Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
Finally got my key from GMG in my email about 5 mins ago. Download started!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I like how people are ragging on the PRESS X TO HACK. What are they meant to do?
If you make it a set of button sequences it's a QTE and everyone hates QTEs.
If you make it a minigame like Deus Ex HR, everyone hates minigames after the first three.
If you make it like Uplink how the gently caress would you make something like that work on a console?

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning
Still waiting for it to show up in UPlay with an nVidia promo code.

What the actual gently caress, why is it available the day before release over in the states but nobody in the UK can get a hold of it?

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES

A Reasonable Man posted:

If you are having trouble with the driving, give the cockpit cam a shot. Not only is it cool, but it seems to have made things easier.

The game is also really forgiving about driving between cars, so go nuts. Really helps when trying to lose a tail.

Honestly, I can't find anything so completely offensive about this game that I would need to react with the amount of vitriol I've seen so far across the internet. The invasion thing, while partly a rip-off from Dark Souls, is definitely reminiscent of the assassin's creed MP (blending in with NPCs and stuff) and fun as hell. More stuff like this is needed in gaming.

Seriously, after reading this thread I was stealing myself for some serious disappointment, but so far the game seems fun and worth the money spent.

I think the biggest issue most players are having is the fact that the game doesn't really do anything exceptional on its own. The city is OK at best, but the lack of interaction with the environment (I'm looking at you instantly stopping trains) is a let down (clarification edit: yes the game enviornment is interactable, because of hacking, but it is far less interactive and immersive than a game whose sole focus is this very interaction should be). The shooting is ok but done better in other open world games. The driving is quite honestly some of the worst ever, even worst than GTA IV and that's a feat. The invasion stuff is neat, and a good idea, and the hacking is a fun novelty but it wears thin very quickly.

Nothing holds water, its a game with a decent enough idea but it is executed so poorly I just don't see it being a hit. The first few hours are definitely very fun but it wears thin so quickly, its very hard to justify the cost. Not to mention the story line is pathetically weak and cliche. Everything this game offers is done better elsewhere, except for hacking.

The biggest offense and quite frankly the reason I think players should avoid it is how AMD has been blocked from optimizing the game effecitvely punishing users who bought AMD cards. That is unacceptable in my mind.

ScienceAndMusic fucked around with this message at 08:17 on May 27, 2014

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

marxismftw posted:

Make sure you've got the day 1 patch, otherwise, switching to borderless windowed mode seemed to fix most of the studdering for me.

I just checked my version, I don't have the day one patch and neither steam nor uplay show any indications of downloading it.
The borderless window mode made the game stutter less but its still massive stutter with crazy graphics glitches, here's hoping I can figure out the patch detail.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

It's an open world Ubisoft game, first you go to a place to see what stuff is on the map then you hunt down stuff to get better stuff for your guy. It's fun and exactly what I wanted.

I've been hunting down audiologs and there is some neat stuff in there. I also like the DedSec vids you can watch when you hack a CTos center.

ScienceAndMusic posted:

The biggest offense and quite frankly the reason I think players should avoid it is how AMD has been blocked from optimizing the game effecitvely punishing users who bought AMD cards. That is unacceptable in my mind.

Are we in conspiracy land again? You know AMD makes the chips for the PS4 and the XBONE right?

Sandweed fucked around with this message at 08:20 on May 27, 2014

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I love that you can see the interiors of buildings

http://www.gfycat.com/OddballUnlawfulHawk

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Capn Beeb posted:

drat, game. :smith:
Honestly it only misses his loving dog lying there with him with a paw on his heart to be more obnoxious, Christmas really? When will games have better writing that doesn't have to pull things like this.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
The alien invasion AR game is pretty awesome. Round 13 with it now and I think I'll see how far I can get.

Some people also freak out because you're basically running around pointing an invisible gun and going "pew pew pew"

Ularg fucked around with this message at 08:24 on May 27, 2014

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

ScienceAndMusic posted:

I think the biggest issue most players are having is the fact that the game doesn't really do anything exceptional on its own. The city is OK at best, but the lack of interaction with the environment (I'm looking at you instantly stopping trains) is a let down (clarification edit: yes the game enviornment is interactable, because of hacking, but it is far less interactive and immersive than a game whose sole focus is this very interaction should be). The shooting is ok but done better in other open world games. The driving is quite honestly some of the worst ever, even worst than GTA IV and that's a feat. The invasion stuff is neat, and a good idea, and the hacking is a fun novelty but it wears thin very quickly.

Nothing holds water, its a game with a decent enough idea but it is executed so poorly I just don't see it being a hit. The first few hours are definitely very fun but it wears thin so quickly, its very hard to justify the cost. Not to mention the story line is pathetically weak and cliche. Everything this game offers is done better elsewhere, except for hacking.

Cool. Now we can all bask in your post and when the new game sheen wears off (I've beaten the game and my save file won't transfer over so I'm going for round two) you can come back and we'll all kiss your feet for refusing to listen to your wise judgement. Meanwhile I think the Titanfall thread needs you.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES

Sandweed posted:

It's an open world Ubisoft game, first you go to a place to see what stuff is on the map then you hunt down stuff to get better stuff for your guy. It's fun and exactly what I wanted.

I've been hunting down audiologs and there is some neat stuff in there. I also like the DedSec vids you can watch when you hack a CTos center.

Are we in conspiracy land again? You know AMD makes the chips for the PS4 and the XBONE right?

No, it has to do with nvidia gameworks, read these:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonev...ming-ecosystem/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2014/05/26/watch-dogs-pc-benchmark-results-multiple-amd-and-nvidia-cards-tested/

The short version is: Watch Dogs is using a form of proprietary software, nvidia gameworks, that makes it so AMD isn't allowed to see the DX11 code so it is unable to optimize drivers for the game.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Palpek posted:

Honestly it only misses his loving dog lying there with him with a paw on his heart to be more obnoxious, Christmas really? When will games have better writing that doesn't have to pull things like this.

When their target audience isn't gamers.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Hey I updated my drivers and was able to play without crashing which is good. Only got like fifteen minutes in though so I don't have much of an opinion yet.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

ScienceAndMusic posted:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2014/05/26/watch-dogs-pc-benchmark-results-multiple-amd-and-nvidia-cards-tested/

The short version is: Watch Dogs is using a form of proprietary software, nvidia gameworks, that makes it so AMD isn't allowed to see the DX11 code so it is unable to optimize drivers for the game.

Your article quotes the AMD CEO, clearly no bias there.

Oh and the relevant portion:

quote:

Hruska successfully prophesied this very day back in December, saying: And while we acknowledge that current Gameworks titles implement no overt AMD penalties, developers who rely on that fact in the future may discover that their games run unexplainably poorly on AMD hardware with no insight into why.

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Yeah no. This game is probably the most fun I've had in the last 2 years. If you don't find 1v1 hacking hilarious fun you have no soul. :colbert:

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
The only lesson I'm learning from the griping here and elsewhere about nVidia is that I shouldn't buy AMD products. My previous experience with their products (consoles excepted) support that same lesson.

Watch_Dogs is cool and fun. It may not be for everyone. If you like open-world type games, it's fun, and looks very nice on ultra. It's not groundbreaking but, and this might be weird for some, a game doesn't have to be entirely fresh and new to be fun.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

krispykremessuck posted:

The only lesson I'm learning from the griping here and elsewhere about nVidia is that I shouldn't buy AMD products. My previous experience with their products (consoles excepted) support that same lesson.

Watch_Dogs is cool and fun. It may not be for everyone. If you like open-world type games, it's fun, and looks very nice on ultra. It's not groundbreaking but, and this might be weird for some, a game doesn't have to be entirely fresh and new to be fun.

It's not right that a rival company is stifling the competition like this and it is unfair to those who own AMD products.

...Saying that, my experience with AMD products has been pretty poor as well. The last few rigs I built using AMD components all needed repaired in a year and a half, whereas Intel/nVidia just keep running...

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is anyone able to make this work with steam overlay?
The overlay seems to work fine when you do a fresh launch from Steam (ie no Uplay launcher open), if I start the game after exiting it through the Uplay launcher the overlay doesn't work.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

WMain00 posted:

It's not right that a rival company is stifling the competition like this and it is unfair to those who own AMD products.

...Saying that, my experience with AMD products has been pretty poor as well. The last few rigs I built using AMD components all needed repaired in a year and a half, whereas Intel/nVidia just keep running...

The last AMD focused product I had gave me no good impressions, as far as I can tell their recent products have been subpar regardless of these sudden statements that one game is being denied access due to cooperation with Nvidia.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Ularg posted:

How do invasions work? I spend a lot of time grabbing a drink or talking with friends and family while the game is paused. Can I get invaded while on a mission? Or while my game is paused?

My first invasion was definitely while a guy was taking a piss or something. He didn't move for the first several minutes. It was great fun watching him panic in the last few minutes though. Still interrupted it at 84%. :(

Disappointing first impression overall but online stuff is super fun. I can't believe the PS4 version looks worse than GTA on the 360.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I think in the last post ScienceAndMusic wrote some solid points explaining his problems with the game and people dismissing those with "nah ah" only make the game look bad in my eyes. Write why you don't agree and not some bullshit about Battlefield 4 nobody cares about.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Reviews are in: Eurogamer 7/10, Giantbomb 3/5

Not good.

Cool Blue Reason
Jan 7, 2010

by Lowtax
Well the thread convinced me to get Sleeping Dogs. Still not sure about that other dogs game though.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Cool Blue Reason posted:

Well the thread convinced me to get Sleeping Dogs. Still not sure about that other dogs game though.

You have chosen wisely :hfive:

I wish I could get a Men-In-Black memory wipe just so I could play Sleeping Dogs again.

As far as reviews go, I think someone expected gaming journalism to drop the typical 85/100 deuce while being more of a 65/100 game which sounds about right.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 09:15 on May 27, 2014

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Good or bad, this game is gonna introduce people to JC Brooks and the Uptown Sound and that makes it cool in my book.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Bigsteve posted:

Not good.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/watch-dogs/critic-reviews

Lots of 80+

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

I've got some kinda static artifacting or something it seems? But it moves with the camera, like it looks like a filter or something. That sound like something that should be there or do I need to worry? Settings high to ultra with a 7870 and a new i5 processor, I have the recommended specs I think. Is there a visual filter to this game?

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

ScienceAndMusic posted:

are you loving kidding me

I can understand a partnership allowing them access to make optimized drivers before the game's release with other manufacturers' drivers coming afterward but if this is true it's loving unacceptable

WirelessPillow posted:

The last AMD focused product I had gave me no good impressions, as far as I can tell their recent products have been subpar regardless of these sudden statements that one game is being denied access due to cooperation with Nvidia.

Their graphics cards and APUs have been great value for money with no major issues for years now. According to Steam 30% of their users have AMD cards, shipping a game that's already pretty unoptimized then not allowing them to tweak their drivers as nvidia have to alleviate it because of some bullshit exclusivity deal is dumb.

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 09:28 on May 27, 2014

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...
Xboxone.... loving it so far.

Ignore gaming press, they're all idiots.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Just did my first invasion, ran onto a road and got instantly wiped by a garbage truck. I'm not very good at this game.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

There. What the hell is that poo poo? Right over the Go on the side of the locker.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Just did my first invasion, ran onto a road and got instantly wiped by a garbage truck. I'm not very good at this game.

Dunno, sounds like you're living the dream there....

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Bigsteve posted:

Not good.

What a wonderful industry we patronize when 7/10 is considered 'not good'. To be fair Eurogamer tend to be more realistic with their scoring with 7/10 being 'good' rather than 'mediocre'. I'd agree with that score tbh, at least from what I've played.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Is that suppose to be wrigley or comiskey

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

TheSpiritFox posted:

There. What the hell is that poo poo? Right over the Go on the side of the locker.

There's a weird 'water on the lens' effect in the prologue that's so bizarrely static that it seems to be some graphical artifact. I got it too; it went away when I finished the opening mission.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Generic Monk posted:

There's a weird 'water on the lens' effect in the prologue that's so bizarrely static that it seems to be some graphical artifact. I got it too; it went away when I finished the opening mission.

Ok. I was afraid that somehow my GPU was frying at 108 Farenheit.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Bigsteve posted:

Not good.
No matter if the game is good or bad, review numbers mean nothing. My favorite games all hang between 70 and 80 metascore. Reading the actual pros/cons from reviewers your taste aligns with makes a lot more sense.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

WMain00 posted:

It's a really crappy situation. Turns out, there's a lot of those in the business world. I'm not about to condemn or condone based on a Forbes article, of all things.

Palpek posted:

I think in the last post ScienceAndMusic wrote some solid points explaining his problems with the game and people dismissing those with "nah ah" only make the game look bad in my eyes. Write why you don't agree and not some bullshit about Battlefield 4 nobody cares about.

OK. He did say though that the single biggest reason he didn't like the game was the AMD vs. nVidia debacle. I'm an rear end in a top hat, so I'll assume he is too and that it's about 99% of the reason.

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Cons:
-Users are reporting large numberr of graphical glitches, falling through terrain glitches, and general unplayable ness.

Subjective. I'm a user of this game and haven't noted any of this. I've got it on ultra on a 770 GTX and crappy other hardware. Except for when Steam decided to do something, haven't noticed any problems. The only thing like that I've noticed is that occasionally when I'm going really fast on a motorcycle the LoD stuff acts wacky when I move into a new part of town. It doesn't happen consistently though, so no idea.

quote:

-AMD was blocked from any optimization.

AMD stated they didn't get much time for optimization, and that they'd have a driver update out this week. That's not blocked. Not prioritized, sure. Blocked? No.

quote:

-THe AI is absolutely atrocious

Not really? The AI seeks me out when I do something that alerts them without infuriating poo poo like GTA where they just bee-line for my position. Several at the same time will fan out and look for me, checking just about everywhere forcing me to move. I guess some of the civilians occasionally don't get out of the way of me flying off the train tracks and into them.

quote:

-The visuals are at a best late 2012 standard, but the game is missing large amounts of standard visual fanfare, e.g. dynamic shadows.

I agree with the shadows thing. That and the lighting was a little disappointing. It's a pretty large open world though, so I guess I'm just a jerk that gives a little slack here since open world games tend to be pretty taxing. I guess higher res textures would have been cool.

quote:

-The storyline is incredibly weak and basic

Yup.

quote:

-THe driving is incredibly terrible, like driving a hunk of ice on the road.

I dunno about this. I feel like the cars do kinda suck, but I like the motorcycles and (surprisingly) the dually trucks. I've been doing a lot of things in the game though, so I haven't spent much time driving that wasn't on a motorcycle.

quote:

I could go on, but if you are on the fence, wait until its 10 bucks tops.

See above. And yes, Sleeping Dogs is also a very solid buy at any point. As far as the game not really bringing anything new to the table, I'm not sure what it should have brought. Perhaps a compiling minigame? I dunno, I guess I'm not very imaginative, but also kept my expectations in check about how the hacking was going to work, and so far it has exceeded them. There's kind of a limitation on the input methods and nature of the game for it to bring something truly unique to the table regarding the hacking.

Generic Monk posted:

Their graphics cards and APUs have been great value for money with no major issues for years now. According to Steam 30% of their users have AMD cards, shipping a game that's already pretty unoptimized then not allowing them to tweak their drivers as nvidia have to alleviate it because of some bullshit exclusivity deal is dumb.

I agree 100%. They're a great deal for the money. However, if you have the extra money to burn is there performance based reason not to go with nVidia? I understand that some people don't, and that's OK. We're talking about the people that do here, though.

Also, the remaining ~70% if nVidia/Intel/Other with the single largest GPU noted in use being an Intel Integrated one. Is Intel bemoaning nVidia's unfair access?

Skunny Wundy
Jul 9, 2012

So just how bad is Aiden as a character?

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Skunny Wundy posted:

So just how bad is Aiden as a character?

He's got a serious case of Batman voice. Otherwise he's a calm and cool loaner vigilante just striking back at the criminals that messed with his family. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Ok I'm in the open world and it's telling me to look for crimes and I still have the loving water lens filter thing on. It's incredibly obnoxious outside during the day, is there any way to straight turn it off? When did it turn off dude who responded? I got safely to the motel, was it then or after that or what?

TheSpiritFox fucked around with this message at 09:55 on May 27, 2014

• Locked thread