Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
That just kind of helps the idea that despite their appearances and position, the God Hand in their embodiments are super raw, nasty human

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I'm kind of worried to see what's actually going on with the souls of the dead :ohdear:

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Zorak posted:

He's had multiple chances to kill him with Zodd, but both times they deemed it completely unnecessary and Griffith bailed. Of course, Griffith's reticence may be driven by that part of his current manifestation is Guts' unborn child's own attachment driving it. Zodd outright just respects Guts yeah, but he's certainly not got any injunctions against killing him anyways.
Zodd is a pretty cool dude as far as mass-murdering demon lunatics go; he's almost pleasant when compared to most of the other apostles with their ridiculous cruelties. Some of Griffith's other minions like Locus and Irvine also seem almost noble if you can overlook that they too are monsters who sacrificed their loved ones at some point and currently willingly follow the king demon bastard himself.

Not that I'm not looking forward to Guts splitting each one of them in half, though. Griffith is going to fall from grace a second time, and it will be glorious.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Griffith is still really pissed at Guts for cheating on him leaving his army so he's giving him a really extended silent treatment.

DKD
Dec 25, 2011

Soulcleaver posted:

Zodd is a pretty cool dude as far as mass-murdering demon lunatics go; he's almost pleasant when compared to most of the other apostles with their ridiculous cruelties. Some of Griffith's other minions like Locus and Irvine also seem almost noble if you can overlook that they too are monsters who sacrificed their loved ones at some point and currently willingly follow the king demon bastard himself.

Is it ever stated why the apostles are following Griffith? Given that apostles can still keep some semblance of humanity (Roshinu, the slug baron), and that the apostles seemed to be genuinely risking their lives fighting on Griffith's behalf (which would seem out of character for a creature which sacrificed its beloved for selfish reasons), perhaps the apostles are just as taken in by the idealism of Griffith's vision as the humans? Maybe even an apostle can have regrets, or hope for forgiveness and salvation.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

DKD posted:

Is it ever stated why the apostles are following Griffith? Given that apostles can still keep some semblance of humanity (Roshinu, the slug baron), and that the apostles seemed to be genuinely risking their lives fighting on Griffith's behalf (which would seem out of character for a creature which sacrificed its beloved for selfish reasons), perhaps the apostles are just as taken in by the idealism of Griffith's vision as the humans? Maybe even an apostle can have regrets, or hope for forgiveness and salvation.

When your devil boss asks you to do something for him you don't get to question it too much.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

DKD posted:

Ganishka commented that the Apostles feel a religious-like desire to serve the God Hand, it's their calling. That's why Zodd serves him: it's a power greater than him that gives him finally peace of purpose rather than the endless centuries of immortal ennui.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Griffith is quite possibly capable of killing every single apostle by himself, but that isn't the main point. He is pretty much the god of apostles but more importantly, it isn't like they are immune to his absurd charisma. Unlike the duped human citizens, the apostles know a little more about what goes on behind the curtain. However, even though they know that Griffith is faking being a religious icon they also know that it doesn't make his power any less real. The only two rebels were Zod and the emperor, and we all know how that went. If there were any others they were almost certainly killed off-panel, but who cares about minor random apostles?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Not to mention Ganishka's rebellion was even part of the grand plan after all.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Serious Frolicking posted:

Griffith is quite possibly capable of killing every single apostle by himself, but that isn't the main point. He is pretty much the god of apostles but more importantly, it isn't like they are immune to his absurd charisma. Unlike the duped human citizens, the apostles know a little more about what goes on behind the curtain. However, even though they know that Griffith is faking being a religious icon they also know that it doesn't make his power any less real. The only two rebels were Zod and the emperor, and we all know how that went. If there were any others they were almost certainly killed off-panel, but who cares about minor random apostles?

When was Zodd a rebel?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

When was Zodd a rebel?

He challenged Griffith and got his horn cut off for his trouble. From then on he quietly submitted.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Yeah I don't think Zodd counts as rebelling against the Godhand. Remember he went after Wyld when he (Wyld) was about to lay open Griffith. He's just that one character archetype "graaar I only wish for BATTLE with WORTHY OPPONENTS" but he's a really well-done example of it. He was on that mountain of corpses being really unsatisfied with his life and then astral Griffith came along and schooled him in milliseconds so now he follows him.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

A couple chapters from now Guts will be in a fight against some demon and dodge a fraction of a second too late and be disemboweled. The manga will then end.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It wasn't much of a rebellion, but he did try to fight Griffith. Since I rather doubt that Griffith went around recruiting apostles one by one, doing even that much was likely very unusual.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Zorak posted:

He's had multiple chances to kill him with Zodd, but both times they deemed it completely unnecessary and Griffith bailed. Of course, Griffith's reticence may be driven by that part of his current manifestation is Guts' unborn child's own attachment driving it. Zodd outright just respects Guts yeah, but he's certainly not got any injunctions against killing him anyways.

But Griffith hasn't been actively hunting Guts at all, no, beyond Apostles doing their normal thing. Even when they attacked Flora, their goal was to remove her from the equation, not Guts. When Ganishka showed up Zodd was more than willing to just team up with Guts and let him move along afterwards since it's not really a priority.

That's a fair point. I interpreted its unnecessary-ness as "eh, he's constantly being hunted by apostles, no need to waste the effort even if I really hate this fucker" and not them just not caring about it.

quote:

I dunno, it's just my pet theory. Casca was willing to abandon her life with Guts to take care of Griffith when he'd been reduced to a bag of bones after he was locked up, her literally returning to Griffith after all of this would be the biggest gently caress you that Miura could do to Guts, imo, which is kind of Miura's modus operandi.

Eh. I see what you're saying but that was kinda before he horrifically murdered almost all of her friends and brutally raped her, impregnating her with a demon baby. I would be very very surprised if there's not some major lingering resentment over that.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

Shugojin posted:

I'm kind of worried to see what's actually going on with the souls of the dead :ohdear:

Now you've got me believing in ghost rape too. Ectoplasm everywhere!!! :stonk:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Ytlaya posted:

A couple chapters from now Guts will be in a fight against some demon and dodge a fraction of a second too late and be disemboweled. The manga will then end.
Fairy dust will heal that right up!

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

temple posted:

Sword of the Berserk: Guts' Rage (Dreamcast) is true to Berserk (Retribution arc) but is a bad game in general. It has a Berserk meter, the crossbow, bombs, throwing knives. The plot is decent or predictably Berserk-ish. Supergreatfriend did a let's play of it.
Just started watching this and am really enjoying it. You can tell it was actually written by Miura, and is a pretty good distraction between seasons chapters.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Eh. I see what you're saying but that was kinda before he horrifically murdered almost all of her friends and brutally raped her, impregnating her with a demon baby. I would be very very surprised if there's not some major lingering resentment over that.

Stupid clarification from me but Griffith didn't impregnate Casca, she was already pregnant.

mechacop
May 12, 2014

Add me on SNES Live

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Stupid clarification from me but Griffith didn't impregnate Casca, she was already pregnant.

All my friends took away that the child was Femto's and I'm astounded people don't realize that the child Casca gave birth to is Guts'.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Its a magic demon baby. It has two fathers.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Oh, so whatsherface the psychic girl can hear and relay the voices of the dead? I can't wait to for her to hear what the original Band have to say!

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Illuyankas posted:

Oh, so whatsherface the psychic girl can hear and relay the voices of the dead? I can't wait to for her to hear what the original Band have to say!

Since they got killed as sacrifices, the original Band of the HawkFalcon got sucked into that vortex that robs you of your memories and basically melds you with the collective unconscious. I imagine they don't have much to say.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

mechacop posted:

All my friends took away that the child was Femto's and I'm astounded people don't realize that the child Casca gave birth to is Guts'.
Really? Why's it a hosed up demon thing, then?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Femto, uh, "corrupted" it seemingly.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

IronicDongz posted:

Really? Why's it a hosed up demon thing, then?

Guts is the natural father of the "Moonchild". Casca carried it until she was raped by Femto during the Eclipse. She and Guts were never intended to survive the Eclipse, and Skull Knight made a last second rescue which (hopefully) was never part of the Godhand's plans.

Casca miscarried shortly after the Eclipse from all the trauma, but because the fetus was exposed to the Eclipse and Femto's corruption, it survived outside her womb and vanished in the light of dawn.

Later the fetus made friends with the Belhilt Apostle (the one that was literally a giant Belhilt), and it merged together with it to form Griffith's new earthly body.

Or, to put it bluntly, Griffith is his own grandpa.

Not sure why we're spoiling this but I guess there are lots of new readers in here, too.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Uhhhhhhh so what was the deal with the child just hanging around and the vanishing at various points in the story? And why did the child look like Griffith if it was Guts' and Casca's

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Wachepti posted:

Uhhhhhhh so what was the deal with the child just hanging around and the vanishing at various points in the story? And why did the child look like Griffith if it was Guts' and Casca's

"It is natural for a child to long for its parents." - Paraphrasing from an actual line.

It may have been corrupted by Griffith, but it's still Guts and Caska's child, and it knows it. That's why it stalked Guts all those times pre-second Eclipse.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Wachepti posted:

They're the same, supposedly. Griffith and that kid are sharing the same body. I recall Griffith making a comment alluding to such, and the moonchild rides off on Zodd at one point as well doesn't he?

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

They're the same, supposedly. Griffith and that kid are sharing the same body. I recall Griffith making a comment alluding to such, and the moonchild rides off on Zodd at one point as well doesn't he?

I believe that during one of his appearances Zodd is just barely visible standing off panel in the distance. Though can't remember when.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I mean technically yes but it's Griffith's fault it's a hosed up demon baby.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

U-DO Burger posted:

Since they got killed as sacrifices, the original Band of the HawkFalcon got sucked into that vortex that robs you of your memories and basically melds you with the collective unconscious. I imagine they don't have much to say.

While true (and something I'd forgotten) I can't imagine that hearing what the dead REALLY have to say about it won't be a factor in turning Sonia against Griffith.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
sonia: "hosed up if true"

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I initially thought the moonchild was still Guts and Casca's kid, but it doesn't really make sense since it turned into Griffith's body. It was a weird misshaped fetus thing and used the last of it's power to save Casca at the tower of conviction. Why would it suddenly age up and appear apart from Griffith?

The moonchild seems to be King Hanafubuku, or at least someone from the elf kingdom. There was one particular page where it showed him like riding some sort of spectral wind thing right by the moon when they were describing the elf king, but for the life of me I can't find it now.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Shugojin posted:

He is likely using them to climb towards the next castle: The Idea of Evil. The Idea is literally the collective consciousness of the negative emotions of all beings. Griffith is likely trying to set up himself as a god to rival and displace the Idea. All this stuff with collecting all the people to one spot, the Pope and religion is to solidify himself as a living deity. He's warping the minds of every human at the moment, they're going to stop praying to God and start praying for Griffith to save them from any troubles and to cure any wants in life.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Begemot posted:

I initially thought the moonchild was still Guts and Casca's kid, but it doesn't really make sense since it turned into Griffith's body. It was a weird misshaped fetus thing and used the last of it's power to save Casca at the tower of conviction. Why would it suddenly age up and appear apart from Griffith?

The moonchild seems to be King Hanafubuku, or at least someone from the elf kingdom. There was one particular page where it showed him like riding some sort of spectral wind thing right by the moon when they were describing the elf king, but for the life of me I can't find it now.
Why can't they be one in the same? Sometimes he's Griffith, sometimes it's the moonchild. Evil demon magic or whatever.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

YouTuber posted:

He is likely using them to climb towards the next castle: The Idea of Evil. The Idea is literally the collective consciousness of the negative emotions of all beings. Griffith is likely trying to set up himself as a god to rival and displace the Idea. All this stuff with collecting all the people to one spot, the Pope and religion is to solidify himself as a living deity. He's warping the minds of every human at the moment, they're going to stop praying to God and start praying for Griffith to save them from any troubles and to cure any wants in life.

This is now my headcanon.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I thought it was, if not explicitly stated, heavily implied that the moon child is the elf king.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

Why can't they be one in the same? Sometimes he's Griffith, sometimes it's the moonchild. Evil demon magic or whatever.

I vaguely remember there being something at some point hinting at that possibility. Damned if I know where, though.

Literally Kermit posted:

Guts is the natural father of the "Moonchild". Casca carried it until she was raped by Femto during the Eclipse. She and Guts were never intended to survive the Eclipse, and Skull Knight made a last second rescue which (hopefully) was never part of the Godhand's plans.

Given how the baby surviving and being spurned by Guts ultimately resulted in it becoming Griffith's earthly vessel, that was probably a part of the Idea of Evil's plans, though not the Godhand's given they were surprised by the SK appearing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Nate RFB posted:

I'm not going to say that weird poo poo doesn't happen for mystical reasons in Berserk, but there isn't really any good evidence for it being the demon child. It didn't appear only during the full moon and it looked like a weird abomination. If it was being aged up by Griffith's power for some reason, then I would expect it to have white hair to hint at the connection, at the very least.