubu. Sweat. Good paranoid schizophrenic.
Comes out at midnight and no reviews yet. That means it's good right?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

DemonMage posted:

Where are these INI settings? I must have missed seeing that and it's not in the OP.

The PC version by default has crazy input lag with mouse and keyboard.
To fix this head over to My Documents\My Games\Watch_Dogs\<a bunch of numbers and letters that are your user id>\ and open GamerProfile in your text editor of choice. In the 9th line of the file, change Sensitivity="0.9" to Sensitivity="1.0" and Smoothness="1" to Smoothness="0" and it should fix it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

illiniguy01 posted:

It means it's a game in 2014.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

illiniguy01 posted:

You understand review embargoes?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL98zhe-frg

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Game of the Year.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I'm liking it so far gameplay wise, but the story seems kinda disjointed? Like they took an entire act out of the game at the beginning.

The hacking turning the environment into a puzzle is neat and refreshing. Also I'm playing this more stealthy and less "loud" compared to most GTA-ish games.

Also, the soundtrack is godawful, and yes, I have unlocked a lot more songs. The thing I always liked about GTA games is that I could find some stations I liked (Sleeping Dogs, too!). This is just a mess. I wish they'd just pull a GTA and let us add our own songs.

Do I have to beat Act 1 to get the player invasions?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Cool thing I noticed:

Audio in the game seems pretty low, but if you change the camera while driving to inside the car, the volume of the playing music goes up. Neat little touch.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Snuffman posted:

Do I have to beat Act 1 to get the player invasions?

Not all of it. You get a scripted invasion early on and then invasions are unlocked in general.

There's actually TWO kinds of invasions: hacking which is finding a good hiding spot while the guy is notified you exist and searches you out, and "trailing" which has you simply tailing another player doing their thing and attempting to not get their attention at all.

Psygnosis
Jul 30, 2003
Multiplayer is interesting but, it takes so long to connect to other people just for the 1v1 hacking.
Hopefully more people will show up in a few days.

I've played the game for hours and have yet to fall into the ground. How does this guy do it :confused:

Snuffman posted:

I'm liking it so far gameplay wise, but the story seems kinda disjointed? Like they took an entire act out of the game at the beginning.

Also, the soundtrack is godawful, and yes, I have unlocked a lot more songs. The thing I always liked about GTA games is that I could find some stations I liked (Sleeping Dogs, too!). This is just a mess. I wish they'd just pull a GTA and let us add our own songs.

I think the licensed songs suck but the instrumentals made for the game are pretty cool. Especially whatever song is used for the fixer contracts.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Check out the historical hotspots guys. A lot of this crap is just shocking, I had to check to make sure they weren't making it up when they described the "Murder Castle" where a doctor trapped hundreds of people in his Death Mansion.

Also I donated machine gun bullets to the Valentine's Day Murder hotspot. I think I'm a horrible person.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

A thing that literally none of the bunches of streamers has shown happened, clearly the entire game is busted and unplayable.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Speedball posted:

Check out the historical hotspots guys. A lot of this crap is just shocking, I had to check to make sure they weren't making it up when they described the "Murder Castle" where a doctor trapped hundreds of people in his Death Mansion.

Also I donated machine gun bullets to the Valentine's Day Murder hotspot. I think I'm a horrible person.

I assume you mean H.H. Holmes during the Chicago Worlds fair in 1933 or something. Cool they have it in the game but it's not that obscure.

^^^^ Huh? We've known that the game was worse than Adolph Stalin-Pot for well over a month now. How could that video possibly be wrong??

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

As somebody who lived just outside of Chicago growing up, I'm now looking forward to checking out the accuracy of this new tourism simulator.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHoOr1kLbAg

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Crappy Jack posted:

As somebody who lived just outside of Chicago growing up, I'm now looking forward to checking out the accuracy of this new tourism simulator.

Yeah, it doesn't actually DO much but it's fun to check out landmarks and historical blurbs. For some reason you can donate or accept gifts to other players at these hotspots.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

Brony channel warning that stuff man.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Apparently that guy is playing without the day one patch.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

That is some remarkably oblivious AI. Well, maybe not by the standards of most shooters, but still.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Is there a 1080p patch in the works for PS4 like with AC4?

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Question for the people who have it right now, how, exactly, do you turn the invasions off?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
edit: ^^^ It's under game options, it straight up says something like "Online Invasions on/off" It gives you a warning that turning them off disables your notoriety skills, but all of those skills provide bonuses to online play, so you're not really losing anything if you choose not to participate in invasions.

Opinion based on a few hours of play:

Graphics are pretty good, but nothing revolutionary. Running on medium at 1200p with an i7-4770 and an HD 6950 with no issues aside from one area that randomly dropped to 20-30 FPS. Beyond that everything is smooth and playable.

One thing that I really liked was that there's so much little detail in the world. The streets are lined with all kinds of little things like mailboxes, trash, etc that make them feel alive. The rain/storm effects look really nice, and you can recognize the actual city of Chicago pretty easily.

Gameplay-wise, it's a solid open world cover shooter with hacking as its gimmick. Gunplay is satisfactory, though nothing particularly exciting. Most missions could be solved going in guns blazing, but you're pretty squishy before leveling up a bit and it's often easier to hack your way in instead. For some missions, you can literally sit across the street perfectly safe while you jump from camera to camera, messing with guards and environmental objects until you reach your goal. There was one mission where I had to hack a door to step foot on the property, but after that I sat in a corner. First I had to look for a specific guard to steal his passcode from his phone, then I had to hack the server with it. I jumped from camera to camera and eventually got the guard's code, but there was no camera that pointed deeper into the building. One guard sitting next to the server had a camera on him, but he was facing the wrong way. So I tripped an alarm to make him face the server, then jumped to his camera, then onto the server itself. It was pretty neat.

Driving is... eh. The best comparison I can make would be to GTA 4. All but the lightest sportscars feel very hefty. They're slow to turn, slow to accelerate, and easy to spin out. There's a fair amount of driving in this game between dedicated car missions, driver side missions, and missions where the police or gangs chase you after you did something to draw their attention. It's pretty loving hard to shake cars off your tail just by driving. There were several times where I found it easier to stop and get into a shoot out with 10 guys rather than trying to shake them off my tail.

There seems to be plenty of stuff to do. The main plot looks like it will be decently long, with 8 acts. The first act has 9 missions in it. Beyond that, there's side missions like stopping crimes, taking out gang leaders, intercepting criminal convoys, and doing driving/fixer misisons. Then there's the ctOS servers to unlock, the ctOS towers to unlock (think viewpoints in AC), and all the collectibles and poo poo. Then there's the digital trips. And then there's multiplayer.

Overall, if you like open world games that offer a wide range of activities like Assassin's Creed or GTA, you'll probably like Watch_Dogs. If you were looking for something revolutionary, this isn't it. The hacking is a pretty decent gimmick that's a welcome addition to the regular shooting and driving gameplay, but this isn't primarily a hacking game.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Javes posted:

Is there a 1080p patch in the works for PS4 like with AC4?

AC4 was a bug. This is intentionally 900p or whatever it is,

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Cantorsdust posted:

There were several times where I found it easier to stop and get into a shoot out with 10 guys rather than trying to shake them off my tail.

You're supposed to use hacking, driving into alleys, and hiding in vehicles all in combo to escape and evade. Just straight driving isn't going to cut it.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

1stGear posted:

You're supposed to use hacking, driving into alleys, and hiding in vehicles all in combo to escape and evade. Just straight driving isn't going to cut it.

Yeah, I came to figure that out. But my point was mostly just that in comparison to the GTA games, it is nearly impossible to outdrive the AI. Which does feel a little bullshitty to me.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Cantorsdust posted:

Yeah, I came to figure that out. But my point was mostly just that in comparison to the GTA games, it is nearly impossible to outdrive the AI. Which does feel a little bullshitty to me.

I assume you're excluding GTAV from this rule because the cops in that game were straight-up impossible to avoid if you just picked a straight road and took off, you basically had to stash your car like you were planning to surprise your wife with it later.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Speedball posted:

H.H.Holmes' rooming house? Yeah, this guy would've made Hannibal Lecter puke.

Edit: There are also the Cabrini-Green projects: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabrini%E2%80%93Green. Not mentioned in the article is how it was the partial inspiration for the "Bloody Mary" urban legend, and consequently the movie Candyman.

Lars Blitzer fucked around with this message at 04:35 on May 27, 2014

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Should be up in 20 minutes on PSN.

CapnBiggles
Jan 12, 2004

James Bigglesworth, Defender of the Skies, the Commonwealth, and the Common Good
This is absolutely the most divisive PC gaming purchase I've considered in months. I'm hovering on whether or not my lowered expectations are worth $60.

EDIT: gently caress it.

CapnBiggles fucked around with this message at 04:47 on May 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Really liking the game thus far, more for the little details than the big mechanics. However, the constant hitching during driving sections is brutal and is making it hard to play. Here's to hoping for a fast patch.

E. Updated my nvidia driver and it helped quite a bit. Not perfect but helped

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 27, 2014

• Locked thread