Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
I have never thrown a curve ball close to where I intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I like how they have the baseball glossary in Franchise Mode. All of a sudden in RTTS I got worried that after a September call-up while playing every game I wouldn't qualify for as a rookie the next year (vain desire to be RotY). Then I remembered the glossary thing and unless I have 60 ABs in 5 games I'll be okay.

Anyone else "stuck" DHing? Even though I get maybe 2 chances on average at 3rd I'd like the 16 training points that go with it as it adds up.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
So how long before I can expect to be called up? I'm starting LF for the Mariners' AA club, and exceeding expectations in the player comparison with a .300 + average, 9 home runs, and almost 40 RBIs. My fielding pct is like .975. The LF for the Mariners is sucking things up and the starter for the Rainiers (their AAA) club is merely mediocre. I'm mid-to-late May in my first season.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

So I've been dicking around with this game and I have to say I don't understand base running at ALL. I cannot figure out why the gently caress the game does any decisions with the baserunning. I try to stop and my guy just wobbles backa nd forth and gets out. I try to hold up at 1st base and he tries to run to 2nd. I don't understand. I also found that the game is way more fun pitching than hitting. Maybe thats because I am terrible entertained throwing 80 99-101mph fast balls. Bringing the heat :getin:

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
This game frustrates the gently caress out of me lol. RELEASE: PERFECT. PITCH: NOWHERE CLOSE

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

The meter pitching is more fun and gives you greater control but I find it a lot trickier, end up laying a lot of stuff right over the plate.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
In Spring training my second year and I'm listed as MLB bench at 3B. Great, except the is no other 3B on the roster and the lineup page shows a CF that only has OF as a second position is the starting 3B. Since it's Spring training I start every game anyway, but wonder what happens when the season starts.

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005
I loving suck at pitching, but tonight I decided to play while very drunk and suddenly I became some kind of pitching savant and pitched my first shutout game in three years of playing MLB The Show. Go figure.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

paint dry posted:

I loving suck at pitching, but tonight I decided to play while very drunk and suddenly I became some kind of pitching savant and pitched my first shutout game in three years of playing MLB The Show. Go figure.

Pitching is pretty fun drunk but I cannot hit for poo poo while even buzzed, or with tired eyes. Drunk knuckleballing is great, though.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
I hit like poo poo normally but when I'm even slightly tired it's impossible.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

Just threw a no hitter in my 16 team online draft league with greinke! No walks 16k, my catcher Rosario overthrew 1B by a mile after a cb in the dirt for strike 3. I'm pretty pumped.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Why does it randomly say that I got a poor jump or a good jump when I always take one extra step off the bag and make it by miles with 78 speed stealing second and third every time I get on base?

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
My first foray into RttS as a first basemen and GODDAMN! does it seem like the CPU bunts every other at-bat! I figured there'd be a slider for CPU Bunt Frequency or somesuch, but there isn't.

At least I was able to tone down the CPU attempting to pick me off with a one-stride lead like 20 times in a row. Maybe next year's release they'll include a hidden trigger that causes the crowd to start throwing trash on the field after the pitcher attempts like his 10th pick-off in a single AB.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
I have the same experience and even with the slider for pick offs turned all the way down they still throw over way more than would ever happen in real baseball. I also just switched to second base to stop seeing so many bunts.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Grem posted:

I have the same experience and even with the slider for pick offs turned all the way down they still throw over way more than would ever happen in real baseball. I also just switched to second base to stop seeing so many bunts.

I still see a ton of bunts at second base.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
Just had a CPU bunt off a bounce of a curveball in the dirt. This game loves its bunting.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

I've seen Miguel Cabrera try to bunt for a base hit

Dr Geek
Jan 28, 2007
If anyone wants to play now or in the next hour or so, add me, psn: Unclecaveman69

Edit: on ps4

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

What s the deal with my online games having my SP tired so early? I just started a game with the Rangers and Darvish started out with the message "Darvish is getting tired"

OMGzKakaniz
Mar 13, 2007

up-and coming pokemon trainer

:love: Justice
Didn't realize but the game doesn't automatically take you off of beginner mode for hitting. So much for easy home runs :( . I should be good on dynamic mode, this being my first MLBTS game, right? Just got upgraded to Rookie+ and already noticing a difference.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Kanish posted:

What s the deal with my online games having my SP tired so early? I just started a game with the Rangers and Darvish started out with the message "Darvish is getting tired"

Did you accidentally select a tired pitcher? He won't regain his energy until you use your other starters.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

I just pulled off the ol' show bunt, pull it back and hit the easy single online, baseball rules.

crackage
Sep 20, 2004

by Ralp
I finally got my wi-fi fixed. Holy hell is Diamond Dynasty a blast. I'm still on my first wave of free-agents so it's going to be interesting putting my next team together. I plan on using all MLBers with a few big names off the Buyers Market. Anyone care to share their strategies for team building?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Don't build your team around MLBers or you'll have to redo your team every 10 games. Also they can't be trained so a 81 overall will always be an 81 overall. DD players can be trained so a guy that starts good can become great. You can only train 750k per player per game they're active for though so keep that in mind. Also some C+ guys are flat out better than some B+ guys so look at the actual ratings before combining or activating cards.

Keep in mind that a player with high potential but low initial ratings will cost a lot to train, while a maxed out (or nearly maxed out) player won't progress any but you won't have to dump more money into him.

Combining two F cards will usually get you a C or C+ with a small chance of a B-.

Extra Innings games don't give you the same rewards that Head to Head games do, and they also don't count toward your players stats (but DO count off of their contract) so try to play as much H2H as you can.

I pretty much only use MLB relievers and occasionally starters. You can buy the 2,000,000 MLB role player pack and combine the 4 relievers you get into 2 70-80 rated relievers. I also only keep 3 'real' relievers at any one time with the rest being DD roster spot fillers.

Don't have 2 good fully rested starters active at the same time. If you do then send one to reserves and fill his spot with a junk player. You'll get more games out of your pitchers that way. They don't regain energy in reserves but if they're already full they don't need to.

crackage
Sep 20, 2004

by Ralp
Wow I'm suprised that focusing on DD players is a thing, but then again I've stayed away from training in my 9 or so games so far. I guess that just even adds more depth to the game. Thanks for the tips.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Well, you get to keep them for 30-40 games instead of 10, so a stud DD player is worth a lot more than a stud MLB player. There are no contract extensions so those 10 games on that Cabrerra card actually means 10 games.

If you're just starting, though, you may be better off with MLB guys. The guys on your team aren't very trainable or highly rated so a cheap 70-85 overall MLB guy could be an upgrade. I'm on my second 'iteration' of my team though, where I basically just trained a couple guys and used mediocre players and a couple MLB hole fillers to get through the first 35 games or so, and I saved the money I got for playing so I could build a really good team the second time around. It worked out and I have a really stud team this time; almost all As with good ratings and 35-40 games.

crackage
Sep 20, 2004

by Ralp
All the games I've ran into have been very good connections, too. Not the same as my online ranked games...it almost seems like people sit on one pitch, hit a dinger, then lag like hell the rest of the game in that mode. I'm going to try building a team full of contact hitters in DD since for some ungodly reason I'm good with the PCI stick.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Aha, I think I got the hang of pitching. I focused on training up my slider, apparently a high-80s slider is a devastating out pitch when you've got a fastball that hits 100 and a mid-80s circle change. Now I'm on a string of quality starts instead of getting blown up every start. Except when you hang it. Don't hang it. :smith:

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Despite having an abysmal batting average my 3rd year in the majors, I constantly swing for the fences & have enough HR's at the midway point that I got an invite to the HR Derby.

Apparently, you can't skip to your own AB's; you have to watch the other players too. What a drag.

Dr Geek
Jan 28, 2007
Just had an amazing offline Franchise game. I did a fantasy draft for the Blue Jays, and we were playing an interleague game in Cincinatti. Cliff Lee took a shutout into the 8th inning before giving up a solo homer, but it was okay because a few innings prior, I hit back to back homers with Cliff Lee and Juan Pierre, and a few batters later hit one with John McDonald too. There's nothing better than destroying opposing pitching with your own pitcher and backup players. Ended up winning 18-1, Juan Pierre was the player of the game going 6/7 with a HR, 2 2B and 3 RBI, while Cliff Lee was 2/6 with a HR, 2B and 2 RBI lol.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Soooo, hitting even on Rookie is hard as gently caress? I like the idea of dynamic difficulties and beginner got way too easy, but going from beginner 6/6 to Rookie feels like jumping from medium to expert in Rock Band and completely forgoing hard. I've followed the tips in this thread but I'm sitting just above .200 and I feel like a sucklord.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

Just keep looking at pitches. It'll click eventually. Watch and see what the ball does chat after it comes out of the pitchers hand. Curveballs will "pop" noticeably.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
Through 6 1/3 hitless in a scoreless game on just 63 pitches (the game won't let me strike anyone out now, despite having a k/9 of 12 after about half the season) in my RTTS, I give up a bloop single to Rajai Davis, the coach takes me out (???!?!??!) and the reliever gives up a first pitch home run to Miguel Cabrera, giving me the loss. gently caress this stupid loving game, god drat.

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005
Man, the AI makes weird decisions sometimes. Ichiro is playing Double-A ball in my RTTS game.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Adding to list of things that slightly annoy me but don't hurt the game much: RTTS game scheduling. CPU just loves scheduling Sat-Sun-Mon series.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
So my second baseman got traded to the braves, promptly got promoted to AAA, and then up to the majors to replace Uggla who is apparently a 71. I have no where near the contact stats I need for the majors so I'm batting like .184 and I can't get enough hits to raise my stats at all. Its a vicious cycle.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

DrNutt posted:

Soooo, hitting even on Rookie is hard as gently caress? I like the idea of dynamic difficulties and beginner got way too easy, but going from beginner 6/6 to Rookie feels like jumping from medium to expert in Rock Band and completely forgoing hard. I've followed the tips in this thread but I'm sitting just above .200 and I feel like a sucklord.

I can't hit worth a flying gently caress. I just can't seem to *get* it. I'm playing an offline franchise and I just Player Lock the pitcher and have the settings so that I watch the "Deciding Count" on the hits. It's pretty cool and I don't get frustrated by not being able to hit the broad side of a barn.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Waffles Inc. posted:

I can't hit worth a flying gently caress. I just can't seem to *get* it. I'm playing an offline franchise and I just Player Lock the pitcher and have the settings so that I watch the "Deciding Count" on the hits. It's pretty cool and I don't get frustrated by not being able to hit the broad side of a barn.

Check to see if your TV has a Game Mode setting that you can put it on. It may reduce the display latency. Also, change your hitting view to catcher 2 and start out by covering either the top half or the bottom half of the strike zone. Do not swing at anything outside of the half you are covering. Once you've started recognizing pitches a little better, you can start mixing up your plate coverage between pitches in an effort to guess where the pitcher is going to throw.

Also, something that helped me a little bit was forcing myself to NEVER EVER swing at the first pitch. I don't care if it's right down the middle of home plate, try forcing yourself to not swing at it. Being able to lay off pitches is something that is hard for most new players. Once you feel like you've mastered enough self control not to swing at stupid pitches, you can switch back to allowing yourself to swing at first pitches.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

How the hell do I see where my last few pitches have gone in RTTS as a pitcher.

Because I want a screenshot of that ball that was within the strike zone by 1-2 inches on the corners that was called a ball.

This by the ump who had previously called a low pitch a strike, but before that called a low strike a ball.

I think I should just turn off this loving variable umpire bullshit.

e: 2 walks on 8 pitches, 4 of which would have been objectively strikes...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
For me it seems like the biggest gently caress you Ump is stealing. Seems like they call anything close as out, even when you can look at the replay and see you beat the tag. Turning variable calls off seems like such a huge cop out, though.

Besides, one of my best baseball memories was being at a Reds game with my cousin back in high school next to a painfully drunk man screaming at "Blue" all game. By the 4rth inning we were spending more time egging the guy on than watching the game. "Hey, man, did that look like a strike to you?"

• Locked thread