Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

ConanThe3rd posted:

Well, Ok. How's this for a nuc build? With a win 8 install in mind (I know but the start page strikes me as a perfect 10ft interface)

That's the older Ivybridge version of the NUC. Get one of the newer Haswell version for the built in IR receiver that's tied to the power supply for power on/off capabilities. There's should be thin and thick models of each, for mSATA or 2.5" drives, respectively.

If you're willing to pass on Win8 and run OpenELEC, you'll probably be happy with the speed of the 2nd generation Celeron model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

goku chewbacca posted:

That's the older Ivybridge version of the NUC. Get one of the newer Haswell version for the built in IR receiver that's tied to the power supply for power on/off capabilities. There's should be thin and thick models of each, for mSATA or 2.5" drives, respectively.

If you're willing to pass on Win8 and run OpenELEC, you'll probably be happy with the speed of the 2nd generation Celeron model.

Ok, how about now?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

ConanThe3rd posted:

Ok, how about now?

Are you planning on using WiFi to access your videos?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

ConanThe3rd posted:

Well, Ok. How's this for a nuc build? With a win 8 install in mind (I know but the start page strikes me as a perfect 10ft interface)

What are you using it for? If it's just a media center it's a little overkill (so is Windows 8). If it's not a media center then that's a fairly low end PC to use in a TV settings.

If you are thinking you want a little of both my advice usually is to stick to one - put OpenElec on it. XBMC can launch emulators and such if that's your thing.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I've ordered a raspberry pi and I'm planning to use it for my first ever attempt at running XBMC (I used to have an old desktop computer hooked up to my TV, but that setup doesn't work any more).

I was planning to use Raspbmc, simply because it's the one I found the documentation easier for at a glance, but I could certainly figure out the other ones too. Are there any major pros/cons/recommendations about the different flavors of XBMC that will work with a raspberry pi?
I know a lot of it is preference, but I'm wondering if anyone has any strong recommendations against/for any of them, like "don't get X, it's really buggy right now and sort of in alpha stages" or something similar.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Ixian posted:

What are you using it for? If it's just a media center it's a little overkill (so is Windows 8). If it's not a media center then that's a fairly low end PC to use in a TV settings.

If you are thinking you want a little of both my advice usually is to stick to one - put OpenElec on it. XBMC can launch emulators and such if that's your thing.
I want it to handle XBMC, Emulators up to SNES (plus GBA, I imaigne these days if something can do Snes it can dodge the GBA Ball but it bares stating), Crunchyroll and preferably netflix if at all entirely possible.

Lowen SoDium posted:

Are you planning on using WiFi to access your videos?
I'm planing on Using WiFi as for various reasons plugging the thing into my router is not feasible.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 23, 2014

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

ConanThe3rd posted:

I want it to handle XBMC, Emulators up to SNES (plus GBA, I imaigne these days if something can do Snes it can dodge the GBA Ball but it bares stating), Crunchyroll and preferably netflix if at all entirely possible.

You can get those kinds of emulators working pretty easily on OpenElec (there's an addon called RetroArch that is simple to set up). For Wireless controllers the 360 (PC version) works out of the box, as do most corded USB controllers. It's more or less as simple as setting up on a Windows box. Here's a guide: http://deanvaughan.org/wordpress/2014/01/running-emulators-on-openelec/

I didn't know what Crunchyroll was so I Googled it and it's apparently some Anime thing which I assume you know already - there's a way to use it with Chrome inside XBMC/OpenElec that a lot of people seem to be using and liking. I can't say how it well it works myself but there's a forum for it over on XBMC. Looks like you'd be going that route whether you used OpenElec or Windows anyway.

As for Netflix, that is an all-around tricky proposition. For a Linux based box, like OpenElec, you can more or less forget about it. If you use a Windows 8 box you can use the official app and have XBMC launch it, however it's known to not play nice with remotes - you pretty much need to use a mouse to navigate it. Personally I think that sucks but maybe you are cool with the idea, dunno. There are also various other Windows/XBMC based solutions that drop in and out of favor all the time and more or less require constant dicking around.

Honestly, I've been doing this for years now and the only "all in one" solution for (most) streaming media apps and XBMC that even comes close is if you run XBMC on the FireTV - you can launch Android apps from XBMC itself (like Netflix) and the version for that device is made for remote control/big screens. Even other Android-based boxes can't do that well because the Netflix version for those are designed for touch screens and have the same control issues.

I like the FTV a lot and use it in my living room for exactly this - XBMC, Netflix, and Amazon Prime - but it does have some limitations with XBMC and I don't know how well it runs emulators yet (though I imagine sometime in the future it'll run them pretty well, just not yet).

Really what you want to do, even today, is use something like an i3 NUC with XBMC to get the best local media/emulator/whatever experience possible, and buy a separate little box like the FTV or Roku for the rest of your streaming needs. The latter aren't exactly expensive and sip power and you will find the experience of having to switch between them to be much less of a pain in the rear end than trying to make one or the other do it all.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Ixian posted:

I like the FTV a lot and use it in my living room for exactly this - XBMC, Netflix, and Amazon Prime - but it does have some limitations with XBMC and I don't know how well it runs emulators yet (though I imagine sometime in the future it'll run them pretty well, just not yet).

I heard it can go all the way up to the Dreamcast, which is really impressive, but the big issue is lack of storage. XBMC, a few small games and you're down to like 2.5-3 GBs to mess around with. Hopefully Amazon will open up USB storage soon.

I'm using SPMC on mine and the only limitation I've run into is no VC-1 support. Everything else works perfectly and using PleXBMC works better than the native Plex app.

(Using a ZBOX AD-10 as the pitcher)

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ixian posted:

Also, in a weird touch, you'll also need to buy a power cord - not the adapter itself, which comes with it, just the cord - it's a small 3 prong "cloverleaf" type that you probably don't have laying around, though you can get them on Amazon with the NUC for an extra $4. The theory there is Intel deliberately chooses not to ship it with one so it can further justify the "kit" designator, but who knows.

They now come with a power cord.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

jonathan posted:

They now come with a power cord.

Only from certain resellers that pack it in. As far as I have seen the actual Intel ones do not. The latest one I got a month or so ago didn't have it in the box.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Ixian posted:

Only from certain resellers that pack it in. As far as I have seen the actual Intel ones do not. The latest one I got a month or so ago didn't have it in the box.

Certain SKUs of the newest models come with power adapters is what the XBMC wiki article on the subject says, and that seems to match what I've seen on retailer websites.

I'm in the market for a new HTPC myself lately, and was thinking of going all out and try the i5 4250U NUC. Overkill for a straight XBMC machine, I know, but it'd be cool if I were able to get some emulation and light gaming on there too - both my current computers are too slow to run any contemporary titles.

Was considering the Fire TV after all the praise the thing has been getting online, but it wouldn't surprise me if in reality XBMC is a half-broken mess on it just like the ATV2. In my limited experience with XBMC's Android port on a Nexus 7 tablet, it's been far less stable than something you'd want to be running for your main setup.

For me at least, it'll definitely be worth the extra cash if I can get a box that works 100% of the time instead of having to wrestle a lovely ARM device every other day when I just want to sit down and enjoy my media after work.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Keito posted:

Certain SKUs of the newest models come with power adapters is what the XBMC wiki article on the subject says, and that seems to match what I've seen on retailer websites.

I'm in the market for a new HTPC myself lately, and was thinking of going all out and try the i5 4250U NUC. Overkill for a straight XBMC machine, I know, but it'd be cool if I were able to get some emulation and light gaming on there too - both my current computers are too slow to run any contemporary titles.

Was considering the Fire TV after all the praise the thing has been getting online, but it wouldn't surprise me if in reality XBMC is a half-broken mess on it just like the ATV2. In my limited experience with XBMC's Android port on a Nexus 7 tablet, it's been far less stable than something you'd want to be running for your main setup.

For me at least, it'll definitely be worth the extra cash if I can get a box that works 100% of the time instead of having to wrestle a lovely ARM device every other day when I just want to sit down and enjoy my media after work.

I'll take your word for it regarding the different SKU's but it's still worth pointing out to people looking at the NUCs because no one is going to think about what SKU they should be ordering or that they even need to think about having to buy a power cord for a computer that comes with the actual adapter. Those little cords aren't common - very few people will have one laying around, and it's not something you can pick up at a big-box store outside of the odd Fry's or MicroCenter. So if by chance you get one that doesn't have it and you have to order it online after you get your NUC you'll probably be pissed :)

About the i5 NUC - depends on your definition of "light gaming". It's not going to be all that much faster for games - that is, the type of games that work well on integrated GPU's would work well on either an i3 or an i5 (the ones specific to the NUCs, anyway) and a game that runs like poo poo on an i3 NUC probably isn't going to run better on the i5 version.

As for the XBMC/FireTV - I have 3 - it's not the shitshow the ATV2 version was at the beginning (and to some extents still is). It takes a little bit of doing to install it - folks have written installers that pretty much automate it at this point - and it has a few quirks which I've gone in to extensively elsewhere in this thread. Overall though it's a pretty drat nice, stable, easy to use solution that can be had for $100, with remote, and provides a really nice set of streaming media options to boot. Netflix on the Fire is the best I've used on *any* streaming media device, for example.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

alnilam posted:

I've ordered a raspberry pi and I'm planning to use it for my first ever attempt at running XBMC (I used to have an old desktop computer hooked up to my TV, but that setup doesn't work any more).

I was planning to use Raspbmc, simply because it's the one I found the documentation easier for at a glance, but I could certainly figure out the other ones too. Are there any major pros/cons/recommendations about the different flavors of XBMC that will work with a raspberry pi?
I know a lot of it is preference, but I'm wondering if anyone has any strong recommendations against/for any of them, like "don't get X, it's really buggy right now and sort of in alpha stages" or something similar.

The Raspberry Pi has come together quite nicely as an XBMC platform. The three flavors of XBMC for the Pi are Raspbmc, Xbian and OpenElec. Raspbmc runs ontop of an active Debian distro designed for the Raspberry Pi. This means that less resources are being devoted to actually running XBMC. The upside of this being that you can drop down to Raspbian and tinker with stuff to run in conjunction with XBMC. OpenElec is meant to function more like a piece of hardware. Similar to how you turn on a DVD Player or other device it boots directly into XBMC. With OpenElec there is absolutely no extra stuff running behind it. It was Linux tailored solely to run XBMC and not a single package more. It has it's advantages, it boots and runs faster, and the OpenElec build has XBMC devs working on it. OpenElec tends to be the most "set and forget" build of them all. It comes with it's own built in functionality to update itself to the most recent build of OpenElec, be it Nightlies, Stable or Testing.

I'm not familiar with Xbian, there was boatloads of drama when it first came out and it just made me figure it wasn't going to be around for much longer. Apparently they sorted their poo poo and still exist, but what advantages it has over either OpenElec and Raspbian are beyond me. It claims to be "bleeding edge" but that entire concept is quite odd to me since you could just opt in for XBMC nightly builds for both Raspbmc and OpenElec.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

YouTuber posted:

The Raspberry Pi has come together quite nicely as an XBMC platform. The three flavors of XBMC for the Pi are Raspbmc, Xbian and OpenElec. Raspbmc runs ontop of an active Debian distro designed for the Raspberry Pi. This means that less resources are being devoted to actually running XBMC. The upside of this being that you can drop down to Raspbian and tinker with stuff to run in conjunction with XBMC. OpenElec is meant to function more like a piece of hardware. Similar to how you turn on a DVD Player or other device it boots directly into XBMC. With OpenElec there is absolutely no extra stuff running behind it. It was Linux tailored solely to run XBMC and not a single package more. It has it's advantages, it boots and runs faster, and the OpenElec build has XBMC devs working on it. OpenElec tends to be the most "set and forget" build of them all. It comes with it's own built in functionality to update itself to the most recent build of OpenElec, be it Nightlies, Stable or Testing.

I'm not familiar with Xbian, there was boatloads of drama when it first came out and it just made me figure it wasn't going to be around for much longer. Apparently they sorted their poo poo and still exist, but what advantages it has over either OpenElec and Raspbian are beyond me. It claims to be "bleeding edge" but that entire concept is quite odd to me since you could just opt in for XBMC nightly builds for both Raspbmc and OpenElec.

Thanks for this helpful post. I'm now slightly torn between Raspbian and OpenElec.

When you say Raspbian has a linux distro running underneath it, does that mean I could like... alt-tab away from xbmc and run some other linux program?

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

alnilam posted:

Thanks for this helpful post. I'm now slightly torn between Raspbian and OpenElec.

When you say Raspbian has a linux distro running underneath it, does that mean I could like... alt-tab away from xbmc and run some other linux program?

In the shutdown menu button there should be an option to close XBMC and go to the OS but I'm not positive. It's been ages since I've used RaspBMC. OpenElec has done everything I've ever needed.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Finally picked up a FireTV based on thread recommendation and Ixians writeup, after doing htpc's basically since video cards started coming with s-video out its really weird to have a tiny device that is so powerful right out of the box and installing xbmc took all of a minute. Only thing I haven't been able to figure out so far is how to actually install the Eminence skin, it doesn't show up in the list under addons, and the authors github is just directories, am I supposed to add that as a repository?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

madpanda posted:

Finally picked up a FireTV based on thread recommendation and Ixians writeup, after doing htpc's basically since video cards started coming with s-video out its really weird to have a tiny device that is so powerful right out of the box and installing xbmc took all of a minute. Only thing I haven't been able to figure out so far is how to actually install the Eminence skin, it doesn't show up in the list under addons, and the authors github is just directories, am I supposed to add that as a repository?

Eminence is a WIP (work in progress) skin so it's not in any repo. Just Google "XBMC Eminence" and go to the Github page. On the right you'll see "download zip" - do that.

Then unzip it and rezip it right back up (I use 7-Zip, myself) - Github creates zips that give XBMC trouble in case you wondered why you need to go through the extra step.

Now just use adb to transfer the file over - instructions are in the XBMC FireTV wiki - then choose addons, install zip.

Since it's a WIP it's also a good idea to read the first post of the thread for it on the XBMC forums - there are some addons you may need to install manually using the same method (skin widgets come to mind, there's a list in that OP) in order to get full functionality out of it.

It's a nice skin so it's worth it, but if you just want to stick to the convenience of a repo skin - which does all this for you - both Aeon Nox and Aeon MQ5 work well with the FireTV, look good, and can be easily gotten from the official skin repo.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

YouTuber posted:

It comes with it's own built in functionality to update itself to the most recent build of OpenElec, be it Nightlies, Stable or Testing.

RaspBMC does this too.

Strictly anecdotal, but every minor frustration I had with OpenElec on my Pi went away when I used RaspBMC. It's going to be subjective I think, but I found the extra touches in RaspBMC made for an easier experience, especially if I had been a first time user. The initial setup with RaspBMC automated a lot of the process you have to go through manually with OpenElec. For some people, this is half the fun, so I guess this is up to you as to if this is a pro or con.

As for performance -- they both do the most important part, playing media, just fine. If you're planning on using a Pi to run XBMC and have all sorts of crazy stuff happening like beta versions of visualizations running in the background constantly, you're kind of doing it wrong anyway.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

madpanda posted:

Is there an official XBMC launcher for the FireTV home screen yet?

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

The Gunslinger posted:

Is there an official XBMC launcher for the FireTV home screen yet?

There was an app that was supposedly submitted to the Amazon app store for approval called "XBMC On Fire". I just checked and I don't see it online yet. Not sure how long the approval process is.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
I've also been running RaspBMC without issue. It stutters a bit on pretty high bitrate 1080p content, but I don't think there's any tiny box (below, say, a NUC) that would play those flawlessly.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Sagacity posted:

I've also been running RaspBMC without issue. It stutters a bit on pretty high bitrate 1080p content, but I don't think there's any tiny box (below, say, a NUC) that would play those flawlessly.

My Revo from 5 years ago (or something ) can flawlessly play any 1080p content. I guess it depends on exactly what you mean by tiny.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
Oh, really? I was trying a 17gb file, about 25mbit. Even playing from a local USB drive it was too much. Could be the encode was flaky, though.
e: And indeed, my PC also doesn't want to play it smoothly. Sorry. :downs:

Sagacity fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 26, 2014

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Sagacity posted:

Oh, really? I was trying a 17gb file, about 25mbit. Even playing from a local USB drive it was too much. Could be the encode was flaky, though.
e: And indeed, my PC also doesn't want to play it smoothly. Sorry. :downs:

Yeah, I think the Revo 1800/3600 can play such a file without a problem. Sounds like something is funky with the file encoding or something...

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
I just switched from running RaspMC to running OpenELEC on an old laptop. Holy poo poo. It runs so much faster, and it hasn't crashed once.
Trying to run it on the pi was really painful. It was slow as gently caress, and it never worked right. You may be saving money, but how much do you value your time and sanity?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Legdiian posted:

There was an app that was supposedly submitted to the Amazon app store for approval called "XBMC On Fire". I just checked and I don't see it online yet. Not sure how long the approval process is.

The developer was told by Amazon that they are being extra-sensitive right now to adding apps for the FireTV in their store, so it could be a while (assuming it gets approved at all).

Yes, the regular Amazon Appstore has allowed all manner of straight up garbage apps in (not that this is one of them) but I guess they are taking a different tack with this device.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

David Pratt posted:

I just switched from running RaspMC to running OpenELEC on an old laptop. Holy poo poo. It runs so much faster, and it hasn't crashed once.
Trying to run it on the pi was really painful. It was slow as gently caress, and it never worked right. You may be saving money, but how much do you value your time and sanity?

I do all of my actions from Yatse so menu panning isn't an issue.

I'll ask again since I think the last time got buried. Does anyone have experience running Bluetooth audio to XBMC? Like from a phone and having XBMC play it? Is this possible at all? I see posts talking about sending audio to speakers via BT but never receiving audio.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

YouTuber posted:

I'll ask again since I think the last time got buried. Does anyone have experience running Bluetooth audio to XBMC? Like from a phone and having XBMC play it? Is this possible at all? I see posts talking about sending audio to speakers via BT but never receiving audio.

Does it have to be Bluetooth? I'm pretty sure the full version of Yatse plus the streaming plugin can do this, but I've never tried it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

YouTuber posted:

BubbleUPNP will do this but doesn't use Bluetooth. Not sure if BT is a necessary requirement for you.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
What I want to do is stream from one of my Media players on my main computer to my Pi which is running OpenElec and connected to my stereo. Pi doesn't do Pulseaudio so that is a no go. Airtunes also doesn't work so that is another no-go. My next idea was to buy two bluetooth sticks and split the audio channel off to that and have XBMC recieve it.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

YouTuber posted:

What I want to do is stream from one of my Media players on my main computer to my Pi which is running OpenElec and connected to my stereo. Pi doesn't do Pulseaudio so that is a no go. Airtunes also doesn't work so that is another no-go. My next idea was to buy two bluetooth sticks and split the audio channel off to that and have XBMC recieve it.

Fire up a Shoutcast server on your PC and connect to the stream via XBMC on your network.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
So some guy had the same idea that I had and made a blog about it:

http://westmarch.sjsoft.com/2014/04/streaming-audio-linux-to-raspbmc/

I had to use the Upnp/DLNA method he used. I'll have to figure out a way to integrate my phone into this. But I'm sitting pretty at the moment. I can just switch any media center's audio channel in Pavucontrol to this Upnp channel and it plays on the Pi.

Last time I took a stab at this that blog didn't exist. I had no knowledge that rygel was the proper package to activate that in paprefs, even the Arch Wiki has no listings about it.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
So using the DLNA/UPnP streaming from my computer to my OpenElec Pi and it seems to have a delay of about a minute and change . I'm wondering if this because I'm encoding it as FLAC and the Pi isn't able to decode it fast enough or if it's a standard thing for UPnP.

Is anyone else doing this or am I all alone on this issue?

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

YouTuber posted:

So using the DLNA/UPnP streaming from my computer to my OpenElec Pi and it seems to have a delay of about a minute and change . I'm wondering if this because I'm encoding it as FLAC and the Pi isn't able to decode it fast enough or if it's a standard thing for UPnP.

Is anyone else doing this or am I all alone on this issue?

UPnP tends to be a bit faster than that, but obviously that's going to scale based on the speeds of the devices on either end, the network connection, and the content. Are you transcoding it to FLAC on the fly as you stream it? FLAC is the fastest lossless codec as far as encoding and decoding goes, but lossless still incurs a fair bit of processing and capacity overhead. You might consider using something lossy but at a quality that's still acceptable like OGG or MP3.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Well the delay isn't an issue any longer. The entire setup no longer works.

The terminal is just kicking out this nonstop ** (rygel:25520): WARNING **: Error sending SSDP packet to 192.168.1.1XX: Error sending message: Invalid argument

Literally nothing has changed between then and now so this is quite interesting.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
Is there a way to make a smart playlist for the most recently added files in certain folders? As in actual files, not library entries.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Any interest in a mouse only (ie cannot be navigated to using directional keys) XBMC launcher for Amazon Fire TV?

Appears only when on home screen/menus (although disappears when in games/apps/or photos for some reason)

I know the fact that you need a mouse to do it is a non-starter for alot of people, and it's not particularly pleasing to the eye (hey, I tried) but it's a start.

Made using Tasker.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Gozinbulx posted:

Any interest in a mouse only (ie cannot be navigated to using directional keys) XBMC launcher for Amazon Fire TV?

Appears only when on home screen/menus (although disappears when in games/apps/or photos for some reason)

I know the fact that you need a mouse to do it is a non-starter for alot of people, and it's not particularly pleasing to the eye (hey, I tried) but it's a start.

Made using Tasker.

There's an easier way if you're willing to sacrifice an app for it.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Amazon_Fire_TV#Launch_XBMC_from_an_Existing_App_on_the_FTV_Home_Screen

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Yeah I know but thats precisely what I don't like. Sacrificing an app is silly, we shouldn't have to do that.

Like I said, just an experiment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Gozinbulx posted:

Yeah I know but thats precisely what I don't like. Sacrificing an app is silly, we shouldn't have to do that.

Like I said, just an experiment.

Not as silly as a method that requires a mouse on the FireTV, I would think :)

Seriously, I'm glad you did it, it's an interesting project, but as far as usefulness goes I think most people would pick the sacrificial app route over needing to use a mouse to launch.