Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sexual Lorax posted:

Nothing related to their skills--just that Dozier got a very entertaining reaction compared to this compliment.

Dozier got a very accurate reaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Cubs have successfully recreated the left-side of the infield from the 2012 Blue Jays, for better or for worse (for worse).

Milwaukee is on the clock whenever it starts again. Just a reminder Seattle has a pick coming up soon since we swapped in the next round.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Arizona and Tampa Bay have made a deal:

TB sends their 7th, 8th and 17th to AZ for their two 8th round picks and the first of their two 14th round picks.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
If I need to confirm it yeah that

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Uh I don't know what happened with my trade but I am AZ not SEA :angelwings:

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

kensei posted:

Uh I don't know what happened with my trade but I am AZ not SEA :angelwings:

OOPS

e: i even doublechecked before editing it and my brain still defaulted to "kensei like mariner" lmao

e2: there we go im pretty sure its fixed now but seiferguy/kensei if your 8th/14th round picks look messed up they probably are SORRY

Monicro fucked around with this message at 04:51 on May 27, 2014

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Monicro posted:

OOPS

e: i even doublechecked before editing it and my brain still defaulted to "kensei like mariner" lmao

yeah seiferguy beat me to posting in the thread

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Not to be nitpicky, but it would be really nice if people would post their team when they make a pick. Since I'm not drafting, I'm planning to write up some "season previews" and to make a long story short I've got my own spreadsheet I'm filling in as we go along. Most people are doing this, but occasionally some jerk like FairGame ( ;) ) doesn't and I have to go searching for what team they run. Anyway, I'd appreciate it.

e: If y'all wanna make my life really easy, you could also include the pick number, but I'm certainly not demanding it. (The next pick will be #206.)

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 13:26 on May 27, 2014

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Mornacale posted:

Not to be nitpicky, but it would be really nice if people would post their team when they make a pick. Since I'm not drafting, I'm planning to write up some "season previews" and to make a long story short I've got my own spreadsheet I'm filling in as we go along. Most people are doing this, but occasionally some jerk like FairGame ( ;) ) doesn't and I have to go searching for what team they run. Anyway, I'd appreciate it.

Yeah, I'm sorry. I had to do the same a couple of times and found it moderately annoying too.

this is a good idea everyone please do this

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

So should we go back and edit in pick #s?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Pander posted:

So should we go back and edit in pick #s?

I think it's just more a matter of "<teamname> selects <playername>, putting <teamname> on the clock" would be helpful. I don't think it matters that much if a dude was taken 271st or 254th overall

By the way did you know that Mike Piazza was taken 9000th overall and only as a favor to Tommy Lasorda, and that Matt Adams went to Slippery Rock?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Just a reminder that Milwaukee is a little more than an hour into their clock, since it started with the Cubs pick and not STL making their skipped pick.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

RE: Brandon Phillips picture in the draft thread

I'd like to believe he's a really happy-go-lucky dude when he's not in the spotlight.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Brandon Phillips was a guy I targeted but his recent numbers scared me away since he's looking like he's degrading fast.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

seiferguy posted:

Brandon Phillips was a guy I targeted but his recent numbers scared me away since he's looking like he's degrading fast.

I don't think he's a bad pick here because he's still a great defender and the bat only has to hold for one season.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Cleveland gonna get skipped in about five minutes, Boston, Arizonax2, Boston, Cleveland (lol), Milwaukee are hopefully prepared!

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Trades pay off! :woop:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I think I checked before (because I think you specifically asked) but man I really hope Wlad is in the game

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

I was thinking about going for Wlad, but like 8 rounds from now. Still jealous though.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

I think I checked before (because I think you specifically asked) but man I really hope Wlad is in the game

He is, I have seen his rankings in NPB and they are stellar :)

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I hope this means what I think it could mean.

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Michael Pineda just couldn't stay healthy...
gently caress, I wish I'd thought of Wlad.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

tadashi posted:

I hope this means what I think it could mean.

I don't know what you think it means, but I figured if I picked one guy from Japan, the second might not make it back to me so I got busy trading. They are both pretty good at this point in time in the draft IMO.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

kensei posted:

He is, I have seen his rankings in NPB and they are stellar :)

Yeah but I'm worried that I didn't include the NPB when I generated the league :ohdear:

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

IcePhoenix posted:

Yeah but I'm worried that I didn't include the NPB when I generated the league :ohdear:

I checked with a league that didn't include NPB - it includes Wlad and Youk as retired players.

vv You're okay, Kensei, Wlad is in the game.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

.... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooo

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Screen Door Slams posted:

I checked with a league that didn't include NPB - it includes Wlad and Youk as retired players.

vv You're okay, Kensei, Wlad is in the game.

does this mean I have to unretire them or did they show up in the player pool as FA?

I am terrible and didn't even think this out.

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

IcePhoenix posted:

does this mean I have to unretire them or did they show up in the player pool as FA?

I am terrible and didn't even think this out.

You have to unretire them.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Mr. Cool rear end posted:

So I guess Cleveland gets 3 more hours for their two picks.

Nope, Milwaukee is on the clock

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

How did Wlad hit 60 HR and only 17 doubles in 130 games? That's pretty amazing.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

IcePhoenix posted:

Nope, Milwaukee is on the clock

Oh poo poo, let me find my list.

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Okay, I think kensei had the steal of the draft with Wlad. I wanted to see what he could do, so I unretired him and ran a season.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

So he's basically prime Adam Dunn?

Seriously, 10 2B, 3 3B, and 50 HR?

How does a guy with 50 HR power only hit 10 doubles?!

CFBalla
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, I just made that shot. :smug:

Okay, I think kensei had the steal of the draft with Wlad. I wanted to see what he could do, so I unretired him and ran a season.

I think this might border on gaming the system, since Wlad never even OPS+ over around 80 during his short, 3 year MLB career where he never played a full season. Still, great pick kensei!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

CFBalla posted:

I think this might border on gaming the system, since Wlad never even OPS+ over around 80 during his short, 3 year MLB career where he never played a full season. Still, great pick kensei!

That's also in Yankee stadium.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

CFBalla posted:

He was definitely trending upward, so I don't think it's entirely fair to hang his MLB numbers as his peak. The slash rates given by Screen Door Slams mirror his AAA slash line from 2010, and he's definitely gotten better since then.

I just didn't think non-MLB/MiLB players were fair game though, since suspended players are still out.

CFBalla
Sep 16, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

That's also in Yankee stadium.

Oh duh; didn't even notice haha. Those numbers probably aren't as sustainable in Phoenix then. Still should work out well for kensei.

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

CFBalla posted:

I mean, I dunno. His MLB time came at the ages of 23 and 24 and he was in Japan by the time he hit 26, so it's quite possible he just put it all together and if he came back to MLB he could do it. I dunno.

And yeah, YS3

CFBalla
Sep 16, 2009

I mean, I dunno. His MLB time came at the ages of 23 and 24 and he was in Japan by the time he hit 26, so it's quite possible he just put it all together and if he came back to MLB he could do it. I dunno.

It's definitely not impossible. Now I'm curious how OOTP sets up career arcs and player's peaks when determining how well they should do in a season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Arizona is going to just mash this year :getin:

• Locked thread