Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Sentinel Red posted:

Jinkies, a Manics reference in a Marvel book and it's not written by Gillen? How peculiar. Anyway, I dug Secret Avengers, it's endearingly absurd, what with the Coulson PANICFACE, Widow CYOA, and Jess talking to a suicidal reality bomb.

I love the art. Especially the scene where Jess asks the bomb if it has ever tasted caramel gellato.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Soonmot posted:

I love the art. Especially the scene where Jess asks the bomb if it has ever tasted caramel gellato.

I do not think the book would work as well as it does without the bit of cartoony art. The book is just so fun.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
God, there have been so many crappy Avengers stories that it was wise to keep the Marvel writers away from the movies.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Baron Bifford posted:

God, there have been so many crappy Avengers stories that it was wise to keep the Marvel writers away from the movies.

But a marvel writer did write the Avengers movie. Also Thor 2.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh man, like an idiot I just realized that the runaway planet from Avengers #24 was probably launched to destroy Earth abs stop the incursions. So there's also a threat within 616 that is also aware of the incursions.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 15, 2014

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
I love that there's a book out there that namechecks Jacques Derrida, and then gives said Derrida analogue a gun that deconstructs reality by literally erasing stuff from the comic. Secret Avengers is loving great.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Oh man, like an idiot I just realized that the runaway planet from Avengers #24 was probably launched to destroy Earth abs stop the incursions. So there's also a threat within 616 that is also aware of the incursions.

I had figured it was sent from the future to stop the Illuminati from turning into the Big Bads of the story.

Guess where they jumped to with the time gem shenanigans.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

Yeah, whoever said it in the comic had a great point in saying Cap's argument was just hoping.

Cap did have an argument though, even if that argument was as vague as "find another way". If you notice in the flashbacks, the other illuminati members decided pretty quickly that as soon as the Gauntlet was gone, that was it for their non-planet-busting solutions. I mean granted, if the Infinity Gauntlet busts while trying to fix the problem, that's a little disheartening, but it's honestly not like the Gauntlet is the only all powerful super trinket Marvel's got that the Illuminati could get their hands on. Even if the illuminati would've, for example, told the other Avengers what was up, they could've gotten Banner in on things sooner, and that's one more super-scientist (they also would've had Spider-Ock for a while, for whatever he'd add). I mean, it's kind of strange that when you compare this to Hickman's FF, Reed seems to be regressing. Back in FF, when he realized he couldn't do everything on his own to face the Council of Reeds, he got a panel of whoever he possibly could, right down to Doom himself. Now in NA, when facing down another threat that is potentially even worse, he's going and locking himself in the basement with his science club being as secretive as possible.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 16, 2014

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Dooms solution to incursions would probably be "kill every other earth that exists to preserve latveria" which is kind of not the one that they are looking for i think. Or it would be "evacuate latveria and destroy the earth". also not a great solution

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
New Avengers ends the volume with Cap, Doom, an alternate reality SpOck, Ultimate Reed and Groot highfiving each other and telling the illuminati to suck it as they activate their anti-doomsday device to save everything.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

jsoh posted:

Dooms solution to incursions would probably be "kill every other earth that exists to preserve latveria" which is kind of not the one that they are looking for i think. Or it would be "evacuate latveria and destroy the earth". also not a great solution

That appears to be T'Challa's solution at this point too though. Or at least what he's being told by the Black Panther ancestors.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

TwoPair posted:

I mean, it's kind of strange that when you compare this to Hickman's FF, Reed seems to be regressing.

That seems to be the general trend for all the members of the Illuminati. Stark has once again become the weapons manufacturer who believes strength of arms can save the world. Strange is letting his arrogance lead him to a fall, just as it did in his origin story. Beast has turned away from Xavier's original dream of peaceful coexistence and has focused on survival through any means, just as he did during the time of x-tinction.

Banner's inclusion into the team is also pretty interesting. When the question is "How do we save the world?", he's often excluded because the danger of the Hulk often outweighs his contribution as a problem solver. But now that the question has switched to "How do we destroy a world in order to save our own?", his more destructive half suddenly becomes an attractive asset. Banner's genius, of course, is what forced the Illuminati's hand into including him, but I think Tony would want him around anyway in this situation because there is always the World Breaker if intellect isn't enough.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
So, uh, whatever happened with that time Tony and Uatu found the Living Tribunal dead on the Moon in New Avengers?

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Gatts posted:

I had figured it was sent from the future to stop the Illuminati from turning into the Big Bads of the story.

Guess where they jumped to with the time gem shenanigans.

Stark had concluded that the planet had been 'shot' at Earth a long time ago, so it wouldn't have been from the future.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Stark had concluded that the planet had been 'shot' at Earth a long time ago, so it wouldn't have been from the future.

And it was questioned. Shot from the future in the past and came in on the present. Should say the party responsible is from the future.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

That NA issue was a bit of a cocktease, but it was still a good read.

Avengers was so loving good. Nthing that it was a lot more organic and in-character than Civil War, I was just thinking that while reading it.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Not really surprising since Hickman mentioned it but Marvel are already hyping up the end of his run in a years time . Starting with some time skipping in September.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Isn't that where Cap just jumped to in Avengers?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

^burtle posted:

Isn't that where Cap just jumped to in Avengers?

Nawp, that's 48 years later, probably a kind of Days of Future Past scenario.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I just caught up with the latest issues.

Is Tony having the bandage on his nose supposed to show New Avengers is after Avengers, or did something happen in a previous NA issue I forgot?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Aphrodite posted:

I just caught up with the latest issues.

Is Tony having the bandage on his nose supposed to show New Avengers is after Avengers, or did something happen in a previous NA issue I forgot?

Pretty sure its just to indicate that it takes place after Avengers.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

hope and vaseline posted:

Nawp, that's 48 years later, probably a kind of Days of Future Past scenario.

It's probably the timeline that planet was fired from.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
It appears the latest New Avengers takes place after Avengers #29, since Tony has the bandage and is particularly mentally undone. From the end of Avengers #29, did it appear that just Cap was transported by the time gem, meaning his whereabouts are currently unknown to the rest of the team? Or do we think everyone present was transported and they have all already returned to the present by New Avengers, even though what they see in the future won't be known to the reader until subsequent issues of Avengers?

Gymer
May 30, 2012
Has anybody else been reading Avengers World because personally as of issue 6 the invincible A.I.M.pire is getting pretty grating.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Gymer posted:

Has anybody else been reading Avengers World because personally as of issue 6 the invincible A.I.M.pire is getting pretty grating.

The AIMpire has been grating for a while now, in every book they've been in. Like, I don't think they should be loving jokes, but there's a sweet spot the organization should be at (in my mind) between "ineffectual beekeepers" and "unstoppable master planners".

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gymer posted:

It just seems that way because each issue is working on about one character and their relation to the story. But it looks like Hyperion is about to wipe them all out so all is good.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Codependent Poster posted:

It just seems that way because each issue is working on about one character and their relation to the story. But it looks like Hyperion is about to wipe them all out so all is good.

I don't know. The last time a flying brick took on an island of Mad Scientists was Black Adam in 52. And we all remember how that one ended.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

With a kick-rear end set of boots?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Gymer posted:

read the first issue, couldn't get into it. Particularly with Hickman killing it on the two Avenger titles.

Psychlone
Sep 3, 2004

It's never straight up and down!

Gymer posted:

I'm reading it. I'm liking the focus on the less iconic characters so far. Smasher is a lot of fun!

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I already posted in the BSS Chat thread, but you guys should really check out Mighty Avengers this week. It's dealing with some parts related to Original Sin that people have been curious about Uatu's wife and child and the Land art is probably the best single book I've seen from him. Seriously, if you've been putting this book off because of his art, you should really flip through it this week.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Avengers #30 answered a lot of my issues of when this is happening in relation to NA.

Also, Old Clint best Clint.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Avengers #30 answered a lot of my issues of when this is happening in relation to NA.

Also, Old Clint best Clint.

Original Sin is turning out really good so far.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Well Avengers 30 totally spoils an ongoing Hawkeye solo series mystery.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

notthegoatseguy posted:

I dunno I can imagine Hawkeye lying to himself.

EDIT: BTW I forgot to mention that Mighty Avengers references Nextwave this week.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

notthegoatseguy posted:

It might not have been a spoiler if the series came out on time.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"
I'm just getting back into comics after a long absence (last time I read monthlies, I was a teenager in the mid to late 90s, and that was mostly X-men stuff). I've recently started reading Avengers and New Avengers and absolutely love them.

Are there any previous Avengers storylines that I should be checking out? (preferably ones that I can get in TPB or GN form?)

Also, are there any Avengers related podcasts I should check out (I am thinking something like Rachel & Miles X-plain the X-men, but for the Avengers instead)?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

There's really nothing like Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers besides..well, Hickman's other works. There's his Fantastic Four v1 omnibus which should still be available, which collects the FF: Dark Reign mini all the way up to the first 6 issues of FF. Volue 2 of it comes out November 2014, which presumably collects the rest of the run.

There's a couple of references to what happened there and it tying a bit into A/NA.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

notthegoatseguy posted:

There's a couple of references to what happened there and it tying a bit into A/NA.
The Bridge that Reed constructed is certainly a main connection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Senor Candle posted:

I already posted in the BSS Chat thread, but you guys should really check out Mighty Avengers this week. It's dealing with some parts related to Original Sin that people have been curious about Uatu's wife and child and the Land art is probably the best single book I've seen from him. Seriously, if you've been putting this book off because of his art, you should really flip through it this week.

I greatly enjoyed the issue considering it was a tie-in, the Ulana stuff was good and her need for Brashear was lovely, and as for Land deciding Blade looks like Keith David..ridiculous as it is I honestly don't have a problem with it because Keith David owns everything.

• Locked thread