Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Batigh posted:

Anyone have advice for dealing with Syan's Halberd? My preferred weapon is a lance, and I'm finding its spear-like 2H R1s difficult to work around. The stun often lasts enough for a three-hit combo, also, and that's definitely painful. I do keep a watcher shield handy, but prefer to keep a flame in the offhand most of the time instead, and either way the shield doesn't help tremendously since I'm poo poo at parrying.

I guess I just need to get good

It's slow enough you can roll bs them, assuming they don't have jester's top or turtle armor on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Genocyber posted:

Since pyros don't require stats and the scaling bonus is relatively small (it's good but not worth investing heavily in int/fth just for it) you want minimal Fth/Int.

This character builder isn't 100% but it's good enough for basic stuff.

http://gamehubbs.com/darksouls2/builds/3033

Chaos Blade for good damage. Infuse it with fire and buff with flame weapon for maximum damage in PVP. Ricard's Rapier offhand for poking; you can infuse it with poison for poisoning enemies if you don't care to use it for damage. Dagger for crits.

Hexer's good for +1 casts to all spells (even forbidden sun).

50 Att for a fuckton of slots and more casts (get 2 casts of Forbidden Sun with this much).

40 Dex for scaling with dex weapons. You can drop this to 25 (for using Chaos blade) if you want to put points elsewhere.

Third Dragon Ring because it's good. Ring of Blades +2 cause more damage is good. Cloranthy Ring+2 because more stamina regen is good. Fourth ring slot open for w/e (cov rings, serpent rings for PVE, etc.)

Would a warped sword sub in for the falchion well?

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Anyone wanna help me slap around the lost sinner on normal game with two bonfire ascetics used? :v:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Crimor/

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Nalesh posted:

Anyone wanna help me slap around the lost sinner on normal game with two bonfire ascetics used? :v:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Crimor/

It would help if you said what soul memory you were at.

Also last try on this:

Iretep posted:

Anyone have a character at the 900k-1.2 mil SM range that wants to help me move the ruin set to a 600k SM character?

Also to contact me: Steam name is Iretep and SA private messages work too if anyone is intrested.

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009

Genocyber posted:

It's slow enough you can roll bs them, assuming they don't have jester's top or turtle armor on.

Thanks, I'll give this a shot.

I'm somewhat annoyed - there's a dude I've been running into in the blood arena, and I beat him ~seven times straight while he parry-fished with the MS and also (tried to) sneak sippies. Then he came in with Syan's Halberd, no other tricks, and wrecked me, a few times now. I'm not annoyed with him, to be sure, just myself.

e: Very first guy I meet with it has the jester top, but i don't ever think i had an opportunity to roll BS anyway. The recovery on the spear pokes is pretty good.

Batigh fucked around with this message at 07:14 on May 27, 2014

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Zero Initiative posted:

Oh, you wouldn't happen to be the Lu Bu that helped me with Gargoyles earlier, would you? Name was Vyldan.

Sadly no. ;) I'm well past the Bellfry these days.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Iretep posted:

It would help if you said what soul memory you were at.

Also last try on this:

Also to contact me: Steam name is Iretep and SA private messages work too if anyone is intrested.

Think I'm around 1.4m

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I'll help out, Nalesh. I need to test something anyway.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 07:22 on May 27, 2014

Whix
Oct 2, 2008

IT GOES BOOM!
Found new joy in playing with a Large Club, the strong 2H attack is hilarious, squishing people like bugs is awesome. Any suggestions on infusions on it? I have a straight strength build with 1 attunement slot for piromancies, also i can't decide yet if i wanna go str/int , str/faith or str/magic for pvp or stay pure strength with pyromancy. Anyone tried any of these out ?

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

I accidentally killed Gavlan :saddowns:

I was just shooting sun spears everywhere cos I wanted to hurry up and get to him, when I realised that hey, this dwarf doesn't have a weapon, oh wait, Gavlan looks like that doesn't he, oh gently caress.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Schmetterling posted:

I was just shooting sun spears everywhere cos I wanted to hurry up and get to him, when I realised that hey, this dwarf doesn't have a weapon, oh wait, Gavlan looks like that doesn't he, oh gently caress.

You can kill every enemy in the game and nobody will flinch.

But kill Gavlan and my god--

Gavlan only wanted to Wheel. He only wanted to Deal.

YOU MONSTER.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Bob NewSCART posted:

I murdered benhart on sight for his sword and then bought and wore his armor around. I'm pate.

I murdered Pate on my first playthrough right after talking to him. He gave me a serious Patches vibe and thought he was gonna try to kill me anyways.

Really made me feel like a dick in later playthroughs when I realized they intentionally made Pate remind you of Patches just to tempt you into killing him, even though he doesn't really do anything wrong to you. Then he talks about trust a ton and its just a big guilt trip for me :smith:

VV He doesn't do anything to you though. He's at worst a shady guy with something to hide.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 08:06 on May 27, 2014

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

I murdered Pate on my first playthrough right after talking to him. He gave me a serious Patches vibe and thought he was gonna try to kill me anyways.

Really made me feel like a dick in later playthroughs when I realized they intentionally made Pate remind you of Patches just to tempt you into killing him, even though he doesn't really do anything wrong to you. Then he talks about trust a ton and its just a big guilt trip for me :smith:

You were right the first time, Pate's a dick and deserves to die. But you can get a extra reward out of it until you wait until the right time to finish him off.

I'm working my way through NG++ towards the last spells I'm missing on Wellegar and there's a hell of a lot more invasions going on than I got even on NG+

I'm approaching 11M soul memory after a lot of coop and defending the bells and it's finally catching up with me.

I've switched back to way of the blue at least to give the sentinels some work - I managed to get saved by the same guy twice from two different phantoms on my way up Earthen Peak.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

if I'm not really planning on doing NG++, which is the better get from the Old Paledrake Soul, the Moonlight Greatsword or Crystal Soul Spear? I kinda want the Greatsword even though I know it's been nerfed.

edit: then again I suppose I can just ascetic the bonfire closest to Freja and get both.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Re: PC modding and texture editing, is there a compilation out there of what the hashes GeDoSaTo spits out correspond with in the game? Dark Souls 1 has a list but I can't find one for 2 anywhere, probably because the game is still so new. I can't use the option in GeDoSaTo to show the hashes with the textures because my game just crashes immediately before I even reach the title screen.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Schmetterling posted:

If you killed him in one shot, you probably spared him a longer pain - if he needed more hits, you could have walked away and be cleansed by Cromwell. You could have walked away.

Cardboard Box posted:

if I'm not really planning on doing NG++, which is the better get from the Old Paledrake Soul, the Moonlight Greatsword or Crystal Soul Spear? I kinda want the Greatsword even though I know it's been nerfed.

edit: then again I suppose I can just ascetic the bonfire closest to Freja and get both.
I'd go with the Moonlight Greatsword.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Right as I used the cat ring to land on the rubble in front of the fire geckos to get their items I got invaded. After being pissed that this was the worst possible time to get invaded, I realized it was in fact the best possible time to get invaded.

No enemies were dead except the two hollow soldiers on the way to the rubble drop and I didn't have the key to open the door to the correct way down there, so there was just about no way to get found unless they caught on.

VICTORY

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Truly a barrel of laughs.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Genocyber posted:

The disabled are evil and must be wiped from the face of the earth

Weakness: Jumping

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

neetengie posted:

I'd go with the Moonlight Greatsword.

yeah, that's what I went for. so should I infuse this thing? if so, with what?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I just found out how sweet the rapier is with a buff applied. I can't believe I missed this before. It's also helped me to parry a lot more easily. Is the 2h R2 a shield-piercing attack? It makes a sound like the other ones I've seen.

Stupid Lore Theory: The Aslatiel of Mirrah we fight in Aldia's Keep is actually Lucatiel. Part of the undead curse seems to involve the dependency of one's physical form on one's ability to see the image of the self; this is how the effigies restore our humanity, by reminding us of who we are, and the Chosen Undead can radically remake themselves using the soul vessels. Lucatiel's ability to remember herself is exhausted by the time we meet her in front of the Keep, and she disappears after talking to us. Shortly after this, we encounter and fight the black phantom of the very object of Lucatiel's quest, and never see Lucatiel again. Perhaps even as she forgot herself, she remembered the brother that she had been looking for all this time, and through the curse ended up remaking herself in the only image she still retained. The biggest problem with the theory is that the sword Aslatiel can drop has a slightly different name, but on the other hand the description is identical to Lucatiel's, down to the part about "A tiny message is inscribed in the blade, a promise to someone special," which certainly makes it seem like it's the exact same sword.

It seems strange to read about people being unable to get Blacksteel Katanas, my current character picked up 4 just randomly killing Allone Knights while waiting to be summoned.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Paracelsus posted:

I just found out how sweet the rapier is with a buff applied. I can't believe I missed this before. It's also helped me to parry a lot more easily. Is the 2h R2 a shield-piercing attack? It makes a sound like the other ones I've seen.

Stupid Lore Theory: The Aslatiel of Mirrah we fight in Aldia's Keep is actually Lucatiel. Part of the undead curse seems to involve the dependency of one's physical form on one's ability to see the image of the self; this is how the effigies restore our humanity, by reminding us of who we are, and the Chosen Undead can radically remake themselves using the soul vessels. Lucatiel's ability to remember herself is exhausted by the time we meet her in front of the Keep, and she disappears after talking to us. Shortly after this, we encounter and fight the black phantom of the very object of Lucatiel's quest, and never see Lucatiel again. Perhaps even as she forgot herself, she remembered the brother that she had been looking for all this time, and through the curse ended up remaking herself in the only image she still retained. The biggest problem with the theory is that the sword Aslatiel can drop has a slightly different name, but on the other hand the description is identical to Lucatiel's, down to the part about "A tiny message is inscribed in the blade, a promise to someone special," which certainly makes it seem like it's the exact same sword.

It seems strange to read about people being unable to get Blacksteel Katanas, my current character picked up 4 just randomly killing Allone Knights while waiting to be summoned.

It's more than likely her older brother but I like your theory.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Cardboard Box posted:

yeah, that's what I went for. so should I infuse this thing? if so, with what?
The Faintstone upgrade for Maximum Scaling if you want, turns A into S IIRC.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

alright yeah that's probably what I'll end up doing, it reduces the base damage but it looks like that scaling through my INT (which is 43 right now) will still end up doing more. thanks!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Manatee Cannon posted:

The Herald and the two hex people are pretty weak but the rest of the NPC dialog is usually fine. Benhart could stand to gently caress off about his sword though.

I actually think Felkin's dialogue is pretty good, he is basically a nerd who dropped out of college to pursue his true life goal of SHOWING THEM, SHOWING THEM ALL. And then instead of doing that he goes and spends his days staring blankly at a wall cause, y'know, it's dark.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
So about pyromancy... in DS1, pyromancy only scaled with the upgrade level of your Flame and nothing else, right? But in DS2, there's a Fire BNS stat which scales off of INT/FTH. So, does that affect the power of pyromancies? If so, it's not accurate anymore to say that pyromancers don't benefit from high stats. Requirements are still nonexistent though, apparently.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

So, does that affect the power of pyromancies?

It does but not as much as you'd expect. Which means it's a decent secondary option for mostly-physical characters.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

So about pyromancy... in DS1, pyromancy only scaled with the upgrade level of your Flame and nothing else, right? But in DS2, there's a Fire BNS stat which scales off of INT/FTH. So, does that affect the power of pyromancies? If so, it's not accurate anymore to say that pyromancers don't benefit from high stats. Requirements are still nonexistent though, apparently.

It does add some damage, but scaling is mostly not good in DaS2 and pyromancy is no exception. Pre-patch you could do something like 1300 damage with a Flame Swathe from a +10 pyro hand even at single-digit INT/FTH. It's since been nerfed of course but you can still do excellent pyro damage without any scaling to speak of.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Greathammer jump attacks are the greatest thing ever, absolutely nobody ever sees the gigantic turtle-man leaping across the room and flattening them till its too late

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Paracelsus posted:

Hot effin' drat I like this theory a lot. It gives the whole thing a sort of (admittedly sad and messed up) closure that it originally felt like it lacked, when it was "and then Lucatiel Hollowed or died or whatever. Like, ten feet from her brother I guess"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I liked Transistor, so I modded the Wanderer set to look kinda like Red's outfit. I couldn't get it perfect because you can't change models, just the textures, but hey I tried. Still gotta edit the bumpmaps to make the transistor symbol appropriately shiny.

edit: I also plan to make the jacket not be ripped at the bottom; the coat is longer initially but the ripped parts on the vanilla texture have transparency, so I just made that part transparent and moved the ripped part upward so it's shorter like Red's coat is. And also, the transistor symbol is kind of hidden by the bottom of the hood which is a bummer because it doesn't have transparency on it!

My to do list is as follows: Fix the ripped part of the coat, remove the ridges in the fabric on the bumpmaps/the original texture, and then find a better texture for the pants because the vanilla wanderer set pants texture is awful.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 10:25 on May 27, 2014

NorthByNorthwest
Oct 9, 2012

This rocks, keep posting about this, I'd totally play Techno Souls.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Aw man, the pauldron on the left side of the armor doesn't have transparency so I can't get rid of it (even though the underside is fully textured). Maybe I'll put another Transistor logo on it, Red has one on her jacket in about the same place:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

On the matter of Lucatiel and Aslatiel, I'd like to think the theory is true, but the two character models have different hair.

Which is a shame, because I think the theory makes for a better story than what we got.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Fact: Spears and halberds have the best backstab animation.

Whix
Oct 2, 2008

IT GOES BOOM!

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I like the Great Club, it's like hurling a tree trunk down on them. SPLAT!

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Agree'd

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

CJacobs posted:

I liked Transistor, so I modded the Wanderer set to look kinda like Red's outfit. I couldn't get it perfect because you can't change models, just the textures, but hey I tried. Still gotta edit the bumpmaps to make the transistor symbol appropriately shiny.

edit: I also plan to make the jacket not be ripped at the bottom; the coat is longer initially but the ripped parts on the vanilla texture have transparency, so I just made that part transparent and moved the ripped part upward so it's shorter like Red's coat is. And also, the transistor symbol is kind of hidden by the bottom of the hood which is a bummer because it doesn't have transparency on it!

My to do list is as follows: Fix the ripped part of the coat, remove the ridges in the fabric on the bumpmaps/the original texture, and then find a better texture for the pants because the vanilla wanderer set pants texture is awful.

This is pretty neat.

Jessie Tanner
Jan 18, 2013
This game is broken as hell:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgN-m-pUtt4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

How worth it is this skip? You still need to ring to get to the Giant Lord and then the Throne of Want.