Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Of course not, Stalin helped. Geez, pay attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
How much time does it spend talking about aliens?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Maybe that miniseries was (is going to be) made by historians 500 years from now and sent back to our time.

Did Lenin personally slain the Tsar in a swordfight on the Eiffel tower?

Perry Bible Fellowship was right, it seems.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

^^^: Exactly. I really, really want to see that. To see what the study of history is like in a few centuries' time.

To some degree, I'd actually like to see a documentary like this. "How many unicorns really died in the Holocaust? We may never know."

"The Spanish Tercios were essential to their victory on the Marne."

And so on.

edit: I heard somewhere (maybe a little upthread) that in Spanish, 'Tercio' just refers to the group of soldiers (like 'regiment' or 'battalion') but not to their specific formation, while in the anglosphere we think of it as a squarish formation. True/false?

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 03:39 on May 27, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

uPen posted:

How much time does it spend talking about aliens?

I'm pretty sure they're setting up a reveal of Hitler being an unearthly alien being in the 3rd episode. It's the only explanation his depiction so far.

Now that I think about it, besides Woodrow Wilson and Pancho Villa there has not been a single historical figure mentioned, let alone named, aside from the "main characters" of the series. You can count the names on two hands. So all of the central figures of World War I? See the Commanders and Leaders list on the top of the wiki article?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_war_i Yeah, only Wilson is mentioned.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 27, 2014

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Well, we did have air-cooled browning machine-guns in 1919, but other than that it sounds awful, yeesh.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Hey guys, I don't like history anymore. I'm going to go drink some paint.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

HEY GAL posted:

Also: do any of you remember when I mentioned finding a dude with the fantastic name of Century van Breitenbach? He's in a muster roll from 1681.

Today I found a Julius Caesar van Breitenbach testifying in a murder trial in 1625. Like, a grandfather or great uncle or something.

Conclusion: not only is this evidence for military service as a familial way of life for normal people as well as famous people (which we already know about), that family's been massive dorklords (pretty sure Century refers to the Roman military unit) for at least seventy years or so.

This is such an awesome discovery.

Can we find their modern descendants and see if they're Byzantine fanboys?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

^^^: Exactly. I really, really want to see that. To see what the study of history is like in a few centuries' time.

To some degree, I'd actually like to see a documentary like this. "How many unicorns really died in the Holocaust? We may never know."

"The Spanish Tercios were essential to their victory on the Marne."

And so on.

edit: I heard somewhere (maybe a little upthread) that in Spanish, 'Tercio' just refers to the group of soldiers (like 'regiment' or 'battalion') but not to their specific formation, while in the anglosphere we think of it as a squarish formation. True/false?
If you've read the Hawkmoon books by Michael Moorcock in which the eponymous Duke of Köln fights the evil empire of Granbretan there's some fun references to a play written about two ancient gods who fought over the world in the days of myth before the generic "world altering event" that collapsed the old order of all fantasy works.

It's called "Chirshill and Adulf"

The same playwright also wrote "King Staleen".

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Arquinsiel posted:

If you've read the Hawkmoon books by Michael Moorcock in which the eponymous Duke of Köln fights the evil empire of Granbretan there's some fun references to a play written about two ancient gods who fought over the world in the days of myth before the generic "world altering event" that collapsed the old order of all fantasy works.

It's called "Chirshill and Adulf"

The same playwright also wrote "King Staleen".

Robert Jordan did this some too. "Tell us about Lenn, how he flew to the moon in the belly of an eagle made of fire. Tell about his daughter Salya walking among the stars."

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Hargrimm posted:

Robert Jordan did this some too. "Tell us about Lenn, how he flew to the moon in the belly of an eagle made of fire. Tell about his daughter Salya walking among the stars."

There's also a tabletop RPG on this theme.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
^^^^
Holy crap, that's an SJGames publication. I've gotta see if it's still available.

ETA: and by "still available" I mean "to MIBs, to run games of".

Hargrimm posted:

Yeah but it becomes relevant to the Hawkmoon stuff, and unlike Jordan you can actually get through the entire series in a relatively short time.

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 05:16 on May 27, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Well the AV Club basically covers it.

http://www.avclub.com/review/world-wars-reduces-global-conflict-story-few-great-204903

And I was rolling my eyes when Rumsfeld showed up on the show to talk about stuff. I am literally laughing now knowing that Cheney is going to appear. Getting loving Dick Cheney to talk about morality and war in a "documentary." :ironicat:

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 05:45 on May 27, 2014

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Well the AV Club basically covers it.

http://www.avclub.com/review/world-wars-reduces-global-conflict-story-few-great-204903

And I was rolling my eyes when Rumsfeld showed up on the show to talk about stuff. I am literally laughing now knowing that Cheney is going to appear. Getting loving Dick Cheney to talk about morality and war in a "documentary." :ironicat:

quote:

the opening credits feature introductions for Hitler, Churchill, and their contemporaries that would feel right at home in an Expendables movie, or possibly Wrestlemania.

I might have to watch this at some point, hopefully the Cheney portion will go up on youtube.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

uPen posted:

I might have to watch this at some point

http://youtu.be/CRXyl98-4Sc?t=21s

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 06:04 on May 27, 2014

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

quote:

While it’s just vaguely pointless to bring in former British Prime Minister John Major to offer banal platitudes about Churchill or General Stanley McChrystal to do the same for Douglas MacArthur,

Whoever made that casting decision is a goddamn genius.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The Churchill speech in that trailer is loving hilarious because it has actual emotion in it compared to what was actually delivered and recorded. The relevant "we shall fight..." portion is near the end, so skip to about 11 minutes in.

I like to think it was a limitation of the technology at the time, but it sounds like Churchill had this horrible problem with his palate.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Or he was just drunk.

I actually think the lack of emotion helps him here, makes it sound like what he's proposing is very routine and everybody just has to get on with it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

PittTheElder posted:

Or he was just drunk.

I actually think the lack of emotion helps him here, makes it sound like what he's proposing is very routine and everybody just has to get on with it.

Maybe just speaking around a cigar. But yeah, I could see him trying to make "fight the Germans" a routine part of proper British behaviour.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

That was me, and kind of but also not really: all English language secondary sources and some German ones call the big block a Tercio but in the period Tercio was the administrative unit and Escuadron is what it's called when they fight. (Reflecting other peoples' difference between Regiment--the administrative unit--and Batallion--the tactical unit.)

Where you're wrong is that it's not a difference of opinion, the people who say the Tercio was the big block are just wrong here, and so was I until a few months ago. Also, neither one refers to the specific formation; a Batallion/Escuadron/[your native language here] is just what everyone calls a single fighting unit, the big group'o'dudes, no matter what shape it is or whether or not they're getting smaller over the course of the 17th century. (Incidentally, Spanish tactics were a lot more intellectually dynamic than we used to think, and they came up with a lot of interesting ideas during the century. The 1630s Escuadron looked nothing like the big 3,000-people 1590s Escuadron.)

HisMajestyBOB posted:

This is such an awesome discovery.

Can we find their modern descendants and see if they're Byzantine fanboys?
The whole thing about classical Rome during this period was THEIR UNBROKEN MILITARY PROWESS WHICH WE'RE DUPLICATING RIGHT NOW, SWEAR TO GOD. So the modern equivalent would be something else, I think. If I find a German guy with the first name "Katana" I'll let you guys know.

Hey now, I'd like to think our future colleagues don't huff glue.

Anyway, Book of the New Sun, set millions of years in the future, has (among other things) a folktale in it which is an amalgamation of the guy going off to slay the Minotaur with the Monitor/Virginia fight.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 09:58 on May 27, 2014

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

HEY GAL posted:

Hey now, I'd like to think our future colleagues don't huff glue.

Future historians might not, but popular perception of history might. I mean, hell, the public thinks cannons were first invented sometime during the 17th century (but the Chinese used gunpowder for fireworks earlier, those silly little orientals!).

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

WreckSov posted:

I feel this has given me a great perspective of the period and people.
Yeah. We always have to remember that behind the Great Figures of fame and legend lurked thousands of unsung people, and that some of those people were massive, irredeemable dweebs.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

ArchangeI posted:

Future historians might not, but popular perception of history might. I mean, hell, the public thinks cannons were first invented sometime during the 17th century (but the Chinese used gunpowder for fireworks earlier, those silly little orientals!).
It's very rarely that I talk to someone about this who isn't at least an interested layperson. I did tell a guy once I studied the Saxons and he said "What, like...ancient tribes?" and in retrospect that was my own fault.

If you tell an American you study the 30 Years' War they won't have any idea what that is. If you tell a German they'll go "Yeah, that was just about the second worst thing that ever happened to us, go us I guess."

Edit: Now I really want to know what random people think about artillery, I bet it's charming.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 09:55 on May 27, 2014

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

HEY GAL posted:

if I find a German guy with the first name "Katana" I'll let you guys know.

He posts in the Bundesliga thread.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Here in New Zealand it was ANZAC day not too long ago. Actual conversation I had with someone:

:iamafag: Why are they sending a delegation to Turkey? They didn't help at all

:raise: ...what do you mean? Help with what?

:iamafag: Fighting the germans. They didn't do jack poo poo! It was fully just New Zealand and Australia.

:raise: As in...during world war two? Or what?

:iamafag: No dumbass at gallipoli. They didn't do poo poo and I reckon that's why the germans won.

:raise: Wait...what? Do you realise the Turks were fighting against the british and anzacs and so on?

:iamafag: HAHAHAHAHA what are you retarded? Why would they be sending a delegation to the enemy country?? :smugdog:

:psyduck:

edit: well, a month ago. I lose track of time.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
When did the History Channel completely jump the shark and become solely about Hitler and/or Aliens? Also why do people keep watching it?

I remember when I was younger it used to show actual documentaries or old war films, the latter not being very educational but quite related to the subject matter at least I suppose. I haven't seen it in ages but it seems its turned into a joke? I remember when I lived in Canada, at the start of the time I lived there "the learning channel"/TLC used to show lots of documentaries and academic shows, then slowly just shifted to showing just home re-modelling shows and such.

Literal Hamster
Mar 11, 2012

YOSPOS

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

When did the History Channel completely jump the shark and become solely about Hitler and/or Aliens? Also why do people keep watching it?

I remember when I was younger it used to show actual documentaries or old war films, the latter not being very educational but quite related to the subject matter at least I suppose. I haven't seen it in ages but it seems its turned into a joke? I remember when I lived in Canada, at the start of the time I lived there "the learning channel"/TLC used to show lots of documentaries and academic shows, then slowly just shifted to showing just home re-modelling shows and such.

Serious answer: I think they fully jumped the shark sometime around 2008, I remember there was still decent programming as late as 2006.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I've been rewatching stuff like Dogfights! and even then it's the first hand experiences that make it entertaining.

I don't care if they want to make dramatic pauses every time one side spots the other, but a veteran pilot telling about the time he pushed his wingman's plane along with the nose of his Saber? :black101:

I really need to watch this trainwreck.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Were there any French or German generals in WWI whose images post-war got the Haig treatment - i.e. transformation into a mindless reactionary idiot who needlessly killed his own men? Like, does popular media in France and Germany today speak of "Murderer Moltke" or "Slaughterhouse Joffre" or what-have-you? And if the French and the Germans avoided painting their generals with that brush, can we guess at why they did so?

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Tomn posted:

Were there any French or German generals in WWI whose images post-war got the Haig treatment - i.e. transformation into a mindless reactionary idiot who needlessly killed his own men? Like, does popular media in France and Germany today speak of "Murderer Moltke" or "Slaughterhouse Joffre" or what-have-you? And if the French and the Germans avoided painting their generals with that brush, can we guess at why they did so?

Germany stayed on the defensive for most of the war in the west and won in the east, so from the German side you don't really have the narrative of "Sent 50.000 men to die in an attempt to shift his liquor cabinet six inches closer to Berlin Paris". The most well-known Generals are probably Hindenburg and Luddendorf, and if anything the view of them is that they came this close to winning if it hadn't been for the Americans with their white bread and their millions of soldiers and it just wasn't fair. Verdun is obviously considered a giant waste of men and the most important battle of the war for the layman, but few would even know who ordered the attack.

But WWI is overshadowed by WWII, so most Germans consider it "that war where everyone who was important in WWII was like a Corporal or something, also the Red Baron".

mastervj
Feb 25, 2011

HEY GAL posted:

Also: do any of you remember when I mentioned finding a dude with the fantastic name of Century van Breitenbach? He's in a muster roll from 1681.

Today I found a Julius Caesar van Breitenbach testifying in a murder trial in 1625. Like, a grandfather or great uncle or something.

Conclusion: not only is this evidence for military service as a familial way of life for normal people as well as famous people (which we already know about), that family's been massive dorklords (pretty sure Century refers to the Roman military unit) for at least seventy years or so.

Please do not ever stop posting.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I have a question:

Tactically, was there a bigger difference between 1870 and WWI or WWI and WWII?

It really seems like it's the latter, but my knowledge of the topic is largely retail, so when I think F-P T-50 and WWI I think trenches and artillery, whereas WWII is tanks, aerial bombardment, fire/maneuver, and urban fighting. This thread has done a lot to drive home the similarities between even Napoleonic warfare and WWII, but at the same time it seems like the interwar years of the 20th century saw more military development than the previous century combined. Sure the 19th century saw an advance in projectile fire rate, rocketry as a delivery method, payload, and maybe accuracy, but 1918-1939 saw submachine guns, semiautomatic rifles, early automatic rifles, modern (non-infantry) tank doctrine, bomber doctrine, man-mobile radio communication, etc.

It seems like the technological advancement since the preceding war was taken into account with WWII while WWI was this weird foal-like attempt at merging the death-dealing-tools of the era with a Napoleonic(?) tactical paradigm of digging in -> bombardment of enemy positions -> charge.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

ArchangeI posted:

Germany stayed on the defensive for most of the war in the west and won in the east, so from the German side you don't really have the narrative of "Sent 50.000 men to die in an attempt to shift his liquor cabinet six inches closer to Berlin Paris". The most well-known Generals are probably Hindenburg and Luddendorf, and if anything the view of them is that they came this close to winning if it hadn't been for the Americans with their white bread and their millions of soldiers and it just wasn't fair. Verdun is obviously considered a giant waste of men and the most important battle of the war for the layman, but few would even know who ordered the attack.

But WWI is overshadowed by WWII, so most Germans consider it "that war where everyone who was important in WWII was like a Corporal or something, also the Red Baron".

I think Falkenheyn is fairly well known, but the problem is that the Verdun opened with relative German success and legendary displays of Allied incompetence, so it doesn't lend itself to interpretation on par with the Somme.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

FAUXTON posted:

I have a question:

Tactically, was there a bigger difference between 1870 and WWI or WWI and WWII?

It really seems like it's the latter, but my knowledge of the topic is largely retail, so when I think F-P T-50 and WWI I think trenches and artillery, whereas WWII is tanks, aerial bombardment, fire/maneuver, and urban fighting. This thread has done a lot to drive home the similarities between even Napoleonic warfare and WWII, but at the same time it seems like the interwar years of the 20th century saw more military development than the previous century combined. Sure the 19th century saw an advance in projectile fire rate, rocketry as a delivery method, payload, and maybe accuracy, but 1918-1939 saw submachine guns, semiautomatic rifles, early automatic rifles, modern (non-infantry) tank doctrine, bomber doctrine, man-mobile radio communication, etc.

It seems like the technological advancement since the preceding war was taken into account with WWII while WWI was this weird foal-like attempt at merging the death-dealing-tools of the era with a Napoleonic(?) tactical paradigm of digging in -> bombardment of enemy positions -> charge.

I'll amend this question a bit in order to frame my answer: there was a bigger difference in (land) tactics used from the beginning of WWI to the end than in any other major war in history. As such, I'd say that there was very little difference between 1870 and 1914, and very little difference between 1918 and 1945 (or really, 2014).

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

bewbies posted:

I'll amend this question a bit in order to frame my answer: there was a bigger difference in (land) tactics used from the beginning of WWI to the end than in any other major war in history. As such, I'd say that there was very little difference between 1870 and 1914, and very little difference between 1918 and 1945 (or really, 2014).

Do you want to back up that assertion?

Honestly though, I don't think these comparisons can be made. I mean, by what metric? Further, what theatre? There are parts of WWI that are much more similar to WWII, than to other theatres in WWI. There are ways in which parts of WWII were more similar to 1870 than WWI. And so on.

Broadly though, my gut instinct is that an effective WWII army would have handily trounced a WWI-force, whereas an effective WWI army would probably have eventually stalemated against a sufficiently competent 1870 force.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Fangz posted:

Honestly though, I don't think these comparisons can be made. I mean, by what metric? Further, what theatre? There are parts of WWI that are much more similar to WWII, than to other theatres in WWI. There are ways in which parts of WWII were more similar to 1870 than WWI. And so on.

Broadly though, my gut instinct is that an effective WWII army would have handily trounced a WWI-force, whereas an effective WWI army would probably have eventually stalemated against a sufficiently competent 1870 force.

Speaking broadly about how tactical-level maneuver units of major combatants fought I think you can make some fairly universal conclusions. In the most basic terms, prior to WWI, and during the first phases of it, units maneuvered in order to position themselves in advantageous positions to fire on their opponents. During WWI, this changed pretty fundamentally; instead of maneuvering to fire, everyone began to use fire to facilitate maneuver. This started with the "rolling barrage" and eventually evolved into the infiltration stuff in WWI, to using tactical air power and armor in WWII, to using mechanized forces and helicopters today.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
From the Crazy Political Forwards thread:

BBJoey posted:

Is there anything in the idea that if Nazi Germany had held off on Operation Barbarossa, the Red Army would have modernised in peacetime and eventually Stalin would have declared war and rolled over the numerically inferior Wehrmacht? I always got the impression that the invasion of Russia went about as well for the Nazis as anyone could hope a war between Germany and the USSR would go, but that it just was literally impossible for Germany to come out on top because of the logistics involved.

e: Oops this isn't the milhist thread, sorry for continuing a derail.

While I cannot speak to the question of whether the USSR/Stalin would have attacked Nazi Germany of their own accord by 1942/1943 or something, I can say that the Wehrmacht basically did attack at the best possible time for them to have done so - the Red Army had just cast off its old inter-war organization and doctrine and was in the middle of adopting new ones, which left both the officer corps and the overall organization of the army in disarray. As well, the Red Army had already abandoned the pre-invasion of Poland Stalin Line, but had only just started construction of defenses along the new border.

The assumption is that, yes, if Germany had attacked sooner or later (or if the Soviets attacked the Germans at the time of their own choosing, they would have been able to accomplish far less than they historically did.

As for the phrase "went about as well as anyone could hope for", I do want to say that that is perhaps too deterministic (acknowledging that counter-factuals have their own set of pitfalls). There were changes in objectives and targets as Barbarossa rolled on that may be argued as mistakes in the context of "what would it have taken to make the Soviet government collapse". Instead of maintaining the force of a mailed fist the whole time through, divisions and corps and whole armies were redirected to seize secondary and tertiary goals to the effect of the fist opening up and prodding at Russia with outstretched fingers.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Slavvy posted:

Here in New Zealand it was ANZAC day not too long ago. Actual conversation I had with someone:

:iamafag: Why are they sending a delegation to Turkey? They didn't help at all

:raise: ...what do you mean? Help with what?

:iamafag: Fighting the germans. They didn't do jack poo poo! It was fully just New Zealand and Australia.

:raise: As in...during world war two? Or what?

:iamafag: No dumbass at gallipoli. They didn't do poo poo and I reckon that's why the germans won.

:raise: Wait...what? Do you realise the Turks were fighting against the british and anzacs and so on?

:iamafag: HAHAHAHAHA what are you retarded? Why would they be sending a delegation to the enemy country?? :smugdog:

:psyduck:

edit: well, a month ago. I lose track of time.
Yeah... there were also a lot of English and Irish there. Gallipoli was a full commonwealth fuckup. Good luck finding many people who even know it happened here though.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

HEY GAL posted:

Man those people would have fit in great with old southern aristocrats. You have singlehandedly increased my interest in the early modern period with your anecdotes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Fangz posted:

I should have clarified which front I was thinking of, and that is the Western front in Europe.

Maybe the Eastern (Europe) front as well if you feel it applies and want to make the effort but certainly not non-Russian Asia or the Pacific.

• Locked thread