Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Tallgeese posted:

I feel as if even though the game's graphical fidelity is better, the game's weapon design is a little worse.

Like, if I compare DS1 Ricard's Rapier to DS2's, even though they are almost the same DS2's just looks less elegant to me.

EDIT: Though boy are its R2s incredible.

it's in general just artistically less interesting. outside of like the first time you enter Majula and Dragon Aerie, no part of the game really wowed me, and a lot of the weapons and armor lean towards plain-looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Night Blade posted:

Yeah, a lot of enemies in this game don't like following the game's rules and these guys are one of them. Here's another fun enemy: The next time you beat Belfry Gargoyles go down into that little area with the dogs and fight the phantom there, get a great shield and block his attacks; now marvel at both amount of times he can attack, and his complete lack of recovery animation.

It's bothered me since DS1 how your weapons will glance off walls and the environment but enemies get to attack through anything.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Cardboard Box posted:

it's in general just artistically less interesting. outside of like the first time you enter Majula and Dragon Aerie, no part of the game really wowed me, and a lot of the weapons and armor lean towards plain-looking.

I had the opposite feeling when it came to weapons and armor. I like the armor sets in Dark Souls 2 a lot more than those in 1. Chaos set, Syan's set, Alva set, Velstadt's set, Archdrake set, Drangleic, the Alonne varieties, Black Dragon...poo poo, it's just a good looking game armor wise.

I didn't feel like there was nearly as good of variety in DS1 armor-wise.

Edit: I forgot Drakekeeper, Llewellyn, Faraam, King's set... :v:

It's a long list and most of it is aesthetically pleasing.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

yeah I mean there's still a decent amount of good-looking sets. I'd take the armor designs in these games over anything like Skyrim or whatever. Fashion Souls still reigns supreme.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Cyberventurer posted:

Okay, I guess my attempt at a Gigan costume set didn't work out after all. Kinda wish I tried on the first Malformed Claw to see what it looked like before I farmed up the second for dual-wielding.

My god, its beautiful. I really hope you invade some people just to see what reaction they have to that charging at them.

EDIT: The armour in this game is great, I don't get how you could be disappointed with it. So many cool and unique sets. Ironclad Set, Mirror Knight, Jester, Dragon Acolyte, Shadow Set, Grave Warden, gently caress there's too many to list. Armour in this game rules.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 27, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Lucatiel's coat was pretty cool. The Elite Knight set is great as well, though it's pretty much the same as in Dark Souls I think.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Going back to the armor set list from DS1 I don't know how anyone can claim DS2 is less interesting visually on that front. DS1 honestly doesn't have that many armor sets, and a lot of them are doofy as hell looking. Or they take forever to get.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Well I just killed Vendrick with just 4 giant souls. He wasn't too bad. More annoying than his power or move set was the fact that Great Combustion practically couldn't hit him. I'm glad now I decided to try out/ fully upgrade the Mirrah Greatsword. I love my dex weapons, but Ricard's really wouldn't have cut it for that fight.

I'm not gonna ascetic that other area to get that ring but I'll try a few more tactics on the ancient dragon before giving up.

Only after I do everything else though.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Eh, I think Dark Souls had plenty of good pieces of armour, just not as many as Dark Souls 2. Demon's Souls is where I felt the armour was really lacking. I like the game but something about all the characters just looked off to me. The sets had a cheap plastic feeling to them. The knight set in particular shows this off, it looks much better in the later games.

VVV The only set I really miss is the Set of Favor.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

DS2 is missing Black Knight, Silver Knight, Brass, and Ornstein's Armor. A terrible crime.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Tallgeese posted:

DS2 is missing Black Knight, Silver Knight, Brass, and Ornstein's Armor. A terrible crime.

Also a TRUE Xanthous Crown.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Night Blade posted:

After grabbing Flame Weapon for my NG+ pure melee who's favorite weapon is the Great Club, I decide to go to the Blue Sentinels area for some good old fashioned dueling!

Just don't do the arenas. Stop by occasionally to get the state of the Souls but they're by design the min-maxiest places in a game with no reason to min. I keep saying this but it's just not hard to buy orbs, if you start running out of money put on a life ring and host.

quote:

Yeah, a lot of enemies in this game don't like following the game's rules and these guys are one of them. Here's another fun enemy: The next time you beat Belfry Gargoyles go down into that little area with the dogs and fight the phantom there, get a great shield and block his attacks; now marvel at both amount of times he can attack, and his complete lack of recovery animation.

The loving turtle NPC before the OIK bonfire is the maddest I've been at this game. Can't parry him, can't backstab him, couldn't stagger him with my dinky dex weapons, and he could swing forever.

If you walk all the way back out he gets leashed at the end of the hallway and you can bow him to death.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Tallgeese posted:

Really miss the Paladin set too, though the helmet is still in the game as the infantry helm, inexplicably. Plus the channeler's set, big hat logan's set, the Pinwheel masks (overused as they were)

Dark Souls 1 had good armor and so does Dark Souls 2 IMO

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Eh, I think Dark Souls had plenty of good pieces of armour, just not as many as Dark Souls 2. Demon's Souls is where I felt the armour was really lacking. I like the game but something about all the characters just looked off to me. The sets had a cheap plastic feeling to them. The knight set in particular shows this off, it looks much better in the later games.

VVV The only set I really miss is the Set of Favor.

The armor looking plastic was more due to Demon's Souls being older I think. I do kinda miss Doran's ridiculous and awful armor, it was so stupid. Doran's face mask is way better than Lucy's.

Plus you had the big stupid yellow turban hat. Way better than the DkS2 one.

Kerc Kasha
Apr 18, 2007

Tallgeese posted:

The lack of GIANTS GIANTS, GIANTS is more of a crime

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Just don't do the arenas. Stop by occasionally to get the state of the Souls but they're by design the min-maxiest places in a game with no reason to min. I keep saying this but it's just not hard to buy orbs, if you start running out of money put on a life ring and host.

The loving turtle NPC before the OIK bonfire is the maddest I've been at this game. Can't parry him, can't backstab him, couldn't stagger him with my dinky dex weapons, and he could swing forever.

If you walk all the way back out he gets leashed at the end of the hallway and you can bow him to death.

Eh, the arenas aren't nearly as twinked as you make them out to be. I've gone all the way to rank 2 Blue Sentinels, and there's been a LOT of arena duelling in that. I win far more than I lose with nothing more than a Black Knight Great Sword, a whip, a pyromancy flame, and a Rebel's Greatshield.

Most folks aren't that twinked. You get the occasional dual Avelyn and/or Santiers+Monastery Scimitar poo poo burglar but not many.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Tallgeese posted:

This had me the most upset. He returns but his armor doesn't.

Nobody wants the dragonrider armor.

Goddamn fatty. :colbert:

Demon souls armor shows it's age. I did like the general hat though. I always wore it around.

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

And now you read this in a seally Svedisch accent Jå?
I wish Smough's armor had returned. :(

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Cardboard Box posted:

I thought the Shrine of Amana and Heide's Tower of Flame both looked as good as anything in the series has. And the leadup to the Looking Glass Knight is fantastic.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

Going back to the armor set list from DS1 I don't know how anyone can claim DS2 is less interesting visually on that front. DS1 honestly doesn't have that many armor sets, and a lot of them are doofy as hell looking. Or they take forever to get.

I think I just miss the silver knight armor hahaha. there might also be some rose-tinted glasses with Dark Souls 1, it has been a couple years since I played it.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I thought the Shrine of Amana and Heide's Tower of Flame both looked as good as anything in the series has. And the leadup to the Looking Glass Knight is fantastic.

oh, yeah, Shrine of Amana looks nice. I wasn't really impressed by Heide's Tower of Flame.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Cyberventurer posted:

Okay, I guess my attempt at a Gigan costume set didn't work out after all. Kinda wish I tried on the first Malformed Claw to see what it looked like before I farmed up the second for dual-wielding.

I think this looks fantastic.

I keep telling my Gamera-loving buddy he can cosplay Gamera, but he just won't do it.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Cardboard Box posted:

What about the Dragon Aerie? I thought the landscape of petrified Archtrees and rope bridges was really cool.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I thought people might have been exaggerating but this guy in the wheelchair seriously can't go more than 2 sentences without saying the word "dark".

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

I thought people might have been exaggerating but this guy in the wheelchair seriously can't go more than 2 sentences without saying the word "dark".

He's practically a Kingdom Hearts character.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Night Blade posted:

He's practically a Kingdom Hearts character.

Darklurker wouldn't look out of place as a boss in that series either. Maybe add a few zippers.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

How does he get around in that wheelchair anyway? I don't see any handicap accessible ramps in Drangleic.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Fister Roboto posted:

How does he get around in that wheelchair anyway? I don't see any handicap accessible ramps in Drangleic.

I don't know, but I'm pretty sure the answer involves the word dark.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mr Wikstroem posted:

I wish Smough's armor had returned. :(

I wanted the black iron armor and the boar helmet. RIP Iron Tarkus and pigs.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Fister Roboto posted:

He walks when you aren't looking. He just uses that wheelchair so you'll pity him, the scumbag.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Using the dark obviously.

Zero Initiative
Nov 6, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

He got lost.

Shouldn't have taken that left turn at Alva-querque.
Nyeeeh, what's up, dark?

But to follow-up on my previous post, is there anything more versatile than swapping between mace and longsword? I can't think of anything faster than a mace that could effectively take out armored targets.

Zero Initiative fucked around with this message at 04:23 on May 27, 2014

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Zero Initiative posted:

He got lost.

Shouldn't have taken that left turn at Alva-querque.
Nyeeeh, what's up, dark?

But to follow-up on my previous post, is there anything more versatile than swapping between mace and longsword? I can't think of anything faster than a mace that could effectively take out armored targets.

Club. And it has better scaling.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

What is it with guys in chairs and the dark?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

argondamn posted:

What is it with guys in chairs and the dark?

The disabled are evil and must be wiped from the face of the earth

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

You joke(?), but that's actually a subconscious thing for many, many people.

A little Dark humor there, huh?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Fuzz posted:

the Large Club and Great Club are both fantastic, the former carried me through most of the game, but at some point I just got tired of using it. I still pull it out occasionally when dealing with heavily armored enemies (like the turtle dudes in Iron Keep). I'm not sure which is overall better, the LC has slightly lower base damage but an S in strength scaling and the other has more base damage but A scaling. they're probably roughly equivalent.

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

Come, young undead. Embrace the dark and take a load off.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

How crazy is the step up in souls gained from ng(that's your first play through right?) and ng+?

Also can someone give me a spoilered hint at all the things I should make sure to not miss that wouldn't really be noticed otherwise before I dive into ng+? It would be cool and helpful.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

Fuzz posted:

The club is not faster than the mace - they have the exact same moveset other than the 1 handed r1s, which have either the exact same timing/stamina consumption, or the difference is imperceptible. Also, while the club does have better scaling it does less damage even at very high strength so it's pretty irrelevant. The mace also does more poise damage. If you want an upgrade to the mace, and infused barbed club is better.

Cardboard Box posted:

the Large Club and Great Club are both fantastic, the former carried me through most of the game, but at some point I just got tired of using it. I still pull it out occasionally when dealing with heavily armored enemies (like the turtle dudes in Iron Keep). I'm not sure which is overall better, the LC has slightly lower base damage but an S in strength scaling and the other has more base damage but A scaling. they're probably roughly equivalent.

Much like the club vs. mace, the large club's superior scaling is irrelevant because it does less damage even at very high strength. (The two weapons sadly have the exact same moveset unlike in DS1)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Huh, I didn't know it was even possible to stagger those guys. My method of killing them was just baiting that downward swing, rolling in, hitting them, then rolling out when they redo the downward swing because apparently that's all they like to do in hallways.