Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Hearing conflicting reports for the 360 version - there's two discs, but some people are saying you can install the play disc and some are saying you can't. Hoping someone can check that soon. Not a huge deal, I can default over to the PS3 version if you can't install both, I'm just curious what the deal is. Some GTA5-esque thing where you'll get pop-up if both are installed, I'm guessing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Sef! posted:

Pretty weird setup, but I'm new to PS4 and this is my first digital purchase on the system, so maybe I just haven't' experienced this kind of thing yet.
edit: good to know it's not just me.
This didn't happen with Ghosts or Killzone when I got them on PSN iirc. It's (hopefully) not normal.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Yea, I bought Battlefield 4 digitally on the PS4 and it was the worst mistake of my life. It "finished downloading" and when I launched it told me that Multiplayer was still downloading but single player was at 100%. After the first level it boots me to the main menu and tells me to wait for the rest to install and download.

I just don't buy big games digitally anymore. It took me four loving days for it to finish downloading. Took me one and a half to get the campaign to fully download.

blat blat blat
Apr 20, 2013

Ularg posted:

There's four levels of difficulty. Easy, Normal, Hard and Realistic. Three levels of Aim Assist, Minimal, Default and Strong. Wish there was an off option but oh well. There are two interesting Online options. The first is Friendly Fire Decryption:

The second is Adversarial Free Roam:

You can also turn voice chat off, adjust volume and turn off Online Invasions. You can invert both X and Y axis (This is really important to me if default is 'stick right turns camera right'). You can change the Written and Spoken Language out of the box and on the fly between English, French, Portuguese and Spanish. Turn on or off Autoplay Music in Car, and there is a separate volume slider for Music, Songs, SFX and Voice, which is really nice.

I was hoping the 90mb day one patch would finish by the time I wrote this but oh well. I'm impatient and going to jump right in.

Thanks for this info! Anyone have any info about these different difficulties? Just more damage or more bad guys/aggressive AI or what?

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

ChibiSoma posted:

Hearing conflicting reports for the 360 version - there's two discs, but some people are saying you can install the play disc and some are saying you can't. Hoping someone can check that soon. Not a huge deal, I can default over to the PS3 version if you can't install both, I'm just curious what the deal is. Some GTA5-esque thing where you'll get pop-up if both are installed, I'm guessing?

The workaround for GTA V was to install one of the discs to a USB drive so the game can pull data from two sources instead of bottlenecking the hard drive.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Mootallica posted:

You'll be waiting a while. Almost 15 hours since it was released in Australia and no keys yet. Another 5 or so hours before their support gets back into the office as well.
And then another 5 hours to download it! :v:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Uplay :arghfist:

Download got to 100%, all network activity stopped, no HDD activity

Tried pausing / unpausing a few times to prompt something, just closed the Uplay client, and now it's just stuck on 'logging in' forever.

Nvm, it works now... but still!

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

How fast do you get into the open world, I haven't been paying a ton of attention so I don't know how long the tutorial poo poo is and how fast you can just start loving with towers and blowing up sewers and poo poo.

Just took my first step into the open city. Still on the "Tutorial" mission but I assume I can start just driving around, can't do any side missions yet. It took 5-10 minutes taking my time.

Edit: It took me maybe three more minutes and now I can go anywhere I want in the city. Doesn't look like any sidemissions are up but I can go into shops and stuff. This game looks pretty gorgeous on the PS4. Though some of the well lit indoor areas look a little bland, but it's a functional bland. Nothing seems out of place or "Wow, why didn't they texture this?" it just seems a little flat in perfect lighting.

Ularg fucked around with this message at 07:02 on May 27, 2014

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

CapnBiggles posted:

This is absolutely the most divisive PC gaming purchase I've considered in months. I'm hovering on whether or not my lowered expectations are worth $60.

EDIT: gently caress it.

I've heard it's pretty mediocre despite all hopes.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!
Watch dogs is having some serious issues for me, frame stutter and shaders blinking in and out of existance.

Wondering if anyone else has had these issues and figured out any sort of fix?

Basic specs for those who are curios:

i7-4770 3.4 ghz
GTX 660
8Gb Ram
Windows 7 64 bit.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

It's after 2am on the East coast and the XBONE store is still showing Unavailable where the Purchase option should be. Guess I'll just go buy a disc copy in the morning. :(

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*
I could have sworn that the uplay editions from the nvidia codes were supposed to come with content packs, but I have zero items in my wardrobe. Is there anyway to activate them or was I just falsely informed?

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

lol my internet connection is out, at 98% downloaded. gently caress.

A Reasonable Man
Jul 30, 2003

Heh heh heh...

Okay.
I don't care what anyone says, the invasion poo poo is loving awesome.

Just had a few instances where extremely cool poo poo happens, and there is never lack of a giant crowd of NPCs around on the PS4 version whenever a hack invasion starts.

Case in point: I did a hack on a guy in an intersection, and started off by triggering the stoplights and causing a huge pileup and backed up traffic and assorted chaos. I then parked my car next to a transformer and just chilled, watching the poor guy run around in circles trying to find me.

When he finally gets close, I blew up the transformer in his face, knocking him on his rear end and peeled out of there at 84%.

There is a lot of potential in this and the fact that it just happens while I am tooling around town is goddamn awesome.

I've only been playing for about 3 hours and I've already had like 6 unique experiences with invasions. Can't wait to see what it's like once people get more devious.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

So some helpful weapon tips in these spoilers just in case anyone wants no spoilers at all: There are two side missions you can do to get some really amazing weapons. Doing 10 criminal convoys gets you The Destroyer - A 50 caliber anti material rifle that will one hit kill any enemy in the game and also instant explodes cars. Doing 9 Weapons Crates investigations will get you the spec ops goblin. A silenced assault rifle which will be a god send for stealth players. The standard silenced pistol loses a lot of accuracy at more than maybe 15-20 meters and makes stealth killing stuff at long range very hard. The spec ops goblin doesn't suffer from this.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is anyone able to make this work with steam overlay?

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
I love Dark Souls PVP so I imagine I'll really like the invasion system in this game.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES
Its funny that this game looks like a 2007 game, and plays like a 2007 game with a ton of QTE's!

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Its funny that this game looks like a 2007 game, and plays like a 2007 game with a ton of QTE's!

I was watching a guy stream it and I think that's the best summary possible.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"
Well I finally got to play this game, running this on ultra but had to tone down the AA to keep it smooth, honestly it looks great to me on either HDTV or PC monitor.

I really have to agree the driving isn't the best but the game itself is pretty fun. I almost always want to spend my time running around at night as that's when this game looks really fine. It does try to present a story and I can't fault it for that. Have to play around
More in the morning

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Sorry you must have a lovely computer because it looks glorious in ultra. :(

--

In other news invading is the best thing ever.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

ScienceAndMusic posted:

I think there are two QTEs in the entire game. The longest one being two buttons!

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
How do invasions work? I spend a lot of time grabbing a drink or talking with friends and family while the game is paused. Can I get invaded while on a mission? Or while my game is paused?

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

Sedisp posted:

I think there are two QTEs in the entire game. The longest one being two buttons!

Hacking is one gigantic QTE. Hacking is basically the most boring form of sv_cheats 1

Furthermore I love the fact that AMD users are going to be rammed in the rear end because Ubi and Nvidia are barring any optimization. Gonna be a great year for PC gaming, not only do we get the scraps from a "next gen" game but we also get graphics card companies forcefully crippling user experience.

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

WirelessPillow posted:

Watch dogs is having some serious issues for me, frame stutter and shaders blinking in and out of existance.

Wondering if anyone else has had these issues and figured out any sort of fix?

Basic specs for those who are curios:

i7-4770 3.4 ghz
GTX 660
8Gb Ram
Windows 7 64 bit.

Make sure you've got the day 1 patch, otherwise, switching to borderless windowed mode seemed to fix most of the studdering for me.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Hacking is one gigantic QTE.

I don't think QTE means what you think it means.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Hacking is one gigantic QTE. Hacking is basically the most boring form of sv_cheats 1

Furthermore I love the fact that AMD users are going to be rammed in the rear end because Ubi and Nvidia are barring any optimization. Gonna be a great year for PC gaming, not only do we get the scraps from a "next gen" game but we also get graphics card companies forcefully crippling user experience.

So any game with a take down system is one gigantic QTE. Got it.

Mootallica
Jun 28, 2005

GMG keys appear to be finally going out - I've received one at least. I'll probably get home and find it's either been used or a duplicate or something.

How Much Art
Oct 29, 2003
Trampoline Destroys Bear
I'm getting stuttering issues even when I set the graphics settings to low. I have a GTX Titan 6GB, i7 4770k and 16GB of RAM. Tried it in borderless mode, tried the "-disablepagefilecheck" (not entirely sure if I did this one right though)...
I notice the stuttering most when I'm driving, but even when running down the street I notice it. For shame. Anybody that can help?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

ScienceAndMusic posted:

No, QTE is a sequence of monotonous button presses in a short time span and frequent to achieve very little. You know, like your posting.

Some of the NPCs tend to overreact while you're driving. I went to park my car and people behind the barrier freaked out like I was about to run them over. And the first person behind the dash driving is a really nice touch, but the FOV is a little low so it's hard to keep perfect awareness. You can move your vision though.

Ularg fucked around with this message at 07:48 on May 27, 2014

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

^^^ The sequence can be one button, in which case this game does a decent job.

keyframe posted:

I don't think QTE means what you think it means.

OK just button event with no time stipulation. Its still boring and unengaging. "Hit x to hack the camera" "Hit x to explode some dummy" "hit x to change a billboard".

This thread will be hilarious when the "new game sheen" wears off. It seems it already has for a lot of people. Some will of course defend this game to the death to justify their wasted 60 bucks.

To those who want an objective opinion on whether to purchase or not:

Cons:
-Users are reporting large numberr of graphical glitches, falling through terrain glitches, and general unplayable ness.
-AMD was blocked from any optimization.
-THe AI is absolutely atrocious
-The visuals are at a best late 2012 standard, but the game is missing large amounts of standard visual fanfare, e.g. dynamic shadows.
-The storyline is incredibly weak and basic
-THe driving is incredibly terrible, like driving a hunk of ice on the road.

Pros:
-Invasions are neat.
-Gunplay is decent.
-Novelty from hacking.

I could go on, but if you are on the fence, wait until its 10 bucks tops.

ScienceAndMusic fucked around with this message at 07:53 on May 27, 2014

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
You mean an.. Interact button? :confused:

I mean I'm let down and I haven't even bought the game but I think you're reaching here.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Wow this game seems to be really polarising, even for SA. The thing that's basically got me on the fence about getting it right now is invasions, which someone already posted as being cool and I really want to do because I'm finished with Dark Souls II already. Does anyone else have any opinions about 'em?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

How Much Art posted:

I'm getting stuttering issues even when I set the graphics settings to low. I have a GTX Titan 6GB, i7 4770k and 16GB of RAM. Tried it in borderless mode, tried the "-disablepagefilecheck" (not entirely sure if I did this one right though)...
I notice the stuttering most when I'm driving, but even when running down the street I notice it. For shame. Anybody that can help?

Do you have the latest nvidia drivers? I have a 780 gtx i7 920 and 16gb ram and I am running it maxed out with no stuttering.

ScienceAndMusic posted:

^^^ The sequence can be one button, in which case this game does a decent job.

OK just button event with no time stipulation. Its still boring and unengaging. "Hit x to hack the camera" "Hit x to explode some dummy" "hit x to change a billboard".

This thread will be hilarious when the "new game sheen" wears off. It seems it already has for a lot of people. Some will of course defend this game to the death to justify their wasted 60 bucks.

Ahahaha we thought you were the worst poster in the Titanfall thread but it seems you will top yourself in this one. Tell us how hacking is this games smart pistol :allears:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Pierson posted:

Wow this game seems to be really polarising, even for SA. The thing that's basically got me on the fence about getting it right now is invasions, which someone already posted as being cool and I really want to do because I'm finished with Dark Souls II already. Does anyone else have any opinions about 'em?

Fun as HELL, even when you lose most of the time. The city is better laid-out than you'd think for a game of hide and seek, and it tests your ability to be smart about looking around.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
Just waitin on nvidia to not be doing maintenance for the codes :mad:

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
ScienceandMusic has been making the Titanfall thread unbearable, guess he wants to make the Watch Dogs thread terrible as well.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

drat, game. :smith:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Javes posted:

ScienceandMusic has been making the Titanfall thread unbearable, guess he wants to make the Watch Dogs thread terrible as well.
I dunno, I get where he's coming from. Ubisoft definitely have a "first game jitters"-thing going on where they start off with a lot of promise but janky execution and then steadily get better as the franchise goes on (see; AssCreed, the new Splinter Cells). Admittedly their plots never really improve but what do you expect for videogames. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Reasonable Man
Jul 30, 2003

Heh heh heh...

Okay.
If you are having trouble with the driving, give the cockpit cam a shot. Not only is it cool, but it seems to have made things easier.

The game is also really forgiving about driving between cars, so go nuts. Really helps when trying to lose a tail.

Honestly, I can't find anything so completely offensive about this game that I would need to react with the amount of vitriol I've seen so far across the internet. The invasion thing, while partly a rip-off from Dark Souls, is definitely reminiscent of the assassin's creed MP (blending in with NPCs and stuff) and fun as hell. More stuff like this is needed in gaming.

Seriously, after reading this thread I was stealing myself for some serious disappointment, but so far the game seems fun and worth the money spent.

• Locked thread