Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Aphrodite posted:

In the new continuity I guess Wolverine doesn't get adamantium at all.
Maybe he just decides to go anyway so he doesn't screw up time more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

achillesforever6 posted:

Maybe he just decides to go anyway so he doesn't screw up time more.

He can't even do that because he doesn't become aware he even time traveled for like 30 years.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Aphrodite posted:

He can't even do that because he doesn't become aware he even time traveled for like 30 years.

Didn't Stryker capture him at the end of the film after he pulled him up from the river? Is there some other possible interpretation of that scene I'm missing or something?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
That was Mystique as Stryker, I thought.

However, with Apocalypse seemingly the focus of the next film, it's possible they'll look to using him as a way of putting the Adamantium (back) in Logan as they did with the comics several years ago. It seems like the film pushed that future Logan had his metal claws back, but that might have been something Magneto did for/to him in the future.

One thing that really struck me was how 'upbeat' the ending was, and part of me wonders if they're doing that to push the X-men as an openly 'superhero' group in future films ala The Avengers/Marvel Studios. They've had about half-dozen films of mutants in a world that hates and fears them, so would it be time to turn that around to have the X-Men/mutants existing as less a extremely opposed 'tolerated' community in the mainstream due to events in the film?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Dacap posted:

Sunspot. I wish they had figured out a way to do CG Kirby dots for him though
Uh...Sunspot doesn't light himself on fire. Or project fire.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

irlZaphod posted:

Technically, they're solar flares.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

irlZaphod posted:

Sometimes he has a fiery glow around him. He was sorta "black but with fire" in the movie:

Somewhat, at least. Compare Human Torch:

Well, they tried. It looked cool but I sure didn't identify him as Sunspot based on that visual either.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

Dude's got cute little solar flares coming off him.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Wait was that seriously supposed to be Sunspot? I genuinely just assumed it was Sunfine.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

irlZaphod posted:

Wait was that seriously supposed to be Sunspot? I genuinely just assumed it was Sunfine.

The main tip-off was that he was Mexican, not Japanese.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

XboxPants posted:

The main tip-off was that he was Mexican, not Japanese.
That's not much of a tip-off considering Sunspot is Brazilian.

Also he was barely on screen out of "costume" and I don't remember him having much in the way of lines.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

irlZaphod posted:

That's not much of a tip-off considering Sunspot is Brazilian.

Also he was barely on screen out of "costume" and I don't remember him having much in the way of lines.

To be honest I actually had no idea what ethnicity he was other than "not Asian" and had to look up his actor.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
After Ratner, I'll take "looks right, and mostly has the right powers" over "let's use a name from the comics, nerds won't care if they look, act or do anything like they do in the comics, right?". Bishop and Blink looked dead-on, and their powers worked pretty much as they're meant to. Blink even had her knife/crystal thingy she uses to throw her portals, and they made an appropriate sound.

As an Exiles fan, I'm sad she didn't get more lines, but I'll take it.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

After Ratner, I'll take "looks right, and mostly has the right powers" over "let's use a name from the comics, nerds won't care if they look, act or do anything like they do in the comics, right?". Bishop and Blink looked dead-on, and their powers worked pretty much as they're meant to. Blink even had her knife/crystal thingy she uses to throw her portals, and they made an appropriate sound.

Yeah pretty much all the future mutants were great IMO. Bishop was pretty cool overall but I did think his dumb gun thing was dumb. No problems with anyone of the other future-cast adaptations though. I mean yeah it doesn't make any sense for Kitty to have time travel powers but it allowed for lots of cool poo poo to happen and it's basically just inherently so over-the-top that it's fine for them to not even bother trying to explain it.

I mean I couldn' tell at all what Warpath's powers were just from the film (other than senses) but on the other hand, I also didn't care at all so that one worked itself out.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

If Kitty can phase physical matter through other physical matter, of course her secondary mutation would be to phase the mind (an intangible thing) through time (another intangible thing). I wonder if this will be incorporated into her comic book version, like Toad's powers.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

She's apparently in the sequel.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

They should have just gotten Colossus to send Wolverine's mind back.

"Wait, Piotr, you can turn your body into metal and you can phase minds back through time? How did we not know about it until now?"
"You never asked, tovarisch."

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

They should have just used Rachel Summers and explained her backstory, because it all would have made a ton more sense.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
^^^Th-that's a joke, right?

XboxPants posted:

Yeah pretty much all the future mutants were great IMO. Bishop was pretty cool overall but I did think his dumb gun thing was dumb. No problems with anyone of the other future-cast adaptations though. I mean yeah it doesn't make any sense for Kitty to have time travel powers but it allowed for lots of cool poo poo to happen and it's basically just inherently so over-the-top that it's fine for them to not even bother trying to explain it.

I mean I couldn' tell at all what Warpath's powers were just from the film (other than senses) but on the other hand, I also didn't care at all so that one worked itself out.

Warpath was a little cringe-worthy, in that his powers seemed to be Super-Native-Americanness. He can see and track real good! He has knives!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

irlZaphod posted:

They should have just used Rachel Summers and explained her backstory, because it all would have made a ton more sense.

Both her parents are well dead in the movie timeline. Also Rachel Summers backstory is probably the most confusing backstory of all.

Gaz-L posted:

Warpath was a little cringe-worthy, in that his powers seemed to be Super-Native-Americanness.

So, pretty much like the comics then.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I was cool with Kitty's new powers because Rachel Summers suuuuuuuuucks.

exit: actually I though she was pretty cool in Rise And Fall of the Shi'ar Empire, but I'm the last living human who likes that story arc.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
We all know it should have been Sage

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

Warpath was a little cringe-worthy, in that his powers seemed to be Super-Native-Americanness. He can see and track real good! He has knives!

It can only go uphill after Darwin. Maybe they will get Forge for the next one.
To think of it, the future team in DOFP was exemplary Multicultural Claremontian Team.

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 15:01 on May 27, 2014

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Lobok posted:

They should have just gotten Colossus to send Wolverine's mind back.

"Wait, Piotr, you can turn your body into metal and you can phase minds back through time? How did we not know about it until now?"
"You never asked, tovarisch."

It is simple, tovarich. I simply grab you and spin you around so fast you go faster than light and then let go at the right time, throwing you through time.

This explains why Logan is the only one who can take the stress of faster than light centrifugal force.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
What kind of odds can we get on an X-base in Australia along with a Gateway appearance?

EDIT: Oh! And a table with everyone's face on it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kingtheninja posted:

What kind of odds can we get on an X-base in Australia along with a Gateway appearance?

EDIT: Oh! And a table with everyone's face on it.

Fox can have a movie with Gateway while Marvel can do one with Manifold. Really confuse people at home.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

I will say I still really enjoy Hugh Jackman's brusque portrayal of Wolverine. Most of the stuff he's been in as that character has been terrible, and he's a foot too tall, but the way he throws out lines like "Aren't you gonna pick that poo poo up?" is great.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
The more Jackman gravitates away from loner troubled badass and closer to grumpy dad of the group, the better.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I was pleasantly surprised that Wolverine didn't steal the focus from the rest of the cast. In fact, he's basically just another member of the team and I can't believe he wasn't the one to save the day in the end.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

irlZaphod posted:

What is rachel summers. What is her backstory

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rita Repulsa posted:

What is rachel summers. What is her backstory

She is Jean and Scotts daughter from the Days of the future past future. She traveled back in time and joined the x-men. However, in the future she was brainwashed into hunting other mutants, and she was also possessed by the Phoenix. Also at some point she traveled again into the future to raise her half brother Cable (his mother was a clone of Jean)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The movie made the right call using Kitty and her here-to-fore limited time-mind phasing. Bringing in any new character or device just raises more questions than answers.

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!

JediTalentAgent posted:

That was Mystique as Stryker, I thought.

Yeah, it was. And it made no sense. If it was just Stryker, it solves all the questions of how Wolverine would get his metal, etc. Instead, they went out of their way to create weird continuity/temporal problems for absolutely no reason at all.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There's no loving way Wolverine doesn't have an adamantium skeleton next time we see him. Weapon X is one of the defining parts of his character, it'd be like Cyclops suddenly able to control his eyeblasts.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Jagermonster posted:

Yeah, it was. And it made no sense. If it was just Stryker, it solves all the questions of how Wolverine would get his metal, etc. Instead, they went out of their way to create weird continuity/temporal problems for absolutely no reason at all.

They just want to make the movies more like the comics.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

SlimGoodbody posted:

They just want to make the movies more like the comics.

That basically sums up DOFP in general, I think.

I liked it, but seriously the whole thing is a classic comic book reboot storyline the likes of which I don't think movies have ever seen and it's hilarious that not only did they try it, but that it worked so well.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Lobok posted:

The movie made the right call using Kitty and her here-to-fore limited time-mind phasing. Bringing in any new character or device just raises more questions than answers.

There so little development with the anyone that isn't Mystique, Xavier, Magneto and Logan, especially with the future mutants. I still think just using Illyana as a replacement Kitty makes a bit more sense with her powers, though, since she's been shown to have time travel + teleportation powers. Either that or use a future Rogue that had become a repository of mutant powers she's absorbed through the years, giving her a unique combination of powers to pull off a time-traveling mind stunt that no one else could seems as simple enough explanation as Kitty's brainphasing.

The actress that plays Rogue is more popular to the franchise than the one that played Kitty, and it's keeping with the idea of her power set a bit more, too. It also sort of keeps the theme of Logan/Rogue BFFs that the previous 2 Singer films sort of helped build for them and showing a continuation of the Bobby/Rogue relationship that the three previous films as a whole built up.

Of course, Paquin might not have wanted to come back for a large supporting part in DoFP and was just content with a small cameo that nearly got cut, anyway. Magik might not have worked even if you replaced Blink with her as it would have put her in more a combat role when she needed to be stashed away in a protected area during the fight.

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!

zoux posted:

There's no loving way Wolverine doesn't have an adamantium skeleton next time we see him. Weapon X is one of the defining parts of his character, it'd be like Cyclops suddenly able to control his eyeblasts.

Yeah that's my point - he will definitely have his adamantium next time we see him so the whole Stryker twist will make nerds (me) scratch their heads and complain that it doesn't make sense. Why couldn't Stryker just have found him?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

JediTalentAgent posted:

There so little development with the anyone that isn't Mystique, Xavier, Magneto and Logan, especially with the future mutants. I still think just using Illyana as a replacement Kitty makes a bit more sense with her powers, though, since she's been shown to have time travel + teleportation powers. Either that or use a future Rogue that had become a repository of mutant powers she's absorbed through the years, giving her a unique combination of powers to pull off a time-traveling mind stunt that no one else could seems as simple enough explanation as Kitty's brainphasing.

The actress that plays Rogue is more popular to the franchise than the one that played Kitty, and it's keeping with the idea of her power set a bit more, too. It also sort of keeps the theme of Logan/Rogue BFFs that the previous 2 Singer films sort of helped build for them and showing a continuation of the Bobby/Rogue relationship that the three previous films as a whole built up.

Of course, Paquin might not have wanted to come back for a large supporting part in DoFP and was just content with a small cameo that nearly got cut, anyway. Magik might not have worked even if you replaced Blink with her as it would have put her in more a combat role when she needed to be stashed away in a protected area during the fight.

I think you may be overthinking this and that still doesn't solve the problem of "90% of the people coming to see this have never read a comic book in their lives so do we want to spend a whole bunch of time introducing a character none of them have ever seen or do we just wanna have Kitty Pryde, played by bankable actress Ellen page, do it?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

JediTalentAgent posted:

It was more that Kitty was the person sent back in time in the comic. Also Ellen Page is a bigger name now than Anna Paquin.

• Locked thread