Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

a worthy uhh posted:

What stores did you hit? Philly is a great vinyl town.. I might be bit biased though.

Long in the Tooth, AKA, and Noise Pollution are the only names I remember, but there were tons around considering I wasn't even looking for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
Beautiful World Syndicate is also great if you feel like digging through their new arrivals. 99% dollar bin stuff but everytime I find something good for reasonable prices.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
one time i got a porter ricks 12" in philadelphia

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
it was reasonably priced as well

Wronkos
Jan 1, 2011

What's the worst store you guys have been to? I remember going to this hole-in-the-wall in San Antonio that left its door open at all times during the summer, so flies were literally escaping from the dusty smooth jazz bins.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
I'm sure there's a place like this in every town, but one of the shops in my old city used to overprice things to the degree that I'd often find myself balking and leaving their spot. They refused to look up any prices and just spitballed something based on how many times something came through their door. 60 dollar copies of Unknown Pleasures in terrible shape and 30 bucks for a copy of Desire in shity condition. Thankfully, I always got deals on hiphop poo poo because they had no clue what they had. It was really sad to see the dudes who never shopped anywhere else getting gouged.

The only employee that knew about discogs/popsyke/whatever was a spergy rear end in a top hat who would poo poo on you for asking for something he thought was uncool.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
plan 9 in richmond

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Wronkos posted:

What's the worst store you guys have been to? I remember going to this hole-in-the-wall in San Antonio that left its door open at all times during the summer, so flies were literally escaping from the dusty smooth jazz bins.

Shooting Star Records in Carpentersville, Illinois. It wasn't a bad store, but the guy who ran it was the prototypical "lazy record store guy" who didn't realize that yes, owning a record store is like having any other job. You don't get to just hang out and talk about music all day.

He was constantly closing the shop for 2+ hours for "lunch". It seemed like the store was closed every single time I stopped by, regardless of it was noon or 3 p.m.

I eventually stopped going, and everyone else must have too because they went out of business shortly after.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

There was a techno record store in NYC a long time back, can't remember the name, but it was incredibly hard to find anything because it was all white labels with little indecipherable notes scrawled on them. It seemed like the customers were all djs who knew the owner who would have put stuff aside for them. I just wanted some obscure minimal Justin Broadrick 12"s I couldn't find anywhere else and it took me a bunch of visits to get a couple of them.

Ok maybe it was a cool record store that I wasn't cool enough to navigate.

Wronkos
Jan 1, 2011

Snowy posted:

There was a techno record store in NYC a long time back, can't remember the name, but it was incredibly hard to find anything because it was all white labels with little indecipherable notes scrawled on them.

I wish Houston had a place that specialized in electronic music. I plan on visiting Germany within the next few years, so I'll stop by Hard Wax in Berlin to splurge on everything techno.

answersyouseek
Aug 19, 2003

No Moderation

stay depressed posted:

plan 9 in richmond

That's not even the worst store in Richmond.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Snowy posted:

Pretty good day for street purchases. I got ten $1 records at a stoop sale. Mostly techno/electronic/whatever with some corny house in there, oh well. I was just taking some chances on cheap vinyl.

Acme-Crystal Clear-no label?-1994. I like this one a lot so far! It will be great for when I'm raving my face off at home, which happens never.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mz3cEIwW9LQ

Audion-Just loving- Ghostly Intermational 2005

Roman Flugel-Geht's Noch-Cocoon Recordings 2004

Acronym City-Powermoves Test Press- Sub Freq Recordings 1996

Thomas Schumacher-Ficken?-Bush Music 1996

Eureeka! Presents Mental Lockdown- DJAX UP BEATS 1995

And on the corny side imo,these two house records
Green Velvet-The Bathroom-Relief Records 2005

Cajmere-Testified-Powered-Gem 2004

And for variety, Prodigy from Mobb Deep-Young Black Entrepreneurs-Loud 2000

e- I need to find a better way to post pictures from my phone, those are huge.

Extremely jealous of this pick up. Would love to be able to find dollar bins filled with old techno, house, etc from way back.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

answersyouseek posted:

That's not even the worst store in Richmond.

everything in richmond is bad i agree

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

urban outfitters is the worst record store

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
But they sell crosley players to make sure any records they sell are quickly destroyed

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

stay depressed posted:

plan 9 in richmond

Which is a shame, because about 10, 15 years ago it was probably the BEST store in Richmond.

Edit: I haven't run into any overall bad stores in Tampa-St. Pete, I mostly go between Bananas Music and Daddy Kool Records. I will say they both have pretty disappointing hip hop selections overall, and I've struggled finding any place that covers them pretty well down here.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 27, 2014

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
There was this store in the Rockaway Mall in New Jersey called Compact Discounts. The owner decided to try to get into records, and did a piss poor job. Basically, it was a used Record and CD shop, except the guy basically took everything that came in through his door. That's where you would get 80s compilations of gospel and praise music, 20 copies of the same Chicago album, and the She's the Man soundtrack album. The best was a copy of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road for 25 bucks with no cover. Most of this poo poo was over five bucks. The CD selection was no better. If you wanted Yanni, he go you covered, but if you wanted something like Green Day, too bad.

The store didn't last long.

Scottis also used to be good, but went pretty bad before they shut down. I stopped shopping there after they wouldn't give me a refund for selling me a scratched to poo poo Modest Mouse 45, which was pretty expensive to begin with. I went in there a few months later, and saw they had a massively water-damaged copy of "Axis: Bold as Love" for five bucks less than the remastered copy. And if you heard the remastered vinyl, you know that it's a really great pressing and totally worth getting.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

In other news I picked this up today (maybe NWS for pastry vag). Still in its original shrinkwrap, probably because nobody buys this to listen to the album.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Dogen posted:

But they sell crosley players to make sure any records they sell are quickly destroyed

That's just a good way to ensure repeat business.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

What do I do about those really upsetting jackets that are really billowy and don't close properly. This new HANL record I got looks like a tube. Please, this is the worst part of buying records.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

CPL593H posted:

That's just a good way to ensure repeat business.

I mean I was looking at it from the public service perspective of anything anyone bought at an urban outfitters being objectively terrible and worthy of destruction, but sure

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

WASDF posted:

What do I do about those really upsetting jackets that are really billowy and don't close properly. This new HANL record I got looks like a tube. Please, this is the worst part of buying records.

Put it in a plastic sleeve or just leave it between your other records for a while.

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Ballz posted:

In other news I picked this up today (maybe NWS for pastry vag). Still in its original shrinkwrap, probably because nobody buys this to listen to the album.

:wom:

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

WASDF posted:

I've said it before, I'll say it again, store the records outside the jacket but inside the sleeve! It's the best way to store records! The only advantages to not doing this is saving some space (and if you're collecting vinyl, come on, space isn't your #1 priority) and being able to see the back of the jacket without taking it out of the sleeve.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

kirkjames posted:

I've said it before, I'll say it again, store the records outside the jacket but inside the sleeve! It's the best way to store records! The only advantages to not doing this is saving some space (and if you're collecting vinyl, come on, space isn't your #1 priority) and being able to see the back of the jacket without taking it out of the sleeve.

It's probably not a rational fear but storing records without that layer of cardboard around it makes me fearful of strikes/gouges.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

kirkjames posted:

Whats the benefit of that?

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Yeah I don't get it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

It's supposed to prevent ring wear on the album covers. But I've found that the plastic sleeves themselves do a fine job of preventing that. Plus it really only happens with records you're sliding in and out from tightly packed records very often.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
It helps a poo poo ton if you have an already damaged jacket. Close to zero wear and tear.

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

It prevents ringwear from ever happening, it's SUPER easy to just pull out a record and play it without having to pull the jacket out, and unless I wanna check the jacket art out I basically never get a chance to mess up the jacket. you basically can keep the jacket nice and crisp plus can conveniently access the records.

it's some borderline autistic poo poo to stress about this stuff but I see no downside to keeping all my jackets nice and minty.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I like my records looking all used and stuff.

See also, guitars.

Ringwear is sexy.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dissapointed Owl posted:

See also, guitars.

Ringwear is sexy.

Yeah if you don't wear the ring the photo is ruined.

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

Dissapointed Owl posted:

See also, guitars.

Ringwear is sexy.

How you store your Jurassic Park soundtracks and JC Penny scores is totally up to you, I just store my records this way because A. it's easier to get them out B. if and when I decide to sell/pass on any of these records, they will be in great shape. I'd like to think I could potentially recoup at least a decent percentage of what I've blown on records if I keep them in good shape.

It's been a slow week but I got a couple things:

Dropdead - first LP, just some newer repress
Wayfaring Strangers Numero Comp, which is highly recommended for anyone interested in early proto-metal stuff. D&D playing dorks making bluesy Zep/Sabbath worship in the very early days of heavy metal, somewhat proggy, a little psych, super interesting. Tons of info on the bands on the booklet inside, which is good because these cuts are about obscure as it gets.

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.
If any of y'all dig punk, proto-punk and power pop/glam, there's an eBay seller with some great BIN prices on some excellent Radio Heartbeat reissues like Crushed Butler (killer proto-punk), Hubble Bubble (awesome "fake punk"), Raxola (solid Belgian punk), The Quick (good power pop), and Milk 'n' Cookies (rather effete power pop/glam). Many are a mere $9, which is much cheaper than buying from the label, and the seller combines shipping. I happen to own all of the aforementioned titles, and I dig 'em all. Here are a few samples:

Crushed Butler - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugo7ai-CgTs

Hubble Bubble - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FkjOOi9wMw

Raxola - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVqSzPcG2kY

The Quick - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6L4WSTICRo

Milk 'n' Cookies - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMZPYfg9qHk

I'm thinking that the Crushed Butler in particular isn't likely to last all that long; one copy has already sold, and it's only been listed for a couple hours.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Is there a recommended facing for the opening of an plastic outer sleeve? Or am I being too autistic about this

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES

Dr. Lenin posted:

too autistic about this

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
drat, I knew it.

*spends 3 hours making tiny adjustments on equalizer*

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I don't even understand what we're being told to do with our records here. Outside the jacket but inside the sleeve? So we've got an empty jacket, and then the record in its sleeve, then the next jacket, and then the next sleeve with record? This seems like a good way to end up with hosed up sleeves. Or with accidentally putting a jacket back on the wrong side of a record and loving everything up.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
when will stores start selling "reliced" records? don't want people to think you just got your reissue of Who's Next. scrape the sleeve against some extra fine tone sand paper - those split seams reall helping the sound come out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

Allen Wren posted:

I don't even understand what we're being told to do with our records here. Outside the jacket but inside the sleeve? So we've got an empty jacket, and then the record in its sleeve, then the next jacket, and then the next sleeve with record? This seems like a good way to end up with hosed up sleeves. Or with accidentally putting a jacket back on the wrong side of a record and loving everything up.

Both the jacket and record (in sleeve, behind jacket) are placed together in a polysleeve. I store my poo poo this way and find it a lot easier than mucking around with getting record in/out of jackets and possibly exacerbating any seam splits, etc. Absolutely necessary when dealing with fragile JA/BR/African sleeves and thin euro poo poo (I actually store some of these w/ the record in a blank 12" jacket). So once a record is on the shelf the jacket basically never leaves the polysleeve.

Fors Yard posted:

when will stores start selling "reliced" records? don't want people to think you just got your reissue of Who's Next. scrape the sleeve against some extra fine tone sand paper - those split seams reall helping the sound come out

I have seen one guy beat the poo poo out of some afrobeat reissues and try to pawn them off as OG. Same w/ a bunch of soul and funk 45 boots.