Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You would never need to press that many in advance with discs, I would think. You could just press to demand. But I am not familiar with large scale disc manufacturing, though I did work for a disc manufacturing self publishing device selling small business that went under in 2008.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
when does MK8 officially release? Probably going to go buy it next weekend, will the deal still be running then?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

greatn posted:

You would never need to press that many in advance with discs, I would think. You could just press to demand. But I am not familiar with large scale disc manufacturing, though I did work for a disc manufacturing self publishing device selling small business that went under in 2008.

You don't want to press for demand because it's costly and inefficient, they want to anticipate the demand a bit. Doing your launch order numbers and then going back every so often for batches at least in the hundreds of thousands won't cause any logistics problems as long as you stay on top of things. At this point only the smaller of companies have to really worry about how many units to make; Xseed (to pick on a small publisher), probably only deals with a trickle of demand for their games after launch so they can't afford to go back for another printing.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Sarchasm posted:

I don't think a lot of people have yet wrapped their mind around the concept that you can both like something and acknowledge that it was a financial failure.

Videogames. :shrug:

It's pretty infantile. "Why are you saying this thing is bad? It's not bad, it's good!" I once brought up in a Nintendo thread that the cutesyness of part of the 3DS interface was going to be difficult to market to teenage male "hardcore" demographics and got responses of "Hey I like the interface why don't you?"

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Austrian mook posted:

when does MK8 officially release? Probably going to go buy it next weekend, will the deal still be running then?

May 30th, four days from now. The deal will be running 'til the end of July, I believe.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I really care about other people's purchasing decisions

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Austrian mook posted:

I really care about other people's purchasing decisions

Said in a thread about the sales and marketing choices of Nintendo.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Fremry posted:

Said in a thread about the sales and marketing choices of Nintendo.

There's a difference between discussing and laughing and Nintendo's sales and marketing and being investing in whether or not someone is going to buy a WiiU. People seem really loving defensive over their decision to buy a video game console ITT.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Austrian mook posted:

There's a difference between discussing and laughing and Nintendo's sales and marketing and being investing in whether or not someone is going to buy a WiiU. People seem really loving defensive over their decision to buy a video game console ITT.

Yeah. The way I see it, I personally am exactly the market for getting a Wii U at the end of next year once its price has presumably dropped dramatically. Since I never had a Wii, the Wii U could literally never have another title released after Smash 4 and I'd still have enough material between its catalog and the Wii catalog to never run out of things to play, and if I wait until December of next year, if they just stop releasing games at the end of this year the price will be great on all of them. Games aren't perishable and aren't worse because they've been sitting on a shelf for two years or even like eight years in the case of Wii games, so there's no problem with me buying Mario Galaxy or whatever in 2016 for next to nothing. The Wii U makes sense for me as a purchase pretty much because it's going to die, and I doubt I'm the only vulture out there who wants to swoop up titles like Wonderful 101, Pikmin 3, New Super Mario World, and Smash 4 for next to nothing 1-2 years after they are released on the premise that they'll all be on sale at firesale prices.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Austrian mook posted:

Nobody cares if you buy a Wii U.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Patter Song posted:

The Wii U makes sense for me as a purchase pretty much because it's going to die, and I doubt I'm the only vulture out there who wants to swoop up titles like Wonderful 101, Pikmin 3, New Super Mario World, and Smash 4 for next to nothing 1-2 years after they are released on the premise that they'll all be on sale at firesale prices.

Yeah, that's my plan. I've done that with the PS1 and SNES, too. If you wait just a few years after a console goes off the market, you can get a pile of games for insanely low prices.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, that's my plan. I've done that with the PS1 and SNES, too. If you wait just a few years after a console goes off the market, you can get a pile of games for insanely low prices.

...you didn't think the PS1 and SNES were worth full price?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

AdmiralViscen posted:

...you didn't think the PS1 and SNES were worth full price?

PS1 full price was $299 at launch, which was pretty pricy for its time. It dropped down to half that within 2 years or so.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

PS1 full price was $299 at launch, which was pretty pricy for its time. It dropped down to half that within 2 years or so.

Yea, and he said he then waited until a few years after it was off the market.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Patter Song posted:

The Wii U makes sense for me as a purchase pretty much because it's going to die, and I doubt I'm the only vulture out there who wants to swoop up titles like Wonderful 101, Pikmin 3, New Super Mario World, and Smash 4 for next to nothing 1-2 years after they are released on the premise that they'll all be on sale at firesale prices.

While I do think the thought process is reasonable, I don't really think the time period you're imagining is. You're expecting Nintendo to flat-out drop the console roughly two-and-half years from now?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

I said come in! posted:

Seriously though, I don't think packaging MK8 with the Wii U is going to help. People don't buy a console for one game, the Wii U is still unappealing.

Sarchasm basically nailed it though. MK8 can't sell anywhere close to as well as the other games due to the Wii U sales overall being terrible.

FWIW, Nintendo released Club Nintendo data that said that Mario Kart Wii was #2 when it came to influencing a hardware sale (for sure in the US, not sure about Japan and Europe). Wii Fit was number one at 42% of game sales driving a hardware sale. Mario Kart Wii had 37% of software sales driving hardware sales. That's pretty huge if 37% of Mario Kart 8 sales manage to drive a hardware sale. It won't, but it would be nice... You cannot deny that people do not buy systems because of Mario Kart based on that data, but it will be interesting to see how it plays out on the Wii U.

But yes, Mario Kart 8 might be the worse selling MK in history simply because of the system that it's on. I'd be surprised if it sells better than Double Dash.

Out of curiosity, I googled the NPD numbers for Double Dash from when it was released through 6 months. After 6 months, it stops showing up in NPD reports, and doesn't even show up in the Holiday 2004 charts.

November 2003
1. Mario Kart Double Dash - 527,742
2. Medal of Honor Rising PS2 - 420,313
3. Final Fantasy X-2 - 402,973
4. Grand Theft Auto Double Pack - 391,315
5. SOCOM II: U.S. Navy Seals - 380,182

December 2003
1. Need For Speed Underground PS2 - 1,120,576 PS2, 308,989 XBOX, 1,429,565 Total
2. Madden NFL 2004 - 784,347 PS2, 182,148 XBOX, 966,495 Total
3. Tony Hawk Underground - 707,522 PS2, 173,119 XBOX, 880,671 Total
4. True Crime: Streets of LA - 607,315 PS2, 206,906 XBOX, 814,221 Total
5. Mario Kart Double Dash - 729,797 GCN

2004 NPD for Double Dash
January - 106,424
February 2004 - 81,233
March 2004 - 68,427
April 2004 - 35,587

That's 1,549,210 US sales through the first 6 months of release. Discounting the 1 day in May, 6 months takes us through November. Will MK8 even be able to break 1.5M this year thru December? I guess we will wait and see.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Ultigonio posted:

While I do think the thought process is reasonable, I don't really think the time period you're imagining is. You're expecting Nintendo to flat-out drop the console roughly two-and-half years from now?

That sounds about right. They'll start winding things down after this holiday and have the console run on fumes for a couple of years so they can start serious work on a successor.

A 4 year life would be pretty good considering how much money this thing is hemorrhaging.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Crowbear posted:

That sounds about right. They'll start winding things down after this holiday and have the console run on fumes for a couple of years so they can start serious work on a successor.

A 4 year life would be pretty good considering how much money this thing is hemorrhaging.

It seems unreasonable to want to hemorrhage even more by throwing a ton of cash into R&D for a new console, starting at an install base of 0 in the middle of a generation that Sony and Microsoft want to last for 10 or so years, which'll probably push their dive into irrelevancy even further. Even the GC had a five-year lifespan.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Ultigonio posted:

It seems unreasonable to want to hemorrhage even more by throwing a ton of cash into R&D for a new console, starting at an install base of 0 in the middle of a generation that Sony and Microsoft want to last for 10 or so years, which'll probably push their dive into irrelevancy even further. Even the GC had a five-year lifespan.

Continuing support for a product that has been resoundingly rejected by the market instead of trying something new sounds like a very Iwata thing to do so I guess you could be right.

It's still a bad idea though. They could afford to try and push the GC a little longer because the losses it was making were more than made up for by the GBA. The Wii U is losing so much money that even a good year for the 3DS couldn't make up for it and so far it seems like the 3DS's best years are behind it.

e: Speaking of the GBA, that thing was selling like hotcakes and it still only got 4 years of support, so it's clearly not too short of a life cycle for Nintendo.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 04:40 on May 27, 2014

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Ultigonio posted:

Even the GC had a five-year lifespan.

Compared to the WiiU the GC was a tremendous success.

Unless mario kart magically sells another 10 million WiiUs or so the thing's dead and not worth supporting.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Crowbear posted:

e: Speaking of the GBA, that thing was selling like hotcakes and it still only got 4 years of support, so it's clearly not too short of a life cycle for Nintendo.

That was 10 years ago, and the GBA was a handheld. The GBC had a two-year lifespan - I don't think it's a fair comparison.

In any case, dropping a console 4 years into its lifespan in this day would likely communicate to people that Nintendo would be all-too-likely to do it again, thus eroding any remaining consumer confidence in the company. Unless Nintendo came up with a darn good exchange program for present Wii U owners (which would likely cost them more money than it's worth), it seems like a not-too-great idea.

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 04:57 on May 27, 2014

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Ultigonio posted:

In any case, dropping a console 4 years into its lifespan in this day would likely communicate to people that Nintendo would be all-too-likely to do it again, thus eroding any remaining consumer confidence in Nintendo.

As opposed to trying to endure a console generation with the WiiU, eroding all of Nintendo's profits and most if not all of their warchest.

Really, the only feasible option Nintendo has is to go third party. Enduring the WiiU ends with a near-bankrupt company, and throwing away the WiiU gives us another Sega...who eventually went third party.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

TaurusOxford posted:

As opposed to trying to endure a console generation with the WiiU, eroding all of Nintendo's profits and most if not all of their warchest.

Really, the only feasible option Nintendo has is to go third party. Enduring the WiiU ends with a near-bankrupt company, and throwing away the WiiU gives us another Sega...who eventually went third party.

Time to put the thread into endless repeat, I suppose, but...The Wii U is a boat anchor around their necks, no doubt, but wouldn't they be better off just moving to handheld only? Their losses are entirely due to the consoles, the 3DS is making money but not as fast as the Wii U is losing it. Wouldn't giving up on the living room, console experience and becoming a portable gaming company be a better alternative than going third party?

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

When does that investor meeting happen? I'm waiting for when can we see them turn on Iwata. Is it in June?

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

TaurusOxford posted:

But a new system would only erode their profits faster, while simultaneously being even less likely to make anything back, especially because the Wii U's only just begun to break even by itself. I'm not really seeing the good in the idea for them, or anyone for that matter.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
They're already working on a new system. QoL, bitches.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Crowbear posted:

Speaking of the GBA, that thing was selling like hotcakes and it still only got 4 years of support, so it's clearly not too short of a life cycle for Nintendo.

They killed the GBA because the DS was doing so well in Japan. I still think it died an unfair death in the US where they stopped making games long before people stopped buying them.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Ultigonio posted:

But a new system would only erode their profits faster, while simultaneously being less likely to make anything back, especially because the Wii U's only just begun to break even by itself. I'm not really seeing the good in the idea for them, or anyone for that matter.

A new system could potentially sell well and profit. Given Nintendo's history, it won't, but it has the potential. The WiiU does not share that potential, and putting any significant budget towards keeping it afloat beyond what's necessary to keep existing customers satisfied until they can release their next system would be a huge mistake.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
It's really hard to compare the handheld market, because systems have had weird short lifespans and not directly competed with each other in terms of specs due to a lot of exclusive software.

TaurusOxford posted:

Rushing another consoles to the market 3 years after the PS4/XBO that is on par with the PS4/XBO could also deplete their warchest even faster if that one fails too due to timing. Even if it's more powerful, they'll get ports that are on par with the current consoles. If we see another 7 year cycle for PS4/XBO, it puts Nintendo in a position where 4 years into the Wii U successor's lifespan that the PS5/XBWhatever is coming out that blows THAT console out of the water. Now you have another Nintendo console that is going to get support for 4 years.

But what do I know... I honestly don't quite get how the Wii U loses so much money. Sony recently announced that the PS4 is profitable at $400. And the Wii U is not profitable at $300? Like... is the user base so small that the games are not even profitable?

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
The Wii U is sold at a loss. Originally it only required one game sale for the transaction to be in the black. That's probably a larger requirement now since the price cut.

That isn't the only issue, though. They manufactured some units they haven't sold, so that's another source of loss until they sell. But they also spent money developing the system - they had to pay the salaries of every person that worked on the thing, their material cost, etc. That's money that needs to be recouped by actually selling the system, and profits from games and game licenses, which are dependent on them selling the system.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I feel like if I could go back in time and make the SNES-CD partnership between Nintendo and Sony a success, the world would be a better place today.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

idonotlikepeas posted:

The Wii U is sold at a loss. Originally it only required one game sale for the transaction to be in the black. That's probably a larger requirement now since the price cut.

This is sort of wrong... Reggie did an interview where he said it takes 1 game sale for the Wii U to become profitable. It was later said that this is not true and that it takes more than one game, with them not specifying how many.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Suspicious Cook posted:

I feel like if I could go back in time and make the SNES-CD partnership between Nintendo and Sony a success, the world would be a better place today.

I honestly doubt it, Sony still would have probably came to market with their own system. Still seeing another round of Nintendo vs. Sega could have been really interesting, I bet the N64 could have beat the Saturn handily. They would have probably still switched to disks for the Sixth Generation though.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
The alternate universe I'd be interested is the one where Nintendo bundled Wii Play with the Wii instead of Wii Sports like Nintendo of Japan wanted to do.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

They're already working on a new system. QoL, bitches.

I know my quality of life will be improved once I stop having to buy Nintendo consoles just for the handful of good games that come out for them. I'd rather have the Vitality Sensor than see what they've done to the Paper Mario and Yoshi's Island series.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Cliff Racer posted:

I honestly doubt it, Sony still would have probably came to market with their own system. Still seeing another round of Nintendo vs. Sega could have been really interesting, I bet the N64 could have beat the Saturn handily. They would have probably still switched to disks for the Sixth Generation though.

You're probably right, but I'd still like to live in a world with the Nintendo Playstation. :smith:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Crowbear posted:

It's still a bad idea though. They could afford to try and push the GC a little longer because the losses it was making were more than made up for by the GBA. The Wii U is losing so much money that even a good year for the 3DS couldn't make up for it and so far it seems like the 3DS's best years are behind it.

That seems like a premature statement, the first handheld Smash Bros ever is about to hit and another Pokémon game is coming out this year.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Patter Song posted:

Time to put the thread into endless repeat, I suppose, but...The Wii U is a boat anchor around their necks, no doubt, but wouldn't they be better off just moving to handheld only? Their losses are entirely due to the consoles, the 3DS is making money but not as fast as the Wii U is losing it. Wouldn't giving up on the living room, console experience and becoming a portable gaming company be a better alternative than going third party?
I don't think either Nintendo or Sony want to be focusing on handhelds for the next iteration of hardware. They're not regaining that market space that tablets and phones are taking and it erodes every year. The next iteration of hardware might be a combination, where you have a tablet to take with you but it can also plug into a TV and be played with controllers as well. Right now Sony has Vita and Vita TV as separate devices but I think a future device would try to be both at once.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

That seems like a premature statement, the first handheld Smash Bros ever is about to hit and another Pokémon game is coming out this year.

Isn't that Pokemon a remake of what most fans consider the worst set of games? And when has Pokemon caused a huge influx of buyers twice in as many years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Suspicious Dish posted:

The alternate universe I'd be interested is the one where Nintendo bundled Wii Play with the Wii instead of Wii Sports like Nintendo of Japan wanted to do.

I want an alternative universe where they release a console that competes with PlayStation 4. Maybe even something somewhere between the PS4 and Xbox One in hardware specs. Supposedly they have the money to make this happen, according to the hardcore Nintendo fanbase, so I really am confused with the Wii U system specs.

Fulchrum posted:

Isn't that Pokemon a remake of what most fans consider the worst set of games? And when has Pokemon caused a huge influx of buyers twice in as many years?

Nintendo's vague wording is that while it is based off a previous Pokemon game, the world will still be pretty different. Isn't X/Y the same in that it's based off the first gen Pokemon?

• Locked thread