Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Get hosed, Kisenosato. Took the supposed match of the day and poo poo all over it. I want my 60 seconds back.

Hakuho wtf was that. Is keeping Kakuryu in the race worth dickwaving your Mongol pride and screwing the guy who so happened to beat you fair and square the prior day?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Mary Annette posted:

Nothing makes my day quite like watching Kisenosato choke.

Nothing.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Diplomat posted:

Osunaarashi :frogc00l:

Pretty much this.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Funkysauce posted:

Agreed. If I was Goeido I'd have lost my poo poo. Mongolian conspiracy!

It looks like Goeido was going for another head push, grabbed the hair, realized it was hair, and let go before applying any force.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
If you watch the last replay from the side angle you can actually see the hairpull starts at the beginning of the move so it's a fair foul to call.

http://youtu.be/I3qqfSK6xSk?t=14m36s

Flayer fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 22, 2014

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Down in Makushita, Tochinoshin, on his return from injury tour of the lower divisions, only needs to beat Ms48 Akua tomorrow to go 7-0 and secure a good placement in Juryo next time round

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Flayer posted:

If you watch the last replay from the side angle you can actually see the hairpull starts at the beginning of the move so it's a fair foul to call.

http://youtu.be/I3qqfSK6xSk?t=14m36s

Well drat.
Dumb move on his part.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
So now that's two things I've learned this basho: they can start early if they want, and Hakuho is an epic troll.

Mister Twister
Oct 22, 2010

dupersaurus posted:

So now that's two things I've learned this basho: they can start early if they want, and Hakuho is an epic troll.

Hakuhuo's placement before poo poo goes down gives off an aura of confidence, Kiesenosato really shat himself in the latest match, but Hakuhuo knows how to play his opponents.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
If it wasn't a hairpull they wouldn't have called it so after the monoii, so don't get so put off by Hakuho owning the poo poo out of Goeido.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Nobody is going to point out Arawashi obviously stepping out and getting awarded the win? Am I missing something obvious here?

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I'd just like to point out to people that we live in a privileged time wherein we get to see Hakuho destroy on a regular basis. And then every couple of tournaments we get to see someone upset that to our enjoyment. It's like seeing Michael Jordan in his twilight years except instead of playing on the Wizards and not making the playoffs, he's still winning championships regularly. Sometimes the Sonics win or the Jazz win but most of the time it's Jordan. Seriously, watching Hakuho is so great. I'm so bummed out I couldn't get tickets to this tournament.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 13: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXhOnFg1yLk

Evidently Endo's weakness is bound hair.

Is it a henka attempt when you go get an overhand grip on the mawashi before the sidestep like what Harumafuji did?

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
I believe the technical definition of a henka is when a rikishi fails to make contact with their opponent. Slamming into them and then sidestepping is not a henka. I'm honestly not sure about Harumafuji. I'd say no, but even if he did, Kakuryuu totally deserved it.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Day 14 Matchups:

Hakuho (12-1) - Kakuryu
Harumafuji (11-2) - Kisenosato (11-2)
Ikioi (11-2) - Goeido

Day 15 Probables:

Hakuho - Harumafuji
Kisenosato - Kakuryu
Ikioi - Tochiozan

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?
This has been a hell of a ride. That's all I can say.

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

This is the first basho I've followed from the beginning "live" and I'm probably going to be disappointed with everything else now.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Day 14: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71CfSd37FYs.

Harumafuji :argh:

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Haha now Kisenosato is on a Yokozuna run

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Uncle Jam posted:

Haha now Kisenosato is on a Yokozuna run

Except he'd need an outright yusho next time and instead will go 8-7 with the pressure on. And would it count as a jun-yusho if there were 1 or 2 others that were also runner-ups?

Harumafuji looks much stronger than Hakuho right now, so there's a decent chance we'll see a playoff tomorrow. Here's hoping.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 15: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7IWv7I5ZnQ

I'll jump on the Ichinojo bandwagon while it's still early.

Kakuryu-Kisenosato was the poo poo.

Tochinoshin back in juryo, looks like.

Hope Osunaarashi can heal up that heel quickly.

Fighting spirit prize for Sadanomi was well-earned.

Terunofuji :staredog:

And Hakuho uses Harumafuji's mawashi grab-sidestep move to take the basho.

anakha fucked around with this message at 13:40 on May 25, 2014

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Isn't next Basho during Ramadan? I know Osunaarashi observes it, though it seems he's had so much momentum early in the past two Bashos that I'd hate another injury/fasting kill it in July

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Isn't next Basho during Ramadan? I know Osunaarashi observes it, though it seems he's had so much momentum early in the past two Bashos that I'd hate another injury/fasting kill it in July

Did this really need spoiler tags?

Anyhow, they don't starve themselves for a month. There are still small meals (with some other stipulations attached sometimes) according to the wiki. While he won't be at 100%, the short duration of a sumo bout shouldn't be too affected by it. Most people's ideas of "player performance suffering during ramadan" stems from professional players in sports where a strong Cardio base is required.

Short duration should only really be drawing on muscle glycogen blah blah blah ATP Phosphate system etc etc

Basically he's fine.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Gibbo posted:

Did this really need spoiler tags?

That's when we know we've taken this spoiler thing too far. I've lost track of when we ended up down this rabbit hole of still having spoilers several posts after the link to the day's recap.

Seriously, let's just nix the spoilers aside from comments made in the same post as the daily video's url. You'd have to try really hard or read even faster and more peripherally than me to spoil the results if you're coming to the thread just for the link. I get poo poo spoiled all the time for other sports or for TV shows while scrolling through FB or news sites and it's my own drat fault, but it has never happened from this thread.

Anyways, another exciting basho ending with an anti-climactic yusho for probably the best rikishi of all time. Thrilled for my favorites, Homasho and Ikioi, having an outstanding basho, as well as Oosunaarashi and Endo establishing themselves as solid upper maegashira (for now). Goony favorite Tochinoshin is back in Juryo finally, squaring off with exciting Mongolian giant Ichinojo in July on their way up to makuuchi. Kotoshogiku, minus the protection of not having to wrestle fellow stablemate Kotooshu, is rapidly falling apart and will be on suicide watch next basho. Stay tuned.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Does anyone in this thread play any sumo games? (Bench, Sumo Game, Fantasy Sumo etc)

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
What an incredibly impressive yusho for Hakuho. Dude just won a basho while not being able to grip with his right hand, un-loving-real.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Has anyone gone to watch morning practice at a stable/regional dorm? We're gonna miss the Nagoya tournament by 1 day (we leave early on Sunday 7/13) :cry: My husband is interested in anyone/Hakuho so I was thinking Miyagino-beya but how likely is it he'd get to see a match at all?

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Hakuho is so great he can win a yusho without having to bring his A game. One particular stat that stands out it that he simply does not lose to inferior opponents, his record during the first seven days of a basho as a Yokozuna is 283-11. Everyone else has a good chance of dropping at least one match early, so they are behind when it comes time for the top competition to face each other. Coming back in that situation requires a wrestler to be both very good and very lucky, otherwise there is absolutely no way they can make up the deficit.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

peanut posted:

Has anyone gone to watch morning practice at a stable/regional dorm? We're gonna miss the Nagoya tournament by 1 day (we leave early on Sunday 7/13) :cry: My husband is interested in anyone/Hakuho so I was thinking Miyagino-beya but how likely is it he'd get to see a match at all?

I think the supporters get first dibs, but its probably possible. Its a good question for the people at sumoforums dot net. They routinely get themselves into the emperor cup banzai photos so they should know.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

peanut posted:

I believe Sadogatake beya is pretty easy to visit if you're in the Tokyo area. Big and popular with tourists. That's Kotoshogiku's beya and Kotooshu's, but I dunno if the latter is still there. Miyagino is pretty small and Hakuho is a walking god, so that would be tough.

For a yokozuna, Isegahama might be a little easier. Harumafuji and Aminishiki. I've seen video of training there, so I know it's been done before.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Konstantin posted:

Hakuho is so great he can win a yusho without having to bring his A game. One particular stat that stands out it that he simply does not lose to inferior opponents, his record during the first seven days of a basho as a Yokozuna is 283-11. Everyone else has a good chance of dropping at least one match early, so they are behind when it comes time for the top competition to face each other. Coming back in that situation requires a wrestler to be both very good and very lucky, otherwise there is absolutely no way they can make up the deficit.

Seriously, I'm such a fanboy it hurts. Peep this poo poo

Hakuho
- has an 84.9% win rate in Makuuchi (best in the modern era)
- has an 89.6% win rate as a Yokozuna
- won seven of the last ten bashos and 26/41 since being named Yokozuna
- the last time he didn't win at least ten matches in a tournament? 2006
- is ninth all-time in wins, could be top five within five bashos (depends on Wakanosato and Kyokutenho, both of whom are ahead of him but nearing retirement)
- is already fifth in wins in Makuuchi, will be #4 with his first two wins next basho
- is the 69th Yokozuna ;)

Is it bad I want to make plans to visit Japan in late 2015 just to see real live sumo? Not sure how the future wife would take that one

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Omnikin posted:

Is it bad I want to make plans to visit Japan in late 2015 just to see real live sumo? Not sure how the future wife would take that one

Not at all. Do it. If you enjoy sumo, do it. If you don't, do it anyway. It is a spectacle to behold. I'm lucky enough to have a connection that can get me 3rd row seats whenever I can afford to make it to Japan. I've had a rikishi or two in my lap over the years. Even from my time in the cheap seats, the atmosphere in the arena when Makuuchi bouts are happening is just sensational. Sure, being close is way better, but being there at all massively beats not going.

I get to go once every 18 months or so and my only regret is not going more often.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Pvt. Public posted:

Not at all. Do it. If you enjoy sumo, do it. If you don't, do it anyway. It is a spectacle to behold. I'm lucky enough to have a connection that can get me 3rd row seats whenever I can afford to make it to Japan. I've had a rikishi or two in my lap over the years. Even from my time in the cheap seats, the atmosphere in the arena when Makuuchi bouts are happening is just sensational. Sure, being close is way better, but being there at all massively beats not going.

I get to go once every 18 months or so and my only regret is not going more often.

How do you sit in the closer sections without your feet falling asleep?

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?

Uncle Jam posted:

Yeah, seiza kills me in like 2 minutes, my knees are in shambles. I don't know how people sit like that. I'd have to go cross-legged then walk around or something.

I'd like to see live sumo one day as well. Is it a "one-ticket-all day" type thing? Or do you need tickets for each tier of competition?

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Uncle Jam posted:

They just do. I am not small, either, at 6'5" and just shy of 300 with bad knees. I suffer through it because it is worth it to me. I do go to the entire days as well, so for the most part I can stretch out a bit and no one cares. The later in the day it gets, though, they harder it is. I've just become used to it at this point and do what I can to keep myself as comfortable as possible. Plus, since I am huge, others in the section tend to give me a wide berth and are extra polite. I also tend to dress quite nice so they probably assume I am a businessman or something. I guess I've never really thought about it.

Funkysauce posted:

Yeah, seiza kills me in like 2 minutes, my knees are in shambles. I don't know how people sit like that. I'd have to go cross-legged then walk around or something.

I'd like to see live sumo one day as well. Is it a "one-ticket-all day" type thing? Or do you need tickets for each tier of competition?

I guess since I sit that way at home a lot (from years of living in Japan in a traditional house in a small town), my body isn't as brutalized by it as other Westerners would be. Also, the tickets I get are per-day, for the whole day. I'm sure if you wanted to buy a package for the whole tournament, you could, but I've never done that. My tickets just sort of happen to be there when I need them.

Pvt. Public fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 28, 2014

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
One thing that nobody seemed to notice is that Tochiozan has met the 30 wins in 3 bashos rule to be considered for promotion to Ozeki. With Kotoshogoku looking to be on his way out, do you think he'll get the promotion this time around, or will he need one more great performance? When are these decisions typically made?

Konstantin fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 28, 2014

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

It may be 30 wins as Sekiwake, not sure though. The Sumo Association kinda does whatever they want anyhow (Kisenosato's Yokozuna run and Kakuryu's promotion) and they need someone to replace Giku when he retires.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I'd imagine it's supposed to be 30 from 3 at Sekiwake, the 11-4 two basho ago was at Komusubi. It does mean he now has about the same chance of promotion next time as Goeido, although on paper Goeido only needs 10 wins (again) next time compared to Tochiozan. Good one to watch, certainly. They could both do it, of course.

On another note, the various Chiyos' suspiciously good performances in March look even more suspicious now they've all had make-koshis.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

According to the wiki, Hakuho was promoted to Ozeki in 2006 after only two basho at Sekiwake, so it's happened before.

Although in fairness, two 13-2 basho at Sekiwake might have been the bigger reason Hakuho was promoted instead of the 30-win average over three basho requirement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I think I screwed up and was spreading misinformation before about the 30 wins, but in reality its 33 wins for Ozeki promotion.
If somebody beat a lot of yokozuna during a sub 33 win run he might go up anyway though.

Sorry about that.

However I don't think it matters much if 1 or 2 basho is at Komusubi because you end up fighting the exact same set of ranks anyway.