Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

The Gentleman posted:

Oh cool, a good time to host another newbie game.

I will offer to host one, will post details on the server thread in a few days.

I volunteer to play MA Ermor in the newbie game to give it that extra bit of authenticity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Neruz posted:

I volunteer to play MA Ermor in the newbie game to give it that extra bit of authenticity.

Ill be honest I have it in my mind that you need to be Ma Ermor in at least one newbie game per person.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Neruz posted:

Literally undead hitler

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Neruz posted:

Only if you take a blood mage pretender, suicide it to indies on turn 1, and take misfortune 3.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
You don't get the Genuine Dominions 4 Newbie Game Experience without some fucker playing MA Ermor.

The Gentleman
Jun 21, 2012

Neruz posted:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Neruz: The Movie posted:

:munch:

quote:

:suspense:

quote:

:neckbeard:

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

Decrepus posted:

I have uncovered a relic which may men have searched for.

The Niefelheim "I then do absolutely nothing for the first 10-20 turns" strategy guide.

http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=31148

This is the the holy grail, the final answer to the question: "Why does it matter if I only play single-player?" Die cis single-player scum.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Smerdyakov posted:

This is the the holy grail, the final answer to the question: "Why does it matter if I only play single-player?" Die cis single-player scum.

My favorite part is the people saying it's a solid enough strat, just needs a little tweaking.
Also, he's playing with indies turned all the way up, which neuters the AI.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Speleothing posted:

My favorite part is the people saying it's a solid enough strat, just needs a little tweaking.
Also, he's playing with indies turned all the way up, which neuters the AI.

Theoretically, his strategy could work in MP, for a more relaxed sort of play: Since you already know you'll never catch up after 10+ turns of sitting on your rear end, you can go to AI right away. Just sit back and relax. It's gonna be allright (for the other players).

Alternative version: Handycap for players that are just too good.

Edit:

Impressions from Literally, the game with far too much death going on. (Thanks, Lemuria.)

The death of diplomacy. Good night, sweet voidlord and may abominations carry you to your rest.

Squid status: Floating belly-up.
Fish status: 100% Fish and chips.

Lemuria has conquered the ocean. gently caress.

But I have to hand it to the R'lyeh AI, it took one good look at the hordes of nasty wet ghosts flooding it's territory and it went after my coastal provinces instead. Complete with it's entourage of icky monsters. Also I think AI Petala in the north is now larger then it was before it's player went AI. :shepface:

Libluini fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 27, 2014

Peons
Nov 26, 2010
Signed up for the Goon Gaming Service under the same ID as my SA Name.

Want to signup for Turkish Delight but I am literally THAT noob atm :P

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

THAT noob is exactly what noob games are for. When you gently caress up something stupid and cast your nation to utter ruin in an instant you aren't the only one doing it.

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012
As someone who played a lot of (mostly useless) single player before diving into mplayer, once cool thing to keep in mind is that this game can actually be fun to lose. My first loss involved summoning a blood vortex on my own capitol and then grabbing all of the archdevils in a plot to firestorm the army that came to finish me off. My second loss involved putting up astral corruption and then casting horror seed at every army I could see, enemy and allied. It's kinda fun to figure out "what insanely dickish thing can I do now" instead of going AI because you lost your mercenary wager or whatever.

Also, once you realize you've probably lost you magically stop caring about silly things like "managing unrest" or building a mathematically optimal site searching algorithm. It's quite nice

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

TheresNoThyme posted:

As someone who played a lot of (mostly useless) single player before diving into mplayer, once cool thing to keep in mind is that this game can actually be fun to lose. My first loss involved summoning a blood vortex on my own capitol and then grabbing all of the archdevils in a plot to firestorm the army that came to finish me off. My second loss involved putting up astral corruption and then casting horror seed at every army I could see, enemy and allied. It's kinda fun to figure out "what insanely dickish thing can I do now" instead of going AI because you lost your mercenary wager or whatever.

Also, once you realize you've probably lost you magically stop caring about silly things like "managing unrest" or building a mathematically optimal site searching algorithm. It's quite nice

The funny thing is, if you had cast regular Send Horror instead of Horror Seed you would have probably won that game since Astral Corruption + Horrors is one of the best strats in the game by a large margin.

Also you're focusing on blood magic. Good job! You won't be a noob for long at that rate!

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

You probably should have mentioned that in the GGS, because some fucker did, in fact, pick Ermor. (In their defense, I think it is a real, legit newbie and not Neruz)

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I can live with it if everyone else can.

Edit: I should probably qualify that statement by mentioning that I'm playing probably the best nation in MA to fight Ermor with.

The Sharmat fucked around with this message at 05:45 on May 28, 2014

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Yeah I wouldn't mind having a complete and utter newbie playing Ermor. Dom 10 + purgatory = ded skellington

Of course, I say this having never faced an actual real person playing Ermor, so I've got that going for me.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Problem is MA Ermor sucks to play against and sucks to play as. It sucks.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

ChickenWing posted:

Yeah I wouldn't mind having a complete and utter newbie playing Ermor. Dom 10 + purgatory = ded skellington

Of course, I say this having never faced an actual real person playing Ermor, so I've got that going for me.

Don't Do It, It Isn't Fun

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

I'm just going to start my first Dom 4 game as MA Tien Chi in a multiplayer game.

I'm guessing they're still a communion heavy nation with average troops, nothing worth giving a bless to and no special strategies to keep in mind?

M_Bison
Mar 15, 2014

team overhead smash posted:

I'm just going to start my first Dom 4 game as MA Tien Chi in a multiplayer game.

I'm guessing they're still a communion heavy nation with average troops, nothing worth giving a bless to and no special strategies to keep in mind?

Enchantment 4 - > Flaming Arrows
it is a solid early-midgame research goal for any nation that can cast it. 50-100 archers behind a sizable army will hurt your oponnent VERY much. If it's your first game this is a solid core spell for your battles.
Your sacred cavalry is quite baller with a bless, but I'm not entirely sure I'd go for a bless with them. If you do, W9 will make your cavalry real damage powerhouses.

Either get a Dragon pretender(Awake and 9 Dominion for Awe), get a W9 bless for your cavalry or full on scales.

FnF
Apr 10, 2008
I think everyone should play against Ermor at least once, just so that they vow never, ever to play MA again as a nation that doesn't at least stand a chance against zombie skeleton popkill death.

And then completely forget they made that vow, and have to learn that lesson all over again :argh:

(and also forget that LA isn't safe either :argh: :argh: )

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

OK after eyeing up this game for a long long time the sale finally made me crack and buy it.

I'm at a conference though til Saturday, am I still good to get into the newb game after that? I'll be completely 100% new to the game so it should be fairly hilarious :v:

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

thorsilver posted:

OK after eyeing up this game for a long long time the sale finally made me crack and buy it.

I'm at a conference though til Saturday, am I still good to get into the newb game after that? I'll be completely 100% new to the game so it should be fairly hilarious :v:

I'm kind of in the same boat, with the added bonus of having multiple weddings (including my own) to go to this summer so play time will be limited :v:

The Gentleman
Jun 21, 2012
The newb game is filled for now, but I might put up a new one if my computer can handle this one well.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
Gotten really into Dwarf Fortress lately and while Dominions is not the same kind of game, it does share the ridiculous depth which is great. Might have to pick this up now that it is 50% off.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Anyone have any ideas as to what I can accomplish with lowish research casters that are guaranteed water? EA TCs masters of the way seem like they don't have much going for them until you get much higher levels of research - the most use I can see getting out of them is dessication and cold bolt.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Give em a gem and have them summon a water elemental.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Water or Ice elemental. Low research water isn't that impressive imo. Later on though you get Frozen Heart which can be cool.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Decrepus posted:

Water or Ice elemental. Low research water isn't that impressive imo. Later on though you get Frozen Heart which can be cool.

I'm looking forward to frozen heart with great anticipation, but yeah at this point my mages are pretty much relegated to blessings and dessication (which will hopefully turn out to be useful vs mictlan's jags).

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Just don't throw your mages away so that way you have them to defend the cap once you are thrown back to it.

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

Decrepus posted:

Just don't throw your mages away so that way you have them to defend the cap once you are thrown back to it.

A thousand times this. Not only do you need a good research stack to make all your combat mages more relevant, they can also turn the whole game around during a cap siege if your opponent has gotten overconfident. Adding 1-2 low level mages to an army generally doesn't add much punch until mid to late game, but a stack of 30+ of them can wipe out a lot of armies without sustaining many casualties.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
EA TC's Master of the Way are honestly never useful. Sorry, they just aren't. W1 S1 can be used as communion mages, but the rest need a hell of a lot of expensive help to go anywhere. Your real combat powerhouses are the Celestial Masters, which can cast Acid Rain in a pinch, if nothing else, and communion for fire and lightning and astral. Masters of the Five Elements can sometimes Earthpower or Phoenix Power to combat usefulness, too.

In fact, I'd say about 70% of nations have lovely non-combat second tier mages. That's just how Dominions is; your mages that aren't top tier usually can't cut it as combat mages.

If you need to delay jags using Masters of the Way, you need to look at their randoms for the right spells. S1 can do Body Ethereal, which is useful vs jags if they don't have Fire or Death blesses. N1 can cast Swarm or Tangle Vines. A1 might be worth boosting for Freezing Mist, but generally speaking Orb Lightning is the best you'll get out of them. W2 might try Wave Warriors, or at lower research Numbness. Mostly though, you'll have to rely on as many composite bows and indep short bows as you can gather, and maybe Flaming Arrows if you have Ench 4.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

TheDemon posted:

EA TC's Master of the Way are honestly never useful. Sorry, they just aren't. W1 S1 can be used as communion mages, but the rest need a hell of a lot of expensive help to go anywhere. Your real combat powerhouses are the Celestial Masters, which can cast Acid Rain in a pinch, if nothing else, and communion for fire and lightning and astral. Masters of the Five Elements can sometimes Earthpower or Phoenix Power to combat usefulness, too.

In fact, I'd say about 70% of nations have lovely non-combat second tier mages. That's just how Dominions is; your mages that aren't top tier usually can't cut it as combat mages.

If you need to delay jags using Masters of the Way, you need to look at their randoms for the right spells. S1 can do Body Ethereal, which is useful vs jags if they don't have Fire or Death blesses. N1 can cast Swarm or Tangle Vines. A1 might be worth boosting for Freezing Mist, but generally speaking Orb Lightning is the best you'll get out of them. W2 might try Wave Warriors, or at lower research Numbness. Mostly though, you'll have to rely on as many composite bows and indep short bows as you can gather, and maybe Flaming Arrows if you have Ench 4.

Somehow I figured that would be the case. I figure in the end the S1 guys will be good communion fodder and the rest will be mass-recruitable research bitches. Celestial Masters are cool, but the StR is murder. I've been mass-recruiting Mot5E - I figure most of them can get a useful 2/1 evocation and once I have more celestial masters I can craft a whole ton of slave/crystal matricies for communions. In fact, I really don't ever plan on taking a lot of CMs out of my cap, and just leaving them on summon/craft duty.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Never underestimate the power of slime against melee troops. It breaks up formations and renders everything it hits pretty much useless in melee.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...
Frozen Heart is awesome but has a few pitfalls. It's weak against the Undead, and Thugs with Frost Brands are going to shrug it off or require a ton of Frozen Heart to kill. Otherwise, it's an awesome way to get value out of your labrats.

Basic Water Elementals are good.

Water Bracelets can be made very affordably with Dwarven Hammers, bringing your 1W guys up to 2W for things like Cleansing Water and Rain, or over-gemming into W3 magic like bigger elementals and Falling Frost.

M_Bison
Mar 15, 2014

dis astranagant posted:

Never underestimate the power of slime against melee troops. It breaks up formations and renders everything it hits pretty much useless in melee.

I Second this. This is the reason you build the W researchers as Caelum.

I'm also curious what kind of scales you went for in the Court of Life game Nuclearmonkee , F9W9 seems like the best bless ever, but you can't get it witgout trash scales?

M_Bison fucked around with this message at 12:15 on May 30, 2014

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

M_Bison posted:

I Second this. This is the reason you build the W researchers as Caelum.

I'm also curious what kind of scales you went for in the Court of Life game Nuclearmonkee , F9W9 seems like the best bless ever, but you can't get it witgout trash scales?

Imprisoned Statue of War f9w9e2. Dom 8, Order3, Sloth2, Heat1, Death2, Luck0, Drain1. Obviously not kitfox scales. I gambled on being able to expand very well in the early game to outrun my scales and get golds, which happened. Could also do misfortune but I generally try to avoid that unless my nation would be hurt by death. In this case all of my mages were strong N mages and not old so there was no reason not to.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 17:09 on May 30, 2014

blazin961
Mar 17, 2010
Signed up for the Goon Gaming Service under the same ID as my SA Name.

Look forward to the new game after being away for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Could also do misfortune but I generally try to avoid that unless my nation would be hurt by death. In this case all of my mages were strong N mages and not old so there was no reason not to.

I don't get it, does the death scale affect aging?

• Locked thread