Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Kelp Plankton posted:

Yeah, they've shown what it looks like too. It's not a Gamecube controller, it's a "Wii U Wired Fight Pad".

No c-stick, no d-pad. It'd be okay for stuff like Street Fighter, but not really a replacement for the GC controller for Smash Bros.

Im very upset about this being a fight pad and not a GC controller

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
How do you taunt without a D-pad? 0/10

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Nintendo's insistence that they know better than their fans is both the best and worst parts of the company.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

That's an old controller they've been selling for ages, not the new one they recently announced. They have a version of that design for multiple consoles, and the Wii one has been around a while already.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Edit: nvm then. Not the real deal.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 27, 2014

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Supercar Gautier posted:

That's an old controller they've been selling for ages, not the new one they recently announced. They have a version of that design for multiple consoles, and the Wii one has been around a while already.

Oh okay, my mistake. I saw an article claim that this was the one they announced. I hope the real one is basically a Wavebird for the WiiU.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Kelp Plankton posted:

Oh okay, my mistake. I saw an article claim that this was the one they announced. I hope the real one is basically a Wavebird for the WiiU.

According to the press release, the new one is still going to plug into a Wiimote and function as a Classic Controller, but we haven't seen what it looks like yet.

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
Yeah that controller is a different thing entirely compared to what we're actually getting(I don't really know what exactly the controller looks like, but it's certainly not that)

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Thank goodness. Anyways what is up with that stick, does it actually work better without a stick to the stick or is it a pain to use?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Supercar Gautier posted:

According to the press release, the new one is still going to plug into a Wiimote and function as a Classic Controller, but we haven't seen what it looks like yet.

That's a real shame, the Classic Controller's weight feels awful and being tethered to a wireless device feels really weird (also buying batteries sucks). They should just make a Pro-style standalone GC controller.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I remember this being linked once:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BS520SG

If anyone has it, how well does it work?

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Suspicious Cook posted:

I remember this being linked once:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BS520SG

If anyone has it, how well does it work?

It's not great. The way you plug the game cube controller is super loose. Then there's times where it doesn't register your button presses. Then you have to like, press start either a lot or only once for it to work.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I wish I could just use my Wavebird for everything. Wavebird my be the best non default controller ever.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
"Best non-default controller" may be damning with faint praise.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell
When Brawl came out I was not exactly a hardcore smasher, so I didn't mind switching over to the Wii-mote. Now I've gotten pretty good with it and it is the worst and best habit. I never have to fuss with being wired close to the console, or bring my own controllers everywhere. But there are plenty of downsides too. For instance, I play with a Wii-mote.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Countblanc posted:

"Best non-default controller" may be damning with faint praise.

I'm not gonna say best because I think the DaulShock is the best, but it's like top 5 for all controllers. It's even better than the regular GC controller.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Kelp Plankton posted:

If Nintendo made an official Wavebird for the Wii U my first reaction would be "My God, it's a decade later and that controller is still preferred for Nintendo consoles?"

And my second reaction would be "Where can I buy one?"

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
The gamecube controller is the perfect controller

e: dualshock 2 is possibly tied. both are excellent

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

bef posted:

The gamecube controller is the perfect controller

It's missing a left bumper and the D-Pad is garbage and the sticks aren't buttons but THOSE TRIGGERS FEEL PERFECT and that makes up for everything

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

DoctorWhat posted:

It's missing a left bumper and the D-Pad is garbage and the sticks aren't buttons but THOSE TRIGGERS FEEL PERFECT and that makes up for everything

the c-stick is amazing and the ergonomics of the abxy button layout is the best thing that has ever happened to controllers

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.

Kelp Plankton posted:

Yeah, they've shown what it looks like too. It's not a Gamecube controller, it's a "Wii U Wired Fight Pad".

No c-stick, no d-pad. It'd be okay for stuff like Street Fighter, but not really a replacement for the GC controller for Smash Bros.

nevermind the c stick, no dpad means you can't taunt

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

nevermind the c stick, no dpad means you can't taunt

both are equally valid reasons to hate that piece of poo poo

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
can you even imagine playing brawl without someone running around the stage as sonic screaming YOU'RE TOO SLOW

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Kelp Plankton posted:

Not being able to forward air while jumping back or vice versa, good design

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

can you even imagine playing brawl without someone running around the stage as sonic screaming YOU'RE TOO SLOW

no, I can't imagine playing brawl https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DV1fUwKMdAI

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Is it just the picture, or does is that thing really uneven? Like someone wore it down on the right?

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Geostomp posted:

Is it just the picture, or does is that thing really uneven? Like someone wore it down on the right?

I guess you're supposed to hold the jutting bit in your left and let the right side just push into your hand so you have better reach to the buttons? It does look like a woodshop project where some kid went really nuts and over-sanded one side, though.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
A lot of people hold the left side and rest the right on their leg, using the buttons like a fight stick. I don't know how they hit the R bumper like that, though.

Liam Acerbus
Sep 17, 2007

Reminds me of this:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Did the N64 even have any proper fighting games you would have wanted a controller like that for?

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Motto posted:

Did the N64 even have any proper fighting games you would have wanted a controller like that for?

Clayfighter 63 .33333

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

what are you doing, please don't take away the sanctity of the holy poo poo announcer voice by using it on your own post

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
and anyway, monster kill is like 100% better

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

bef posted:

Clayfighter 63 .33333

This but unironically. Bad Mr. Frosty for Smash.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Motto posted:

Mortal Kombat Trilogy and Mortal Kombat 4...

So no not really.

Edit: one thing that always annoyed me about Brawl was that if you got stuck with the classic controller, then the shoulder mapping was weird. ZL and ZR were mapped to the GC L and R, while LB and RB are both mapped to Gamecube's Z. Come to think of it there was a way to remap the buttons right?

Chaltab fucked around with this message at 05:00 on May 27, 2014

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

DrPaper posted:

This but unironically. Bad Mr. Frosty for Smash.

Nah, Sumo Santa. Or that voodoo guy who smacks you with a rubber chicken and says "Cluck you!"

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

His name is Houngan.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Earthworm Jim for Smash.

e: Boogerman for Smash.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Babe Magnet posted:

Earthworm Jim for Smash.

e: Boogerman for Smash.

Earthworm Jim would be amazing in Smash (ignoring his weird clay fighter appearance entirely). His moveset practically writes itself, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

How is it weird? It was not only by the same company, but the dude who made Boogerman and Earthworm Jim did the claymation capture and designs for the game.

• Locked thread