Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand
My SO and I will probably be getting this custom-made ring in the next day or so. We're going with a 6.5mm moissanite center stone, pink sapphires for the peakaboo, and diamonds for the rest. I think it's beautiful, but do worry that I might be overpaying. It is being custom made, and the designer is throwing in a free independent appraisal, but how do I know he's not taking advantage of me? Or, rather, more so than would otherwise be expected, given this industry?

(Or would this question be better for the jewelry thread?)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

A lady should be two things, Classy and fabulous. Unfortunately, you my dear are neither.

john mayer posted:

I did my own makeup but I spent around $160 on my hair for my wedding at the salon I go to all the time. And I know even that amount was her cutting me a deal for being a regular. For that amount she did a test run and taught me how to put my veil in correctly. I'm in a cheap area too. So $400 sounds pretty spot on. Especially if you'll have a veil that they need to take into account.

I would poo poo bricks at this price. My regular hair dresser has quoted me $45-50 for my hair and $25 for my makeup. This is with an updo and her providing all the makeup.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SuzieMcAwesome posted:

My regular hair dresser has quoted me $45-50 for my hair and $25 for my makeup. This is with an updo and her providing all the makeup.

Are you sure you told her it was for a wedding? You need wedding makeup, obviously.

john mayer
Jan 18, 2011

SuzieMcAwesome posted:

I would poo poo bricks at this price. My regular hair dresser has quoted me $45-50 for my hair and $25 for my makeup. This is with an updo and her providing all the makeup.

That's crazy cheap. Do you live in Alaska or something? $50 would hardly get a shampoo and a blowout at a nice salon in most mid sized cities.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

baquerd posted:

Are you sure you told her it was for a wedding? You need wedding makeup, obviously.

I know this was sarcastic, but you do need more/different makeup than usual if you're being photographed extensively (especially with flash) so you don't get all washed out, red, shiny, etc in your wedding photos you spent a poo poo ton of money on.

I paid for my bridesmaids to get their hair and makeup done professionally as a bridesmaids gift and it came out to around $800 for the 5 of us. $400 for just one person is really steep. I'm not in the sticks either, this was at a pretty upscale salon in an expensive area.

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated
I'd never pay $400 for makeup. My dress and ring put together don't cost that, but then I'm hella cheap.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I know this was sarcastic, but you do need more/different makeup than usual if you're being photographed extensively (especially with flash) so you don't get all washed out, red, shiny, etc in your wedding photos you spent a poo poo ton of money on.

I paid for my bridesmaids to get their hair and makeup done professionally as a bridesmaids gift and it came out to around $800 for the 5 of us. $400 for just one person is really steep. I'm not in the sticks either, this was at a pretty upscale salon in an expensive area.
I'd recommend telling the salon you're getting makeup done for a "photo shoot" instead of "my wedding." Don't paint it like a modeling job, just say you're going to have a bunch of pictures taken with your family/friends/hamster.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

martyrdumb posted:

I'd recommend telling the salon you're getting makeup done for a "photo shoot" instead of "my wedding." Don't paint it like a modeling job, just say you're going to have a bunch of pictures taken with your family/friends/hamster.

This immediately fails the second you ask them to put in your veil. I think the additional 50% upcharge once you say the word "wedding" is bullshit too, but trying to skate around it will result in a lot of pissed-off vendors.

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated

Nicol Bolas posted:

This immediately fails the second you ask them to put in your veil. I think the additional 50% upcharge once you say the word "wedding" is bullshit too, but trying to skate around it will result in a lot of pissed-off vendors.
I'm not an expert at hair or weddings, but why is this not a thing that most people could handle themselves?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

martyrdumb posted:

I'm not an expert at hair or weddings, but why is this not a thing that most people could handle themselves?

Depends on your hair style and veil. I wore my hair down so it was easy to just pop the veil in after, but if you're getting a fancy updo sometimes the veil is integrated to the hairstyle so it needs to be inserted mid-styling.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
Either way trying to skate around the wedding upcharge for various vendors is risky. If they have any chance of figuring out it's a wedding, just tell them. If you really need a cost break, do the negotiation in the open and in good faith.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

martyrdumb posted:

I've got super short hair so I could probably do it myself, but I had (very fine) hair halfway down my back in high school. My prom updo took an hour to put in and had 65 bobby pins to keep all the curls in place. Let alone the fact that I had no idea how to curl my hair like that in the first place, I also know for a fact that if I or one of my friends had tried, it wouldn't have stayed up and secure and perfect through a long night of sweaty dancing without a real stylist's expertise. That's what you pay for.

(And I'm probably going to end up paying a good friend who dresses theatre wigs to get and dress and set a huge insane long theatre wig for my wedding.)

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

What's a polite way of telling someone that they're not invited to the wedding? I have a Facebook event for the wedding and just asked folks on it to send me their addresses so I can send out their invites. One girl posted on the page with her address, but I've only ever met her once. I didn't invite her because I barely know her! The event isn't open and it should be clear that I've only invited certain people.

I don't want to be rude.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
Do you have a mutual friend who knows her a lot better and could take it up with her? That might be a good option. Alternatively, you can write a polite apologetic message on fb: "Hey RandomGirl, so sorry for the confusion here but my wedding has a pretty strict limit on the number of people who can come, so I won't be able to send you an invite." (It does not matter if that is true or not. It is an acceptable polite way of saying what you mean.)

Also, you should make the facebook event private and invite-only so only people you explicitly invite can see the event / RSVP / post to the wall, and guests cannot invite other people (only the event host, you, can invite other people). If she could see the event at all, much less post to its wall, your privacy settings on the event are wack and need to be changed. Having that poo poo be public is a recipe for party-crashers and she was just kind enough to warn you that she wanted to crash it.

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

Doctor Candiru posted:

I think it's beautiful, but do worry that I might be overpaying.

Or, rather, more so than would otherwise be expected, given this industry?

What are you paying for it?

The reason you're nervous is because you don't know the ins & outs of pricing rings. Tshirts, cars, and even houses are much easier to price compare so it's not as scary buying those things.

Duckie
Sep 12, 2010

This is sewious!
A lot of salons just label it as a "special occasion style", but it also depends on how intricate you want your design for pricing. Even if you want it all up, there is still a lot of curling and pinning and other stuff that needs to be done. Not to mention a lot of people getting it done can get nasty. Please go to a trial run for your hair and makeup, it saves both of you time and heartache. At the salon I was at we did everything under a special occasion style, wedding updos included. I've had people come in and had to redo their hair three times because they decided they didn't like it. You will def get what you pay for in this, obv. not everyone is outrageously priced like $400, but if you want something done right and quick and well you will be paying for it. They charge so much because they are good at what they do(read reviews!)and deserve that money.

You could also go to a school if you didn't care so much, a lot of girls in school still do good work and it is a ton cheaper. If you want something simple or easy or just a lot of curls this is a good option.

Faxman
Feb 27, 2009
I've been engaged for almost 2 months now and the craziness is starting to die down. We've got a venue (which includes a caterer), photographer, and string quartet for the ceremony booked. Picked a DJ we like and should have him booked pretty soon. Her dad is giving us money to spend on whatever we want, her mom's paying for the quarter, my dad said he'd pay for the photographer and would also supply suits for me and the groomsmen. So far I think things are going pretty well, but now there's even more questions and ideas.

-Since pie is better than cake, I'd like to have a wedding pie. She'd like to have something to cut so I was thinking maybe a large pie and then a bunch of tarts for everyone, maybe a few different flavours. Has anybody come across this before or have any insight into why it's a good or terrible idea, or have ideas on how to fancy up a decorative pie?
-The hall we have is a fair bit bigger than we need for the reception - are there any good ideas on some easy things we may be able to add to the empty space? Right now there's already a lounge with the bar, head table on a stage, dance floor, all the tables and a photobooth in the back. Maybe we can do some kind of kids play area in the back as well? Anything else that could be fun?
-Since neither one of us likes being photographed there's not a lot of material for the traditional wedding photo slide show. An idea I had was instead to get a 10 minute video put together and have a couple of people reenact important moments from our life for everyone. I still don't know if this has any chance of working, but my step-brother (who will be a groomsman) is well connected in the local actor/arts community and I just thought it would be a unique spin on the photo slide show. Maybe a film noir style?
-The morning after the wedding her mom has offered to host a brunch (side note: why do people like brunch?) for family and friends at her house. I've already said I don't want to sit there and open gifts in front of everyone because that seems weird, but if we don't do that we're apparently supposed to have all the gifts opened already and displayed so everyone can see them. I don't really want that either. Is this actually a thing?
-Any good or interesting ideas on places to register? The main qualification for a place I think is that they have to have one of those scanner guns so you can go around and just scan the things you want. My fiancee has been wanting to play with the scanner gun for years. So far we looked at Crate & Barrel and The Bay. I rarely buy home things so I don't know really where is good.

That's a big wall of text but it's hard not to constantly think of wedding stuff right now.
March 28 can't get here soon enough/is coming way too fast.

Faxman fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 13, 2014

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Nicol Bolas posted:

Do you have a mutual friend who knows her a lot better and could take it up with her? That might be a good option. Alternatively, you can write a polite apologetic message on fb: "Hey RandomGirl, so sorry for the confusion here but my wedding has a pretty strict limit on the number of people who can come, so I won't be able to send you an invite." (It does not matter if that is true or not. It is an acceptable polite way of saying what you mean.)

Also, you should make the facebook event private and invite-only so only people you explicitly invite can see the event / RSVP / post to the wall, and guests cannot invite other people (only the event host, you, can invite other people). If she could see the event at all, much less post to its wall, your privacy settings on the event are wack and need to be changed. Having that poo poo be public is a recipe for party-crashers and she was just kind enough to warn you that she wanted to crash it.

I guess I made the mistake of making it a "friend's and friends of guests" thing. My fiancé wanted it to be a completely open event, but I didn't want that.

Though even if I did invite her, she wouldn't come. She has severe anxiety issues, which is why I've only met her once. Each time I try to invite her out to an art meeting, she's too scared to go. I highly doubt she would show up to a near stranger's wedding.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Nessa posted:

I guess I made the mistake of making it a "friend's and friends of guests" thing. My fiancé wanted it to be a completely open event, but I didn't want that.

Though even if I did invite her, she wouldn't come. She has severe anxiety issues, which is why I've only met her once. Each time I try to invite her out to an art meeting, she's too scared to go. I highly doubt she would show up to a near stranger's wedding.

Yikes. She might not show up, but other people that you don't want (and, worse, haven't budgeted for) might show up if it's a friends and friends of guests thing. Closing the event and talking to her will be a whole lot less awkward than some random friends-of-friends coming and helping themselves to your open bar.

Edit: I mean, I know you trust your friends, even your facebook friends, but do you trust all of your friend's facebook friends? Keep in mind that circle is substantially wider than actual real-life friends for most people.

Nicol Bolas fucked around with this message at 01:13 on May 14, 2014

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

A lady should be two things, Classy and fabulous. Unfortunately, you my dear are neither.

baquerd posted:

john mayer posted:

That's crazy cheap. Do you live in Alaska or something? $50 would hardly get a shampoo and a blowout at a nice salon in most mid sized cities.

Yes She knows it is for my wedding. I live in a moderately sized city in Kentucky.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
Re: pie... I did pie instead of cake at my wedding. Husband isn't a cake fan and I just like pie that much. I just called the local bakery and said give me 25 pies and they delivered free for that quantity. We didn't do anything fancy with the pie serving, we just asked the venue to cut and serve to guests. We didn't have a special pie set aside for us. I think people enjoyed the pie and we had a few flavors to choose from so we had something for everyone. The dinner included ice cream so it came a la mode if the guest was so inclined.

Everyone likes pie!

erobadapazzi
Jul 23, 2007
We did a cake and then used pies instead of the groom's cake. This had the added advantage of making it super easy to have one pie made sugar-free for diabetic relatives. Everyone thought it was all delicious! They just cut it up the same way they did the cake.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Nicol Bolas posted:

Yikes. She might not show up, but other people that you don't want (and, worse, haven't budgeted for) might show up if it's a friends and friends of guests thing. Closing the event and talking to her will be a whole lot less awkward than some random friends-of-friends coming and helping themselves to your open bar.

Edit: I mean, I know you trust your friends, even your facebook friends, but do you trust all of your friend's facebook friends? Keep in mind that circle is substantially wider than actual real-life friends for most people.

I made it a closed event and then messaged her, saying that our venue has limited space and will only be for family and close friends.

She then promptly defriended both of us without a response.

Seriously, what on earth makes it okay to invite yourself to someone's wedding when you've only met them once? And then to be offended to be told that the event is only for close friends and family? It's a shame, cause we wanted to hang out with her and her husband again sometime... Just not at our wedding.

Looks like I will be hiring someone I know to make a bunch of my cupcakes. I want to at least make some of them myself, but that's a lot of cupcakes for one person who is not a professional cupcake maker. I've got a couple diabetic people and one celiac person coming, so I might have some cupcakes specifically for them.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

She said yes! It was on the shores of dream lake in RMNP and was absolutely beautiful. Pictures when I can get them off my camera

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
If anyone is interested, here's a link to a slideshow of some of the wedding photos of my joint Scottish/Iranian wedding:

http://www.photographybyvicki.co.uk/blog/david-yasamin-preview/

We were very happy with how our photos have turned out (Not to sure about some of the choices that she put into that slideshow...basically, I've realised I must never smile. I look stupid.)

mediadave fucked around with this message at 10:33 on May 17, 2014

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

ch3cooh posted:

She said yes! It was on the shores of dream lake in RMNP and was absolutely beautiful. Pictures when I can get them off my camera

Congrats!

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Pardon our sunglasses, in all the non-sunglasses shots we're super squinty because of how bright it was. In the background is dream lake with Halletts Peak on the left and Flattop Mountain on the right

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
Congratulations ch3cooh! Well we are well into the organising phase now! I'm pretty much done but then I'm scary hyperorganised. We're getting married in Tasmania, Australia (I'm a Queenslander but I love Tassie and I want a good excuse to not invite most of my family, though I love them, I don't feel the need to pay for a huge Catholic family wedding) on October 18. We have paid our photographer, bought our rings, booked our flights and done a visit to Hobart to pick some vendors like a cake maker, florist, makeup and hair stylists and accommodation in the little seaside village in which the ceremony and reception will be held.

Here's some pics of our e-shoot that we had with our amazing photographer :)

If your photographer has an e-shoot or other pre-shoot available in their package, I urge you to take advantage. We drove to her home region 6 hours away from my town for a weekend trip to do this and it was so worth it just to get relaxed in front of the camera and learn how to respond to cues and stuff. It was great and every time I look at these pictures I tear up!

I also wanted to say how happy I am to have contacted Mi Emporium (an Australian website for a wide range of wedding / gifty type things) and asked them to custom print me some hoodies for my bridal party. They turned out AMAZING. I didn't want the girly cursive script that a lot of places have, I wanted something sorta "sport"y but still feminine so I asked if they could print "TEAM BRIDE" on the hoodies in sporty font. They did, and I love them so much. This is a BM one, mine is purple with the same lettering.

Everything is cruising along really well :)

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated
Wow, you guys are gorgeous. Thanks so much for sharing! :3:

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
Aw thanks that's so sweet! I'm pretty excited about getting married, I feel like my hyperorganisation is really allowing me to relax and enjoy it and be excited rather than stressed.

DaChurl
Nov 9, 2011

I'm not familiar with the type of thing I'm seeing.
What's the best time to make a gift registry? Our wedding isn't until next April, so I figure if we picked stuff out now the stores will have rotated out their stock by then. Should I have a registry set up by the time we send out the save the dates (6 months out) or maybe wait until we send the invitations? Am I putting way too much thought into asking for a bunch of presents?

Also, has anybody come across some good, comfortable wedding shoes? I'm not used to wearing high heels, so I figure I should shoot for a short wedge so I won't want to chop off my feet by the end of the day. Any recommendations?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

DaChurl posted:

What's the best time to make a gift registry? Our wedding isn't until next April, so I figure if we picked stuff out now the stores will have rotated out their stock by then. Should I have a registry set up by the time we send out the save the dates (6 months out) or maybe wait until we send the invitations? Am I putting way too much thought into asking for a bunch of presents?

Also, has anybody come across some good, comfortable wedding shoes? I'm not used to wearing high heels, so I figure I should shoot for a short wedge so I won't want to chop off my feet by the end of the day. Any recommendations?

We made ours about a year in advance and had no issues with stuff getting discontinued. Just don't put any seasonal stuff on it and you should be good to go.

The higher-quality shoe the more comfortable it will be. Spend some money on a really nice pair of shoes you can wear again, so avoid white wedding-looking shoes. I wore a pair of silver heels that i've re-worn a few times since the wedding because they don't look like wedding shoes. Then once you get your shoes get some of those gel inserts and heel grip things to make them fit perfectly so they're not rubbing anywhere.

PopRocks
Jul 4, 2003

WTF am I reading?

DaChurl posted:

Aerosoles and Rockport are both known for comfort, but they're also associated with casual old lady shoes. That doesn't mean they don't have something cute that could work for you, like these:
http://www.aerosoles.com/eng/product/ambiance/ambiance
http://www.rockport.com/seven-to-7-...inpump_atlantis

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Hello internet!

One roadblock we have hit is finding one of the bridesmaids suitable housing for the wedding. One of my fiance's bridesmaids is Orthodox Jewish and we are not. We are doing a Friday night wedding but the problem is that there is no hotels nearby and the wedding is in February. It is causing some consternation as my soon to be wife is trying to fix the problem for her.

The only problem is that she hasn't really asked her bridesmaid to find a solution for herself. I suggested that we find her a list of synagogues to give to the bridesmaid to call and ask them if they have someone help her out. She said that we need to solve this problem for her. My argument is that this woman is an adult and should try to figure this out for herself. Also, she thinks I am being insensitive and that I am not invested in having this particular bridesmaid come.

Has anyone encountered this before? Is there a solution?

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

It has occurred to me, that I will have to spend my wedding night in a tent because all of my mom's cousins will be coming over and will fill up the house.

I really don't want to spend the weekend in a tent, because I know I will not be able to get a good sleep, but I can't think of any other solutions.:/

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Nessa posted:

It has occurred to me, that I will have to spend my wedding night in a tent because all of my mom's cousins will be coming over and will fill up the house.

I really don't want to spend the weekend in a tent, because I know I will not be able to get a good sleep, but I can't think of any other solutions.:/

Is there a reason your mom's cousins can't sleep in a tent?

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Spiffo posted:

Is there a reason your mom's cousins can't sleep in a tent?

I don't know. They're all old and will be driving all the way out from Vancouver, so it only seems polite to let them sleep in the house, and it's mu uncle's place now anyway, so it's his decision who stays in the house.

I've been looking up trailers that we could rend for the weekend, but it looks like everything that's reasonably priced is already booked up.

Jinxie Monroe
Apr 9, 2007

No really.
Thank you.
I feel like asking someone to sleep on a cot/floor/air mattress so you can have a bed on your wedding night is pretty reasonable.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Why can't they stay in a hotel? I'm not usually for Bridezilla'ing it up, but if I was attending someone's wedding I'd sleep in the car before letting the bride or groom sleep in a drat tent.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
Is there a hotel you can put them up in? Or other friends of the family or something? Or your own friends you can crash with or something? Sleeping in a tent the night of your own wedding because the house is full is absurd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Jinxie Monroe posted:

I feel like asking someone to sleep on a cot/floor/air mattress so you can have a bed on your wedding night is pretty reasonable.

Yeah, cot or air mattress at the very least. I'm not sure why we're immediately jumping to a tent here.