Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Alligator Horse posted:

What do you think of the speculation that has been made in e.g. The WaPo that--especially since there were more "sensible" ways to shuffle his cabinet--, Obama is trying to move Donovan into his inner circle as a way of using the Executive to carry out programs he expects he'll be unable to get to legislatively?

Doesn't it seem like the whole thing is geared primarily towards buffing Castro's credentials for national politics during a time when it still seems like a long shot for a Democrat to win statewide office in Texas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Zwabu posted:

Doesn't it seem like the whole thing is geared primarily towards buffing Castro's credentials for national politics during a time when it still seems like a long shot for a Democrat to win statewide office in Texas?

That's been my feeling on it. Which isn't to say that Castro isn't possibly a good choice or that he won't do a good job, just that yeah, he has been tapped by the national party and for probably another decade at least there's only so much opportunity in Texas for a democrat when it comes to elected offices.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Having a Texan on the ticket might help shift Texas blue in the presidential election, which is pretty much an automatic win for a Democratic ticket assuming they don't alienate California or something.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

FAUXTON posted:

Having a Texan on the ticket might help shift Texas blue in the presidential election, which is pretty much an automatic win for a Democratic ticket assuming they don't alienate California or something.
I'm not sure anything could pull Texas into the D column in a Presidential race... quite yet. Give it ten years.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

JT Jag posted:

I'm not sure anything could pull Texas into the D column in a Presidential race... quite yet. Give it ten years.

Of course, the same sort of vague rhetoric was employed for "can we have a black president". I think it could happen, though I agree it's still unlikely for a while. And having a candidate lose his home state would not be good in a presidential race.

empty whippet box fucked around with this message at 20:16 on May 26, 2014

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Warchicken posted:

And having a candidate lose his home state would not be good in a presidential race.

Bush lost Connecticut both times.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Joementum posted:

Bush lost Connecticut both times.

Yeah it's not a win/lose not good but it's still not good.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Warchicken posted:

Yeah it's not a win/lose not good but it's still not good.

Not sure what if any negative consequences would flow from it, national attitudes towards the parties are pretty baked in. I don't think there is any candidate in America right now who could make an uncompetitive state competitive.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Christie would make NJ competitive. Ditto Schweitzer (at the top of the ticket) and Montana.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

It isn't really about turning uncompetitive states into competitive ones, so much as making competitive states into potential locks. For instance, Jeb Bush would in all likelihood turn Florida, a purple state in presidential elections, into a solid red state.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Looks like Republican obstinacy at doing anything for the VA is coming to bite them in the rear end.

Veterans Groups Lash Out at Republican Senator

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/27/us/veterans-groups-lash-out-at-republican-senator.html

quote:

WASHINGTON — An “open letter” from a senior Republican senator to the nation’s veterans in which he castigates the leadership of veterans organizations has prompted a brutal war of words over the Memorial Day weekend, including a promise from the Veterans of Foreign Wars that its “hat in hand” approach to Congress will turn more combative.

The open letter from Senator Richard M. Burr of North Carolina, the ranking Republican on the Senate Veterans Affairs Committee — and the groups’ responses — pushed that conflict into the open. Mr. Burr, angry that only the American Legion has called for the resignation of Veterans Affairs Secretary Eric Shinseki, accused the groups of being “more interested in defending the status quo within the V.A., protecting their relationships with the agency, and securing access to the secretary and his inner circle,” than helping members.

The Veterans of Foreign Wars, the Disabled American Veterans and the Paralyzed Veterans of America hit back hard.

“For years, the V.F.W. has come to Congress with hat in hand, and for years we’ve heard the same old story,” the heads of the veterans groups wrote to Mr. Burr. “You can be assured, Senator, that you’ve done a superb job showing us the error in our ways. You can also be assured that in the future, we will spend a substantial percentage of our time seeking to inform our members and our constituents of the repeated failure to act by our elected officials.”

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I'm so glad the GOP has moved over to the VA mess from Ben G. Hazi because even their own constituents won't ignore the Republican part in it.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It'd be great if people would realize that the republicans are the party that supports our troops(' right to go gently caress themselves).

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Joementum posted:

Christie would make NJ competitive. Ditto Schweitzer (at the top of the ticket) and Montana.

That's a theory but I kind of doubt it would work out that way in practice. Paul Ryan didn't move Wisconsin an inch.

Edit: in the latest poll I could find Christie is down 10 points in NJ to Clinton, and this before he spends two years trying to out crazy Rick Santorum. I do think him getting in the race would be enough to convince the GOP to give NJ one more chance, which will be pretty funny given how much money they wasted there in the last few cycles. Schweitzer or a similar small state Governor would be an interesting experiment to see if the favourite son effect still has any validity, but it isn't one I expect to be carried out any time soon.

DynamicSloth fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 27, 2014

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

DynamicSloth posted:

That's a theory but I kind of doubt it would work out that way in practice. Paul Ryan didn't move Wisconsin an inch.

paul ryan was veep, and that poll was at the height of bridgegate

i dont think anyone really cares about christie being a meanface in nj at the moment.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Is this VA thing something that will finally bring the republican starve-the-beast-slash-the-taxes bullshit to light for what it is? (I should just choose a drink now, right?)

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

SumYungGui posted:

Is this VA thing something that will finally bring the republican starve-the-beast-slash-the-taxes bullshit to light for what it is? (I should just choose a drink now, right?)

The Manhattan is the best whiskey cocktail yet known.

v Ooh, I need to try this sometime.

Hedera Helix fucked around with this message at 03:11 on May 27, 2014

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Hedera Helix posted:

The Manhattan is the best whiskey cocktail yet known.

Good with rum if that's what you have, too.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

According to my conservative mother-in-law the biggest issue with the VA thing is that Obama's apology didn't sound very genuine and that he probably does really care that much.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

FCKGW posted:

According to my conservative mother-in-law the biggest issue with the VA thing is that Obama's apology didn't sound very genuine and that he probably does really care that much.

This usually translates to "no, no, you're maintaining dignity and I wanted to see you grovel :smug:"

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Make a 9/11. It's a Manhattan (without ice) that you set on fire. It's Guiliani's favorite drink.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

Shbobdb posted:

Make a 9/11. It's a Manhattan (without ice) that you set on fire. It's Guiliani's favorite drink.

This requires a liquor high enough in proof that it should disqualify the drinker :colbert:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

mooyashi posted:

This requires a liquor high enough in proof that it should disqualify the drinker :colbert:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cask_strength

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

loquacius posted:

This usually translates to "no, no, you're maintaining dignity and I wanted to see you grovel :smug:"
And if he does that it's below the dignity of the office of the President, it's a no-win game

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Joementum posted:

Christie would make NJ competitive.

How can you say this seriously since the bridge scandal and all that has followed? It's my understanding that Christie's approval and polling is WAY down in NJ and he would not necessarily win reelection there if another one was held.

Are you saying this seriously?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

SumYungGui posted:

Given the current make up of GOP politicians, chances are pretty good that insulting veterans in an incredibly media friendly way will happen. The question is if they can manage to really piss off the veteran groups in a way that actually costs them votes come November. That seems pretty unlikely, unfortunately.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gyges posted:

Given the current make up of GOP politicians, chances are pretty good that insulting veterans in an incredibly media friendly way will happen. The question is if they can manage to really piss off the veteran groups in a way that actually costs them votes come November. That seems pretty unlikely, unfortunately.

I have a hard time separating how baked-in peoples' political choices are in reality and how they are in my own paranoid, pessimistic head, but I feel like if they just spoke their true mind once about it they'd lose at least a few points.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
I suspect you would see a lot of conservatives shift blame onto "politicians" as a class and take it as more evidence that we need to vote Republican to tear down the government.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Large segments of society still believe Republicans are the party of helping the troops despite the fact that they routinely move to cut their benefits and pay. It's something that the Democrats have really failed to capitalize on IMO seeing how easy it would be to point out how the right keeps loving over the troops.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Mornacale posted:

I suspect you would see a lot of conservatives shift blame onto "politicians" as a class and take it as more evidence that we need to vote Republican to tear down the government.

This or, they'll say our nation has always dishonored our veterans, but especially that wily Democrat racist Wilson.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Axetrain posted:

Large segments of society still believe Republicans are the party of helping the troops despite the fact that they routinely move to cut their benefits and pay. It's something that the Democrats have really failed to capitalize on IMO seeing how easy it would be to point out how the right keeps loving over the troops.
Dems tried real hard to move that way in 2006 with the "Bring them home" campaign. They also worked at changing the VA from a total shithouse to a not all that bad except in a few areas shithouse. Shinseki got the hardest grilling from Senate Dems who had been working on the "We support the troops at home, while Repubs cut funding constantly" angle. Those Dems saw that this looks and is very bad.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Wow, I'm at a wake for the weekend and despite a major news event and a fascinating NPR story that prompted a bunch of responses the thread is basically dead. Welp.

4 SCOTUS decisions just dropped and it looks like 2 of the 4 are a complete shot to the crotch for anyone hoping things will get better, and the others iffy. Using an IQ test to tell if someone is mentally retarded is out, though still no clarification of what is an acceptable measure to determine if you are violating Atkins v Virginia or not. The remaining one I'm not sure how it shakes out because I know sweet gently caress all about tribal law and native sovereignty.

But the remaining 2 extend immunity of law enforcement and curtail common interpretations of the 1st and 4th amendment so there we are

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Oh, and the AP is reporting Obama is close to sending in military advisors to train the Syrian rebels.

Because that has gone so well every time we've tried it in the past.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Fried Chicken posted:

Oh, and the AP is reporting Obama is close to sending in military advisors to train the Syrian rebels.

I for one am looking forward to another Vietnam.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

Wow, I'm at a wake for the weekend and despite a major news event and a fascinating NPR story that prompted a bunch of responses the thread is basically dead. Welp.

4 SCOTUS decisions just dropped and it looks like 2 of the 4 are a complete shot to the crotch for anyone hoping things will get better, and the others iffy. Using an IQ test to tell if someone is mentally retarded is out, though still no clarification of what is an acceptable measure to determine if you are violating Atkins v Virginia or not. The remaining one I'm not sure how it shakes out because I know sweet gently caress all about tribal law and native sovereignty.

But the remaining 2 extend immunity of law enforcement and curtail common interpretations of the 1st and 4th amendment so there we are

What was the NPR story?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Fried Chicken posted:

FYI we've been arming and training Syrian rebels in Jordan since last year.

iamnotcreative
Jul 28, 2002
What, you expected something creative here?

comes along bort posted:

FYI we've been arming and training Syrian rebels in Jordan since last year.

Speaking of poo poo shows that should never have started:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/26/politics/cia-white-house/index.html

Apparently the White House accidentally outed the top CIA official in Afghanistan. I can't wait for the usual suspects to call treason on this. "Valerie Plame? Who the hell is that?"

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

zoux posted:

What was the NPR story?

"Guilty and Charged" was the broadcast, the column had a longer name. It was about how trying to make up revenues from top bracket tax cuts and the mentality of treating defendants as "consumers" had resulted in a massive shift downward of justice system expenses to a massive amount of fees that the poor often can't pay. So then they get tossed in prison even though debtors prisons are technically illegal

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Fried Chicken posted:

By "Law enforcement" you mean the Secret Service.

At least I'm assuming you're talking about this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Mayor Dave posted:

I for one am looking forward to another Vietnam.

There's going to be an ugly war regardless so if the world gets more pho bo vien out of it, that'd be a definite improvement.

• Locked thread