Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Just finished The New Order. What an amazing game, every part of the game felt needed, I didn't feel like there was any filler. The only problem I had was with the weapon switching mechanics. The game's story was also a _lot_ smarter than I thought it would be in a game about shooting every nazi ever. A+++ would preorder a sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

The soundtrack is not only on Spotify, but on Google Play Music as well.
Someone mentioned it earlier, "Ransacked" (playing when you're returning to burning resistance hideout) is a loving awesome song.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
On the airfield in Wolf 2009. This is a good and underrated game. Am I near the end yet? Want to get back into TNO.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

ShineDog posted:

On the airfield in Wolf 2009. This is a good and underrated game. Am I near the end yet? Want to get back into TNO.

You have about a hour to an hour and a half left.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Just finished. Great, and I didn't have a problem with the ending.

Perhaps he gets saved, perhaps not. Perhaps we can have Anya - Ambiguous Nazi Ripper as the next game. Press 'X' to murder Nazi in his post-coital slumber.

Willkommen auf dem mond:godwinning:

Caroline gets good treatment (loved the touches with her weights). I thought her perfunctory death and the "How will the resistance carry on? Oh, wait, Erik will smoothly take over and it will barely be mentioned again" part of '09 was one of its biggest mis-steps.

Klaus' "Americanisms" were a hoot. Tekla kills so many Nazis because she knows the universe's cheat code for infinite guns.

The only downers are idTech 5 being crappy with pop-up still, I'm not entirely sure how I beat the Robocop 2 boss fight (you seem to just need to be lucky with grenades), and the Panzerhund bits (sorry, developer guy! I just hate those kind of "flail around trying to find out what to do next quickly" parts, as I am crap at them and it takes slightly too long to reload after death).

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Boiled Water posted:

They had to remove anything nazi related.
I will never understand Germany's policy on this. Well I mean, I comprehend it in principle, I just think it's utterly retarded.

I did get a laugh when the Captain America game didn't have any swastikas for the Hydra guys, but got clever and used a bunch of iconography that's Nazi-associated but obscure enough that it's not on Germany's "ban" list.
Also the game's Hydra enemies' armor and uniforms were really obviously German Wehrmacht inspired designs, so the game's enemies ended up looking more like Nazis than the movie's Hydra soldiers did. :v:

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

mcbexx posted:

The soundtrack is not only on Spotify, but on Google Play Music as well.
Someone mentioned it earlier, "Ransacked" (playing when you're returning to burning resistance hideout) is a loving awesome song.

It's lovely, isn't it? Feels like someone called up David Gilmour and got us some genuine Floyd in the house. The lyrics in the latter half sound very "Great Gig in the Sky"-ish.

quote:

Naturally, Dwight Shultz as Strasser was a bit rough around the edges, though.

Apparently they had some other guy do the German bits for Deathshead.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 26, 2014

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

I will never understand Germany's policy on this. Well I mean, I comprehend it in principle, I just think it's utterly retarded.

I did get a laugh when the Captain America game didn't have any swastikas for the Hydra guys, but got clever and used a bunch of iconography that's Nazi-associated but obscure enough that it's not on Germany's "ban" list.
Also the game's Hydra enemies' armor and uniforms were really obviously German Wehrmacht inspired designs, so the game's enemies ended up looking more like Nazis than the movie's Hydra soldiers did. :v:

IIRC, the issue isn't that the symbols are banned, it's that video games aren't protected speech under German law.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
You weren't kidding about Ransacked. Looks like J's rift he was working on turned out awesome.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

DStecks posted:

IIRC, the issue isn't that the symbols are banned, it's that video games aren't protected speech under German law.

Pretty much. The ban on the symbols/phrases does carry a number of exceptions for when they're used in artistic (pretty sure that's how stuff like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVYtGjw20As gets a pass), scientific or educational context. Videogames apparently don't count for any of these, or maybe nobody tried to make a case for them yet, I don't know. I figure another factor is that publishers don't want to go through the time-consuming review process more often than necessary, so they rather cut too much than too little. For example, Call of Duty: World at War even changed street signs in their Berlin level from reading "Adolf-Hitler-Platz" to "Reichskanzlerplatz" and other things that wouldn't be a problem.

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

i'm a shark!!! i'm a SHAAAARK!! suck my diick!! I'M A SHAAARK!!

ShineDog posted:

Maybe i'm a minority in this thread in thinking Wolf09 is kinda bad. I mean it's a fully functional game i guess so i should say mediocre. But it just lacks the personality i expect from a Wolfenstein game. And that probably sounds crazy due to guns that disintegrate people and the fact that you can go on axe rampages and all that, but it's just kinda thrown in there. The world just feels so disconnected. You get thrown into superscience-stadt with no buildup or anything. There are alot of people in the game, but not any real characters. Maybe it's just a byproduct of an open world shooter (or quasi open world even). Far Cry 2 suffered similar problems. idtech4 seemed like a bad idea too because everything looks so glossy and oversaturated. It just missed all the notes for me.

My RTCW nostalgia put expectations higher than 09 could deliver. Thankfully TNO did!

Your evil twin would probably disagree with me on most points, but his LP was more entertaining than actually playing the game. :shobon:

PAnick
Aug 6, 2006

Build:
- Polygons
- Muscle

Boiled Water posted:

They had to remove anything nazi related.

And we learned that there was a lot of things nazi related. Not just the obvious things like swastikas and eagles.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rechtsextreme_Symbole_und_Zeichen (google translate will help)
Many numbers aren't allowed.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

I've played this game for a few hours, and it's great. The nightmares are such an awesome little touch that nobody would've even thought to miss if they weren't there. You can tell this game was a blast to make seeing as how they went the extra mile in so many ways.

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

What does the über difficulty change? Does it do anything fancy like adding more enemies or is it just hp/damage modifiers?

VVVV Meh, i want more dudes to shoot :black101:

Amebx fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 26, 2014

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Triggsz posted:

What does the über difficulty change? Does it do anything fancy like adding more enemies or is it just hp/damage modifiers?

Makes you roughly as fragile as the average enemy soldier and makes them throw grenades more often. I Am Death Incarnate is probably the most balanced difficulty.

PAnick
Aug 6, 2006

Build:
- Polygons
- Muscle
Assault Rifle 1960 (AR60)

The next step for the assault rifle, with some functions remaining from the 46 like the foldable front grip. We experimented with different attachments like a bayonet and different kinds of ammunition. The first version I made was again a little too realistic, so for revision two I made it broader and added a rail for changeable sights etc. I also added a compensator on the front, and the stock has room for a spare mag. I experimented with the texture for a while but we settled for black pretty early. You can maybe make out the seam that goes on top through the gun. The idea is that it's mass produced in two halves and then bolted together. :)

Big 1920x1200 images:

Later in the game BJ gets a hold of the rocket launcher attachment for the AR60. Very simple design with a drum mag for the rockets and a flip sight. Again we experimented with different kind of rockets.

Highpoly renders:

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

that looks drat nice. What is the idea behind that slotted stock - customisable counter weight?

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

PAnick posted:

gun stuff

By the way, it's really cool how you guys adapted the Luger's weird action in the future pistol and other guns. That's the weirdest completely functional gun in history, and I liked seeing its design messed with.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Mindblast posted:

that looks drat nice. What is the idea behind that slotted stock - customisable counter weight?

It looks like it's a place to store a spare magazine.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Triggsz posted:

Maybe i'm a minority in this thread in thinking Wolf09 is kinda bad. I mean it's a fully functional game i guess so i should say mediocre. But it just lacks the personality i expect from a Wolfenstein game. And that probably sounds crazy due to guns that disintegrate people and the fact that you can go on axe rampages and all that, but it's just kinda thrown in there. The world just feels so disconnected. You get thrown into superscience-stadt with no buildup or anything. There are alot of people in the game, but not any real characters. Maybe it's just a byproduct of an open world shooter (or quasi open world even). Far Cry 2 suffered similar problems. idtech4 seemed like a bad idea too because everything looks so glossy and oversaturated. It just missed all the notes for me.

My RTCW nostalgia put expectations higher than 09 could deliver. Thankfully TNO did!

Your evil twin would probably disagree with me on most points, but his LP was more entertaining than actually playing the game. :shobon:

I am sort of with you. I think stuff ramps up so ridiculously in the Farm level that the rest of the game just can't really compare. I was really expecting some callbacks to Return to Castle Wolfenstein in the Castle level, but that level ending up being generic as hell. Adding to that, the veil is just a lovely gimmick. That being said, Wolf09 is a solid shooter, but I think in the long run, it is pretty forgettable.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Oh right now I notice it. Good eye!

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Never noticed how much the AR60 reminds me of an FN FAL.

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

The front of the rifle reminds me more of the AN-94 Abakan.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Ularg posted:

Yeah, that stuck out to me, too. It's the vertical magazine.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."

blackguy32 posted:

I am sort of with you. I think stuff ramps up so ridiculously in the Farm level that the rest of the game just can't really compare. I was really expecting some callbacks to Return to Castle Wolfenstein in the Castle level, but that level ending up being generic as hell. Adding to that, the veil is just a lovely gimmick. That being said, Wolf09 is a solid shooter, but I think in the long run, it is pretty forgettable.

Of course I'm the biggest Wolf 09 fan, but I must agree with you that the Farm mission was the best part of the game. Or rather, the base underneath the farm.

In the first three minutes a dozen Nazis throw themselves over railings. Cause what's the point on having firefights on high catwalks if the enemies aren't going to fall off them at every opportunity?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hJig-hseFA

Though I did also enjoy the Airfield and Zeppelin because they ramped up the difficulty, started throwing everything at you, and gave you ammo for all the special weapons. I was also very satisfied by the final boss.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

PAnick posted:

Assault Rifle 1960 (AR60)

The next step for the assault rifle, with some functions remaining from the 46 like the foldable front grip. We experimented with different attachments like a bayonet and different kinds of ammunition. The first version I made was again a little too realistic, so for revision two I made it broader and added a rail for changeable sights etc. I also added a compensator on the front, and the stock has room for a spare mag. I experimented with the texture for a while but we settled for black pretty early. You can maybe make out the seam that goes on top through the gun. The idea is that it's mass produced in two halves and then bolted together. :)

Big 1920x1200 images:

Later in the game BJ gets a hold of the rocket launcher attachment for the AR60. Very simple design with a drum mag for the rockets and a flip sight. Again we experimented with different kind of rockets.

Highpoly renders:

Awesome!

Any chance of pics of the knives? Wanna see all the details of my stabbin' companions :)

One thing I noticed that I really thought was awesome was the damage detail varies based on the weapons use. I liked that. You get grenades that cause rips/tears, you get bullet wounds, and you even have burn damage in the later levels.

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

PAnick posted:

AR60 stuff

Out of curiosity, what was the problem with the gun being "too realistic?" One of my pet peeves in games are guns designed mostly to look cool with no sense of functionality, so it'd be interesting to hear what can go wrong when you go to the opposite design extreme. Also, what's with those bulges on the side of the rifle?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

One thing I noticed that I really thought was awesome was the damage detail varies based on the weapons use. I liked that. You get grenades that cause rips/tears, you get bullet wounds, and you even have burn damage in the later levels.

While walking past an area I had bathed in rockets because a heavy shotgunner dude was wading about, I saw a soldier that hadn't been gibbed but instead apparently had his loving face burnt the hell off. :stonk:

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

It's just the old german habit of trying to do something that seems like a good idea and the overdoing it to the point of running it into the ground. :v:

Ularg posted:

My first thought was prettied-up G3/Stg-44 hybrid.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."

CIGNX posted:

Out of curiosity, what was the problem with the gun being "too realistic?" One of my pet peeves in games are guns designed mostly to look cool with no sense of functionality, so it'd be interesting to hear what can go wrong when you go to the opposite design extreme. Also, what's with those bulges on the side of the rifle?

They wanted it to be immediately obvious that the new Wolfenstein game isn't just "another WW2 shooter" with the same old guns that have been seen before. When you've got giant robots and energy weapons and 'tank dogs' etc, it would seem a bit lame if the Nazis were using plain old StG 44s or MP40s. So they made sci-fi guns, but kept the designs consistent with the aesthetics of actual German weapons.

On the 1946 version of the rifle, he said the things on the side were some kind of "bullet accelerators". Nazi sci-fi technology to make guns more powerful, I guess.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

your evil twin posted:

They wanted it to be immediately obvious that the new Wolfenstein game isn't just "another WW2 shooter" with the same old guns that have been seen before. When you've got giant robots and energy weapons and 'tank dogs' etc, it would seem a bit lame if the Nazis were using plain old StG 44s or MP40s. So they made sci-fi guns, but kept the designs consistent with the aesthetics of actual German weapons.

On the 1946 version of the rifle, he said the things on the side were some kind of "bullet accelerators". Nazi sci-fi technology to make guns more powerful, I guess.

They couldn't make them look like kalashnikovs, either. For obvious reasons.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

The ban list dates from a time when video games weren't around and it's part of ths German constitution so it can't be changed without a good two thirds vote which ain't coming. It's hella old if you're a game dev but it also basically makes neonazi groups in Germany giant jokes as opposed to 25% of their EU parliament delegation like France.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012
Any impressions on the 360 version?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I wanted to stay in space for so much longer than I got to.

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

CowboyAndy posted:

Any impressions on the 360 version?

I got the platinum on the ps4 version then I played to chapter 10 on the 360 version. The visual downgrade is pretty shocking. I don't remember 360 games looking this bad. The frame rate is good, seems like 60fps most of the time. I've seen minor slow downs occasionally and nearly constant screen tearing. The sound mix is actually better on the 360 for me on 5.1 tritton headphones. I didn't have to mute the music to hear the dialogue. The blurry resolution and muddy textures etc are fugly. It's actually semi difficult to pick out all the garbage you to need to grab in this game on the 360.

plape tickler fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 27, 2014

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

The only 2 complaints I really have about the game are

1. The resistance base fetch quest bullshit really wrecks the pacing, though there's a good amount of character development and subtleties present

2.When you go to the moon, and there's not a single nazi walking around outside for me to ambush and kill in an extravagant way.. What a wasted opportunity

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Bolow posted:

The only 2 complaints I really have about the game are

1. The resistance base fetch quest bullshit really wrecks the pacing, though there's a good amount of character development and subtleties present

2.When you go to the moon, and there's not a single nazi walking around outside for me to ambush and kill in an extravagant way.. What a wasted opportunity

Same here. Especially your second point.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I was really enjoying this until about halfway through, when the last sections of the train station and then the sub control room started wrecking me on Uber difficulty and not in a fun way. Even after dropping the difficulty down, the game just wasn't as fun any more and outstayed its welcome. I didn't like either the boss after those parts or the final boss. I wish I had rented it instead.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Started a replay on Wyatt's timeline. Max Hass is one of the saddest things in video games, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

kefkafloyd posted:

Started a replay on Wyatt's timeline. Max Hass is one of the saddest things in video games, I think.

It is very sad. But just imagine him saying "Max rear end" instead.

EDIT: Anyone been spergy enough to do a timeline of post-KO'd BJ events yet? Seems the Panzerhund were the key to beating the poo poo out of the Soviets, Germany turned on Italy for being incompetent, and Germany nailed China in the rear end and Japan became a grateful "client state" sorta.

Props to the devs for even bothering to go into that kind of stuff, it helped a TON with immersion. A timelime may be neat though, if anyone's bothered yet :P

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 27, 2014

• Locked thread