Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Mercury Crusader posted:

What if Tarkir is basically Mongolian Kamigawa, with every rare creature in Khans of Tarkir being a legend? :tinfoil:

I don't know if that's a thing that can happen, my history knowledge is limited to the World Wars and the spotty history of the Philippines.

Well let me be the first to recommend a pretty good and accessible biography of Genghis Khan and the empire he created, then: Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World. Good read. I think there's an audiobook version on Audible if that's more your thing.

Temujin starts his life as the son of a low-class hunter in a steppes consumed by tribal warfare, loses his extended family and is made an outlaw, and ultimately sold into slavery. By force of will and a revolutionary view of transforming and ending the Steppe's endless cycle of tribal strife, he defeats and consumes all the various tribes of the Steppes, transforming what was a multiple loose tribal associations of hunters raiding each other into a unified state based on meritocracy with then-strange things like religious freedom, a non-repressive multi-cultural society, a unique martial code, and what amounted to an executive royalty that actually was beholden to law. There's a reason why there's a joke that the Mongolians are the exception to basically everything about ancient civilizations; they never even bothered to adopt large scale agriculture beyond free-range herding.

The fact that they didn't engage in agriculture actually worked vastly to their benefit; by comparison to other armies that mostly had infantry that ate millet-based gruel that really didn't do much for their health, the Mongol's largely meat-and-dairy diet made their soldiers capable of fighting waaay longer and waaay more proficiently than basically everyone they went up against. Combine that with their expert horsemanship (the whole "living in the saddle" thing is pretty much no joke) and obsession with ranged warfare driving them to be reaallly creative about warfare (beyond just being master horseback archers, there's a lot of interesting cultural taboos / religious practice about blood and smells that all in all made them very prone towards finding solutions that involve killing people without having to get too close to them).

All I want really in terms of flavor-theming out of the block really is a card that represents diverting a river to obliterate a fortification. When the Mongolians first tried the trick they accidentally destroyed their own camp instead of the town they were besieging, but they got it right the second time. And all the times after that.

It's a really interesting culture / society. They were definitely quite brutal to be sure, but hell, all the societies they conquered and absorbed tended to be faaaar worse. Hell, a lot of the notoriety associated with them was actually Mongol propaganda designed to intimidate people into surrendering so that they wouldn't have to bother with actually fighting. They loved them some propaganda.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 07:47 on May 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Zorak posted:

All I want really in terms of flavor-theming out of the block really is a card that represents diverting a river to obliterate a fortification. When the Mongolians first tried the trick they accidentally destroyed their own camp instead of the town they were besieging, but they got it right the second time. And all the times after that.

Perfect opportunity for a reprint:

BrokenKnees
Aug 28, 2008

Ow.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

But those were the best parts of Kamigawa :( Is that really what people didn't like? I can understand not wanting to do large numbers of incredibly lovely Legend-"tribal" support cards, but did people really just not like having Legendaries in general?

I loved Kamigawa block, I'm working on remaking the samurai and spiritcraft decks I had at the time before I sold my collection around Shards of Alara. I think what hurt it the most was falling between Mirrodin and Ravnica. Cards from the set have seen more play in other formats, like Sensei's Diving Top, the Spirit Dragons, etc.

I don't know what the playerbase as a whole thought, but Mark Rosewater has mentioned it as something that hurt the block overall.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Zorak posted:

Well let me be the first to recommend a pretty good and accessible biography of Genghis Khan and the empire he created, then: Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World.

I'll have to give that a read. History in general is about the only topic I will read on a recreational basis. That there was so much expansion in the Mongol Empire in such as short span of time intrigues me.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Sounds like the problem wasn't so much "Too many legendaries" but rather "Needs more legendaries", let's have an all-legend set like Alara Reborn was all-gold. :getin:

Vanilla Grizzly Bears and Gray Ogres that are legendary. And to make them work at common/limited, there's three or four of each.

I do wonder if they'd ever try something like a "legendary instant/sorcery" or whatever. Pokemon has a subset of Trainer cards that is limited to one of that specific type in a deck (ACE Spec). For example, Computer Search and Master Ball are both ACE Spec cards, so you can only run one or the other in a deck but not both. I don't know if something like that would actually work in Magic.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Mercury Crusader posted:

Vanilla Grizzly Bears and Gray Ogres that are legendary. And to make them work at common/limited, there's three or four of each.

I do wonder if they'd ever try something like a "legendary instant/sorcery" or whatever. Pokemon has a subset of Trainer cards that is limited to one of that specific type in a deck (ACE Spec). For example, Computer Search and Master Ball are both ACE Spec cards, so you can only run one or the other in a deck but not both. I don't know if something like that would actually work in Magic.

Not really, legendary rules only really have a purpose in relation to permanents. Other games like Hearthstone limit the number of cards you can have in your deck, but beyond that... ehhhhh. It would be flavor text with some bonuses more than anything.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Elyv posted:

I'm pretty sure he's talking about the 1W Masques enchantment.

(for the record, I don't think it would make much of an impact; it gives you -1 card when you play it and is really slow.)
Yea I did and I agree with you.
Of course hymn is powerful but thanks for the lectures, other people.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Mercury Crusader posted:

The epic cycle from Saviors(Enduring Ideal and 4 other cards that no one remembers) were an attempt to make legendary sorceries.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Mercury Crusader posted:

I'll have to give that a read. History in general is about the only topic I will read on a recreational basis. That there was so much expansion in the Mongol Empire in such as short span of time intrigues me.

Maybe if two legendary instant/societies are on the stack at once they cancel out?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Mercury Crusader posted:

I only have a passing familiarity with the Pokemon TCG (played it as a kid and tried the online flash version for a bit more recently), but it seems like that game has a couple of elements that make the ACE Spec mechanic work better there. The draw power is insane so you can reliably draw most of your deck; trainer cards are all colorless and can be tossed into any deck; and ACE Spec is evergreen.

In Magic, draw power isn't as crazy so you'd be less likely to see your ACE Spec, which means anyone lucky enough to randomly draw their ACE Spec would have randomly stumbled into a major advantage. And between the color system and only having ACE Specs around for one block, the pool of ACE Specs would be so limited that you wouldn't have many options when deciding which ACE Spec to put in any given deck.

I like the idea of Legendary Instants/Sorceries, but if they ever do print them I'm guessing they'll be more like Tribal Instants/Sorceries than ACE Specs.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

Maybe if two legendary instant/societies are on the stack at once they cancel out?

If they made it like how legendary permanents work now and you can decide between which of the two legendary instants on the stack stays on, that might be interesting on paper. I have no idea if that kind of stack shenanigans would work in practice, though.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Could have it instead be after you cast it, exile each other copy from your hand/library.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
Maybe exile it and go what Godsend does where you can't cast another copy. Is there a better way of achieving that effect? If they're mythic you could use an emblem.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

TheLawinator posted:

Could have it instead be after you cast it, exile each other copy from your hand/library.
That would add shuffling to the game, which Wizards generally tries to limit. Still, in a certain format or if there was a good enough design with the card, I can see it happening.

BrokenKnees
Aug 28, 2008

Ow.

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

Maybe exile it and go what Godsend does where you can't cast another copy. Is there a better way of achieving that effect? If they're mythic you could use an emblem.

It could exile any copies from hand/library/graveyard face down to limit their use. Add a bonus for each copy exiled or an emblem to have some small recurring effect and prevents you from playing more copies or making copies.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

BrokenKnees posted:

It could exile any copies from hand/library/graveyard face down to limit their use. Add a bonus for each copy exiled or an emblem to have some small recurring effect and prevents you from playing more copies or making copies.

Doing stuff with your library as a drawback is pretty bad rules-wise - Magic tries very hard to avoid relying on the honor system, and explicitly allows you to "fail to find" a specific card in your library even if it's actually there. And I don't see anything that doing it this way actually gains you over just exiling the first spell and not being able to cast other spells with the same name.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Zorak posted:

Well let me be the first to recommend a pretty good and accessible biography of Genghis Khan and the empire he created, then: Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World. Good read. I think there's an audiobook version on Audible if that's more your thing.

Temujin starts his life as the son of a low-class hunter in a steppes consumed by tribal warfare, loses his extended family and is made an outlaw, and ultimately sold into slavery. By force of will and a revolutionary view of transforming and ending the Steppe's endless cycle of tribal strife, he defeats and consumes all the various tribes of the Steppes, transforming what was a multiple loose tribal associations of hunters raiding each other into a unified state based on meritocracy with then-strange things like religious freedom, a non-repressive multi-cultural society, a unique martial code, and what amounted to an executive royalty that actually was beholden to law. There's a reason why there's a joke that the Mongolians are the exception to basically everything about ancient civilizations; they never even bothered to adopt large scale agriculture beyond free-range herding.

The fact that they didn't engage in agriculture actually worked vastly to their benefit; by comparison to other armies that mostly had infantry that ate millet-based gruel that really didn't do much for their health, the Mongol's largely meat-and-dairy diet made their soldiers capable of fighting waaay longer and waaay more proficiently than basically everyone they went up against. Combine that with their expert horsemanship (the whole "living in the saddle" thing is pretty much no joke) and obsession with ranged warfare driving them to be reaallly creative about warfare (beyond just being master horseback archers, there's a lot of interesting cultural taboos / religious practice about blood and smells that all in all made them very prone towards finding solutions that involve killing people without having to get too close to them).

It's a really interesting culture / society. They were definitely quite brutal to be sure, but hell, all the societies they conquered and absorbed tended to be faaaar worse. Hell, a lot of the notoriety associated with them was actually Mongol propaganda designed to intimidate people into surrendering so that they wouldn't have to bother with actually fighting. They loved them some propaganda.

Was the movie telling the truth another Mongols being terrified of thunderstorms? Because that would make for a great blue card with a bounce effect.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 12:53 on May 27, 2014

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
anti-thoughtseize card:

pure intentions from SoK.

It is poop :(

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Jabor posted:

Doing stuff with your library as a drawback is pretty bad rules-wise - Magic tries very hard to avoid relying on the honor system, and explicitly allows you to "fail to find" a specific card in your library even if it's actually there. And I don't see anything that doing it this way actually gains you over just exiling the first spell and not being able to cast other spells with the same name.
I keeps you from having them sit dead in hand, though I suppose revealing them, exiling them, and drawing another card would go a ways to helping that as well.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
You can come up with lots of ways to do "legendary" instants and sorceries that work flavor-wise, more-or-less, but it would need to be a mechanic that actually adds something cool and interesting to gameplay.
This kind of thing:

TheLawinator posted:

...is just flavor for the sake of it and makes you do a bunch of crap you don't want to for no real benefit, and isn't even enough of a draw back to be able to push the power level of the card.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Entropic posted:

You can come up with lots of ways to do "legendary" instants and sorceries that work flavor-wise, more-or-less, but it would need to be a mechanic that actually adds something cool and interesting to gameplay.
This kind of thing:

...is just flavor for the sake of it and makes you do a bunch of crap you don't want to for no real benefit, and isn't even enough of a draw back to be able to push the power level of the card.

like Epic, for example?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
For the low price of one mana, One With Nothing blanks Thoughtseize entirely, turning it into a dead card in your opponent's hand! :getin:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Entropic posted:

For the low price of one mana, One With Nothing blanks Thoughtseize entirely, turning it into a dead card in your opponent's hand! :getin:

The hilarious thing, to me, about One With Nothing is that it was 99% of the time worse than just casting Breakthrough for 0.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

Jabor posted:

Rules-wise it's not hard to come up with a way to do it. Though there's no reason to do so (as you said), I'd template it as either:
"When you cast ~, you may exile three cards from your hand or library with the same name as ~. Otherwise, counter ~."
Or:
"As an additional cost to cast ~, exile up to three cards from your hand or library with the same name as ~. For each card exiled this way, do ..."

More interesting design space might be in the opposite direction - a Squadron Hawk instant or sorcery:
"When you successfully cast ~, you may search your library for up to three cards named ~, reveal them, and put it into your hand".
Or a Llanowar Sentinel version:
"When you cast ~, you may pay X. If you do, search your library for a card named ~, and put it onto the stack".

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
Why not have it be a card type, call them, like, supreme sorceries or supreme instants. Then all supreme spells give you an emblem that says "Whenever you play a supreme spell, counter that spell and draw a card." You get the once per game powerful effect, but it's still one you can draw reliably and the other copies aren't completely dead.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I'm pretty sure somewhere along time way they've outright said no on this card type idea because vintange is the only format where they want restricted or restricted like cards.

A large farva
Sep 5, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
Dan Carlin can have weird opinions at times, but his 5 part history wrath of the khans from 2012 is pretty fascinating with some of the history and imagery if you want to get more information about the period all from the comfort of a podcast. (That's his archive page didn't want to link directly to the episodes.)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Legendary instants and sorceries are pretty hard to justify compared to creatures, where a creature being unique is easier to understand and makes a greater deal of sense. What makes a legendary fireball distinct from a regular, non-legendary fireball? Could it be justified by making it the signature spell of a legendary creature?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I think you guys are overestimating how often Turn 1 Thoughtseize actually occurs in Standard. I don't think it even makes sense to let you brick Turn 1 Thoughtseize.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

SharkTattoos posted:

Dan Carlin can have weird opinions at times, but his 5 part history wrath of the khans from 2012 is pretty fascinating with some of the history and imagery if you want to get more information about the period all from the comfort of a podcast. (That's his archive page didn't want to link directly to the episodes.)

This podcast series was really great and I have to throw in another recommendation for it if you want to do a little more digging into Mongol history.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Angry Grimace posted:

I think you guys are overestimating how often Turn 1 Thoughtseize actually occurs in Standard. I don't think it even makes sense to let you brick Turn 1 Thoughtseize.

Yeah, most of the field plays a scryland turn 1 so it's Turn 2 Thoughtseize (still against zero mana up) that happens most games :v:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Angry Grimace posted:

Decks running Thoughtseize are such a large portion of the field that it happens more than people who run Thoughtseize thinks it does, just by volume. You (the general you I have no idea what you play) might not be casting them that much but people really do not like discard and so they remember it, and when you consider what a huge portion of the field it is, you end up with this.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Yeah, as a Thoughtseize player, turn 1–2 Thoughtseize does happen a good amount of the time. Though it bit me in the rear end one game; he leads with Elvish Mystic, I cast Thoughtseize, and I'm treated to a hand of three lands and three Loxodon Smiters.

I lost that one in very short order.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Thoughtseize is a card that's essentially impossible to elegantly deal with of short of bannings by virtue of the sheer speed of the card. Any card that can deal with it would effectively need to be active turn 0.

What I'm trying to say is reprint Leyline of Sanctity, Wizards. :getin: It wouldn't actually help.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

New Wide Beta update.

Looks like it's essentially the status quo? "Feedback was mixed but we're not changing a thing about our direction".

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Pinterest Mom posted:

Looks like it's essentially the status quo?
Absolutely. Has wonderful phrases like 'did not expose any major issues we were not aware of' and that leagues are coming back.

Leagues have been coming back for half a decade now or something.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
Legendary instants and sorceries were already done in SoK with Epic

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

threefive posted:

Legendary instants and sorceries were already done in SoK with Epic

Epic was a neat concept, but I think you should still have been allowed to cast spells, with how highly costed those effects were. If they repeat it in the future, I hope they change that portion.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
The tension between having a free spell every turn and not casting other stuff is what made Epic fun or at least unique. If anything they should have just costed the spells a bit more aggressively.

Your version is basically just rebound except better.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

AnacondaHL posted:

Ahaha I just finished T-64 with Breakfast Burrito. Like I was just handed cash for that deck's performance. Thanks goons! :)

Congratulations! What kind of matchups did you win and lose with it? Were you running The Mimeoplasm or Underworld Cerberus kill? Any particularly funny stories to share?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Enduring Ideal was legitimately good, guys; it even top 8'd some extended GPs.

• Locked thread