Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

My PS3 died after six-and-a-half long years of service while playing Drakengard 3.
Obviously this was an intentional, brought to us by none other than Taro Yoko.

I finished reading the Drakengard 2 LP. It was a good read, and The Dark Id did a good job making it an enjoyable experience. But oh god, what a waste of time that game was. I mean, I liked some bits of the game: the stronger focus on pact partners and their monsters was cool. The prices for their pacts were interesting, and it was cool being able to actually fight other pact partners that weren't just dragon users. It kind of reminds me of JoJo, and I really like JoJo. The Caim stuff was pretty great, because Caim is just a lovable lunatic. And finally Urick is a pretty fun guy, but I dunno how much of that is the game, and how much is just Id's input.

With all that being said, wow that game was pointless and horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
My biggest gripe with this game is that it encourages you to grind for weapons and items, but in the main boss battles equipment and levels are useless.

The mid mission banter is the best thing about the game, but it just makes me mad that we won't ever get another Kid Icarus: Uprising.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ohhh, so close, yet so far away. There's a little segment near the end that's gotten me twice now and no it's not the one people have finished it are thinking of.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.

nerdz posted:

My biggest gripe with this game is that it encourages you to grind for weapons and items, but in the main boss battles equipment and levels are useless.

The mid mission banter is the best thing about the game, but it just makes me mad that we won't ever get another Kid Icarus: Uprising.

At least you can still use the recovery/boost items.

I could listen to these jokers swear about platforming puzzles and compare bizarre sexual fetishes all day long. :allears:

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Never doing branch D again. The rest maybe. But never branch D.

Squallege fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 26, 2014

Hartseeker
May 24, 2009

Strap one on, it's time to jam!
Just think, with next gen systems out and summer right around the corner, people will be be going into stores in the coming weeks to pick up hot new titles like Watch Dogs, Mario Kart, Transistor et cetra.

... and here I am playing Drakengard 3 of all things. :Shempicide::shepicide:

NotEdit: Aaaaand I just kicked the power cord and corrupted my save file after the first ending. Seems almost poetic somehow.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007
Been playing this game for a bit. Beat the second boss. This game isn't as good as Nier, which makes sense, but I'm still enjoying myself. It's still a Yoko Taro game, after all. The frame rate is poo poo, the graphics are terrible, and the combat is passable, but I'm still enjoying myself.

I like that the dragon is like a kid dragon and I also like that the game is about you killing your sisters and stealing their boyfriends. so far those are two good things about this game.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I cannot tell you how many times I have failed this thing because of the second to last note.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't care about the double post, it's done, finished, I beat it. gently caress this game, gently caress you Cavia, gently caress you Yoko Taro, and gently caress you Square for funding this.

Thank you for Mikhail though, I love him.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Oh it's a shame you double posted right as I came in to say pretty much the exact same thing other than the fact that I actually liked this game and only gently caress Square and/or Cavia for that final boss fight really. Them and Flame Centaurs. Those guys are awful.

Now to do those last sidequests and get the platinum. :unsmigghh:

Edit: Seriously, gently caress that drat flower. What an rear end in a top hat.

Edit 2: How do you parry?

Kinu Nishimura fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 26, 2014

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...

alcharagia posted:

Edit 2: How do you parry?

You block just before being hit. Facing shouldn't matter.

Cubivore_
Nov 6, 2013

Reached the final boss on Saturday and haven't been able to beat it yet. Last few tries I was able to make it to sister Two, so I guess I'm pretty close to beating it? Going to avoid using a guide/youtube video.

The book that came with the CE has some nice artwork to go with the stories. The one for One's brother is my favorite

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Almost done grinding my way through 100% weapon completion, and i'm starting to get the impression that Decadus is the player insert of the game. Two and a half hours of grinding just to find I still have a few hundred thousand more gold to get... Hnnnnnnnnngh.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
The Final Survival is hard

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
In a moment of retrospect, I think I wasn't giving Zero quite enough credit.

The bit at the end-end with Mikhail talking about how they killed a lot of people, I mean.

Mercurochrome posted:

Reached the final boss on Saturday and haven't been able to beat it yet. Last few tries I was able to make it to sister Two, so I guess I'm pretty close to beating it?

Depending on what you mean yes, you're close but there's still like 2-3 tempo switches before the end

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 27, 2014

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I just got this game today, near the end of Chapter 2, and loving it. Even with all of the fourth wall breaking humor, the awful Drakengardness of the game is still shining through.

Also, if anyone could make the Unreal Engine chug and stutter like an rear end full of molasses, it's the programmers who made Deadly Premonition. The terrible graphical quality and performance are seriously impressive. The art direction is awesome, so I won't say the game outright has bad graphics.

What I'm trying to say is I'm loving this poo poo.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Twitch posted:

The art direction is awesome, so I won't say the game outright has bad graphics.

I know what thread this is but let's not get sycophantic. The graphics are terrible. Art direction has nothing to do with it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, the game looks awful. It's like I'm looking at God Hand again, but that game does me the courtesy of being fun.

Anyways, here's my favorite part of the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucanlW0gb9Q

Also, here's my final boss victory, spoilahz. I'm keeping this as evidence that I managed to succeed.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 07:06 on May 27, 2014

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Beef Waifu posted:

Anyways, here's my favorite part of the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucanlW0gb9Q

Worth the price of admission.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I'm very hateful but I didn't really like Mikhail.

Killing Five was the best part anyways. :colbert:

e: I will not confirm or deny the fact that he gets stuck on scenery has anything to do with it.

I am liking the game more now though, now that I look at some of the stuff in English. Zero is a pretty bad person but not quite as heartless as I framed her as being I guess.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 05:55 on May 27, 2014

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
What's the best way to grind money? I have heard it's Desert Payday over and over, but I can't really kill more than the Golem and the first gold soldier. Which spear is the fastest/best for it, or should I be using the Bloodletter?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
How far are you?

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Last Knell is the best spear in the game by a huge margin, you get it in C-4. Equip Bloodletter in your sword slot, use the spear to take down the golem's health (the mashy repeating attack stunlocks it), hit intoner mode to vacuum up all the coins, you should have time to take down the first and second waves of soldiers afterward. You probably won't be able to get the third wave until you've upgraded the spear to level 4, which won't be possible until the very end of the game.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
It's not terribly hard to get to the third wave with the spear 2 considering how broken the spear thrust is.

Interrupt dudes with it and stay at their sides whenever you can.

It's centaurs and cerberus at the end, I think so maybe you want to be behind them if you can. :v:

e: Last ending. Zero might have survived? Not a sequel hook noooo

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 07:47 on May 27, 2014

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...

Anatharon posted:

e: Last ending. Zero might have survived? Not a sequel hook noooo

What? That is not even remotely hinted in ending D.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
All they say is that Accord feels like Zero might still be out there and even that is out of her boundaries to say.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Beef Waifu posted:

All they say is that Accord feels like Zero might still be out there and even that is out of her boundaries to say.

In a surprising twist, Taro Yoko's next game will be Emil and Mikhail going on the best funtime adventures in Drakengard 2's future. Caim and Zero show up somehow via alternate timelines somehow to murder the gently caress out of future Nowe and Manah out of nowhere. This in no way affects Mikhail and Emil's rad silly adventures.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Cthulhuchan posted:

What? That is not even remotely hinted in ending D.

I'm pretty sure that

Beef Waifu posted:

counts as remotely hinted at.

The Dark Id posted:

In a surprising twist, Taro Yoko's next game will be Emil and Mikhail going on the best funtime adventures in Drakengard 2's future. Caim and Zero show up somehow via alternate timelines somehow to murder the gently caress out of future Nowe and Manah out of nowhere. This in no way affects Mikhail and Emil's rad silly adventures.

Drakengard 2 is the best game of the 4. Yeah I said it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Nier is the best, but 2 is the second best by virtue of being the second least unplayable.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Anatharon posted:

Drakengard 2 is the best game of the 4. Yeah I said it.

You have confirmed you are literally human garbage. Your ancestors will rue your name for generations to come. The curse of Sith Lord Taro Yoko will bring a blight upon your clan for eternity. Your future is suffering and shame.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Speaking about weapons a bit ago I used spears whenever possible as they're really good and avoided chakram since as far as I could tell they're garbage but did anyone use fists much?

I never used them much because spears are amazing and I couldn't help but feel uncomomfortable with the knowledge someone was probably jerking off to unarmed fighting at that very moment.

Maybe I should give it a second chance if I ever play the game again.

The Dark Id posted:

You have confirmed you are literally human garbage. Your ancestors will rue your name for generations to come. The curse of Sith Lord Taro Yoko will bring a blight upon your clan for eternity. Your future is suffering and shame.

Trap sprung.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I was ready to blow my load over the gauntlets the second I got them until the request missions showed me how worthless they actually are. They're terrible for regular fighting as you will more than likely be fighting multiple enemies at once and they have no area of effect. Fighting larger enemies with them feels pointless too because you're never able to sink good damage in them unless you've got the stamina attacks of the heavier ones which have a huge windup that you can get very easily hit during.

I never tried them in boss fights, but if Four's fight is anything to go by, they are ridiculously worthless against actual enemies who don't die in 3 hits too and think on a different level.

Fetucine
Oct 29, 2011
I found gauntlets okay because I got the Imperial set way ahead of every other Imperial weapon in the game. Those things do a shitload more damage to skeletons and spirits, and shatter skeletons upon death so they can't revive. I hated skeletons enough that dedicating an otherwise worthless slot to countering them was worth it :shrug:

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Why am I checking this thread and trying to justify buying this game to myself? I haven't played a Drakengard—just read Dark Id's LP of the first game. I didn't even like Nier much.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Something else about the ending. I liked the little bit between Zero and Mikhail where he says it was "Painful.. Really painful." Interperating it as Zero feeling bad humanizes her a little bit.

Rollersnake posted:

Why am I checking this thread and trying to justify buying this game to myself? I haven't played a Drakengard—just read Dark Id's LP of the first game. I didn't even like Nier much.

I'm coming around to it, really.

I thought Nier was good but I wasn't as huge fan of it as some of the others in this thread.

If you really want to try it just wait for it's price to drop or buy it off someone else.

I think in the end the three things I like the least about it are:

The humor. Fourth wall breaking stuff is never particularly funny to me, and in general it just feels very played out.

The graphics and level design are both pretty terrible. The game runs really badly for a game that has as bad graphics as Drakengard 3 does, too. If you don't like loading times you won't like DOD3. They're not offensively bad but I've seen better looking Gamecube games.

Also I mentioned it before with the fist weapon things, but even more so then in most games I feel slimy playing it. If the knowledge that someone is jerking off to what you're looking at right now makes you feel uncomfortable you're going to be uncomfortable a whole lot but particularly so in D3.

On the other hand it's gameplay is better then before and it has some good moments in the writing. Music is good, too.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 12:58 on May 27, 2014

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Beef Waifu posted:

I was ready to blow my load over the gauntlets the second I got them until the request missions showed me how worthless they actually are. They're terrible for regular fighting as you will more than likely be fighting multiple enemies at once and they have no area of effect. Fighting larger enemies with them feels pointless too because you're never able to sink good damage in them unless you've got the stamina attacks of the heavier ones which have a huge windup that you can get very easily hit during.

I never tried them in boss fights, but if Four's fight is anything to go by, they are ridiculously worthless against actual enemies who don't die in 3 hits too and think on a different level.

You're crazy, the combat bracers are brokenly good, especially the ones with the apam attacks. And heck, I've gotten some drat good results with the charge attack bracers after some experimentation.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

I mostly just used the bracers for grinding out healing items, esp in the last couple survival challenges.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Ah christ, gently caress this goddamn desert. Anyone have the map handy that shows where the chests are?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Artix posted:

Ah christ, gently caress this goddamn desert. Anyone have the map handy that shows where the chests are?
http://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/drakengard-3/222319-drakengard-3-road-map-trophy-guide.html#post4164036

This guide helped me through the game so I didn't have to repeat stages looking for the chests.

EDIT: Also totally used the YouTube Final Boss Timing Video. I'm good at music games, but the last 2 minutes or so were too hard to hear clearly and I'm not sure I would have ever gotten the last couple of notes during the black screen.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 15:33 on May 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

straight jerkers posted:

Last Knell is the best spear in the game by a huge margin, you get it in C-4. Equip Bloodletter in your sword slot, use the spear to take down the golem's health (the mashy repeating attack stunlocks it), hit intoner mode to vacuum up all the coins, you should have time to take down the first and second waves of soldiers afterward. You probably won't be able to get the third wave until you've upgraded the spear to level 4, which won't be possible until the very end of the game.
Wait, does Bloodletter work even when it's not the weapon you're using?

...welp, never unequipping that ever, then.

• Locked thread